Big E's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BigE

Big E's daily check-in

Post by BigE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:50 pm

I did it. One day on no s and ready to start the next. One day at a time.

It's pretty amazing to me how often I would have reached for a snack without really thinking about it too much (I'm also on vacation, which leads to more snacking-on-impulse). I also spent a lot more time planning my meals. It does feel good to feel hungry again, and I don't mean that sarcastically. In the past, when I was losing weight, I could tell because I felt real hunger before eating -- not that desperate, I'm starving feeling, but a hunger that's pleasant because then the meal is actually satisfying.

BigE

Post by BigE » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Day 2, SUCCESS.
Okay, but . . . the hunger hits at about 5:00, and then it's a long wait until my 7:00 dinner. I had a perfectly normal-sized dinner -- leftover chicken with cream sauce and rice pilaf -- but around an hour after dinner I felt hungry again. I haven't been desperately hungry or anything, but my stomach is growling. If this is just a temporary thing until my body adjusts, then I can handle it. But I don't want to permanently feel hungry for this long!
Last edited by BigE on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Hang tough.

Unless you have a medical condition that requires more frequent meals, you will do find on three meals a day.

It is so rare in this country of abundance to experience hunger that it isn't a very good feeling.

BUT -

Embrace your hunger and accept that it shows your body burning up the stored fat.

You do can do this!

sr :wink:

BigE

Post by BigE » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I needed that reminder. In the past I used to claim "low blood sugar" because my hunger would spike and I'd feel crazed to eat -- I know now that this was a result of my high consumption of sugary foods. (There's a great scene making fun of this in an old episode of "Will and Grace." Grace uses low blood sugar as an excuse for scarfing down Will's food. Will's reply: Buy yourself a box of cereal!).

Anyway, I haven't felt any "low-blood sugar"-type crazy hunger in the last two days -- just vague hunger. Strange that I don't mind it at all before breakfast or before lunch -- just in the evening before dinner and late at night before bedtime. Could it be a mere case of boredom, without enough distractions? :wink:

I'll keep on chugging along . . . time for lunch!

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:36 pm

Day 3: SUCCESS. Last night I took my daughter, baby niece, and dog for a little walk just before dinner. Came home VERY hungry. Once again, filled a large plate but didn't come close to finishing it. Apparently, if it's not calories I'm "sneaking" in mindlessly, I'm just not interested in it. I'm curious about how today will go, my first S day. Actually I'm slightly anxious. Relieved though that I won't have to worry about what I eat at my husband's work party.
Last edited by BigE on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Day 4: S Day
Just to keep track, for future reference:
Ate a "regular" breakfast (egg, toast, skim milk)
AND 3 pancakes with my daughter: 2 blueberry and 1 chocolate chip (oh and the uneaten portion of my daughter's chocolate chip pancakes).

Sunflower seeds in the shell for a snack

Miso soup for lunch, followed by a "diet" snack bar

Felt grumpy and out of sorts; took a 30-minute walk with the dog and felt a lot better.

Had some cheese and crackers at the dinner party, then for dinner: ribs, potato salad, cole slaw, green salad.

For dessert: 2 marshmallows, 1 square of chocolate (didn't want the S'more, just the "parts.")

I think I felt grumpy and out of sorts in the afternoon because I didn't feel very good after the pancakes/sunflower seeds, which led to irritability as I attempted to satisfy my hunger -- same cycle I've been through countless times. It made me feel grumpy, as if the S days are some sort of trick -- sure, you can eat however you want, but it won't feel good so you'll want to follow the rules anyway.

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago when I stopped eating sweets entirely. The first time I ate a sweet for a special occasion (a few months after going cold-turkey) I just didn't enjoy the sweet very much because it made me feel awful. Then I felt sort of resentful that I wouldn't be able to enjoy desserts any more. I finally came to terms with the fact that I'd become a "lightweight" of sweets -- much much smaller portions satisfied me, and I had a taste for different kinds of sweets (strawberry ice cream instead of dark chocolate for instance).

So this post is long and rambling because I'm still coming to terms with the fact that a few years ago I cut out sweets entirely, created this incredible momentum for myself, lost tons of weight (38 pounds on a 5'3" small frame), got super fit, felt liked I'd solved my lifelong problems with eating and weight management, then started to "cheat" and slowly gained (almost) all of the weight back. I still feel so deeply frustrated that I couldn't maintain that weight loss and that I'm starting all over. Again. I so fervently hope that the no s will finally be the solution I'm looking for. I know that I'm capable of losing weight, and giving up sweets, and exercising regularly. But the larger goal for me is to MAINTAIN whatever weight ends up being my ideal. To be able to write a post a year from now, ten years from now, etc. that says I've successfully maintained.

