babyprrr's occasional check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

babyprrr

babyprrr's occasional check-in

Post by babyprrr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:11 pm

After about 9/10 months of doing NoS, I've decided to start a check-in, just to see if I'm really eating the way I think I am. When I started NoS, I decided to forgo the check-in thing, cuz I used to do that and note down calories in my pre-NoS days and I hated that, but this is different so here goes.

Yesterday..Monday..
Breakfast: green tea + orange
Lunch: bread bun with roast pork inside+ red apple
Dinner: one grilled sausage, roasted sweet potatoes and boiled cabbage...was yum, opted to have one sausage instead of two, after seeing the calories...yikes.. the sweet potatoes filled me up anyway so I didn't feel like I was depriving myself by having one sausage instead of two. Finished off with one juicy red apple.

Exercise: went to gym..20 minutes cross-training, 20 minutes jogging on treadmill, and 100 situps

Went to salsa class as well, so that's more exercise.

Good day overall.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:06 am

Tuesday:

Breakfast: green tea+ banana+ orange
Lunch: sausage bread bun + apple
Dinner: rice + 'fragrant chicken' curry+ watermelon (yummy!)

Funny stuff: had three love hearts when offered by someone..dunno how many cals they are..but they're sooo teeny ( like mints)I don't think they count. Also had a diet cola..but diet soda is my only vice and i only have one or two 500ml bottles every two weeks, so I don't count that as an S.

Exercise: none

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:15 am

Wednesday:

Breakfast: watermelon+ green tea
Lunch: glass of milk+ one large bowl of cereal ( I like my cereal dry!) + 1 banana
Dinner: Stir fried noodles with prawns and lots of veg+ watermelon again

Baked my friend's birthday cake but resisted eating bits as I went along. We're giving her the cake today so I'll probably have a slice.

Exercise: 1 and a half hours salsa class

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:16 am

Thursday: took an S-day

Breakfast: green tea+ 1 banana and few slices of watermelon
Lunch: medium portion of french fries ( last day of placement so had fries from greasy chip shop down the road).
Snack: one teeny slice of birthday cake
Dinner: two slices of homemade veggie pizza and some boiled cabbage

Drinks: two glasses of wine, 7 vodka redbulls. Definitely screwed up glass ceiling but at least I was keeping track of how much I was drinking, so I think that's a good start.

There's some birthday cake left over today which I'm going to resist.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Had sorta a crazy weekend NoS-wise, but I went away to visit a friend over a weekend so it was kinda a mini-holiday, so im not stressing over it. Plus thats what S weekends are for!

Friday
breakfast: sardine sandwich (hungover food)
lunch: instant noodles
Dinner: salad+ one slice of quiche+slice of ham+ boiled egg+ chicken drumstick
hot cross bun ( had to do some virtual plating, and they barely have any sugar in them, so i'm not counting this as an S).
Half a bottle of rose wine

SUCCESS

Saturday
Breakfast: cereal without milk + coffee
Lunch (on a beach!): sandwich roll with coleslaw, ham and cheese, coke zero, 1 banana, two mini chocolate bits
Snack: one scoop of ice cream + cone
Dinner : at nice Italian place..starter of mozzeralla bread+ seafood risotto (yum), half a bottle of white wine.

Drinks: 1 mojito+ 1 cosmo+ two vodka cokes..
Post-going out snack: fries+ 1 piece fried chicken+ two cadbury creme eggs+ half of a large chocolate egg

I'm glad there's no failure option for S-days, because in retrospect, I'm slightly disgusted by how much I ate, but I have to tell myself to NOT feel guilty about it.

SUNDAY
Breakfast: cup of tea
Lunch: sunday roast.. roast lamb+roast potatoes+ carrots+ broccoli
Snack: Dorset cream tea.. cup of tea + scone+ jam+clotted cream ( in this gorgeous seaside town called Swannage!)
Dinner: cheese on toast
Dessert: streudel+ice cream
ate rest of chocolate egg, cuz I thought there was no point keeping such a teeny bit of chocolate to tempt me in the house all weekend..so polished it off.

All in all, one of my crazier weekends, but at least I wasn't continuously binging out of guilt all weekend ( apart from that post-alcohol binging episode).

It's a bit scary and embarrassing to admit all my food habits online, I have to say...

