mestahl's Dailyish No S Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mestahl

mestahl's Dailyish No S Check-In

Post by mestahl » Fri May 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Well here I am - back after a billion years. You see I got super cocky, did No S for a while then discovered what a fantastic cook I was and started cooking all the things. I baked bread, I made dishes of lasagna, I made hundreds of gallon bags of olive oil and brown sugar granola. And then - I got fat - really fat - like I looked like I developed a shuffle fat. And then I went on this crazy strict keto low carb diet for over a year. I lost like 40 lbs but omg - I felt like crap. Then, in December 2015 I decided after 25 years of dieting - I could no longer do anymore calorie counting, carb counting, praying the weight away, manifesting the fat off etc.

No S feels like the most gentle and loving ways of eating. I'm recovering from self inflicted mean girl mind and right now I need to feel I'm doing something without doing something harsh. I've already slowly started to implement No S. I need to ease into this or its curtains before I even get started.

So for my yesterday checkin - it wasn't bad. I plan on playing this straight vanilla for a while but I managed no seconds and no snacking. I ate a proper 3 squares for Thursday and felt I had more energy. I did have the last piece of anniversary cake so I failed the no sugar part as my anniversary was technically the day before. Anyways, no sweat - I got this.

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Sat May 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Day 2 - Friday 5-20-2016

That was not as hard as I remember it being. I guess when you go a whole year without eating 20 grams of carbs or more - No S will feel like a piece of cake (hah).

Today, I was able to maintain all of my No S-ing without much difficulty. I know some days will be harder than others but I'm grateful for an easy day.I did notice at dinner that I did pile my plate kind of high, I ended up not eating all of it anyways and I sort of laughed at myself.

Onward!

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Sun May 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Day 3 - This was actually an S day so I wanted to make sure I had a good day. As far as eating too much - it didn't really happen. I did have one snack - a handful of mixed nuts. Also, I ate a few marshmallows and half a chocolate bar. We had dinner out with a friend and I made a very poor choice from the menu - fish and chips - soggy and sad. Ever have one of those days where nothing you ate tasted really good? We had a major storm come through and we lost power around 8pm and then I couldn't open the fridge so we ended up having a really great conversation and going to bed early. It was a nice evening.

Today is Sunday and I've decided that since Wednesday and Thursday were sorta S days for me, I will cut it short this weekend. So today is an N day.

Onward!

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Mon May 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Day 4 - Sunday was an N day for me. One thing I noticed - we were getting hungry while running errands on Sunday and normally I would have eaten a snack but instead we (my hubby and I) stopped and had a proper lunch. This makes way more sense than gobbling down a Kind bar and having lunch later. It was a green day - not bad. I also noticed that I was really hungry by dinner.

Onward!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon May 23, 2016 3:41 pm

mestahl wrote:... stopped and had a proper lunch. This makes way more sense than gobbling down a Kind bar and having lunch later.
Isn't it great when the wisdom of this way of living/eating becomes so transparent in a situation?! Sounds like you're doing great.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon May 23, 2016 5:57 pm

mestahl wrote: One thing I noticed - we were getting hungry while running errands on Sunday and normally I would have eaten a snack but instead we (my hubby and I) stopped and had a proper lunch.
i did that with the dinner today... i just had it earlier... so snacking was prevented...
it is my hungry day today, anyway... but i also had to take breakfast earlier than usually so maybe it is also because of that...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Tue May 24, 2016 11:16 am

Hi osoniye!

Thank you so much for the encouragement, I can really use it. It seems this time around I'm not totally white knuckling the No S diet. I'm sure it has easier and harder times but right now I'm feeling good. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Kaalii,
I like your name :D
Thanks for stopping by! I like to think that on those days where I could eat my fridge that my metabolism is just rolling like an old timey steam engine and I need to give it some fuel to go. So, I just eat larger meals (heaping high one plates) and it seems to resolve itself.

Thanks goodness for a glass of milk too, that has been a real lifesaver for me. :D :D

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Tue May 24, 2016 11:31 am

No S- Monday - Day 6

I stuck with my plain vanilla No S Today. I noticed that I like a heavy breakfast and a heavy dinner and a glass of milk when I get home from work to tide me over until dinner. Mondays are sort of my zombie days - I shuffle to and from work - slightly out of it. I don't know if weekends are just enough to knock me out of whack or what. I survived though, Tuesdays are always far better and easier.

