Kathi's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

veggirl1964

Kathi's Daily Check-in

Post by veggirl1964 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:54 pm

Yesterday was Day One. Kinda cool starting on an S Day. No worries. I have tried the just one plate of food thing, though. It is weird, as I'm used to grazing for about 2 hours straight, several times a day. Seems doable, however.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Veggirl1964,

Welcome! Give it a chance, you will love it :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

veggirl1964

Re: Kathi's Daily Check-in

Post by veggirl1964 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:46 am

Day Two - another S Day. Okay, tomorrow is it - my first N day. I'm a tad nervous about after work. I generally get home between 3 and 3:30 and have a snack (it would actually be a family meal in many countries). Then I graze until I am stuffed. Then I have dinner. I think I will plan on eating my dinner around 5pm and maybe take a walk when I get home. I can do this!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:09 am

Hi Veggirl :)
Just make sure you have a well balanced meal and a whole plateful.. worst case scenario, you will eat a little bit more at one sitting than you are used to, but you are doing yourself a great favour killing the snacking aka "grazing" habit. There is no need for the stomach to have food in it at all times. Drink some juice or some tea in between meals and you should be fine.. Just don't make your meals too small.

Good luck to you :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! Yesterday was fine. I did have to remind myself several times that it was an N day and that I didn't eat snacks between meals on N days. I think I overdid it at dinner -- my plateful was enormous and I was stuffed after. But, I didn't snack and that was what I was most nervous about. Score 1 for me! :D

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:35 am

I made another N day! I ate too much for dinner again. In fact, I was completely embarassed by how much food was on my plate. I'm too stuffed now. Once I get used to the no-afternoon-snack thing, I need to pare down on my dinner portions. I just feel so darned hungry when 5:00 rolls around. Although, I think it's more an emotional attachment to the food than any type of real hunger.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:12 pm

Veggiegirl, the tendency to eat too much at dinner will "self-correct" over time. For now, it's best to focus on not snacking, just as you're doing.

Sounds as if you're making great progress! :)

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:32 am

I ate a more normal sized dinner tonight and still feel full. Cannot believe I'm not missing eating the snacks! I have designated Friday an S day (Halloween), but am not looking forward to it as much as I was three days ago. Oh, don't get me wrong, I still will probably have a couple of pieces of candy, but it probably won't be the free-for-all I had envisioned.

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:16 am

I did fine on my 4 N days in a row. Today was an S day (can't teach and not have an S day on Halloween!). I didn't even eat that much candy (compared to just a week ago) and I got a stomach ache. I found myself at dinner making sure all my pizza fit on one plate.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:14 am

That's great Veggiegirl!
I think that snacks is the one S that people seem to have the most success with in general. That has seemed to be the case when reading stuff from newbies.
Very glad it's working for you!
Have a nice weekend :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:42 pm

KCCC wrote:Veggiegirl, the tendency to eat too much at dinner will "self-correct" over time.

I sure hope it starts self-corrects soon. I think I am eating slightly less this week. But, I think a family of four would still not starve on the amount of food on my dinner plate!

Breakfast and lunch are not as hard. We have green smoothies every day for breakfast and I can't eat much for lunch, as I have students with behavior issues at that time and often need to jump up part-way through and deal with them.