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:12 pm

MONDAY

Breakfast: dry cereal+ coffee
Lunch: more dry cereal
Dinner: noodle soup+ one egg, orange
Green tea

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:12 pm

TUESDAY

Breakfast: green tea+ box of raisins
coffee
Lunch: big bowl of granola+ orange
Dinner: rice+ stir fry with chicken, cabbage, mushrooms, courgettes+ red apple

Exercise: twenty minutes treadmill+ twenty minutes cross training+ 100 situps

It's Easter break over here and all my housemates have gone home, but I'm still around as we only get one week off and I don't live locally enough to justify flying back :( I know a few other people who haven't gone home but can't really call them up cuz I've got lots of revision to do for finals which are next week. So this loneliness coupled with the boredom of being alone, is making me want to eat/snack. I have to keep telling myself it's only a week........

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:00 am

Wednesday:

breakfast: granola without milk+ green tea
Lunch: rice+ leftover stir fry
Dinner: chicken curry with naan bread+ 1 glass of wine
1 glass of wine later in evening

Exercise: twenty minutes treadmill+ twenty minutes cross training

Keep getting these random urges to snack out of boredom...but managing well so far. go me!

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:17 pm

Thursday:Breakfast: tea+ naan bread
Lunch: Fiorentina pizza from Pizza Express
cup of skinny latte
Dinner: granola + glass of wine ( weird dinner i know but i was not too hungry after the pizza)

I finished the whole pizza..felt a bit guilty but on the other hand, I was meeting an old friend for lunch, and I didn't break any NoS rules so I guess I shouldnt feel guilty at all. This is what I love about NoS, normally having that whole pizza would make me come home, feel guilty, and binge on whatever was in the house, but now I can come home, appreciate how full I am, and have a lighter dinner.

Exercise: none apart from walking round the shops

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:30 pm

Friday...
Breakfast: granola+ green tea
cup of skinny latte
Lunch: chicken curry+ two slices of bread ( i like dipping bread into the curry sauce..yummy!) + grapes+ lemonade

now it all goes a bit weird cuz i had this craving for more granola ( dunno why)
Snack/Dinner: granola+ apple
I had this around 4pm then skipped dinner, so im counting the day as a success as the granola ended up being my dinner, and still stuck to 3 meals. Normally the granola 'snack' at 4pm would have triggered off a binge but I knew it would still be ok if I skipped dinner ( was too full anyway)...so I didn't do a guilty binge. I love NoS!!

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:32 pm

SATURDAY:

Brunch: noodles+ green tea
Skinny latte
Dinner: one sausage+ fried egg+ couscous
Dessert: one slice of chocolate cake and small scoop of chocolate ice cream

SUNDAY:
Breakfast: sardine sandwich
Snack: bowl of granola
Lunch: bacon sandwich
Dinner: scampi+ french fries+ steamed vegetables
Dessert: one slice of carrot cake+ small piece of chocolate
Late snack: one bowl of granola ( this sometimes happens to me, late sunday night panicking about the week ahead)

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:20 pm

Monday:

Breakfast: green tea+ banana + orange
Lunch: salad with hummus ( quite a lot of hummus)
cup of skinny latte
green tea
Dinner: chicken teriyaki + broccoli+ mushroom+ courgette stir fry and rice+ apple
cup of skinny latte

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:00 am

Tuesday:

Breakfast: green tea+ bowl of granola
Lunch: sandwich with cheese, tomato and chicken. red apple
Cup of cappuccinno
Coke zero
Dinner: pasta with tomato sauce..made too much so saved half for lunch today. + green apple
cup of skinny latte
green tea

exercise: none

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:33 am

Wednesday

Breakfast: green tea+ granola
Lunch: more granola
Cup of green tea
Cup of skinny latte
Dinner: mixed grill= two sausages, baked beans, scrambled egg, grilled tomato, mushy peas, 1/3 of a baguette
1 pint of cider at pub

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:10 am

Weds

Breakfast: green tea+ granola cut with bran flakes
Lunch: medium portion of fries ( bad i know)
Dinner: went out for indian. Poppadom+ 3 onion bhajis+ half paratha+ half lamb curry. Starter was included in the meal but did some virtual plating and was so full that only had half of my main course.
2 glasses of rose wine.

Exercise: none, been really bad on the exercise front. Going to gym today.

I'm going to cut down on my skinny latte because although low calorie, its still more calorific than my normal coffee. So im lettign myself have one a day.

I normally only have fruit for breakfast and all this granola is making my pants get tighter. Stepping on the scale tomorrow and scared of how much weight ive gained!

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:16 am

Friday
Br: green tea+ granola
Lunch: granola again
Dinner: thai stir fry noodles with chicken and veg
strawberries+ blueberry yogurt

Feel really bloated..dunno if ive gained lots of weight over the last two days or its just cuz im on my period but I've got a dinner party to go to today and i look pregnant in my dress!