I'm hopeful that no s will work where my plan failed because of two key differences: the s days and accountability (habitcal and bulletin board).
Last edited by BigE on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigE

Post by BigE » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Day 5: S day
I feel better now that I've listened to the S Days Gone Wild Podcast. Really, I ate this weekend that way I've been eating every day for the past several months.

Sunday: light breakfast (toast and milk), hearty brunch (pancakes, blueberries, scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage) -- with seconds. Dinner was a crummy cheeseburger and Sun chips at the jazz festival in the park. Extras: 3 or 4 "two-bite" cupcakes; a couple of handfuls of popcorn.

Okay, okay, my PRE-NO S days were worse. I'd eat an entire bag of microwave popcorn. I'd sneak 4 or 5 cookies when everyone was in bed. And still have my 3 square meals a day. And let's not even get into the "diet bars" I've gotten hooked on.
Last edited by BigE on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigE

Post by BigE » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 pm

Day 6: SUCCESS.
Yesterday was a really tough day emotionally, so I'm proud of myself for remaining firmly no s. It also helped that I had an early dinner.

The lime-flavored sparkling mineral water (no sugar) is my saving grace for the late-afternoon urge to snack. Now the sparkling mineral water is my little ritual; it gives my mouth something to do, feels like a little treat, and fills up my stomach just enough that I can make it to dinner easily.

Thoughts on hunger: Have you noticed how often people who have lost a lot of weight on one diet or another always say: "It was great -- I'm never hungry!" It actually seems like a good thing to me to have regular feelings of hunger, followed by reasonably sized meals. I'm really personally baffled by my obsession with being hungry. I joke with friends that it's as if I've survived being a prisoner of war or something, when in fact I don't think I've ever been truly hungry in my entire life! Where in the world does it come from, my fear on N days that my meal won't sustain me until the next one? Ah well, maybe I'll get it with practice.

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:16 pm

Day seven: SUCCESS! Yippee! One week on "no s." I broke down and weighed myself this morning. I was 147.5 at 3:00 a.m. this morning (couldn't sleep) and then lo and behold 146.5 at 9:30 a.m. Proof that I should only weigh myself once a month. Next weigh-in: August 1. Period.

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Day 8: SUCCESS This is my last N day for the week, because I'm taking tomorrow as an N day. It's the day before the 4th of July.

I'm still finding the most difficult part of n days to be an hour before dinner and a couple of hours after dinner. I'm trying not to ruminate too much on what my schedule will be like when school starts and just roll with it for now.

Otherwise, it's been a pretty easy N week. I like the fact that it's causing me to have more real meals at the table with my daughter -- it's sort of horrifying to realize how often I've been letting that slide -- eating in front of the tv, eating at different times . . .

One really nice thing about my in-laws coming is that they really believe in eating regular meals.

BigE

I SURVIVED A KIDDIE BIRTHDAY PARTY

Post by BigE » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:07 am

I made it through a kid's birthday party from 5-7ish p.m., my hungriest time of the day, politely declined the veggies and dip, the cherries, the fries, chicken nuggets (the party was at McDonald's -- home of my childhood comfort foods). When I got home I thought I'd be starved because it was almost 7:30. But by the time I sat down to my plate of leftovers, I realized I wasn't as hungry as I thought I would be. I did put a small handful of potato chips on my plate (along with leftover chicken spinach pasta and cooked vegetables) and I did eat all my chips, but I also left several bites of pasta on the plate. In the past, sitting through a noisy kid's birthday party and being late for my own dinner would have given me a "free pass" to come home and eat whatever I wanted -- lots of carbs, snacks and sweets. This time I didn't have that outlet.

BigE

Post by BigE » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Day 9: SUCCESS
Friday the 3rd: still on the fence about making it a yellow day. I'll make it a game day decision.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Day 10: S DAY

TAILGATING PARTY + ROCK CONCERT = S DAY

I actually ate like it was an N day all day long, and then broke down during the concert and bought a bag of popcorn. Also ate a piece of chocolate cake when we got home, but it wasn't very satisfying so I only had a few bites before throwing it away.

Today (Saturday) is the same. I made it a point to eat my breakfast and lunch on a plate, just because it feels better. I had some of the chocolate sheet cake for dessert, but it didn't taste all that great to me. I also had seconds on pancakes for breakfast.

