mir's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mir

mir's daily check in

Post by mir » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:15 pm

Now that i have survived Reinhard's "friendly fire", I'm back. Thanks to those who visited my first effort here.

I started on Thanksgiving day and I have been so thankful for this wonderful site.

Success so far. If I even think about snacking, I just remind myself of how much I want this effort to succeed. I feel much better but have probably lost nothing.

Some pants are fitting a bit looser which is good. But since the last place I gained weight was around the waist, I'm thinking it will be the last place I lose.

mir

Post by mir » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:00 pm

Still working hard to make this successful.

Haven't screwed up an N day yet. At least I don't think I have.

On many of the threads here I've been reading about measuring food and what kinds of food we can eat and it has raised some questions in my mind.

Am I not doing this right? I eat 3 plates a day, period. But I eat what I want.

No sweets, no seconds, no snacks. Are there a bunch more rules I haven't figured out?

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:49 am

You can read some of the posts on the boards about individual questions and see what fits you. Women tend to need to cut back what is on their plates since we use less calories, but most men seem to be able to just keep it to one plate & lose weight. Of course, you can't have loads of beef, lasagne and tacos smothered in grease & cheese every night. That doesn't make sense. You will find that as your body gets used to eating less you will want to make your meals healthier. It is just a normal phase we all get to eventually when we realize that we are only eating 3 times per day and we need to make it count to run our bodies in the best way possible.

Remember that this is an eating plan for life, not a diet. Your body is a machine and it needs nutrients to perform well and not break down early. If you abuse it long enough it will break down on you. But you have started to change your poor eating habits by coming here like the rest of us.

If what you can manage right now is 3 plates per day then go for it. That really is all NO S is about, reawlly. The better nutrition will come along when you are ready to move to the next step of eating right for your health and future and NOT your palate.

I hope that helped a bit. Take care!
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:23 am

People do all kinds of stuff here. But all no s requires is those simple rules. I think that's enough for most people. You can fine tune once you get that down if you want (or not).

Reinhard

mir

Post by mir » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Well, it's been going pretty well. I did take an S day when it wasn't quite one.

Went to dinner last Friday and had Brie with crackers and apple slices. I couldn't count it as part of a plate since dinner was much later.

More than two glasses of wine over the course of the evening.

The next morning to my surprise I felt as if I had lost weight. I felt lighter.

I don't know if I have because I don't own a scale and don't plan on getting one.

I'm going strictly by my clothing.

mir

Post by mir » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Today is a true S day. Christmas party at work and birthday party (brother) at home.

I think it will go well. I plan on participating but, since this is a Tuesday, I'm going to keep it sensible.

mir

Post by mir » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Yesterday was a very good S day. The company Christmas party was at a family style restaurant. I was so happy. They served all kinds of different meats and vegetables.

I had a small salad, roasted vegetables, two very small ribs, one small piece of chicken, some macaroni and cheese and a bite of peach cobbler.

The plates were just a bit bigger than a luncheon plate. It looked like a lot more food than it actually was and I had no seconds.

My brother's birthday dinner was great. We had meat loaf, baked potato, vegetables and cake. I ate no cake because I wanted none.

I feel great this morning because even tho yesterday was an S day, I didn't overdo.

elena

Post by elena » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:14 pm

congrats on your good S-day!! i cant wait to see how my first S-days turn out
elena

mir

Post by mir » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:05 pm

This last S day was not good. I ate candy. 5 pieces. I'm not sure why, since I generally don't eat candy much at all.

I'm glad today is Monday.

mir

Post by mir » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:01 pm

Yesterday was a success! I wanted candy again last night (I think that was a leftover want from Sunday) but, I didn't have any.