Sue's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

dinosaursue

Sue's Check-In

Post by dinosaursue » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:55 pm

I technically started NoS-ing last week, but wasn't too successful. I'm chalking it up to the initial fumbling that happens when reforming eating habits.

This week I'm going to use this system to keep track of my success! That way I can see how I'm doing and join the support system we've got here!

3/17: SUCCESS
According to the rules of NoS, yesterday was a failure. I had a little extra food at breakfast since I had a morning meeting at a restaurant after having had a bowl of oatmeal at home (didn't want to look like I wasn't eating anything compared to the other person!), a granola bar when I couldn't get dinner until really late, and a small bowl of cereal after working out late in the evening—I was STARVING...BUT, I'm counting it as a success because on two occasions I passed up binging on chocolate chip cookies, my absolute favorite food. And my meal choices were good, too. Okay, I'm totally making up excuses. It's a failure, now that I look back. But, I know that I used some willpower yesterday, which is going to give me strength for today! Taking one day at a time, right?

So, 3/17: FAILURE but envigorated for today!

dinosaursue

Post by dinosaursue » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:49 pm

3/19 SUCCESS

Yes! Yesterday was awesome. Today's almost over and going well. Having coffee definitely helps—it's not caloric, gives me energy, and tastes oh-so-yummy when I savor it. I again stayed at work late so I had a granola bar, but I'm not faulting myself on it. Let's see how the rest of the day goes! I feel strong-willed, so I'm optimistic!

dinosaursue

Post by dinosaursue » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:21 am

3/20 SUCCESS
3/21 SUCCESS

Yay!

dinosaursue

Post by dinosaursue » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Ewww.

Well, yesterday was an S day, and I took advantage of it. I had some cookies and brownies and snacked a bit. But ultimately, I felt gross and overly full. But, the good thing is I didn't feel guilty. I was just more aware of how my body responds to food that is good for it (the oatmeal/nut/dried fruit meal I had) versus how it responds to crap (cookie dough and brownies). I've felt gross before, but it had previously been accompanied by intense feelings of severe guilt. Now I just feel like taking action and being much more moderate with my consumption of sweets and with my snacking.

Hooray for personal growth!

3/22 S-DAY

freegirlnow

Post by freegirlnow » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:12 pm

Hooray for you! I think that No S-ing is sooooo about personal growth...and isn't it nice to dump the guilt? Keep up the good work..it really does get easier and one day it just begins to feel 'normal'. We all have our good days and bad days but just let them be a matter of feelings and not actions...stick it out for a couple of weeks and it really will start to become habit. Welcome! You have come to the right place!
"Sometimes we need to begin again, to become more fully alive, to realize ourselves"

dinosaursue

Getting back in gear!

Post by dinosaursue » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:58 pm

I fell off NoS when I got a sinus infection two weeks ago. I still feel under the weather, which has definitely impacted what I eat and when I work out. And by that I mean, I eat whatever I want and I don't work out, 'cause I feel crappy and use it as an excuse.

Well, no more excuses! I made a little chart to tape to my bathroom mirror, which helped me first get into NoS. I'm going to get it in gear, starting TODAY!

dinosaursue

Post by dinosaursue » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:57 am

4/15: FAILURE
4/16: SUCCESS
4/17: FAILURE

dinosaursue

Post by dinosaursue » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:59 am

4/18 FAILURE: almost a success, until I went to a party at my sister's and had some chips :(

4/19 S-DAY: went to a wedding. Had too much booze, but moderate on the cake!

4/20 S-DAY: really overdid it. anticipating a week without snacks or sweets.

Although I ate like crazy this weekend, I refuse to let it discourage me. Tomorrow is a new day!
Last edited by dinosaursue on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dinosaursue

Post by dinosaursue » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:20 am

4/21: SUCCESS Although I went to a Mexican restaurant so all those carbs...well, not exactly food-loss-type eating...

dinosaursue

Post by dinosaursue » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I'm slipping a lot. I felt so good when I was NoS-ing, and now I can't get back on it. I keep eating too much.

I know it shouldn't be this hard for me, but I keep giving in. Someone brought a special lunch to the office on Tuesday. "Well, I don't want to be rude," I say.

I threw a party at which I served wine and cheese on Wednesday. "I'm hanging out with friends, so it's okay."

Then it's: "Well, I'm alone and bored, so it's okay." Or, "I am so stressed, so it's okay." The excuses add up.

Darn it all! It's not okay. I'm not okay with this. Right now my weight isn't ideal, but I'm not obese. If I keep going like this, I will get very obese. My eating habits suck. And I've stopped working out, so I'm slowing adding on pounds.

I'm in a point in my life where I feel out of control. And I think my lack of control eating is both symbolic and a symptom of this loss of control. I've become lazy and apathetic, and lost my élan, which disappoints and disgusts me.

This is very diary-ish, but I need a place to "publicly" vent. I think it's nice to know that someone may read this, but more likely no one will. Either way, it's comforting to just put these fears and anger and emotions in the open.

So...

4/22 FAILURE

4/23 FAILURE

4/24 FAILURE

It's awful that I'm continuing to post when I fail so often. But I want to post these failures so that it compels me to recommit myself to NoS-ing. Because I'm trying to get back in control of my life, and this is something about which I can be active.