I'd really like it if that could continue to be my S day routine: continue to eat 3 meals a day, on a real plate, at a table, but allow myself to eat seconds and sweets as desired.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Day 11: S DAY
Breakfast: whole grain toast, skim milk, 2 blueberry pancakes (s)

Lunch: broccoli pot pie (Amy's), strawberries, small handful of chips

Dinner: tastes of cheddar cheese (s), cheeseburger, pickle, corn on the cob

Dessert (s): 3 small pieces of chocolate sheet cake (really, very small pieces!)

BigE

Post by BigE » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Day 12: S DAY (gone wild)

Wow, I had been feeling so virtuous about having pretty managable s days -- until yesterday!

All the triggers were there: I went to my brother and sister-in-law's house to babysit my niece and nephews. They have loads of snacks readily available. I also had some big stress involving a kitchen accident which I don't even want to get into.

So, bottom line for yesterday:
homemade whole grain granola with milk for breakfast,
then homemade strawberry shortcake (a Wimbledon tradition, my "plan" was that this would be my only indulgence for the day)
then brunch -- hash browns, sausage, scrambled eggs -- did have small seconds.
THEN at my brother and sister-in-law's house: lots of popcorn, 3 pieces of frozen pizza, some raw veggies with ranch dressing, a big bowl of chocolate ice cream with m&ms, then MORE m&m's, then MORE popcorn. Had trouble sleeping due to big stomach ache!

la_loser

No biggie (pardon the pun!)

Post by la_loser » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 pm

No big deal--you're just getting started. . . and early S days easily get out of control. . . so in the words of Vicki (vmsubat) from Montenegro. . . just "Mark it and move on." and of course, learn from it!

Here's to a green recovery day!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

BigE

Post by BigE » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks! I didn't remember who coined the phrase, but I have repeated that mantra many times in my head this morning: Just mark it and move on. I already say "fence around the rule" many times to myself, mostly on N days when I'm about to nibble on something during food preparation.

It felt SO good to eat my nice little balanced breakfast this morning. Lovely blueberries, perfectly cooked fried egg, whole wheat toast, skim milk. Held fast when my father-in-law offered me more blueberries, two or three times. It's such a social thing in our society, to offer people food. I know I've done it a lot.

BigE

Post by BigE » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Day 13: SUCCESS

Nice to be back to normal on an N day again. My huge accomplishment for the day was to NOT get popcorn when I went to the movies. This is HUGE for me! It helped that I had a perfectly lovely dinner beforehand: a Vietnamese sandwich with sweet potatoe fries.

Tonight is going to be tricky because I have a class from 5 to 8. I'm going to have lunch at around 3:00, then eat a light dinner when I get home.

It's good for me to think about "budgeting" s days -- to have some sort of planning around my eating is a good thing. I figured that I didn't want to "spend" an S day on popcorn at the movies OR snacking around my evening class.

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:12 am

Day 14: SUCCESS
Still declaring this a green day, but must confess that I had to use the "virtual plate" trick at dinner tonight. I had lunch at 3, then my evening class, then met my family for dinner at about 7:30 at a Thai restaurant. Starved! Family members kept insisting that I have a spring roll, and the entrees had not yet arrived. I ate one spring roll, chewing SLOWLY, and when I got my entree I imagined the spring roll on the plate with it. Also, to help things along, I had my entree on an appetizer-sized plate.

I ended the meal feeling SATISFIED, but not FULL. Reflected on how the French don't say "I'm full." (If a woman says "I'm full" literally in French "Je suis pleine." then she's saying "I'm pregnant."). The French don't generally eat to fullness. Reflected on this for much of the evening: what it feels like to be SATISFIED (NOT FULL!).

THAT IS SUCCESS!!!

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:32 pm

DAY 15: S DAY

Yes, yes, it was planned ahead of time, a designated s day. I had my "usual" toast and milk and blueberries for breakfast, lunch at the museum cafeteria -- one chicken taco with a couple of carrots. Dinner: BLAT again with two pineapple slices and an extra tomato.

Had a small ice cream sundae at book club (the reason I planned it as an s day) and one two-bite cupcake last night.

BigE

Post by BigE » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:42 pm

So far, so good. I've been on vacation in the mountains, so no wireless access for several days. I don't want to bother with writing up every day. Every N day has been a success, and every S day has been fairly moderate (I was a bit ill after the s'mores on Saturday but otherwise . . .)

I've had to make some adjustments with being on vacation. For instance, I did have one small bite of my husband's trout that he caught himself. I had officially already eaten dinner, because he had to wait to put the fish on the grill. I refuse to call that transgression a "failure."

At restaurants, I've been ordering salad but I actually wait until the entree arrives and eat it all together. Last time we ate at a restaurant I physically put the salad on the plate next to my other food.

