Paddylu's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Paddylu

Paddylu's Daily Check In

Post by Paddylu » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:20 pm

I am 60 years old and a "professional dieter." Keeping the weight off seems to be the biggest challenge. I weigh 170lbs. (5'7") and I am headed for 150 lbs. I consider myself very active, as we live on a cattle ranch and have a busy lifestyle. However, I am good at eating while I work! I wear a pedometer every day and aim for 10,000 steps. If I eat 10,000 calories, the steps don't help!
This is day one for me on the No S diet plan. I ate a really big breakfast and was not hungry at all by lunch time. But I had a nice sandwich and ate every bite. This plan makes sense to me and seems like something I can stick with forever.
So here I go - - - getting thinner and thinner and thinner and healthier!
Thanks for all the info on this site. It is informative and fun.

la_loser

Welcome to No S!

Post by la_loser » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:14 am

Welcome to our No S World!

Sounds as if you have the Urban Ranger part already under control! You're right, this site has so much info and positive camaraderie that helps us stay on habit.

When you have some time, when you're not out roundin'em up, check out the podcasts to hear Reinhard's thoughts on many aspects of No S and his other systems. Those and the tons of topics addressed in the discussion board will answer lots of those questions that may occur to you.

Hopefully this can be the last "diet" you ever need! It's really not even a diet--more a lifestyle!

Good luck!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Paddylu

Day two

Post by Paddylu » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:28 am

Thanks LA Loser.

Day two was successful! I ate large portions at each meal, but no snacking, no sweets and no seconds. I can see that I will need to cut back on the amount of meals when I get the snacking under control! I think I can do this!

Paddylu

Day three

Post by Paddylu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:41 am

Made it another day. Three big meals and absolutely no Ssssssss. Tried to convince my sister to join me. I think it is such a good plan and something anyone can live with. I ordered the book, too. I have not weighed yet, maybe tomorrow????

Paddylu

Day Four

Post by Paddylu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:21 am

I weighed today and have gained one pound. But I have not been exercising this week, just eating three large meals a day. Seems to have caught up with me, so started scaling back a bit on the quanities. I read that someone said "Don't be stupid." I think that is me. I am coming up on five days with no snacking and no sweets and no seconds - for me, that is a milestone. Yiippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Paddylu

almost 2 weeks

Post by Paddylu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:59 pm

I am actually enjoying this eating plan! I just received the book in the mail and am sitting down to read it. It does contain some interesting facts and is worth purchasing.
I find this to be a plan I can really live with. I have not been hungry nor felt deprived. And to top it off, it seems healthy.
On the last S day, my husband and I shared a piece of gooy chocolate cake. It was delicious and satisfied my sweet craving.
We have eaten out several times and it was not a problem. I feel proud of my successes and will weigh tomorrow to see how I am doing. I gained a pound the first few days, but lost it during the next few.
This is great!

laguna

Another "professional dieter"

Post by laguna » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi Paddylu,

Thanks for tickerfactory.com reference. It sure adds something to your posts and is a good visual. I have signed up for one too and since I am a slow loser I chose the snail. Probably being a senior citizen does not help :cry: I have just returned from a trip to NM to visit my daughter who lives on a farm in Stanley. I had been down 1.5 # before the trip but have had trouble sticking to the diet in the 5 days since we returned. Tomorrow (Monday) I will be starting over fresh.

Good luck to you in your weight loss adventure!
Laguna

ilovekitties

Paddylu

Post by Paddylu » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi Laguna: Glad you like the little tickers. I think they are cute, too. I chose turtles because we raise them and they are cute. However, like you, I am a very slow loser - always have been.
I had to look on my map to find Stanley, NM. I have been through it before. We live in the SW corner of NM.
I am glad to meet you and I wish you good luck with the great eating plan. I think it is so practical. I do think it gets harder the older we get, don't you? I am headed into my third week and I have managed to stay on it without much trouble. However, I am packing way to much onto my one plate meals. My goal for next week is to cut that back. I have lost one pound, so at least I am not gaining and I am never hungry.
Have fun.

Paddylu

Post by Paddylu » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:33 pm

I have completed THREE weeks on the No S plan and lost 2 lbs. This is a major accomplishment for me because I am not hungry and I do not feel like I have had to give up anything! Low/no carb has been my choice of weight loss plans for the past many years. This No S plan is a treat because I am eating carbs and loving them. I feel it is healthier for me. Giving up snacking has been the biggest item for me and I feel great about it. I refer to the book and re-read a paragraph when I sit down.
Thank you for this site and the Diet.