Onward!

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 am

Yesterday was another green day! My hubby and I talked about what sort of treat we'd like to have this weekend. I love to cook and I think I'm pretty good at it but while I was torturing myself during the year of no carbs, I stopped baking all together. It was hard and now I'm glad that I can go back to baking bread or making a pizza or from time to time a pan of brownies.

Onward!

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed May 25, 2016 11:27 am

Nice one mestahl! I've been back and forth with no s and like you I'm finding this time easier..it's just clicked.
Good luck with it all and I agree this is really the best way of eating..I've tried all the other ways too!!!

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Thu May 26, 2016 3:14 pm

Cedar - I counted it up a while back and I've been on a diet for nearly twenty years! That is just shocking. Thanks for the well wishes - it seems you are having just as much of an easy time as I am :) Also, thanks for stopping by!

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Thu May 26, 2016 3:17 pm

Today I noticed that my pants were looser. Thank goodness because omg those things were snug a week ago. Yesterday (Wednesday) was another green day. I've noticed a trend I never picked up on before - I eat while I cook. Now that I've noticed it, I have to remind myself to step away from the spoon - no tasting! I've consulted the boards thanks to a search and got some good advice thanks to you beautiful people :D

Onward!

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Fri May 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Thursday

Thursdays are my busiest days at work. I run around like a mad woman slinging books onto carts, messing about with paperwork, shelving books. By Thursday evenings I am ravenous. I've learned though that on Thursdays I need to eat a more satisfying lunch. Self care currently looks like an extra piece of fruit for lunch. So Thursday was a green day although it was not easily won.

Onward!

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Mon May 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Saturday and Sunday

Saturday was my first true S day of the week. I ended up eating a bunch of chocolate candy and an ice cream and feeling terribly ill.

Sunday I took as an N day. I needed to recover also I have Monday off for Memorial Day and I figured if I needed to, I could make Monday a S day. Sunday was easy and thank goodness my stomach upset from Saturday subsided. A No S day after a S day feels like a relief.

Onward!

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon May 30, 2016 8:55 pm

You're doing great..good on you. It's an awful feeling isn't it..eating too many sweets come s days. I had a horror S day a few weeks back but I can now see it's important to really feel the difference between the wild days and normal days, then we can choose how we want to act in the future rather than feeling as though we are deprived and restricted and then we rebel against that..it feels very grown up.
All the best xx

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Tue May 31, 2016 12:01 pm

Cedar - Something I've also noticed - if I eat a bunch of low quality junk food then I really pay on S Days. So, I've concocted a plan that I will focus on quality not quantity on S days.

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Tue May 31, 2016 12:05 pm

Monday - Happy Memorial day! Today was my S day. As I previously stated - I switched Sunday to a N day because I knew somehow, I'd be eating chocolate. My husband and I did a few things around the house and then headed to a Memorial Day shindig at a local brewery. Beside the local brewery was a fantastic french bakery and boy on boy did I luck out! I had the best eclair of my life and a half of a piece of lemon raspberry cream cake. It was wonderful. I did not feel ill. We got home a little late so I took some fresh tortellini from the store and made a light cream sauce for dinner. That was the extent of my S day. This morning I do not feel ill and I'm happy to report that my pants are still snug but much less so.

Onward!

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:41 am

Excellent! Yes agree with the importance of quality..I find if I don't take the time to plan a great quality treat I just kind of aimlessly eat bits and pieces and it feels like a complete waste of an s day!
Good luck!

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Cedar, I've noticed that a handful of M&Ms (for example) will cause me to graze for the rest of the day while an eclair made beautifully is satisfying to both the eyes and palate. Thanks for stopping by :D

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Oy this week! I was so busy at work and then my mother called me last minute to say she was coming down with my step father. So, I spent the week running around like a crazy woman. I stuck to my No-sing but omg it was not easy when all I really wanted to do was cower in a corner with a chocolate cake and cry.

BUT that is now over and I am sitting victoriously on the couch with a fantastic cup of coffee and a feeling of accomplishment. Yesterday was an S day - the kind of S day where I ate junk and went to bed with a belly ache. Im taking a knee today (Sunday) and calling this a No S day, I don't need any more junk today.

