RedChina's Daily Check In - Finally Starting (with pics)

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RedChina

RedChina's Daily Check In - Finally Starting (with pics)

Post by RedChina » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:35 am

Hey guys. RedChina here. I am male, 6'3", and I used to weigh about 270lbs. I, at some point, decided to "eat less; move more" and I was down to about 175-180. Since then, about 2 years, I've inched up to about 205, slightly overweight by the BMI scale.

My girlfriend and I decided to do the "No S Diet" because it seems to make sense, and it's basically "eat less". Duh. It just seems nice to do the "restrictions" on the weekdays and still enjoy our weekend eating out rituals and not feel like I'm betraying myself and the diet. I found out about it from Scott Hanselman, a man I respect as a software developer, my profession (and one I share with the diet's creator).

I'll try to get my girlfriend to post here too with her progress. Update: Here is her link to her progress.

I have noticed today, my first day (unless I get to count this weekend as the first two days; I won't), that snacking is a powerful compulsion. Normally, at work every day, for a break in the middle of the day, I'd go to what my office mate and I refer to as "ICEE Time". We go to Circle K (gas/petrol station) down the road and get an ICEE and a snack. My weapon of choice was a Banana Flavored Moon Pie, and I will most certainly be eating one of those each weekend, along with an ICEE. I can't explain how much I love ICEEs. Additionally, I would eat Hershey Kisses constantly that are in an office candy jar to which I contribute as well.

Starting today, I have ceased eating Hershey Kisses. I never ate them because I was hungry; they were just there and I like the taste of chocolate, even as fleeting as it is. Additionally, I need the break from work, but I didn't get an ICEE. I know the author is against fake sugar himself, but it appears to be allowed. I got a giant mug of Diet Coke (my favorite drink; I'm not having to make a change there) and drank on it for a few hours. Additionally, I already drink several liters of water a day, so that helps that I already have that habit.

Getting back to the snacking compulsion, when I walked in the door tonight after getting off work, I almost went instinctively to a pack of cookies I had on the counter. I had no idea I had that habit even. I didn't eat any, but then I was looking around at all kinds of snack food. I've set myself up for failure!

I am very hungry right now, and about to go eat my "plate" of soup and a piece of toast, but I will post another update for today, other than this introduction. I will link to my girlfriend's daily check in post if she joins. Also, I we a BMI measuring/tracking/fat percentage fancy pants scale, so I will be performing all measurements in the morning, right after showering on that scale wearing only an undergarment, to make the measurements as consistent and reliable as possible. Being a nerd, I will likely turn this into a graph at some point.

Way before picture of me being really fat (July 2005)

Nowish picture of both gf and me (September 2008)

Starting weight: 205.2 lbs.
Goal weight: 180 lbs.

Wish me luck!

P.S. - I hope that wasn't too long for this forum.

Edit 1: [img] tags are clearly broken here. Changed to links.
Edit 2: Fixed goal weight.
Edit 3: Fixed typographical error and added link to girlfriend.
Edit 4: Fixed images (figured out why they were being blocked with query parameters)
Last edited by RedChina on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:41 am

Day 1: SUCCESS

Date: 2/23/2009 (mm/dd/yyyy for international readers, all future posts will be in this format)
Comments:
I'm noticing strong hunger pangs due to not snacking. I replaced a daily ICEE and Banana Moon Pie with a large Diet Coke filled mug. I skipped the daily load of Hershey Kisses.

I immediately noticed I wanted to to straight for a snack when I came in.

Oatmeal for breakfast as usual, leftover chicken breast from Logan's for lunch with ketchup (my leftover + gf's leftover so a full breast). Campbell's Corn Chowder soup and toast for dinner (that I'm about to have).

Hopeful

Picture

Post by Hopeful » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks baby - if I didn't have the initiative before.....after seeing that picture I do now.....
In the picture found on Redchina's forum I weighed roughly 275 lbs.

Weight 07/27/09 = 268.0 lbs

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Welcome! You guys make a really cute couple!

The snacking thing is amazing, isn't it? It took me WEEKS to stop wanting to eat in the afternoons and after dinner. Now I don't think about it, but at first that urge was so strong, almost a compulsion.

embee

Post by embee » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Hey RedChina, good for you and your girlfriend to start this! I realized today that I've been calling it the No-S Diet, but really, I fully intend to incorporate this for the rest of my life!

Snacking IS hard! I am fighting the snack bug today too. I commend you for avoiding the Hershey's Kisses. I bet you are forgoing hundreds of calories each day in that one decision.
Everyone gets what they want. Some do not always like it.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Good luck to you both and, I too, agree that you make a very cute couple!
I lived in Louisiana for two years and, lets just say that people don't like to have "lean cuisine" down there! :lol:
I gained sixty pounds by eating all that good (and often deep fried) food!
So good luck and watch out for the fried oyster po boys and half gallon sized strawberry daquiries, or at least save them for S days!
I'm sure you will love this and it's very good and liveable.. just be patient and do some exercise as well.

Peace,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

My BMI is now under 25!! My weight is 198. I know I'll plateau and stuff before it keeps going down significantly, but it's exciting!

Date: 2/24/2009

Breakfast: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal as usual
Lunch: Turkey and cheese sandwich with mayonnaise
Dinner: Campbell's Chunky Chicken and Sausage Gumbo soup with two pieces of toast.

Comments:
Still hungry between meals. Still resisted my daily ICEE habit and got a giant mug of Diet Coke instead.

Goal Graph:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 pm

That's fantastic!!!
Congratulations on your great start!!!
Keep it up!!! :D
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Day 3: SUCCESS

Date: 2/25/2009

Breakfast: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal as usual
Lunch: Turkey and cheese sandwich with mayonnaise
Dinner: Campbell's Chunky Sirloin Burger soup with two pieces of toast.

Comments:
Still hungry between meals. Water proved to quiet the hunger down quite a bit.

Goal Graph:

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks for the encouragement baby! You are eating much healthier than me! Keep up the good work! I'll be home soon!
In the picture found on Redchina's forum I weighed roughly 275 lbs.

Weight 07/27/09 = 268.0 lbs

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Day 4: SUCCESS

Date: 2/26/2009

Breakfast: Birthday breakfast. Breakfast casserole with salsa, fresh fruit, and a Klobasnek
Lunch: Turkey and cheese sandwich with mayonnaise and a boiled egg
Dinner: Campbell's Light Vegetable Soup, a Klobasnek I brought home, and a boiled egg

Comments:
I felt really full after breakfast and I wasn't even hungry for lunch, but I ate it anyway, trying to stick with the habits. I felt like I ate too much at lunch, but it all fit on a smallish paper plate, without "heaping" so I don't know. I do love Klobasneks though.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 pm

How funny -- I'd never heard of klobasneks in my life until last week, when Gourmet ran a story about them, and now here's one in real life! They certainly made them sound delicious.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:52 pm

Thalia wrote:How funny -- I'd never heard of klobasneks in my life until last week, when Gourmet ran a story about them, and now here's one in real life! They certainly made them sound delicious.
They're pretty much the best thing ever, especially for breakfast. I'm pretty sure they're quite unhealthy, but since I never buy them for myself, I have them infrequently.

However, before I started the No S Diet, I would have been back in the kitchen all throughout the day eating those. I only had that one for breakfast though. I was proud of myself.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Day 5: SUCCESS

Date: 2/27/2009

Breakfast: Apple and Cinnamon Oatmeal
Lunch: Club sandwich with cole slaw at Newk's
Dinner: Sizzling Chicken and Shrimp (Mashed potatoes side) at TGI Friday's, all one one normal size plate

Comments:
I like to eat out with coworkers on Fridays, and a friend came into town, so I went out again on Friday night. I worry that Friday is going to be like an S day, since I go out to eat for lunch, and usually go out to eat with Hopeful for dinner. We're trying to cut down on costs as well as weight though, so maybe we'll eat in on Friday nights, but I doubt it. Regardless, I'm committed at least to the letter of the law (of No S).

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Day 6: EXEMPT (Saturday)

Date: 2/28/2009

Breakfast: A few Valentine's cookies
Lunch: Homemade Egg McMuffin (English muffin, turkey, cheese, poached egg)
Dinner: Homemade parmesan chicken, spaghetti, and garlic toast at a friend's house, a few Hershey's Kissables cookies that Hopeful made.
Snacks/Sweets: ICEE, and those cookies I mentioned
Last edited by RedChina on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Day 7: EXEMPT (Sunday)

Woot! A week on the plan!

Date: 3/1/2009

Breakfast: Piece of toast with apple butter
Lunch: Mr. Gatti's pizza buffet, our Sunday thing
Dinner: A tiny bit of a fried egg, the best I could salvage from two attempts at making an egg in the basket. After that, I wasn't very hungry either, especially with all the smoke looming in the house.
Snacks/Sweets: ICEE and a Banana Moon Pie, mmmm

Comments:
It's funny to watch the weight go up and then back down on my goal graph. People may say "stop weighing yourself!" but I like data and charts.

Starting Weight: 205.2 lbs
Current Weight: 196.6 lbs
Weight Lost: 8.6 lbs

Goal Graph:

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Day 8: SUCCESS

Date: 3/2/2009

Lunch: Weight Watcher's Smoked Turkey Breast and Mashed Potatoes meal
Dinner: Quizno's Small Honey Bacon Club sandwich. That is the best sandwich I've ever had.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Day 9: SUCCESS

Date: 3/3/2009

Lunch: Turkey and Cheese sandwich
Dinner: Arby's Bacon Cheddar Roast Burger and a few of Hopeful's fries

Comments:
Woot! I'm below 195! I'm at 194.8 now. Only about 15 lbs to go to meet my goal weight.

Goal Graph:

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Day 10: SUCCESS

Date: 3/4/2009

Lunch: Smart Ones Teriyaki Chicken and Vegetables
Dinner: Quizno's Honey Bacon Sub

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Day 11: SUCCESS

Date: 3/5/2009

Lunch: Newk's Cafe Club Sandwich with Cole Slaw
Dinner: Stouffer's Chicken and Pasta Stir Fry and garlic spread on whole wheat toast.

Comments:
I will be out of town this weekend, so I won't be able to weigh until then, but yay for S days! I weighed 194.2 this morning.

Goal Graph:

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:38 pm

I didn't post these until now because I was gone for the weekend, and didn't have time yesterday. I doubt it matters though, because I'm pretty sure nobody reads mine.

Day 12: SUCCESS
Date: 3/6/2009

Lunch: Raising Cane's Kids Meal (2 chicken fingers, fries, piece of toast, diet coke)
Dinner: Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy Chicken and Shrimp with a few chips and queso, rice, beans

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Saturday was spent in Dallas with friends (approximately 3 hours away from home). I drove back at 11:30PM and got home about 3:30AM Sunday (DST changing).

Day 13: EXEMPT (Saturday)
Date: 3/7/2009

Breakfast: Moon Pie and ICEE
Lunch: Twin Peaks Club Sandwich and Fries
Dinner: My friend cooked chicken breast marinaded which was excellent, dirty rice, and corn. Dr. Pepper.
Last edited by RedChina on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:42 pm

It took me forever to wake up Sunday because of the driving back late and DST messing up my internal clock. I woke up around 3:30PM.

Day 14: EXEMPT (Sunday)
Date: 3/8/2009

Breakfast: None
Lunch: Mr. Gatti's Pizza Buffet, Diet Coke, ICEE, Pudding
Dinner: Rice with butter and Cavender's

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:46 pm

Day 15: SUCCESS
Date: 3/9/2009

Lunch: Lean Cuisine Chicken Fettucini Meal
Dinner: Stouffer's Parmesean Chicken, Slice of Garlic Bread, Boiled Egg

Comments:
I started going to the gym today. I did cardio for about 45 minutes. I felt tired but good afterward. I used to "reward myself" with an ICEE after a workout, but I suppose, no more. :(

I'm down to 193.6 from 205.2.

Goal Graph:

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:31 pm

Here's another graphic, just for fun:

magicman

Post by magicman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:24 pm

RedChina wrote:I'm pretty sure nobody reads mine.
Just because no one is posting in your thread doesn't mean no one is reading it.

I like your charts.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:03 pm

magicman wrote:Just because no one is posting in your thread doesn't mean no one is reading it.

I like your charts.
That's good to know. It's discouraging when I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

Thanks... and I've been following your progress in particular as well.

blue

Post by blue » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 pm

Wow your loss is amazing. You two make an adorable couple. Wish my husband would join me in NO-S-ing.
I had a major pie binge once at that pie/ backery across from Centinary college in Shreveport. Its funny I remember the places I ate more then anything else about my trip :shock:

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:08 pm

emilypop wrote:Wow your loss is amazing. You two make an adorable couple. Wish my husband would join me in NO-S-ing.
I had a major pie binge once at that pie/ backery across from Centinary college in Shreveport. Its funny I remember the places I ate more then anything else about my trip :shock:
Heh, do you mean "pie" as in the way Northerners refer to pizza? If so, that must be PieWorks. I love that place too.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Day 16: SUCCESS
Date: 3/10/2009

Lunch: Leftover Stouffer's Chicken Parmigiana, boiled egg
Dinner: Corn Chowder soup, toast, boiled egg

Comments:
Went to the gym again.

blue

Post by blue » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:28 pm

actually It was a normal food place.But I had alot of Pie(strawberry or apple)It was a rather old faishened looking place. This would have been in 1998 so who knows if tits there. I remember crawfish to from some stand on the road.Anyway centinary was a pretty school .

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:04 pm

emilypop wrote:actually It was a normal food place.But I had alot of Pie(strawberry or apple)It was a rather old faishened looking place. This would have been in 1998 so who knows if tits there. I remember crawfish to from some stand on the road.Anyway centinary was a pretty school .
Strawn's Eat Shop! That's where you're talking about, I think. There's a new one now too. Here's a link.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Day 17: SUCCESS
Date: 3/11/2009

Lunch: Leftover Stouffer's Chicken Parmigiana, boiled egg
Dinner: BK Whopper and Value Fries

Comments:
Plateaued at 193.6 exactly for the last 3 days.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to pop in here.

Belated welcome to you (and Hopeful!) and congratulations on your success so far!

I love the graph. Don't worry too much about the plateau. They're bound to happen. And better you hit your first 10 pounds down rather than right away as many people do.

Reinhard

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:24 pm

reinhard wrote:Sorry it's taken me so long to pop in here.

Belated welcome to you (and Hopeful!) and congratulations on your success so far!

I love the graph. Don't worry too much about the plateau. They're bound to happen. And better you hit your first 10 pounds down rather than right away as many people do.

Reinhard
Thanks Reinhard. I appreciate the support system you've set up and the program you created, even though it seems like common sense. Some people (me) just need common sense spelled out for them. Hopeful and I have referred several other people to the site as well.

I lost a LOT of weight before to even get to my starting weight this time (I just needed to get back down to my original goal weight), so I know about the plateaus for sure. It's helping me a lot knowing that it doesn't last forever. :)

la_loser

No worries. . .

Post by la_loser » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Make sure you don't stress about this "plateau." You can't possibly expect to continue to lose this quickly. Thirteen pounds in 19 days? Expectations for loss on No S aren't even close to three pounds a week. So it's great that you've had a wonderful start; I just want to caution you not to get discouraged if it levels off. You're going to do fine; just don't get in a hurry!

Hang in there!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

la_loser

oops

Post by la_loser » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Oops-somehow I didn't see Reinhard's reply to you before I posted mine!

blue

Post by blue » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:18 pm

Thats it!!!!!!! Too bad I cant go there for an s day. Ah well. your doing great!!!

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:37 pm

This is what I just gave up at work (birthday celebration). It was really hard and now I really wish I had gotten to eat some chocolate cake and cookie dough ice cream. This sucks.

Click it to make it bigger.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Day 18: SUCCESS
Date: 3/12/2009

Lunch: Lean Cuisine Chicken Club Panini
Dinner: Ricearoni with chunks of chicken, broccoli and cheese

Comments:
Plateaued at 193.6 exactly for the last 4 days. Sucksssssssssssssss.

Visualization of Plateau:

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:27 pm

totally normal, though. You lost a lot of weight pretty fast, your body needs a little adjustment period before it settles down and loses some more. And four days at the same weight isn't really very long!

la_loser

Post by la_loser » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Really--really--as per several people who have responded to you, including me and Reinhard. . . losing enough that you daily see a difference on the scales will most likely not continue as quickly and it's difficult to keep it off that way. No S is NOT about fast weight loss. As many have said here in the past, "this is not a race; it is a marathon. . . "

If you want fast weight loss, sign up for a fast program that will have you restricting yourself, counting something all the time and depriving yourself. You'll lose fast, find it's not sustainable because it's not natural then you'll be back to No S thinking, "oh, yeah, they told me so!"

Plenty of people on No S have done exactly that--then they come back to a realistic normal way of eating. . . and slowly their habits take them where they want to be.

It's all about enjoying the journey and not punishing yourself all along the way. Enjoy your S Days.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Chiming in on the "Don't worry about plateaus" bandwagon...

I lost weight 3x on Weight Watchers (because I couldn't MAINTAIN that level of counting, so my weight went back up). Every time, I stuck grimly to it and made my goal. And every time, my weight went down in erratic "bumps". I learned to recognize the "stall-out" periods. Often, my body changed size during them (perhaps only noticeable if I was measuring). I'd have WEEKS where I absolutely stuck to the plan, only to see no weight loss or a loss of two-tenths of a pound...but if I stuck to it, there would be a sudden drop - perhaps even on a week where I had not been so compliant! Then, over time, the pattern would repeat.

Everyone is a little different, but these kinds of plateaus are VERY common! The trick is that you can't let them derail you, just because the reward for your behavior is a bit delayed. If you go off-track, you'll never get the drop that's on its way.

Best wishes, and hang in there!

Cheers,

KCCC

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Day 19: EXEMPT (Dinner with parents)
Date: 3/13/2009

Lunch: Moe's Joey Bag of Donuts Junior (10") burrito, chips and salsa
Dinner: Some kind of ricearoni type stuff, 2 tacos, strawberry shortcake and cool whip

Comments:
It's an S-day because I only eat with them once every couple of months or so. I planned it as an "S-Day" but I treated it as an N-day, with the exception of the strawberry shortcake with cool whip I knew she'd serve. It was planned, therefore S-day.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:53 pm

Day 20: EXEMPT (Saturday)
Date: 3/14/2009

Breakfast: Turkey/cheese sandwich and a little bit of leftover rice/chicken
Lunch: ICEE and moon pie
Dinner: Chicken quesadilla appetizer and TGI Friday's Chicken and Shrimp

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Day 21: EXEMPT (Sunday)
Date: 3/15/2009

Lunch: Mr. Gatti's pizza buffet
Dinner: Chili's eggrolls and some fries

Comments:
I'm up to 195 (as I write this on Monday morning). Lame. Makes me not want to take S days. I could decide not to. I have the willpower.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:12 pm

You're doing awesome, dude. I'm inspired. I know I'm going to have issues with giving up the treats people bring in at work.

Don't restrict yourself too much. This is probably why people would tell you not to weigh yourself every day. The point of the S Days (at least as far as I'm concerned) is to keep from losing your mind. If you lose your mind, it doesn't matter how much weight you lose.

Do what you will, of course. I'm no expert. Just sayin'.

Keep it up.

(PS: If you Google "klobasneks" this page is the third or fourth hit. Thought that was cool.)
8-bit is still awesome.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:25 pm

VintageGeek wrote:I know I'm going to have issues with giving up the treats people bring in at work.
Grrr. I know what you mean. That's how it is around here. And I'm sure as Easter quickly approaches, it will be much, much worse. It was really hard for me to give up my constant Hershey Kiss snacking.
VintageGeek wrote:Don't restrict yourself too much. ... The point of the S Days (at least as far as I'm concerned) is to keep from losing your mind. If you lose your mind, it doesn't matter how much weight you lose.
That's true, but I think I can still enjoy treats on S-days and have more sensible meals that I know are bad for me. I don't think the "do whatever you want" thing works for me. I have the requisite willpower to just decide to do something, including eating far less on S-days, but still being able to enjoy my ICEE and moon pie.
VintageGeek wrote:(PS: If you Google "klobasneks" this page is the third or fourth hit. Thought that was cool.)
That's awesome! Is that how you found this site? If not, how'd you find that out? Just googling to see what it was?

Also yes, 8-bit is still awesome. I even have Super Mario Bros in an emulator on my iPhone, which is jailbroken and decked out with a Mario sound and picture scheme.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:36 pm

No, I just had no idea what a klobasnek was and I tried Googling it.

And yeah, I see what you're saying about your N day meals. It's probably hard to switch back and forth so much. I used to do something similar to this - during the week I'd count my calories like crazy, then on the weekends I'd basically eat whatever the heck I wanted...donuts, pizza (large, large quantities of pizza), if I wanted three sandwiches for lunch, then that's what I'd have, damn it!

But yeah, I think that's a secret of the habit changing aspect of No S; I know I'm already thinking more carefully about what I'm going to eat. I think it'll all fall into place eventually. There's a logical line of thinking that's bound to emerge from starting this new habit, and I think that making better food choices is part of it.

And your phone sounds awesome. I think that Mario is just about the best design scheme for...well, for anything really.
8-bit is still awesome.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Day 22: SUCCESS
Date: 3/16/2009

Lunch: Ranchero Honey Ham Sandwich at Counter Culture (pita bread). It was a lunch with the speaker for our .Net User Group who was speaking that night.
Dinner: 3 Small pieces of ham and pineapple pizza at the .Net User Group meeting

Comments:
Back down to 193.4, so at least I lost my S-day weight.

And you can see it here:

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:05 pm

That green "SUCCESS" needs all kinds of bells and whistles around it. Good job.
8-bit is still awesome.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:35 pm

VintageGeek wrote:That green "SUCCESS" needs all kinds of bells and whistles around it. Good job.
Thanks! I even have a second page now! I hope people see the update I just posted for Monday on the previous page. I made it to the big time now! ;)

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:48 pm

We have a pot luck lunch today for St. Patrick's day! It will be VERY hard to single plate this. I have red hair... can today be an S day for me?

la_loser

An NWS day!

Post by la_loser » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Red China,

Remember that YOU get to choose what YOU want to use as NWS days--Non-Weekend S days or a SPECIAL day. Although it's important not to declare NWS willy nilly, you do get to choose! If you find you're declaring multiple NWS days a month, you might have to rethink it, but you've been doing this less than a month so I don't think you've had a bunch of those.

What IS important is that you don't take an S day today and decide to make your next regular S day an N day. This is not "let's make a deal!"

So unless you anticipate some major special days coming up really soon (like yours or Hopeful's birthdays, etc.)

So RED, maybe you need to go for it today! You've had such quick success so far-a look at your chart shows that you're way ahead of your goal! ENJOY!

RedChina

Re: An NWS day!

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:25 pm

LA_Loser wrote:RedChina,
Remember that YOU get to choose what YOU want to use as NWS days--Non-Weekend S days or a SPECIAL day. Although it's important not to declare NWS willy nilly, you do get to choose!

You've had such quick success so far-a look at your chart shows that you're way ahead of your goal! ENJOY!
Yeah, I've decided today is an S day for me. We don't have pot luck things at work very often. We definitely have food often, and I don't have a problem turning that stuff down, because it's mostly junk. But pot lucks for holidays like St. Patty's, Halloween, etc aren't that often, and I will consider those S days, mostly because of all the homemade food.

As to the goal graph, I'm worried, because it's not decreasing at the rate it once was (not that I expected that), so I'm anticipating the day when I see the teal line cross OVER the purplish line. Boo.

Like Reinhard et al say, ideal habits lead to ideal weight, so my weight goal is completely arbitrary. I don't NEED to weigh that amount by that time, but it seemed relatively healthy at about 2 pounds a month. Time shall tell.

Either way, if I fail to meet that goal, I don't consider it a failure for me or for No S, since it's completely arbitrary.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Hey, there RedChina, we must have the same nerd gene because I have that body fat measuring scale, AND I track my weight daily. What I can't figure out it HOW to get my graph to display on my updates. I have 60 days of tracking, and mine is a lot more up and down than yours - - I'd love to share it (if only to show that daily weight variations don't mean much and it is the trend that counts), but I can't figure out how.

I'm using Excel for the tracking. If you have any tips on how to post it, I'd be so grateful. I tried clicking on the image tags and cutting and pasting the chart - - but no luck at all.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:39 pm

apomerantz wrote:I'm using Excel for the tracking. If you have any tips on how to post it, I'd be so grateful. I tried clicking on the image tags and cutting and pasting the chart - - but no luck at all.
Take a screenshot of the window (excel) with alt+print screen (top right hand corner of your keyboard. might say PrtScn or something).

Then open Microsoft Paint or another image editor. Paste the image. Then crop the image. In paint, this is acomplished, by highlighting the part you want and then copying it, creating a NEW image, and pasting there.

Once you have the desired image, save it out as JPG and upload it at ImageShack.us. Then they will give you the image that you can put between the [img] tags.

I don't deal with any of that though, since I track through FitDay. I can't recommend them enough, and they do the graphs for me. I copy the url, paste it into ImageShack, and it crossloads it and I paste it here. 2 simple steps for me, but the above should work for you.