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:56 am

Just to keep myself on record: days 16 through 27 were all SUCCESSful days. I have had Saturday and Sunday S days, but no "special" days while on vacation.

Some thoughts on No S on vacation: Mostly the challenge was maintaining no s when we had dinner at a late hour (because I was with a large family group and everyone else was SNACKING! Have I mentioned that snacking is my biggest temptation?)

I had one S day of feeling ill (I wrote about it in my journal -- too many s'mores, snacks etc.) but otherwise I've come to a pleasant comfort level in my S days. I get SO MUCH MORE enjoyment out of my S Day indulgences, which include:

Seconds on homemade bread toasted and topped with raspberry jam that my husband's cousin made herself from home-grown raspberries! Just like my grandma made!

The simple pleasure of eating sunflower seeds out of the shell while playing a game with my daughter!

Grandma's chocolate cake (known as "Texas Sheet Cake" in other circles)

S'mores by the outdoor fire pit

Other thoughts:
I'm continuing to put my fork down after every bite, and I just noticed that I'm now the slowwwwest eater in the family (formerly the fastest!).

I'm very tempted to hop on the scale (I've decided to only weigh myself on the first of every month) and I'm simultaneously dreading the prospect. So much of my feelings of self-worth rely on the number on the scale. If I haven't lost weight, then I will feel defeated. If I have lost weight, then I will feel happy and motivated to continue.

I have been struggling for MONTHS to quit eating sweets again (I quit cold turkey a few years ago and then gradually went back to my old habits). Suddenly with the NO S diet it's been no problem at all, knowing I have the safety net of S days. And because I'm not eating any sweets during the week, my sugar tolerance has been reduced on S days. I'm now a "lightweight" sweet-eater again; I actually fantasize a lot more about snacking on S days than I do about sweets. I've had surprisingly few sweet binges on S days, because I NEED fewer sweets to feel content.

I'm learning to live with hunger. I posted elsewhere about my fear of hunger. I'm learning that it really is okay to be hungry (I'm not talking about starving myself, just being hungry an hour before a normal mealtime).

I've discovered that snacking and secret sweet eating has been a way for me to give myself little breaks throughout the day, and that it's actually more satisfying to allow myself the pleasure of three good meals per day.

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:22 pm

DAY 28: SUCCESS

All this week I have a professional development, which includes free breakfast and free lunch. So, yesterday I had a glass of milk and green tea at home, then ate half a bagel with cream cheese and fruit salad for breakfast at the school. Lunch was a chicken caesar salad which was HUGE; I definitely ate less than half. Didn't touch the cookie; stuck it in my purse. For dinner I did drink a glass of milk just before going to my 5:00 class, then got out early and had dinner at home by myself: fresh blueberries and a Lean Cuisine pasta carbonara.

It is getting easier, and I'm feeling ready to start exercising regularly but not THIS week -- I have another house guest arriving tomorrow night, and then different house guests on Monday.

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 pm

DAY 29: SUCCESS

Same old, same old.
Skim milk in the morning, and green tea
Bagel w/cream cheese and mixed fruit for breakfast
Lunch: curry chicken salad sandwich, chips, fruit
skim milk in late afternoon
Dinner: rotisserie chicken, salad, some slices of nectarine

Brought the cookie and candy doled out at the training to my daughter.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:26 pm

DAY 30 (Thursday) SUCCESS
Pretty normal day; bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, cobb salad for lunch, black bean tacos for dinner
DAY 31 (Friday) S DAY
Today was a Special day because I knew we would be going out to a nice dinner with our friend from out of town. Decided that because it's a designated S day, I could eat a cookie at lunch. Felt really brain dead and sluggish as a result. Didn't snack. Had a wonderful dinner: olives, arugula salad with pine nuts, fried chicken and mashed potatoes and succatash, amazing chocolate torte, some bites of strawberry shortcake. The dessert put me over the edge -- of feeling uncomfortably full.

Day 32 (Saturday) S DAY
Ate two pancakes with my daughter and house guest; toast
Roast beef sandwich for lunch
Snacked on sunflower seeds on the hiking trail
Vietnamese bun with egg rolls for dinner

BigE

Post by BigE » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:37 am

DAY 33: (Sunday) S DAY

This was not really a "gone wild" but sort of close. I did eat a lot of little two-bite cupcakes . . . maybe 6? I also had 4 or 5 chocolate chip pancakes. Lunch was fish and chips, but my portion control was good -- I got full pretty quickly. Dinner was light == pasta with feta, sun-dried tomatoes and cillantro.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:27 am

I love two-bite cupcakes -especially the ones with crumb topping and caramel inside. Yum. :D

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:12 am

These are chocolate with chocolate icing from Whole Foods. They're my current favorite sweet.

