OU812 - daily confessions

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ou812

OU812 - daily confessions

Post by ou812 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:18 am

Monday started out well. Followed no-s without any struggle. My meals were pretty reasonable, though not perfect. I am at home with two five year olds and its difficult to find food that we can all agree on. They would be happy with chicken strips and french fries everyday. I have found that it is also difficult to cook healthfully for yourself and young children. Motivation for cooking comes from having another adult to enjoy.

Tuesday was not as good. Meals a little less nutritious, more kid friendly. After my evening workout, the levy just broke. I was probably just thirsty, but the ice cream just looked to good. I then followed that up with various other types of junk. Blech! (again, didn't really enjoy it!)

ou812

Post by ou812 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:24 pm

My Wednesday was a success and today is going very well. I am going to a friends for dinner and I am busy afterwards, so I am pretty sure today is licked as well.

What I need is a couple of weeks like this to start the momentum. :)

ou812

Post by ou812 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Well I thought it was going to be a successful day because I had nearly made it to dinner. I was at a friends and they offered dessert. It felt rude to refuse. This was probably all in my head. When I got home I had a couple ice cream bars because of the all of nothing logic. Instead of accepting my small failure, I made it even bigger with my thought process.

Today is a new day. Start again.

ou812

Post by ou812 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:16 pm

Friday was mostly successful. I was visiting my parents and found it difficult to resist snacks. I caved. I didn't go crazy though, so while it was red, it was definitely oranger than redder.

I enjoyed my S days this weekend and didn't go crazy. It was my sons birthday, so we had some cake and ice cream. I am taking him out for more ice cream tonight. Back to No ses tomorrow. :D

ou812

Post by ou812 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:12 am

No snacking today. No sweets. Shoot. I did have some sweet tea with dinner. I did however avoid desserts and snacks. I still have to make it through the evening. I am pretty stuffed from dinner, so I don't foresee any difficulties there.

ou812

Post by ou812 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:15 am

Today and yesterday I indulged in some ice cream with my kids. I allowed stress to tell me it was time to snack. I will get back on track tomorrow. I need a string of some successful days to get back on track. I am feeling a little extra around my middle. The only thing I have in my favor is that I workout for about an hour a day including some pretty intense jump roping.

ou812

Post by ou812 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:03 pm

I did really well in terms of overall nutrition yesterday. I did have an ice cream sandwich with my kids. My family was away for 2 weeks and I'm just enjoying my time with them. I am not stressing over a few indulgences. Thigs will normalize next week after the holiday.

ou812

Post by ou812 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Been out of the habit for some time. Summer is hard. I look forward to getting back to some good habits soon.