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:02 am

Saturday

2 S's: 'buffet' snack after dinner..at friend's birthday..this was at around 9 pm, but didn't eat that much..one piece of fried chicken, one teeny slice of pizza, a sausage roll, and a samosa..no seconds..had less dinner because i knew i was going to be eating this

very small slice of birthday cake

Sunday:
bit of a disaster
4 S's in total
1. snack of kit-kat bar at 4
2. scone with jam
3. ice cream+ banana for dessert
4. munched on some cereal after dinner

feel really disgusting now.

Gym on sat morning. no exercise on sunday.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Fri May 16, 2008 3:33 pm

back for summer..as I've been backsliding a bit.
Yesterday..thursday.
Breakfast: milk tea+ one fried dough stick+ half a biscuit
Glass of apple juice

Lunch: 2/3rd portion of chicken bake+ one small chinese bread bun
Strawberries
Glass of apple juice
Cup of milk tea with condensed milk and sugar

Dinner: fried rice+ chilli con carne+ half a biscuit
Strawberries and mangoes
Glass of diet coke

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sat May 17, 2008 4:20 am

Friday

Breakfast: half a pork bun+ two biscuits
Glass of diet coke
Lunch: fish soup with noodles
one piece of mango and four strawberries
diet coke

Dinner: rice+ chilli con carne+ zucchini salad
seven strawberries
diet coke

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Had two very idiotic S days. I thought I'd gotten this S weekend thing under control but coming home from college has thrown my eating habits into disarray again. I keep telling myself that at least my N days are okay so I'm going to focus on that aspect now.

Sunday night..actually felt like I was going to throw up after dinner, although didn't eat that much..had a snack at 5 pm and felt full before dinner..had a large-ish dinner and lots of fruit afterwards and felt really bad. Never again. Maybe NoS is reducing the capacity of my stomach..

Monday
Breakfast: grape nuts+ milk
Lunch: bowl of watermelon and few slices of mango
Dinner: fried rice+ stir fried veg. Watermelo+ seven strawberries

Exercise: one hour walking

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Wed May 21, 2008 8:55 pm

Tuesday

Breakfast: skinny iced latte with no sugar vanilla syrup
Lunch: fried rice+ chicken curry, two plums
Dinner: one naan bread+ chicken curry

Exercise: two hours walking

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu May 22, 2008 2:56 pm

majorly screwed up.

Breakfast: milk+ samosa
Lunch: noodle salad

Now here comes the 'precipitator' bit...my aunt made these biscuits fresh out the oven and told me to try one..they were teeny..smaller than the size of my fist..and she would have been offended if I'd said no and couldnt even use the excuse "im too full" because they were soo small..i told myself i would virtual plate..
so...cheese biscuit
Dinner: noodle salad+ watermelon

My mom served me a really huge portion for dinner and again couldn't say no because it's my favorite dish and she made if especially for me. Told myself I would skip fruit. Then I had a huge bowl of watermelon and felt really guilty so ended up binging with lots of cereal eaten right out the box, two mini packs of oreos, about three spoonfuls of pudding.....

ugh feel disgusting now. This is the first time in three months Ive binged on an N day. And just because of that one small biscuit.

so BIG RED

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

I've been tremendously backsliding. I now have 4 red days this month which is one of the most I've had recently..as I try to keep my red days to 2 a month maximum.

I was going to start afresh today but my housemate's mom bought a chocolate cake from this amazing bakery so I decided it would be a) rude to refuse and b) I wanted to eat it as it wasn't an everyday thing. I am still giving myself a red for it though.

Starting from tomorrow I'm going to try and get to 21 days again.

Rest of today was okay. Managed to limit myself to that one slice of chocolate cake and that hasn't triggered a binge which I am quite proud of.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:45 am

Okay I'm going to start doing a regular check in because of a recent mod to my NoS. Instead of having N days and S days, I'm going to give myself seven S-events a week and use them as it goes along.

I'm going to post my S events on here to keep track of it, instead of using a conventional habitcal.

My week starts on Monday so since it's Saturday now I have two S-events to use...today's and tomorrow's.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:09 pm

Saturday: No S-events. Was going to have dessert after dinner but was too full and by the time I remembered later it was 11 so went to bed instead.

Sunday: slice of amazing lemon cake given to us by housemate's mom.

Might have dessert after dinner as I still have my S event from yesterday. Or maybe I'll save it for the following week. Who knows? I'm liking my new mod.

EDIT: Dessert after dinner: jelly, fruit and ice cream :D

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:48 pm

Monday

S-event: blueberry muffin + ben and jerry's cookie dough ice cream.

Exercise: 50 minutes treadmill, ran 7 k.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:54 pm

S event: a packet of Kettle chips as a snack between lunch and dinner

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Jelly and chocolate macadamia nut ice cream after dinner. Don't think I'll be buying the ice cream again..too sweet for me.