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:29 am

DAY 34: SUCCESS
(MONDAY)
N day
Breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, blueberries, skim milk
Lunch: spicy Italian sandwich (Subway); didn't finish
Boulder salt & vinegar chips
Dinner: my mother-in-law's pan fried chicken with twice-baked potatoes and salad. Amazing meal!

Note: brought home my free cookie from my training again for my daughter. Somehow it can be hard for me to pass up food when it's free, especially sweets. So it helps to bring it home to my little girl.

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:31 am

Day 35: SUCCESS
(Tuesday)

Breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, skim milk, blueberries
Lunch: chicken breast sandwich (Subway, didn't finish), Cool Ranch Doritos

Dinner: My mother-in-law's homemade meatballs and spaghetti, slice of Italian bread, salad with bleu cheese dressing

Comment: Felt SOOOOOOOOOO hungry when I got home from my training at about 4:00, true "shaky" hunger; finally had a small glass of milk, and then the shakes actually went away and I just felt "normal" hunger until it was time to eat.

I am making a really important discovery: hunger is not an excuse to overeat. I get pretty hungry but then I'm still able to eat a reasonable amount of dinner.
Last edited by BigE on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:44 pm

DAY 36: SUCCESS

breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, blueberries, skim milk
lunch: chicken with madeira sauce and goat cheese, crispy polenta, veggie and roll (at a nice restaurant: I've adapted the "one plate" rule in restaurants to "half the plate" when it's a large portion.)

dinner: leftovers from the lunch, with a piece of buttered bread and some grapes.

BigE

Post by BigE » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:01 pm

DAY 37 (Thursday): SUCCESS

breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, blueberries, skim milk
lunch: part of a chicken sub from Subways(getting really sick of Subway -- free lunch); Cool Ranch Doritos
dinner: at my friend's house: homemade meatballs with sauce; couscous salad; corn on the cob

Note: The corn on the cob was on a really cute little "corn-on-the-cob" dish next to the plate. I just couldn't bring myself to be rude and put the corn on my plate, so I invoked the "virtual plate" rule. The corn could have easily fit on my plate, and I ate everything at one sitting.

Didn't eat any of the crackers and cheese or potato chips set out before dinner. Not a big deal.

Was quite glad to keep to my diet, without having to talk about it. Talking about dieting is so tedious (to those not dieting). Which explains the value of the Daily Check In. I can keep myself accountable, and discuss my diet as much as I'd like, without letting it take over my everyday conversations with friends and family.

masher

Post by masher » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:36 pm

BigE wrote:DAY 37 (Thursday): SUCCESS

Was quite glad to keep to my diet, without having to talk about it. Talking about dieting is so tedious (to those not dieting). Which explains the value of the Daily Check In. I can keep myself accountable, and discuss my diet as much as I'd like, without letting it take over my everyday conversations with friends and family.
Yes, my thoughts exactly! Thanks for sharing.
I too keep on track by holding myself responsible. It is also useful to have a clear record of food, drink and mood. Filling in the green squares is also motivating to me.

You may have to change your sign in to "Small E" soon!

Masher

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:00 am

Thanks for the reply. The other benefit of the Daily Check-In is that I know that there are people out there potentially reading it, which adds another layer of accountability without any kind of burden on anybody else. It's nice to see replys every once in a while, just to know that someone out there in cyberspace is paying attention.

On "Big E" :wink: The history of that nickname was that in college I tried to get people to call me that as an ironic nickname: I'm pretty short, and in college I was very thin as well. But yes, I am hoping to become a smaller E again. :) Tomorrow's my first weigh-in in a month, so we'll see . . .

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:27 pm

DAY 38: (Friday) SUCCESS

Breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, blueberries, skim milk
Lunch: half of a Subways sandwich (soooooooooo glad that training is over) and Cool Ranch Doritos
Dinner: leftover spaghetti and meatballs with a salad

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:31 pm

August 1 Weigh-In: 146

I'm feeling pretty disappointed, because that means I've lost just half a pound in a month. I knew it wouldn't be a large figure, because despite no red days I've been on vacation (so naturally eating richer foods) and not exercising. But still. Half a pound???

For any of you No Sers out there reading this: No, I'm not going to quit No Sing. I'll keep plugging along, because I like the way it's changed my attitudes about eating. And I know it can take longer to reach real weight loss. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Still disappointed. :(

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Just re-weighed with the result of: 145.5
Proof that: the scale can vary
and
I'm still obsessed with the scale -- it least I'm now going through a monthly mood swing instead of weekly.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:34 pm

On Mimi's model (you're such a good teacher)

List of Accomplishments in the past month:

1. LOST WEIGHT on mother-in-law's divine cooking and many restaurant meals! [one pound, half a pound? it still counts as a LOSS]

2. Reduced by about 90% the amount of "emotional eating/binging." I have a bad habit of reaching for the cookies/chips/whatever is in the pantry when I'm feeling stressed or angry or anxious or bored. That has gone down tremendously on No S, even on S days. Even on S days, I'm usually eating my treats purposefully -- it's so much more satisfying and Normal-Feeling to PLAN on eating the two-bite cupcakes than to sneak the food at night when no one is looking. :D

3. I enjoy my meals so much more without the constant snacking.

4. I haven't eaten a single protein or diet bar since No Sing. Yahoo!!

5. I'm eating more fruits and veggies, because it's easy to see on the plate that I need to fill it with fruits and veggies. Every meal contains fruits or veggies and a protein, and some carbs -- it's much easier to know I'm eating a balanced meal with only three plates to think about.

6. I've successfully become a Slow Eater again. I used to be the first one at the table to finish my meal, and now I'm the LAST.

7. I'm getting over my fear of being hungry. Even the blood-sugar drop, shaky hunger can be easily remedied with a glass of skim milk.

8. I've found a group of supportive people out in cyberspace who will listen to my rantings and ravings and keep me feeling accountable.

9. I've NEVER had a RED DAY on the NO S HABITCAL!!!!!!!!!!! The "sticker chart" mentality still works for me, at age 40.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:13 pm

DAY 39: Saturday: S DAY

Enjoyed a chocolate chip pancake with my daughter, along with the usual whole grain toast, blueberries, skim milk

Lunch: broccoli pot pie (Amy's frozen)

Indulged in my ultimate snack: buttered movie popcorn (saw Up with my daughter -- so GOOD!) significant that I didn't eat so much that I felt ill

Dinner: tapas at a party hosted by my new co-worker. It was nice that this fell on an S day; I really didn't eat very much, but it would have been awkward to try to get it all on one plate, one sitting. Ate: one small pastry filled with shredded chicken and chiles, 4 or 5 olives; 3 or 4 cubes of watermelon; 2 Mexican wedding cookies, 3 tortilla chips with guacamole; 1 1/4 glasses of sangria.

Note: Felt hungry when I got home, but just didn't feel like eating anything; nothing was readily available, and I'm more accustomed to feeling hungry now.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:16 pm

DAY 40: Sunday S DAY

Breakfast: 3 or 4 chocolate chip pancakes, skim milk, green tea

Lunch: reheated Stouffer's mac and cheese

Snacking: a couple handfuls of microwave popcorn; two handfuls of sunflower seeds (in the shell)

Dinner: (at my dad's house): Enjoyed getting a Second slice of pizza (which makes 2 slices total); side salad; half a Slice of yellow cake with chocolate frosting

BigE

Post by BigE » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:21 pm

DAY 41: Monday: SUCCESS

First day of URBANBIKER. Glad I made it just 15 minutes this morning, b/c it was indeed difficult (exercise bike). Feel good now though. And it felt good to take the hanger off the bike and actually PLUG IT IN! :oops:
PM: Took a 30 minute walk with my dog and neighbor's dog.

NO S:

breakfast: whole grain toast (2 slices); grapes, skim milk

lunch: half a Tasty Turkey bagel sandwich; half of a large cup of fruit salad.

dinner: cheese tortellini; salad w/bleu cheese dressing
Last edited by BigE on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigE

Post by BigE » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 am

Day 42: Tuesday SUCCESS

URBANBIKER: Rode the exercise bike for 15 minutes in a.m. Note: got in a lot of incidental exercise with walking and lifting as I put together my classroom. It's a huge building -- I'm on the second floor -- and I have to walk the loooong way around because of cleaning/construction.
breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, skim milk, sliced nectarine

Lunch: other half of the Einstein's Tasty Turkey sandwich, and the rest of the fruit salad

Dinner: creamy chicken and spinach pasta (frozen skillet meal, in a hurry); salad with bleu cheese dressing

For P.M. exercise, we walked to the park for soccer. (around 30 minutes round trip)

Note: Felt incredible shaky, GOTTA EAT hunger before dinner. Drank my cup of skim milk while preparing dinner, then ate my meal in REASONABLE portions, and then felt fine for the rest of the evening. In the past, I've always overeaten when I'm really hungry. I'm getting over that.
Last edited by BigE on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:14 am

Day 43: Wednesday: SUCCESS

URBANBIKER:
a.m. 15 minutes on exercise bike
p.m. 20 minutes walking

NO S:
breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, sliced nectarine, skim milk

lunch: ham and cheese sandwich; nectarine

dinner: cheeseburger, chips, corn on the cob

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Day 44: Thursday SUCCESS
URBANBIKER: exercise bike 15 minutes
This is definitely hard to do, just the 15 minutes, AND finding time in the afternoon to exercise. I would NOT be doing this if it weren't for HabitCal.
PM: exercise bike for 15 minutes
Plan for tomorrow: urban ranger: walk to the lightrail stop (around 30 minutes each way -- so 60 minutes round trip and then I'm done for the day's exercise]

NO S

breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, sliced nectarine

lunch: chicken caeser salad -- it was HUGE so I had about a third
[1 cup skim milk before exercising]
dinner: breakfast for dinner! 2 fried eggs, whole grain toast, sliced pineapple

BigE

Post by BigE » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:43 pm

DAY 45: Friday SUCCESS[/color]

URBANRANGER: walked to lightrail station in am (15 minutes)
walked home from lightrail station (24 minutes!)
incidental: 10 minutes at least walking around at the convention center

NO S:
breakfast: half a bagel w/cream cheese, assortment of fresh fruit
lunch: wild rice, salad, green beans, beef w/mushroom sauce, whole grain roll (all on ONE normal-sized plate).
dinner: spaghetti w/meatballs, salad

WHAT I DID NOT EAT: assorted breakfast pastries, fancy desserts with lunch, assorted candy, cookies (I was in the convention center at a new teacher induction: lots of goodies available).
Last edited by BigE on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:00 am

Way to stay strong BigE. Good job! :)

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks, Bushranger!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Congrats!

I STILL have a hard time when surrounded by junk all day. My usual pattern is to tough it out, then have a blow-out later. It's like I've used up all my willpower. I've learned to plan extra-nice N-meals on those days, which seems to counter-act the feelings of deprivation that arise from telling myself "No, no no" all day.

Any day that you make it through that kind of food-gauntlet, you deserve a gold star. :)

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks. I have had a pretty decadent S day today, maybe partly based on that, and partly based on feeling horrible (allergies!) and therefore sorry for myself.

Day 46: Saturday S DAY
breakfast: half a sugar cookie (left over from what I brought home for my daughter),2 slices whole grain toast, sliced pineapple, skim milk

Snack: handful of Cheetos, two handfuls almonds
Lunch: peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread, sliced pineapple

after afternoon nap: more Cheetos and an ice cream cone

Dinner: Chinese food: beef w/snow peas, white rice, fried rice (one plate)

Note: Chinese food was a disappointment; because we're on a tight budget, we've really cut down on take-out food. This was a treat, to order from our favorite Chinese place. But I wasn't very satisfied with my dinner because I just wasn't that hungry after my afternoon snacking.
Maybe slowly but surely I will learn from this.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:41 pm

DAY 47: Sunday S DAY

breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, pineapple, skim milk
PLUS later: 4 bites of my daughter's leftover cinnamon toast

lunch: pulled pork sandwich; chips and guacamole; cherries; come raw veggies
dessert: slice of cake
late afternoon snacking/binging: 2 bowls of popcorn, plus mindless handfuls from the bag
dinner: comfort food/2 slices cinnamon toast and leftover Chinese food and bites from my daughter's plate of Chinese

Note: Today I was the godmother at my niece's baptism. It was a lovely ceremony and EVERYONE in our immediate family and extended family was there . . . except my mom, who died four years ago. So the grief resurfaced in a big way, leading me to the comfort foods of my childhood -- popcorn and cinnamon toast -- and the habits of my childhood -- eating mindlessly while reading and hopefully while no one is looking (I didn't have much desire to overeat at the baptism party -- only when I got home). Not good. At least it was an S day.
Last edited by BigE on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:36 pm

BigE wrote:Note: Chinese food was a disappointment; because we're on a tight budget, we've really cut down on take-out food. This was a treat, to order from our favorite Chinese place. But I wasn't very satisfied with my dinner because I just wasn't that hungry after my afternoon snacking.
Maybe slowly but surely I will learn from this.
You may be experiencing something similar to myself. When I cleaned up my diet quite significantly about 2 years ago I found my desire for takeout went down a bit. When I do have it on occasion nowadays I often find myself disappointed afterwards. I think I hype it up in my mind and the taste and experience is never as great as I thought it was going to be. I suspect this is due to:

a) Knowing its total junk (even the healthier takeouts are full of additive rubbish that I would never see at home. Sugared breads in particular are commonplace.)
b) Having such tasty healthy meals at home regularly.

