Jerry's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JerryLee

Jerry's check in

Post by JerryLee » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:01 pm

I am going on 5 weeks, have had no failures and have lost 20lbs. I still have a long way to go, so I modified my "s" days to 1 on the weekend. I am exercising intermittently, but not as often as I would like.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:10 pm

If you've lost 20 lbs in five weeks, you're losing incredibly quickly even if you do have a long way to go.

Do yourself a favor and keep the S-Days. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and you are clearly getting some rather outstanding results as you are doing.

Congratulations!

JerryLee

Post by JerryLee » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:44 pm

made today an s day, had some pumpkin bread for breakfast, and am going to a hockey game tonight so i will probably eat some snacks at the arena. did 50 minutes of yga, starting to get alittle easier, but i am still not very flexable.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:04 pm

JerryLee,

Congratulations on your tremendous success!

In the long run I have found keeping both my weekend S days, but whatever works best for you, I have history of "food deprivation" from too much dieting ... and the two S days some to be "just right" in keeping the turbulent waters of desire more calm over the long haul :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

JerryLee

Post by JerryLee » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:16 pm

Going to make today an N day. Didnt due to bad yesterday, had a few more beers that I should, but since I have a history of binge drinking, I make days I drink S days because I crash through the "glass ceiling" like Willie Wonka did in his elevator through his chocolate factory.

gratefuldeb67

Re: Jerry's check in

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:42 pm

JerryLee wrote:I am going on 5 weeks, have had no failures and have lost 20lbs. I still have a long way to go, so I modified my "s" days to 1 on the weekend. I am exercising intermittently, but not as often as I would like.
Hi Jerry!
I am late in responding to you here, but wanted to say a belated welcome and fantastic news on your great first month!
I believe that Reinhard lost his first twenty in his first month and then took about a year to lose the next twenty.
Keep up the excellent work!
I am inspired by you! :wink:
Bless
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:44 pm

JerryLee wrote:Going to make today an N day. Didnt due to bad yesterday, had a few more beers that I should, but since I have a history of binge drinking, I make days I drink S days because I crash through the "glass ceiling" like Willie Wonka did in his elevator through his chocolate factory.
Haha!!
Well keep at the glass ceiling habit and good luck!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

JerryLee

Post by JerryLee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Made sunday an n day, ate some popcorn for a snack, otherwise i followed the s day plan till that time. did 25 minutes of weight training.

JerryLee

Post by JerryLee » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:05 pm

Another n day, didnt workout because the shoulders and arms were sore from the weight training the day before.

JerryLee

Post by JerryLee » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:30 pm

am still 100% on n days, but the weight loss has leveled off the last few days. having trouble getting motivated during the work week to workout, and it will probably get tougher now that i am starting a part time job.

JerryLee

Post by JerryLee » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:28 pm

got a good workout in. started on the treadmill and twenty minutes in, i felt a pain in my right thigh, so i had to stop and do 40 minutes of lighter cardio, its hell being old.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:36 pm

JerryLee wrote:got a good workout in. started on the treadmill and twenty minutes in, i felt a pain in my right thigh, so i had to stop and do 40 minutes of lighter cardio, its hell being old.
My mom used to say that getting old was not for wimps....I realize more & more these days what she meant!

Sounds like you're doing great....

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:36 am

its hell being old
yup, saturday before last i was doing squats and there went my back, could hardly LAUGH that night much less walk ...
glad it all healed rather quickly

Blueskighs

JerryLee

Post by JerryLee » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:16 pm

got my portions down where i can eat fruit for breakfast and a moderate lunch and dinner. still haven't had a red day, but my exercise schedule is going to suffer because i started an afterwork/weekend part time job.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Jerrylee,

sounds like you are doing great. The amazing thing about the No S diet, is the flexibility and adaptability also seem to "bleed"into other parts of your life, you might be amazed to find yourself coming up with a very satisfying balance with exercise and your new job as you go along,

Blueskighs