Swissmiss123 check-ins

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

swissmiss123

Swissmiss123 check-ins

Post by swissmiss123 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:17 am

Hello &#128522;

I'm giving NoS Vanilla a try now that I have learned more about its true simplicity. When I first heard about No S I musunderstood it bc of the mods that the person who shared it with me adopted. I recently listened to all of the podcasts and it made a huge difference for me in seeing the beauty and potential for changes larger than the scale.

Today is the weekday start of my second week. I had one fail last week - Friday which I can see will be challenging each week.

I notice that early in the week I feel cranky around 2/3/4pm when I used to snack, snack, snack. Last week that wore off toward the end of the week, but after a weekend of relishing S days, my body is fussy - I'm short fused - about that window. Curious if it eases as the week progresses.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:54 am

Hi! Welcome to No S!

A mid-afternoon pause for something definite to drink helps - be that tea, coffee, herbal, hot chocolate - just stopping and focussing on the drink is a good one to try.

Also, make sure you eat enough for lunch.

Before No S I used to have a snack at mid-morning, mid-afternoon, mid-evening! When I began No S I allowed myself to have ONE snack a day (instead of three) - but I stopped needing that after about 10 days. If you go to my thread, and read the first page, you can read about that if you like.

Also, I do find that after eating more food, more frequently, and including sugar - on the weekends, Mondays can be harder. If that happens, I plan to have a substantial plate of food for lunch - and a hot chocolate in the evening. So I'm still within my 'rules' for the day. That works for me.

I hope you will feel free to experiment and figure out what works best for you. The podcasts are great, and I often go back to refresh my understanding.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:18 pm

RAWCOOKIE wrote:Hi! Welcome to No S!

A mid-afternoon pause for something definite to drink helps - be that tea, coffee, herbal, hot chocolate - just stopping and focussing on the drink is a good one to try.

Also, make sure you eat enough for lunch.

Before No S I used to have a snack at mid-morning, mid-afternoon, mid-evening! When I began No S I allowed myself to have ONE snack a day (instead of three) - but I stopped needing that after about 10 days. If you go to my thread, and read the first page, you can read about that if you like.

Also, I do find that after eating more food, more frequently, and including sugar - on the weekends, Mondays can be harder. If that happens, I plan to have a substantial plate of food for lunch - and a hot chocolate in the evening. So I'm still within my 'rules' for the day. That works for me.

I hope you will feel free to experiment and figure out what works best for you. The podcasts are great, and I often go back to refresh my understanding.
Hi Swissmiss, Rawcookie hits on a key ingredient to making NoS work. Eat enough at meals to assuage your appetite. I've found that foods with some fats in them are more satisfying. Personally I'd never make it to next meal with an apple for breakfast or just a salad for lunch like some folks. Unless the salad has a liberal portion of chicken or ham and cheese on top. Welcome.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

swissmiss123

Post by swissmiss123 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:21 am

Thank you for the welcomes !

Today was much better than Monday. Hope I can tone it down this weekend - really it was all the snacking in the afternoon. It just makes me feel icky!

I ate more at breakfast and lunch and that helped. Swissmiss is the name I chose bc I love hot chocolate. So an afternoon cocoa is an idea I can embrace.

Thank you!

swissmiss123

Post by swissmiss123 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Hope I'm doing the posts right. I just hit post reply, right? (not start a new topic). ..

I've had fails each day, but I'm learning.

Reasons I failed... I would
- eat bc of stress response
- eat bc I don't want to do some task and feel resentful
- eat bc I'm tempted by things around
- eat bc I felt tired
- eat because a routine changed and I didn't want to adapt
- eat bc I craved silent time and couldn't have it in that moment
- feel confusion (stress) about whether something was in rule or out of rules, such as wine with my husband outside of a meal in the evening . . . and then get sort of a what the heck feeling and eat with the wine
- eat bc I'd feel like I didn't live up to expectations of myself
- eat bc of worry

Notably, these were NOT issues:
- access to healthful food that I like
- hunger

I think that just learning my own patterns was "worth" it this week. I went and peeked at the 21 club posts and found this inspiration that resonated and got me thinking about what I'm learning. I should have looked at the name of the poster before I started typing here!! RATS!! I'll update afterwards. Here's what the person wrote:

"What I learned:
1. Snacks were definitely my biggest problem. I really haven't been craving sweets that much.
2. I read some of the archives and found Granny's testimonial where her husband just followed the rules and lost weight, and she thought about it too much and didn't. Well, this time I'm just following the rules. I think the first time I tried No S (2010-2011), there was too much internal conflict going on. "This is stupid. I need a snack. I'm sooooo hungry." Now I don't even think about it. "Is it time for a meal? No? Sorry, then no food for you." That's it.

I'd like to adopt that simplicity of mind!! Any advice on how I should see the wine? I'm thinking that if my husband offers me a glass of wine I accept and connect. I can also offer him one. That will just be outside of NoS. We never drink more than a night or two a week and I don't struggle with glass ceiling or having too much. Hmmmm I'm not sure! Advice?

I'd like to aim for 21 day club.
Homeschool mom in Texas
Starting NoS in August 2016

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Yes, you're doing the daily blog right - this is YOUR thread - so you just keep doing 'reply' to add the next entry.
:D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs