MysteryLover's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MysteryLover

MysteryLover's Daily Check-In

Post by MysteryLover » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm thinking that it's WAY overdue for me to start being more accountable (to myself) and start a daily check-in. I started No S on March 1st, but only stuck to it about 70% of the time. I lost two pounds, which is pretty good considering how terrible I did. I'm going to consider March a learning experience and really buckle down and get serious now. I'm one of those people who need a little incentive, so I'm going to promise myself an i-Pod Touch if I can go three months / or lose 15 pounds - whichever comes first. So here goes...
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

marleah

Post by marleah » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:17 pm

I did the whole "false start" thing too. The first time, I didn't post at all, just read some of the other posts. But the second time, I started posting and it made me feel much more accountable! I like posting, because even if no one reads it, people COULD read it, so I try to keep to the rules more.

Good luck!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:31 am

At least I know that you are checking up on me Marleah. I'd better do a good job now LOL.

Wednesday, April 1st: SUCCESS

No sweets, no snacks, no seconds. I did have wine with dinner, but less than two glasses. I can't seem to find the glass ceiling rule in my book, but if I remember correctly, this is okay. Plus, it's not something that I do every night. Maybe only once or twice per month.

For exercise I only did a 1-mile Walk Away the Pounds DVD, but at least I got 14 minutes of exercise in. I ordered a pedometer today (my battery went on my old one). I think I'll see some real improvement when I start aiming for those 10,000 daily steps.

Oh, and I mentioned to my husband about getting me an i-Pod Touch if I have three successful months. Guess what? He said "Wouldn't you rather have a Blackberry?" Hello?! That's one terrific piece of incentive!

la_loser

Post by la_loser » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:04 am

Ooh, ooh, iPod Touch is awesome! I use mine ALL the time! I even have my No S boards as one of my touch features. I had a Blackberry (for about a week!) last year till I took it back; my "over the hill" eyes, even with bi-focal contacts, just couldn't handle the little fonts on the screen OR the keypad. The 20-something guy whose worked with me for years at the local cell company and his co-workers said, "oh, you can make the fonts bigger" and I said- "I DID make the fonts bigger!" Young whippersnappers!

I'd rather have the iPhone but it isn't available from our carrier so that will have to wait. The only hitch with the Touch is that the internet only works if you have a WiFi connection rather than the Blackberry's connection is through your phone carrier. But with WiFi spreading, I find it's not much of a problem. And the applications (many free or really cheap) are tremendous. . . something for everyone. It probably depends on what your primary purpose will be for having such a device.

But alas, back to the real topic. . . about Glass Ceiling. I don't have my book at my fingertips (it's in the other room and I'm too comfy to get up and go get it! hmmm. . . ) but here is the Glass Ceiling link under Reinhard's Everyday Systems home page. http://everydaysystems.com/glassceiling/

Good luck.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks for the link LA Loser. And I think I will go with the i-Pod Touch. We have Wi-fi at home and work. Also, since I'm nearing 40, I should probably start worrying about the font size too.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:19 am

Thursday, April 2nd: SUCCESS
Exercise: 2 mile outdoor walk.

It's the weirdest thing- I ordered the pedometer yesterday from the No S Diet store, and it was in my mailbox today. I even chose the free shipping option which was supposed to take 1 to 6 days. Anyway, I put it on around 4:30 pm and I have 6,722 steps (it's 8:15 now).

I might make myself a cup of tea before bed tonight. Pretty good No S day. No hunger except right before my mealtimes.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:24 am

Friday, April 3rd: Taking this as an S DAY
Steps: 5,616 as of 9:20 pm. Gonna do some crunches before bed.

Wasn't sure if I was really going to take an S day so soon, but I think it will be the only non-weekend S day for the whole month of April. My daughter was in a play at her school tonight, and everyone went out afterwards for icecream. I only ate half of my small dish of cookies & cream. Other than that, I only had my 3 squares and no snacks.

Weekly weigh-in: 148.0 lbs
Goal: 132 lbs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:33 am

Hi Gina :)
Just chiming in here about Glass Ceiling.
The rule is two non sugary alcoholic drinks per N day are permitted.
Specifically two glasses.
Try to keep them normal size, and avoid triple chocolate mudslides, and you should be fine.
Beer and Wine are okay.
Have a nice weekend.
8) Debs x
ps.. hope you get your I pod touch or Blackberry :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:35 am

Oops sorry for being redundant about glass ceiling..
I think you already got the answer from LA, but I was reading too quickly here :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

marleah

Post by marleah » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:46 am

Sounds like you had a good time at your daughter's play! That would definitely be worth taking an S-Event for a bit of ice cream. You're on your way!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:17 am

Dang Debs - now you have me thinking about those mudslides! Just kidding.

Saturday, April 4th: S DAY
Steps: 10,519 - yah! It helped that my daughter and I went for a little hike at the local state park. We were actually spying on my son and my husband. They are camping with the Boy Scouts.

Went a little crazy today. Pizza for dinner. A handful of M&M's. Some sorbet. All the sweet stuff actually made me feel a little sick. Hard to believe with me being such a former sweet addict!

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:49 pm

Sunday, April 5th: S DAY
Didn't get any 'real' exercise in. Cleaned the house & relaxed.

A funny & miraculous thing happened while I was grocery shopping yesterday: I met a friend in the store that I haven't really gotten together with in a long time. Whenever we do talk, we mention getting together to walk, but never make any firm plans. Well, right there in the juice isle, we said "Let's just do it!". So we decided to meet 3 times per week to take a half hour walk. We started today (Monday) at 6 am. I also mentioned how great No S is, and I'm going to send her Brother John's link today. Like me, she likes her food and wine and hates having to give up favorite foods to lose the weight.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:34 am

Monday, April 6th: SUCCESS
Exercise: 30-minute power walk

For some reason today was really hard. I craved sweets very badly. Maybe it was coming off of a weekend, or stress - but I did make it through. I even resisited having any of my grandmother's 88th birthday cake.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:17 am

Tuesday, April 7th: SUCCESS
No formal exercise, but I was active all day. Forgot to wear my pedometer.

I was a bit hungry this afternoon, and again now. I'm thinking that it might be because I donated blood earlier. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'm always more hungry/thirsty after donating. I'm going to go ahead and make a cup of decaf tea with a drop of cream.

Tomorrow is another get up early and walk day. Not looking forward to how cold it's supposed to be. Why can't spring just hurry up and get here?

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Well, I let life get in the way again! Starting over for the 3rd time. On the other hand, my 50% sucess rate over the past couple of weeks has still lost me 2 more pounds. Just think what I could have lost...

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Mon May 18, 2009 12:06 am

Maybe if I really did stick with my 'daily' check-in this wouldn't have happened- COMPLETE IDIOT this weekend!! I ate so much that I want to barf. Well, tomorrow's a new day/week. Just figured that I ought to admit my mistake publicly, so maybe I won't repeat it.