~emilyr's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:48 pm

But you're doing so so great! Tell everyone how much you have lost girl!!!! Don't be shy! I encourages others.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Renee ~ I kinda like posting at the end of the month because it's a bigger number for the month and my weight seems to fluctuate so much during a month. I feel like it is more of a true number, and I'm trying to remember I need to do this each and every day for the rest of my life! But just for you ~ as of today, I'm down 35.5 pounds ~ whoop,whoop, whoop ~ GO ME! :D :D :D :D

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Thirty-five and a half! Woohoo!!!

you go girl!
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:12 am

Merry Christmas!

I'm so glad today is an S day ~ totally enjoyed a sugar cookie with and inch of buttercream frosting :-)

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:48 am

I am counting down the days until January 4th ~ all this cooking, treats and parties. I like a routine better!! I am staying on track for the most part, but wow it is very, very hard! Thank God for tea! I know I won't gain back everything I've lost, but its SO hard to keep on fighting!!! BUT.... I will and I'll let you know my final weight loss for the month on January 1, that keeps me motivated too ~ that's my official weigh in day ~ I can do this! Sorry, I just needed to rant and keep myself motivated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:13 am

January 3, 2010! My journey thus far has been very successful even with a bunch of false starts! Total weight loss to date ~ 40 pounds! I made it through December with an 8 pound loss ~ totally impressed myself :D :D

I had one day that was close to the old 'binge" modes I would get in, but I have learned a lot....... About half way through I started the new self talk and convinced myself to stop going crazy and enjoy each bite I took! Eventually I stopped when I felt full enough on junk and I didn't feel a desperate need to starve myself the next day. I was able to quit right then and didn't give myself permission to continue eating since the day was ruined...... I also visited the website ~ very supportive tool! I love No S, I have learned a lot. I really enjoy treats on an S day with no guilt ~ I love that! I also tell myself this is something I will do every day, for the rest of my life. I don't know why that helps me, but it does!

I am looking forward to 2010 and I would be so happy if I could lose another 10 or 15 pounds this year! I feel great. :)

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:55 pm

So far, so green, but I really want some chocolate........

Too many S days in a row, my body is having major cravings. I can do it, I will fight the chocolate and win :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:09 pm

~emilyr wrote:Total weight loss to date ~ 40 pounds! I feel great. :)
Incredible Em! I'm jealous! Keep it up. I will catch up to you this year for sure!
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:56 pm

I lost the fight, dirty rotten chocolate and leftover Christmas cookies :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Today is going much better :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was just listening to the Boss and Girls in their Summer Clothes, that sounds so good right now, I'm an icicle...............

http://www.vevo.com/watch/bruce-springs ... SM20703275
Last edited by ~emilyr on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:11 pm

I am going for green today......

I just have to vent about the weather ~ it is really dragging me down. I just don't know what to do.... I'm cold, the sun never shines, there are huge piles of snow everywhere, I think our roof may collapse and I have no intention of climbing up there to shovel it off, a simple trip to the grocery store is a challenge with a 5 inch layer of ice on the roads, sidewalks, and parking lots..... ugh.

And its only January, what am I gonna do?????????????? :idea: :idea: I need a new attitude......

So far this year I have lost one pound ~ the first pound of 2010 :D :D

And Renee, I hope you catch me this year and pass me up if you want ~ this will be your year, I gotta feeling.....

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Although I'm totally lovin' the snow snow snow... my suggestion to you is to get a great summer romance book, a very hot tub, way too many bubbles, a glass of lemonade or better yet wine cooler (summery) and lock the door for as long as you can. Is your tub in front of a window? I don't think it is, I can't remember. I like the sun to shine in, but in your anti-blustery case, close the curtains in your bathroom. Pure escape. Oh, and if the cold wind howling bothers you :wink: , add some summer music. This weather really pumps me up, but I suggest this to you... and remember that Minnesota is further NORTH than Iowa!
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 am

This was a terrible rotten food day ~ I didn't enjoy any of the junk I ate, I hate that :evil: :evil:

Just a bad day, tomorrow will be better! Good Nite!

PS Reneew, I'm not even blaming the weather, but now that I think about it, thats the problem ~ its too cold to enjoy anything right now, I'm going to take a nice warm bubble bath...............

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Good idea! :wink: Hope you enjoyed it.

Now, it's finally warming up. It's not only finally above 0', my thermometer says 35 !!!!!!!!! Woohoo! I don't even need a coat after that 2 1/2 week cold snap. Get out there and enjoy that sunshine!
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:35 pm

It was a heat wave ~ I actually smiled again :D :D :D :D The bath was good, I turned on the jacuzzi ~ the 3rd time since we've lived here!! Thanks for the good idea!

