midtownfg's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:51 pm

June 15 - T
No S
Exercise - no exercise today. I am trying to be mindful of stretching and walking as much as possible but won't count that as exercise.
Alcohol

June 16 - W
No S - I had a planned S-event. I had hoped I would actually be able to do one plate and resist cupcakes but they actually didn't have anything to eat except cupcakes and I had to be there for 2+ hours and did not have dinner beforehand since I assumed there would be real food. So I literally had Sprinkles cupcakes and cosmopolitans for dinner. I felt nauseous.
Exercise
Alcohol

June 17 - T
No S
Exercise - no exercise today
Alcohol - just a glass of wine

June 18 & 19 - S days

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:59 pm

June 18 - F
No S
Exercise
Alcohol

June 19 - S
No S
Exercise
Alcohol

June 20 - S
No S - yeah, not sure how to explain that. Just ate may too much Mexican food and felt sick the rest of the night for it.
Exercise
Alcohol

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:49 pm

It has been more than a year since I posted here. I still keep no-S in mind but I can't say that I have been following it at all. And now it is time to get back to these habits. Here is what I wrote 18months ago.

OK, so today is my one year anniversary with No S. Yay. Just reread my initial check-ins. So idealistic. Needless to say, I am obviously not the same dieter I was then. But let's focus on some positives first.

My starting weight - March 17, 2009 - was 196.8.
Today's weight - March 17, 2010 - is 185.6.

Where am I today? 201.4. Five pounds more than my original starting weight. UGH. I hope that no-S alone can take be back to where I was but I am afraid that exercising (or the lack there of) is my main failure. But we will start with the eating habits which have really gotten out of control even though I do think about the rules daily. I know I can do this.

I did great yesterday but I may rethink the Friday/Saturday = S day system. I really need to focus on treats being treats and meals being what I need to live.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Wow! Seeing posts like yours makes me realize that my mantra (see below) is something to stick with. I spent many years fluctuating in my weight and that top number gradually increased. My goal each month is maintenance, and this forum keeps me on track. Keeping my expectations low and sustainable has lead to good gradual losses. I hope you experience similar success on this go round!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Thank you, Jean. I am ready to try. It was so easy last time. Well, not really easy but not painful.

I did well yesterday even though our evening was completely disrupted by last minute plan changes and unexpected visitors but I had a one plate meal and no alcohol. Lunch and breakfast were uneventful, as usual.

Just to note my new workday lunch for the last 4 months or so - Lentils with lots of veggies. I make a big pot on sundays and put it in 5 containers for the week. I am happy to get more veggies in my diet and really enjoy eating them but I am disappointed that they havent had more of an impact on my overall weight. I usually have a container with a cup and a half to 2 cups of my lentil/veg mix plus a piece of fruit. Maybe I need to eat more for lunch.

Breakfast most workdays is greek yogurt with some kind of fruit, honey or agave nectar, raw oats and sliced almonds.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:57 pm

I think I reached a milestone with my S-days this weekend. I had no urge to eat as much as I wanted or could just because it was an S-day. I know, from years of experience, that there will always be more ice cream and cookies and candy and there is no need for me to eat everything presented to me on an S-day or to make up for what I missed out on on N-days. So, one successful week under my belt. And one of the mildest S-weekends since I started no-S.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Totally failed last night. I had an event to attend at a mexican restaurant. I had every intention of being good and did not want to take it as an S-day or event. I ordered beer instead of a margarita and tried to control my chip intake but once everyone was chatting and eating, well... I ordered a bigger meal than I planned and then when someone ordered dessert I gladly shared hers. So, that will be a red dot on my habitcal. Drat. I have another event at a Mexican restaurant on Sunday. That is not my usual S day. I will make Friday an N-day since my husband is going out and that will keep me under control. Hopefully. But I don't like the idea of moving my N-days.