NoMoreDiet

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoMoreDiet

NoMoreDiet

Post by NoMoreDiet » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:58 am

So far, so good. I'm glad I'm starting before New Year's. I honestly knew I'd gorge if I didn't have the accountability of this board. Three meals today with a decaf latte inbetween. Hopefully 21 days like this.....

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:27 pm

Welcome! This is a great place to be! Have you read Richard's book yet? It's a wonderful source for info & encouragement...I've read mine over & over.

Again...welcome!
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

NoMoreDiet

Post by NoMoreDiet » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks for your welcome! I just got the book and am reading it now. I know the concepts very well, but felt seeing it in black and white in book form would help "drive the points" home. This board helps so much with accountability!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:52 pm

I absolutely agree with the accountability issue. I'm really committed to this, but knowing I've decided to check in every day absolutely helps me stay on track. Also, I've used the HabitCal feature & there are days I know I would have snacked if I hadn't been using that. I just hate having to put a red mark on my calendar! It might sound silly, but it really has helped me a lot.

Have a great green day!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

NoMoreDiet

Post by NoMoreDiet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:05 pm

You're right. It has helped many times thinking about seeing red verses green that has kept me from putting something in my mouth.
I'd have to say yesterday was yellow. I hadn't planned on it being an S day, but should have. We had plans changed from going out to having company over and had cheesecake for dessert. At the last minute, I decided to make it an S day. I didn't go overboard, though.
Guests stayed over, and we had pancakes for breakfast--so, I guess today is starting out slightly yellow since I had blueberry syrup. I am not feeling like I failed. I know too well if I go there, I'll mess the rest of the day up. I'll do the best I can (guests will be here all day) and keep going....

NoMoreDiet

Post by NoMoreDiet » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Yesterday was success!! I am beginning to get the hang of this again and feeling better about it this time.
Today is starting out good. Plan to walk later.
Last night, I got awake hungry. I got up and drank a glass of apple cider. In the past, I would have gorged on something sweet to help sleep better. So proud of myself.....

NoMoreDiet

Post by NoMoreDiet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:34 am

Yesterday and today have been good S days. Haven't gorged; allowed myself sweets and ate moderately. Also, walked 30 minutes both days. I really feel this time around the habit is taking hold more readily. I've gone into this without rules of my own. It makes a difference.

NoMoreDiet

Post by NoMoreDiet » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:56 am

Wasn't completely successful today. I slipped up tonight when I got a little hungry and grabbed a handful of potatoe chips. I'd love to have gone back for seconds, thirds, etc. but got a glass of o.j. and said "that's enough." I know tomorrow will be better and I will get 21 days of success in! I did 30 minutes of cardio today--that helped me not to go overboard with overeating. Exercise is too hard to undo with sloppy eating habits. Tomorrow will be the start of 21 days of success!!!!

~hf

Post by ~hf » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:03 am

I think starting before the New Year is a great idea. My first day was the day after Christmas. It really helped me to lose the new year's resolution/diet failure spiral I've been in the last few years.

Here's to our success!

Heidi

NoMoreDiet

Post by NoMoreDiet » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks, Heidi. I, too, felt starting before New Year's had its advantages. I felt soooooo bloated after Christmas, I honestly had to do something. I really didn't want to think of it as a resolution or anything--it's just a good time of the year to start with healthy habits--what more appropriate approach than the No S!
Today was a good day--even with going out with my elderly dad at an all you can eat buffett. I did really well. Day one----SUCCESS!!! (Those darn chips last night.....I could be further with 21 day success.)