I've had a couple of solid green days in a row, things are going well! I just referred a friend to the website ~ hope she finds as much peace with food as I have :!: :!: :!:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Yea, peace man! :wink: I'm looking for it still.
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm

So, are you trying to force me into wearing glasses??!! What was that you said?? Peace to you to my friend!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Yea, go buy some glasses so you can read what I write to you. Maybe I should write this way all of the time! It's kinda fun, and I'll keep you on your toes. My struggle is ongoing and I need the peace that you and Kathleen seem to have found. Have a good day, and go buy those glasses. :wink:
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Funny Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made an eye appointment February 4th, so for now, how about a little bigger type :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How are things going, are you on track, making good choices today? We have an ice day, would have been nice if they would have called it BEFORE I took Paul in at 7 to lift............. And, did I mention, the roads were fine, perfect ~ I don't get it!!

GOING GREEN :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:07 pm

Still doing good? We need an update on your progress. :wink:
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 am

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Six more pounds fell off of me during January!! I am still here working the no s..... still loving it! Wondering when I'll get an idea for a goal weight, I'm not sure, so I'm just gonna keep on doing what I'm doing and not worry about that!

I think I'll be ready for the 5k in March ~ had a few knee issues, but my hip strengthening is going great! I'ma gonna do it! Hear that determination!!

How is everyone doing? I need to spend some time catching up on no S! This basketball season is getting grueling :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If your happy and you know it, clap your hands!!

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:33 pm

I had a red day yesterday ~ still have Christmas treats around the house ~ peppermint bark from Trader Joe's!! Well, now its gone :lol: :lol: Laughing seems like the right emotion??!! Anyway, its the weekend, I'll regroup for Monday!!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:13 pm

That's 46!!!! You should be our famous person Reinhard is looking for!!! :wink:
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Really? I kind of don't like to look at that number for some reason, its kind of embarrassing that I had that much to lose!! Is that weird?

I can NOT keep myself away from the Scotcheroo Bars today, I've had three!!! They are so d***n good, they are sinful..............

Help???????????

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 pm

February has been very rough..... :( :( :( I am going to join the March challenge if one becomes available!! ((BIG hint Renee))... :wink:

I'm hoping to make it through February without a gain ~ right now I'm up one pound!!! I will do it!!! I'm regaining focus just by reading everyones posts and ideas ~ thank you! :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:27 pm

~emilyr wrote:February has been very rough..... :( :( :( I am going to join the March challenge if one becomes available!! ((BIG hint Renee))... :wink:
:roll: sure, just when I decide to call it quits... I'll think on it.
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:27 pm

I am ready to begin the March challenge!! :D :D :D

March = closer to spring :!: :!: :!: :!:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:03 pm

the challenge is posted :wink:
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:01 pm

MARCH 1ST! Getting closer and closer to Spring, I'm ready! Thanks Reneew for starting the March challenge, I need it! February was rough, I gained 4 pounds :( :( :( :( I found an interesting message from God, as I like to say, right when I needed it! I am now ready to begin again with renewed passion!

See if this sounds familiar: You create a goal and start moving in that direction. A few more dollars a few less pounds and your on top of the world. You imagine what its going to be like when you overcome and arrive at that final destination.

A few successes later and, in your elation, treat yourself for your hard work. You deserve it!

The treat (a bauble or a cookie) seemed to have no impact, so you have another.

Soon you don't feel so elated, in fact, you begin to wonder if this is going to turn out. Very shortly, you find yourself back where you started. You become worried, anxious and resentful then give up.

At some point, you become disgusted with how things are going and you become determined again - and the cycle continues.

What happened? The treat seemed to have no impact - but it had a huge one - massive, enormous, cataclysmic even.

It was the moment you knew better and did it anyway. You can't cheat physics; calories and dollars.

If you have lofty ambitions, getting thin or getting rich, the victory is in the hundreds or even thousands of moments where you know better and honor your plan.

Why most people never accomplish this is that they think of these moments as painful vs victorious. They entertain a narrative of depravity vs dignity.

Dignity is an experience that only comes after long periods of follow-through on promises kept with yourself.

If you have lofty ambitions, we recommend this is your first small massive step.

"Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.â€

Abraham J Heschel

Related Start a new habit (or end one)

John Patterson

© 2010 Influence Ecology

Here's thinking March will be terrific!! GREEN GREEN GREEN :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Just another manic monday... I'm off to run outside, spring is close! The robins are back, I feel happier... I've lost 2 of the 4 pounds I gained last month!! It's good to be back on track!! No S makes it easier and I keep telling myself this is it, day in, day out ~ I have dignity!! Self respect is the fruit of discipline :D :D :D

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 pm

~emilyr wrote:MARCH 1ST! Getting closer and closer to Spring, I'm ready! Thanks Reneew for starting the March challenge, I need it! February was rough, I gained 4 pounds :( :( :( :( I found an interesting message from God, as I like to say, right when I needed it! I am now ready to begin again with renewed passion!

See if this sounds familiar: You create a goal and start moving in that direction. A few more dollars a few less pounds and your on top of the world. You imagine what its going to be like when you overcome and arrive at that final destination.

A few successes later and, in your elation, treat yourself for your hard work. You deserve it!

The treat (a bauble or a cookie) seemed to have no impact, so you have another.

Soon you don't feel so elated, in fact, you begin to wonder if this is going to turn out. Very shortly, you find yourself back where you started. You become worried, anxious and resentful then give up.

At some point, you become disgusted with how things are going and you become determined again - and the cycle continues.

What happened? The treat seemed to have no impact - but it had a huge one - massive, enormous, cataclysmic even.

It was the moment you knew better and did it anyway. You can't cheat physics; calories and dollars.

If you have lofty ambitions, getting thin or getting rich, the victory is in the hundreds or even thousands of moments where you know better and honor your plan.

Why most people never accomplish this is that they think of these moments as painful vs victorious. They entertain a narrative of depravity vs dignity.

Dignity is an experience that only comes after long periods of follow-through on promises kept with yourself.

If you have lofty ambitions, we recommend this is your first small massive step.

"Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.â€

Abraham J Heschel

Related Start a new habit (or end one)

John Patterson

© 2010 Influence Ecology

Here's thinking March will be terrific!! GREEN GREEN GREEN :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
This cycle is all-too-familiar to me as well. I'm hoping this time I can break it for good--I think I can. You can too!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:29 pm

You go girl!
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Off to enjoy spring break and all those wonderful s days!!!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm

O.K. I know you're back. How did you do?

I think you should be the success girl in the magazine!!! You go girl!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 pm

So, how far was your marathon? How well did you do?
Please pray for me

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:41 pm

I feel for you Emily. I'm not going to get dinner until a couple hours late and I'm grinding my teeth about it. Probably shouldn't.

Go you for stopping at one failure. Baby steps.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:05 pm

So? update us. How much have you lost? Are you "there" yet? You should be!!! I honestly never thought you looked big in the first place. :wink:
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:01 pm

April 1, 2010

Life is wonderful! I ran a 5k on Sunday, the last time was 23 years ago!! I finished very strong!! Shocked myself... I was so focused I didn't see my time when I ran across the finish line. I had to go back and check ~ 31 minutes 50 seconds. Only four minutes longer than 23 years ago. Not too bad for a middle aged woman that started on a path to good health over a year ago.... I still try my best to follow the no s principals and have added healthy foods to the three meals a day. I exercise daily. I love the Lord and I feel great!! Still missing my mom like crazy...

I gained four pounds in February and I stayed the same in March, so I'm thinking this will be my goal weight! I'm happy with it... I don't feel skinny and I don't feel fat, no s quieted the voices in my left side brain!!! I am at peace... It's a good place to be! Looks like I lost 45 pounds total!! I am proud of my accomplishments! I will follow the no s principals and exercise every day for the rest of my life! Just because I got here, it's not time to quit. It's time to remain focused and never go back! :D

All the emotions that took me here ~ :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :shock: :lol: :) :) :) :D :D :shock: :? 8) 8) 8) :( :) :D :shock: :cry: :D :) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :cry: :oops: :lol: 8) :o :( :) :D :shock:

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Emily, what a wonderful, inspirational post - Congratulations! You really should post in the Testimonials section.

Even better than the weight loss is the joy that radiates from every word you wrote (and your icons!)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:52 pm

I agree! Inspire others and repost it in testimonials! You're awesome!
Please pray for me

~emilyr

aah!!

Post by ~emilyr » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:03 am

Summer is winding down and I'm still doing good!! I ended up with a stress fractured ankle after running my second 5k in May, am slowly working my way back up to running 3 miles!! My weight has fluctuated a little, but I am still at peace ~ LOVE no s!!! :D

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Glad to see that you're still doing it! Miss ya!
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 pm

I am glad too!! I have gained about eight pounds back. I am exercising regularly and didn't freak out about the weight gain as I have in the past. Just trying to buckle down with the no s principals!! :D