Let me know how it goes!

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks so much for that set of directions! Awesome - - I will try them out and let you know how it goes. They seem easy to follow. . .

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:08 pm

Yeah! It worked :). Somehow it doesn't look anything like yours though. Mine is a tiny thumbnail that you click on to see it . . .but it'll do!! Thank you so much for guiding me through it. I posted it up on my daily check in. Now I just need to play with Excel to make the chart look better and be a little more readable . . .thanks again so much with your help and good luck with your No Sing!!

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:14 pm

apomerantz wrote:Somehow it doesn't look anything like yours though. Mine is a tiny thumbnail that you click on to see it . . .but it'll do!!
Don't use the code they give you. Keep clicking on the tiny image until it gets big and it's the only thing in your browser, and then copy the url from the address bar and put that between the [img] tags. That should work.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks so much for sticking with me on this - - but unfortunately, that didn't seem to work. I was able to make the image so it was the only thing in the browser window, but when I copy the URL, it just appears here as a URL and not as an image.

At any rate, you've spent enough time helping me out! I so appreciate it. The little graphic is good enough - - I figure if anyone wants to look at it, they surely can. Yours looks awesome though!

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Day 23: EXEMPT (St. Patrick's Day)
Date: 3/17/2009

Lunch: St. Patrick's Day pot luck lunch. Lots of food
Dinner: Turkey and cheese sandwich

Comments:
I've decided that all the pot luck lunches we have at work will be S-days for me. There's too much home cooked food and desserts for me to turn that down; it would make me go nuts. (I don't know how to cook so I don't get home cooked food.)

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Good deal, Red. It's a good idea to have rules like that I think (i.e. "Every pot luck day will be an S day"). Instead of taking every pot luck day as a possible exception, you're just blanketing them with one rule. This is good, because it eliminates confusion, guilt, and frustration later.

So huzzah! Another successful day. Good deal.
8-bit is still awesome.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:28 pm

Oh yeah, I broke that 4 day 193.6 plateau too! I'm down to 192 lbs.

Obligatory graph:

Starting BMI:

Current BMI:

Goal BMI:

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:56 am

Huzzah, sir, huzzah!
8-bit is still awesome.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:32 pm

Day 24: SUCCESS
Date: 3/18/2009

Lunch: Turkey and cheese sandwich
Dinner: BK Whopper and value fries

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Day 25: SUCCESS
Date: 3/19/2009

Dinner: Fried rice, a little bit of a lettuce only salad with shrimp sauce, some kind of asian peas

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:29 pm

Day 26: SUCCESS
Date: 3/20/2009

Lunch: Moe's Burrito and chips
Dinner: Ernesto's Mexican Restaurant Enchiladas and chips

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Day 27: EXEMPT
Date: 3/21/2009

Dinner: Fillet Mignon and a burger

Snack: ICEE and moon pie
Last edited by RedChina on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Day 28: EXEMPT
Date: 3/22/2009

Breakfast: Homemade Egg McMuffin
Lunch: None
Dinner: Moe's burrito and chips and queso

Snack: 2 ICEEs

Stupid graph showing me getting almost fat enough to overcome the goal line:

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Bad graph. It's okay. I wager by Wednesday you're feeling much happier about the graph.

Think of it this way: you have a steady average decline, that's filled with lots of little ups and downs that make this adventure way more exciting. Don't know if you're a Tolkien fan, but how exciting would Frodo's journey have been if he'd just strolled all the way from the Shire to Mordor without any bumps in the road.

Not exciting at all, that's how exciting.

Okay, enough with the extreme dorkiness. Everything looks totally fine to me. You're still doing great.
8-bit is still awesome.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Day 35: EXEMPT
Date: 3/29/2009

Lunch: The Butcher Shop burger and chili
Dinner: Moon pie

Comments:
I haven't been keeping this updated, because I never had any red days, and I am also lazy. So just to let you know, I'm still doing it, and I'm proud of today's new low weight, 190.8 lbs yay! That nice round number looks nice. I'm on my way to my goal.

Graph:

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:38 pm

There you are. I'd been wondering. I'm glad to hear that your absence was filled with green days. And I'm really glad to see that the chart is looking more like you want it to look. Your goal is 180, correct? You're very well on your way, sir.
8-bit is still awesome.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:05 pm

New low: 188.4

Have another graph everyone!