Habitualrunner's Weekly Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BeingGreen

Habitualrunner's Weekly Check-in

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:17 am

This first week's been a success. HabitCal shows all green and yellow. I'm so grateful for Reinhard's inventions. No S doesn't seem like a "diet" at all. I haven't stepped on the scale either, I'm just focused on developing my good daily habits.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Two weeks of all greens and yellows! Except for one slightly uneasy S day this weekend, I'm really pleased with myself and the No S way of life. I feel well-nourished and have learned some tricks of the trade. I find that healthy beverages like kefir, coconut water, and milky tea make a big difference if I need a little boost and they truly allow me to stick to my new strict habits on N days. Since I'm a runner and a vegetarian, I've also focused on getting plenty of high quality protein at every meal.

I've thought some about my "out of control" feeling Sunday afternoon. Since I was planning on going out to dinner that evening, I tried to get by on a lighter than usual lunch. This was a big mistake. On S days from here on out, I'm going to stick to my solid three meals and add the enjoyable extras. The old diet mentality of eating lighter meals "to budget for extras" doesn't apply on S days. The enjoyable extras are what allow us to feel some "freedom" on S days.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Good for you HR..
Yes, definitely, it's a real waste of energy to try and over control S days..
Just don't go nuts and be a proverbial "idiot" on them..
LOL

Congrats on your successful two weeks!
That's great :)
Peace and Love
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 pm

ps.. Oregon is so beautiful. I lived in Washington for a few years back around 1990 and the Pacific Northwest to me has got to be one of the loveliest places on Earth!
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:22 am

I guess I'm officially a member of the 21 day club. I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I certainly miss having a little something sweet at the end of each day. Did any of you count Columbus Day as an "S" day? :wink:

BTW, thanks gratefuldeb for the kind words from last week! And you are exactly right--the Pacific NW is a wonderful place to live!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:30 am

Congrats on the 21-Day club!

Whenever I crave sweets I put a handful of raisins on my plate...that helps my sweet tooth a lot!

Nope, I didn't take Columbus Day as an "S" day, but just knowing I could was a great thought!

janie
Last edited by howfunisthat on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi janie-

You're signature quotation gave me good cheer this morning! Being fit and healthy are VERY worthwhile, but not always so easy to achieve . . .

BTW, if you're craving something sweet do you just make room for raisins on your plate? I'll try that today!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:37 am

Wow! It's been four weeks. I really love No S.

While I don't make many posts on these bulletin boards, I really feel supported by this whole community. Before No S, in the last year eighteen months or so, I had begun to fear that I was developing a binge eating disorder. Nothing I was trying was helping me stop a scary pattern. I am currently slightly underweight, but the binge episodes were becoming a real problem for the first time in my life (I'm 38 ). I haven't binged since starting No S!

I also feel that No S helps me focus on eating a normal, healthy amount of food so that I have enough energy and good nutrition to get me through my busy days. The habits of No S make me feel good about myself and help me be a good role model for my kids.

I love cultivating my new HABITS!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:40 pm

I haven't binged since starting No S!
Habitualrunner,

that is great! Binging is kind of an awful lifestyle to get into ... having been there for many years myself ... BLEYCH! is about all I have to say to that ... NO S has also releived me from my BINGING ... although I am still indulging in occasional bouts of S Day overeating ... but NO S is so great for HEALING ALL THIS ...

i recently heard that eating disorders are on the rise in young mothers with children, when I heard that I thought that was kind of awful,

No S is such an ANTIDOTE for all that crap!

Glad you are here,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:02 pm

Blueskighs,

How awful for eating disorders to be on the rise in young mothers--I can definitely relate to that statistic. But I wish I could get the word out to them that sanity is available in the form of No S!

I was feeling a little lonely last night (my husband travels a lot for business) and I thought about your closing note. You signed by saying:

"Glad you are here,"

And I smiled to myself, remembering that I am not alone. Thanks so much.

-habitualrunner

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:49 am

Five weeks on No S and still going strong. Tonight was a little rough (the pantry was calling . . .)! I think I didn't eat quite enough during the day and I really wanted to snack after dinner. But knowing that I was going to be reporting on five green and yellow weeks pulled me through. I drank some kefir and some tea and chewed some gum and now I am here at the computer. Once I put a green square on my HabitCal I know I am home free for the day.

I haven't taken a NWS day yet and I noticed that someone mentioned taking Halloween as an 's' day. I think I might do this also. Knowing that I've earned this reward will make these next three days much more manageable.

Thanks for all your discussions on these boards. I read up on all the progress and learning every day and it is a major source of support and inspiration!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:40 pm

habitualrunner wrote:Hi janie-

You're signature quotation gave me good cheer this morning! Being fit and healthy are VERY worthwhile, but not always so easy to achieve . . .

BTW, if you're craving something sweet do you just make room for raisins on your plate? I'll try that today!
Hi again...I should have written about raisins more carefully...yup, I do put them on my plate...when I re-read that post it sounded as if I was running to my jar of raisins in between meals! What rotten advice to give someone! :shock:

Great job on five weeks in a row! It's an amazing plan, isn't it? Have a great day & a great week!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...