Today I'm going to focus on a Sabbath like sense of self care. Very little work, lots of herbal tea and reading lots and lots of reading (maybe a little laundry).

Onward!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Great job on sticking to NoS under stressful conditions! I'm always a bit of a wreck before we have company. Trying make everything look perfect. I would not be happy if someone sprung it on me like that but it's your mom so what can you do, right?

Sorry about the bellyache kind of s day (I've had my share of those) but glad you're focusing on self-care rather than punishment today! That'll get you much further.

Enjoy your day!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:37 am

Hi lpearlmom - Yes my Mom - the person I clean my house the most thoroughly up for. In hindsight I think her visit was a valuable lesson for me. I cannot do everything! I got myself all stressed out and worked up and really she barely even looked around. I'm glad someone understands :D , my husband just kept looking at me like I was a lunatic.

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:42 am

Yesterday I rested. I tackled a reading project that I wanted to start a long time ago and I tried to eat three meals that made me feel good. I had to actively resist the urge to mow our lawn. I kept thinking what great exercise it would be when really it is better for me to wait until Wednesday when it will be much cooler and it won't have to be done this weekend.

Because I rested yesterday I woke up feeling rested this morning and less cranky over it being Monday. Ahhh so thats why its called self care. Anyways, I had another green day on Sunday. Observation: The day after an S day is always the hardest to stick to especially when it comes to no snacking.

Anyways, Onward!

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Oh,, this is delightful to read! Yes, self care is very important. Glad you're feeling great, doing this, and I appreciate your note there, about going back to a green day, because I had S days two in a row...seconds, snacks, AND sweets. Yeah, I'm glad to step into a N day, after two S's.

and, I hear you on the total icky no energy feel of a high protein diet. It takes the pounds off, while destroying every other aspect of your health. This No S thing...THIS...is the answer.

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi bunsofaluminum (omg I love your name!) I have never ever lost weight as quickly as I did when I did low carb and I have never ever had the weird health problems including high blood pressure until I did low carb. I'm not even trying to lose weight at this point, I'm just trying to recover my health!At one point I was so screwed up from low carb eating that I was afraid of a bowl of unsweetened oatmeal! Thanks for stopping by, I am glad to see another high protein survivor on my side :D

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:44 pm

I love my husband, I truly adore him and he is the most supportive and caring person I know.

BUT

I watched him eat a chocolate bar with hazelnuts last night and it was not easy. What I wanted was a sliver but I knew deep down that a sliver would never be enough and honestly I wasn't hungry. So I had a green day on Monday but I cheated in my heart. Doesn't matter though, I'm proud of myself for making it through. A green day is a green day is a green day.

Onward!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Oh that's tough! My husband is diabetic so he's usually the one feeling envious of my food.

Great job on pushing through though. Usually if there's something I really want during the week, I make a note of it to have available for the weekend.

And yes wanting something in your heart definitely does not count as a red day! ;)

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:17 pm

mestahl wrote:So I had a green day on Monday but I cheated in my heart.
Fortunately, NoS doesn't care if you cheat in your heart. It only cares about habit! :D
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:17 pm

lpearlmom - something I've noticed, whenever I make a note of something that I want on my S days - I usually don't want it anymore :lol: . That is the true clincher there - my cravings are quite fleeting!

osoniye - Amen to that. Wonder if smelling the chocolate wrapper is getting too close to actually putting it into my mouth?

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Tuesdays are far better than Mondays, imho of course. By Tuesday I have accepted that I am locked into the work week and I am traveling along nicely. Last night I made quite a meal for my hubby who had to skip dinner on Sunday evening (I always make an elaborate meal on Sundays). So I made chicken parm with real pasta and a homemade sauce.

A year ago I would have zoodled myself into an oblivion and served that with some low carb breaded chicken. Not an appetizing meal.

But yesterday I made it the correct way and oh my it was so good. I ate just enough to feel blissful and full. My hubby and I even have leftovers for today's lunch. Huzzah, another green day!

Onward!

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:29 pm

this place needs a like button! ha! excellent post about fixing real food for your hubby and you. Ain't it great.