Had random cravings during the day but decided my seven s-events of the week would be better spent on nicer things

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:03 pm

S-event of the day: slice of chocolate birthday cake for housemate.

Still on track so far. Had one S-event a day, no binging

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:02 pm

S-event yesterday: Chocolate cake and some vanilla ice cream

Today: rather large piece of chocolate after breakfast due to tiredness and moodiness. However no dessert after dinner and no snacking despite being offered so generally quite a good day. Still on track

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Bump. I'm back.

Decided to start NoS again due to recent weight-gain. Made this decision after lunch, so lunch wasn't great.

Lunch: bbq chicken, bacon and caramelized onion baguette. Apple. Small slice of strawberry cake.

Then got bored after lunch and there was some leftover pizza lying around so...
One slice of veg pizza then a cereal bar.

One starbucks flat white.

Dinner will prob be couscous with salad and a yogurt.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm

back again.

Lunch: hummus salad, grapes
Dinner: chicken currry with rice.

S: chocolate creme egg and some leftover easter chocolate. Need to stop eating easter chocolate

Tomorrow is my friend's birthday so plan to limit S to one slice of cake.

N day strategies: if I screw up, limit the screw up to ONE and distract myself like brush my teeth or listen to a song

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:22 am

Breakfast: green tea
Lunch will be peanut butter and jam sandwich with some grapes

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:19 pm

mods I have come up with to make me stick to this better.

Still allowed a green if pre-declared S day (e.g. birthdays) and S limited to one

Allowed a green for 'accidental' S's (e.g. someone offers me food and I accept it before I realize its an N day, or someone wont take no for an answer). again limited to ONE

to avoid fudging during lunch on N days (normally packed sandwich/fruit/cereal bar etc), anything outside what I have infront of me when I start eating is an S. ( can't go buy chips after lunch and try and pass it off as part of my meal)

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:44 pm

Further mod: allowed GREEN on weekends provided I stick to an afternoon snack and an evening snack.

Today

Lunch: sandwich buffet sort of thing, only had 1 plate

Sugar-free ribena

Dinner: one dish chinese takeaway + second serving
Chocolate cake for friend's birthday
One glass of red wine
One cup of coffee

RED

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Breakfast: PB+ J sandwich (day old)

Lunch: leftover chinese takeaway

Snack: cereal bar. one cup espresso chocolate

Dinner: chilli con carne and rice

Dessert: ice cream drizzled with syrup

I ate too much dinner and feel a bit stuffed. next time i'll stop eating when im full regardless of how good it is.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:16 pm

breakfast: toast and peanut butter. Green tea

Lunch: chicken salad with olives, roast peppers, few pistachio nuts, lettuce, tomato etc. Dressing on the side ( i didn't make this!)

about 1 L of water sipped during day
One can sugar free Red Bull

Dinner: pasta in tomato sauce with mushrooms, peppers, and chicken
One can diet coke

I need to quit my diet coke habit.

I think after years and years of twiddling with NoS, I've finally gotten the whole one plate thing. I used to have 'healthy' desserts after lunch and dinner like pot of yogurt, fruit bowl etc thinking it didn't count because it was healthy.

Now I've realized that at the end of the day, a calorie is a calorie. If I'm overeating by 100 calories a day, this can still lead to a 6 pound gain in 6 months ( which is what happened to me). Now if I want fruit and yogurt, I'll have it for breakfast.

I'm not going to rigidly start counting calories but be more aware of them. I think I've greatly abused NoS in the past by eating the unhealthiest foods on N days like fries, chips, huge baguettes for lunch, etc then binged on the weekends just because I could. I need to start being more responsible for what I put in my mouth.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with water, splash of milk, one tbsp PB and drizzle of golden syrup.

Found out that one tablespoon (15ml) of golden syrup has 80 calories!!
So now I'm allowed to have PB or golden syrup not both.

Lunch: Starbucks: Iced americano with sugar free hazelnut, falafel panini (342 calories, good choice if you're ever at the bucks..tasty too)

1 bottle water sipped throughout day

Dinner: Bernard Matthews southern fried chicken fillet (282 calories and you get a really big-sized fillet), half a baked potato, 1 tbsp coleslaw, salad.

Sugar-free squash and water.

Cup of green tea.

Managed to avoid the diet coke today yay.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:08 pm

B: coffee with half and half. 1/2 cup porridge cooked with water, splash of milk and half a banana, cinamon sprinkled on top.. yum

L: half a jacket potato plus 1 tbsp coleslaw and salad
Sugar free squash with water.