HoneyBeeNYC's Weekly Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

HoneyBeeNYC

HoneyBeeNYC's Weekly Check-In

Post by HoneyBeeNYC » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:02 pm

I said I wouldn't check in for a month. I didn't lie, things changed. :lol:

For me, No S means No Stressing about the details, so I'm not going to list the foods I ate, etc. Suffice it to say I ate three meals a day, did pretty well until Friday.

I'm injured and I'm in rehab. My favorite form of therapy always has been long walks, and with my injury (plantar fasciitis) walking more than a few blocks causes pain. I prefer not to put an adjective in front of the word pain. I think you get the picture.

On Friday this that and the other thing happened and it all boiled over into one big Anger Bubble and it burst and I did me some snacking and second portioning.

But here's the important thing to note. I did not go crazy, or binge. I just ate a bit more than Vanilla No S. I calmed myself down with the idea that tomorrow I could slack off a bit and still be on it. And also: eating won't make it so. So enjoy that bag of pretzels, but it won't cure a thing. It's just a bag of pretzels. Telling myself that is sort of comforting.

Saturday & Sunday were fine, except for a failed attempt at walking. OK, no more of that (sigh). I'll have to exercise in a different way. I'm seeing another orthopedist tomorrow.

I weighed myself today and was down 1.5 pounds. But that's a side effect. I was 80% sane with food this week. :lol: (With my foot, more like 40% sane. :x)

Starting weight: 145lbs
Present weight: 143.5

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:57 pm

I hope the new orthopedist is able to help you with the walking pain--that's got to be frustrating! :(

Good for you that you didn't go way off track this weekend! Honestly, emotional issues are my top problems with controlling my eating. It's so easy to try to make the "hollow gut" feeling go away by filling your actual "gut." But, as you said, in the end, it doesn't help the real problem.

But after all that, you're still down 1.5 pounds, so your 80% food sanity must have worked for you! :) Great job!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

HoneyBeeNYC

Post by HoneyBeeNYC » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:04 pm

LifeisaBlessing wrote:I hope the new orthopedist is able to help you with the walking pain--that's got to be frustrating! :(

Good for you that you didn't go way off track this weekend! Honestly, emotional issues are my top problems with controlling my eating. It's so easy to try to make the "hollow gut" feeling go away by filling your actual "gut." But, as you said, in the end, it doesn't help the real problem.

But after all that, you're still down 1.5 pounds, so your 80% food sanity must have worked for you! :) Great job!
Thank you, Life.

My new orthopedist is fantastic. The first orthopedist was terrible. I had worked with him on another issue (now resolved) which seemed to fascinate him, but boring old plantar fasciitis didn't thrill him so he dissed me. Dissed as in disrespected, and dismissed. In retrospect I realized that he wasn't interested in me, but my injury. What do you think about that? :roll:

I think just having a sympathetic carer is half the battle.

I would have been in a total pickle (pun intended) w/out No S the past few days. I would literally have been biting my knuckles (not eating them, I don't go that far) stressing & fretting about eating, and berating myself. That is so over.