Phosphorus's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

phosphorus

Phosphorus's check in

Post by phosphorus » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:49 pm

This check in will be for a modified nosdiet -- I allow myself a controlled afternoon snack and sometimes a morning one, to curb hypoglycemia. So the habits I am working on are

* no sweets (except on s-days)
* no seconds (except on s-days)
* controlled my snacks (except on s-days)

Plus I have one extra: wake the kids by seven-thirty every n-day morning. I homeschool and it is so tempting to let them sleep in, meaning more time to myself in the AM -- which means I have to catch up later. Yuck.

Alllllright, let's begin...

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:54 pm

DAY 1 is an N DAY

Nosdiet:

Breakfast - met a friend at a restaurant with all our kids. Ordered black coffee, quiche with fruit, and tomato juice. Quiche was beautiful but huge so ate half and boxed the rest to take home. Successfully avoided eating children's pecan caramel rolls.

Lunch - Made a big salad, plus the other half of the quiche. Successfully avoided eating children's leftover pizza and applesauce.

Teatime - Tilsit cheese (eyeballed ounce), blackberries, five almonds.

Dinner - Asparagus, carrot soup with dollop of yogurt, generous portion of cornbread, sliced tomatoes. I confess to having a "second" slice of tomato, but I refuse to count that as a failure (cornbread would have been.)

Wake up kids by seven-thirty: Done! (hardly counts as I had to in order to get to breakfast on time)

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 am

DAY 2 is an N DAY

Kids up by 7:30 - check

Breakfast - one fried egg, one bowl steel cut oatmeal with butter and mixed berries.

Lunch - can of kippers, Thomas's mini bagel, couple slices tomato, maybe a cup of green beans, and a clementine.

Mini meal of 14 almonds. I ate a bite of raw cabbage in the kitchen before I remembered. Decided not to count that.

Dinner - carrot soup, homemade fried rice, sauteed turnip greens. Very tempted to pick at the serving dishes but managed not to.
Last edited by phosphorus on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:54 pm

Just wanted to pop in and mention that I homeschool our kids too! Sometimes I feel as if I'm trapped in a house with food all day! Oh yeah...I am! :lol:

We haven't started school yet...I follow the local public school schedule, but we're definitely gearing up for it. This will be my 13th year...and I have miles to go before we all graduate (my oldest of four is 17 and my youngest is 3).

I just started this (for the second time) a little over three weeks ago & it's an amazingly simple way to look at eating, isn't it?

Hope your day goes well...janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:59 am

Thanks for checking in. Being at home all day can make it tough. I think that is one reason I have included the sensorially-satisfying mini-meals of fruit, nuts, and/or cheese -- I can really look forward to them and it helps me say no to the leftover frozen pizza or sleeve of saltine crackers. "I won't enjoy that as much as I'll enjoy my fruit plate when 3:30 rolls around." Works for me.

I think I'm doing an ok job keeping them small, and I'm still losing weight -- the weight loss has slowed since changing from counting calories to the looser No-S-ish lifestyle, but that's ok with me because I'm nearing goal (just 12 lbs to go out of a total of 40 since three months ago, 48 since a year ago) and it would be appropriate to slow down as I get near the end.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Congrats on your weightloss! I'm sure you must feel wonderful about your accomplishment...as you absolutely should!

I haven't weighed myself since my last dr. appointment in March where I TOLD the nurse I'd cry if I stepped on the scale. I TOLD her that I didn't want to weigh myself & I'd come back out & do so if the dr. told me I had to. I TOLD her I'd be a mess if she continued to badger me into stepping on the scale. She shouldn't have been surprised when big, globby tears rolled uncontrollably down my cheeks after I stepped on that scale. So...since then I've avoided the scale & am just working on just eating well every day.

Have a great day....and congrats again!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:51 pm

DAY 3 is an N DAY

Kids up by 7:30 - check

Breakfast - 1 soft-boiled egg, 1.5 pieces whole wheat bread, about 15 blueberries. Coffee. I ate extra because I was going to try to get thru to lunch without a mini meal.

Lunch - Felt hungry and obsessed about food until I could sit down in front of it -- couldn't even wait for the microwave to finish reheating my plate. I had leftovers from last night -- about a cup of carrot soup, about 2 cups of turnip greens, maybe 3/4 cup of beef fried rice. The volume was too big and I feel really stuffed as I write this, right afterward. Definitely overdid it volume wise. Fortunately I know that a lot of the volume was turnip greens, which isn't exactly highly caloric even if I did saute them in coconut oil.

I notice I'm a lot less stressed about hunger, and I eat less, if I take the edge off with my mini-meals between B and L and between L and D. I still don't know whether the stress will go away if I work to eliminate those mini-meals. Every time I try to go without them, it seems I eat till overstuffed at meals, so fast that I cannot even taste my food. I'm really reluctant to give them up.

But so far, no failure.

UPDATE - dinner - mixed grain pilaf topped with fried egg (yum - the egg yolk runs down into the pilaf), steamed cabbage, and slow-cooked green beans.

Out for ice cream that evening - I had decaf. Success.
Last edited by phosphorus on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

la_loser

Slowly savor your foods--it helps!

Post by la_loser » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Regarding the urge to overeat during your real meals, here's a couple of little tricks I picked up while on another plan.

It makes sense and has helped me curb my urge to overload my one plate. The short version is . . . take at least 30 minutes to eat with a five minute break in the middle, eating very slowly.

Two steps:
1. Chew each bite really really slowly to savor and appreciate the taste of each food.

2. Eat for ten minutes, slowly; then find a reason to stop for four or five minutes. (excuse yourself to go the bathroom, check something in the kitchen, if there are others, refresh their plates or clear plates or whatever. . . if you're eating along, stop and declutter something for five minutes-go through the junk mail and toss some, make a quick phone call--anything to distract you from eating straight through. After five minutes, go back to your plate again and eat for another ten minutes. Your stomach will have had time to begin to register what you've eaten and you won't feel so inclined to stuff yourself. With me, I can easily launch into a big conversation that diverts me for at least five minutes!

By that time, every one else at the table are probably finished as well so the need to stay at the table is lessened as well.

Another idea would be begin your meal with a glass of juice or milk as you are getting ready to eat; it will help to satiate you to keep you from stuffing yourself.

Good luck.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:16 pm

DAY 4 is an N DAY

Kids up by 7:30 - check. First day of school, whee.

Breakfast - poached egg on top of leftover mixed grain pilaf, tomato juice, and a nectarine. Again, more than I usually eat. I'm trying to figure out how to get through from meal to meal.

Had six almonds as I got ready to make lunch, in an effort to control the panicky hunger feeling. The nice thing about nuts is that they are easy to "virtual plate," being so tiny.

Lunch - leftover beef fried rice (1 cup) mixed in the same bowl with 1 cup steamed okra.

Mini-meal of five almonds, one ounce cheese, a quarter of a fresh plum. Also I had a couple of cups of tea. I feel pretty good right now at quarter to five. Dinner's at six.

So far so good. Again, I'm not counting the nuts between meals as a snack.

Dinner - big bowl of salad (balanced on my plate) with oil and vinegar, heaping serving of okra, modest serving of chili with pasta.