Nettee’s 3 week push

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nettee

Nettee’s 3 week push

Post by nettee » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:08 pm

Hello - I have been on and off this board for a good 6 plus years now. Nothing works as well as a daily check in so here I am again. I have a target run to do in three weeks time and would like to lose maybe 4 or 5 lbs by then to get me up the hills.

Full disclosure - I am on Wegovy - but currently on a plateau weight wise and eating too much sugar and snacks. I have bulk cooked my intelligent dietary default lunches, shopped for some healthy meals and planned my running training with a new Monday morning long run to make a habit of. Ready to go.

Starting weight: 74.9kg or 11st 11lb.
3 tasty meals a day and loving it

nettee

Re: Nettee’s 3 week push

Post by nettee » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:24 pm

I have been reading through my old threads and goodness they are inspiring and also emotional.

The longest on was 2016 - 2018 and this included 9 months mostly on plan and a massive fall off the wagon when my son was injured. 6 years on from the accident he is fine now and ran a half marathon a year ago.

My diet has been up and down since then with a really good 6 months leading up to the pandemic followed by a big rebound in lock down and then a long period of slow losses and maintains from November 2020 to August 2022 when I started Ozempic and have had better losses. I am around 2 1/2 stone lighter than I was after the Covid lockdown and I have used no S periodically as well as getting into the Why we Eat (too much) way of eating. This involves increasing omega 3 fats vs omega 6 and reducing sugar. I am not as light as I was before the accident but am getting closer.

I started running again in 2019 and now am very into parkrun going most weeks. I made reference to my very first parkrun in 2017 and it was good to see that blast from the past which I described as fun. I have now done 122 of them and I am a run director. I also did the same 10K as I did in 2017 this year and ran a similar time so I was pleased with that. At the end of these three weeks I hoping the break the course PB which I set in 2017 at the parkrun. It is quite a tough course and I have not come close since on that one so it would be amazing if I do it. It would be great to match the pre accident weight too, which was 70.5kg or so - 11 st 1.75lb but that is probably a bit too ambitious for three weeks.

I had lots of fantastic support on that thread. Hope there is still a good community on these boards. The accountability is the same anyway but would be great to hear from anyone else on their No S journey.

nettee

Post by nettee » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:28 pm

Success for today 😃

First sugar free day for weeks. So pleased I made it. The first day is always the hardest.

nettee

Post by nettee » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:49 pm

I have been using the happy scale app to track my weight since early 2019. It is good to look back and see the patterns. I might try an app I have seen on the No S Facebook - cross out visual calendar to be the habitcal.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:49 am

Hi Nettee, welcome back! I have been using the HabitCal here on the NoS website for years. Good luck with getting to where you want to be for your race!

nettee

Post by nettee » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:09 am

Thanks Amy and well done for being consistent with Habitcal for so long. The scales are showing a good drop for me this morning after my first green day so I am feeling motivated for today.

nettee

Post by nettee » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:47 pm

Success for today. I was definitely hungry for my supper but we ate early so it was ok.

nettee

Post by nettee » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:04 pm

Fail for today 😢. I am annoyed with myself doing this on day 3. It started with some leftovers from my daughters supper and escalated. I also couldn’t get out on my track night and planned to do some treadmill running but didn’t. Back on it tomorrow I guess.

nettee

Post by nettee » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:51 am

Good start to the day I did my treadmill session this morning. Now let’s go for that Green success.

nettee

Post by nettee » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:43 pm

Success. For today. A busier evening and some determination got me through.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:11 pm

Hi Nettee,

Great job getting back on track today and welcome back to the boards. I'm rooting for you - both for your success with your plan for No S leading up to your race and for the race itself. Running sounds like something you really enjoy!

Best regards,
WIN
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.

nettee

Post by nettee » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:47 pm

Thanks Win, yes I do enjoy it. Success for today. Iots of red wine but no sweets. Having a weekend away which is fun but still able to stick to No S 🎉

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:36 pm

Well done, Nettee! Keep up the great work. Best regards, WINhappy

nettee

Post by nettee » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:11 pm

I have been away for the weekend so S days anyway but I am quite pleased with my choices. Grains and lentils in restaurants. One tiny biscuit offered at an old friends house. No ice cream at the theatre. Too much wine on Friday night sadly and a bacon bap for lunch today which is not the best choice but otherwise a sensible weekend.

nettee

Post by nettee » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:58 am

Weigh in morning after a week and I am 1 lb or 500g lighter than last Monday. Back to the N days.

nettee

Post by nettee » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:55 am

Success for Monday. A busy day with lots of driving so the temptations were there but I did ok.

nettee

Post by nettee » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:28 am

A fail for yesterday 😢. Another home from work and feeling tired binge. Definitely the most dangerous time of day. Back on it this morning with a healthy breakfast of fruit, yoghurt and chia seeds.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:23 pm

Fails happen despite our best intentions, (I think) especially on days when work gets crazy and our meals are delayed. Good job getting back on track! I hope the days since your last post have gone well. WINhappy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:43 am

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I hope you are not aiming for several pounds of fat to be gone in a few weeks; there is almost no way a person can lose 3 or 4 pounds of fat in a few weeks without huge calorie deficits or starting at a very high weight. Nearly all early weight loss is water from using up some stored glycogen. Still feels good! If you'd be happy with less water and a bit less fat, that's a different story.

I've noticed when I sometimes opt for very little starch at a few meals, I can see the metatarsals on my feet much more easily. It's fun to see but not worth that as a consistent habit. But unless you are already fat-adapted, I would think runners want glycogen stores before an event, no?

Well, you are the experienced runner here! Best wishes.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)