I'm sure you will figure it out naturally over time. I'm still doing that so don't expect it to work out overnight. :)

BigE

Post by BigE » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:15 am

DAY 48: Monday: SUCCESS

Breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, sliced pineapple, skim milk

Lunch: half a grilled cheese sandwich, sliced nectarine, water

Dinner: broccoli pot pie (Amy's)

Thought it would be hard after my S day binging, but no. Today was horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrendoussssssssssssssssssssssssssss, btw, but not in terms of diet/exercise.

Urbanbiker: Rode my bike to my new school for the first time; hit a detour on the bike path; took 1 hour and 10 minutes to get there!! Felt hot and crabby and totally dejected. Got my husband to pick me up; left the bike locked up and ready to be ridden home tomorrow. I'm counting this as a GREEN on HabitCal, despite the fact that I did not exercise later in the day. I am plumb worn out from my ride!

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:07 am

Day 49: SUCCESS Tuesday

breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, grapes
lunch: ham and cheese sandwich, grapes
dinner: spaghetti with marinara sauce, cheesy garlic bread, sliced cantaloupe

URBANBIKER: 15 minutes in the am on exercise bike; 15 minutes in the pm on the exercise bike

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:10 am

Day 50: Wednesday: SUCCESS

breakfast: 2 slices whole grain toast, skim milk
lunch: ham and cheese sandwich, grapes
dinner: chicken panang, 3 spinach cheese wontons (Thai take-out)

URBANBIKER: 15 minutes in am on exercise bike
15 minutes in pm on exercise bike

Exhausted, ended up riding the bike AFTER my glass of red wine. Not very pleasant but I did it. Why? Because of the little green square on HabitCal.

Also: I've definitely hit my stride on hunger management. Don't really care so much about being hungry in the late afternoon. It always passes.

BigE

Post by BigE » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:13 am

Day 51: Thursday: SUCCESS

URBANBIKER: 15 min. exercise bike am, 15 min. exercise bike pm

lunch: turkey&cheese sandwich, nectarine

dinner: 1 ramekin of Stouffer's mac & cheese w/ salad, bleu cheese dressing

In the past few days or so I've definitely turned a corner on hunger. I don't feel "starved" when I sit down to dinner or lunch. I still consistently feel pretty hungry at around 4 or 5 pm, but the amazing thing is . . . the hunger seems to GO AWAY! I'm still happy to eat at dinnertime, but it's not that shaky, ravenous hunger. Weird.

Also, for the first time I didn't feel sort of horrible riding the exercise bike this morning.

All this is a good thing, because I'm exhausted and stressed, but not about the NoS diet or exercising. Really I have to take that as a good sign that despite feeling pretty dismal I don't feel particularly tempted to skip exercising or eat sweets/snacks. Hooray!

masher

Post by masher » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:30 pm

Well done you!
51 days!
I hope to follow in your footsteps and get to the point where I don't feel too starved at 6.00pm.

Impressive.

Masher

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:46 am

Thanks Masher. It's fun to know that people are actually reading this stuff -- because it feels just like a journal.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:53 am

Day 52: Friday: SUCCESS

breakfast: 1 cup skim milk, then half a bagel w/cream cheese and an orange (faculty meeting)

lunch: turkey&cheese on whole grain bread with grapes

dinner: 2 soft tacos: small flour tortillas w/hamburger, sour cream, salsa and shredded cheese
2 glasses of Rose wine

URBANBIKER: 15 min. exercise bike in am, 15 min. exercise bike in pm

Note: definitely tempted by the Dreaded Cake Lady (new job -- just discovered that there's a Cake Lady faculty member who makes a special cake once a month. Today was a cake shaped like a school bus.) Plus there was candy spread out at all the tables during the meeting. What is it with teachers and sugar? I took home a Tootsie roll and Tootsie pop for my daughter.
Last edited by BigE on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:25 pm

DAY 53: Saturday: S DAY

breakfast: 1 bite of a two-bite chocolate cupcake. Just had to throw away the rest; it didn't feel good.[/color]Then: 2 slices whole grain toast, blueberries, skim milk.

Where to even start? Had 4 or 5 (or 6?) pancakes: blueberry and chocolate chip, no syrup, at around 10:30, which destroyed my chances of being hungry for lunch. Oh, and a CARE package for my daughter arrived from her grandmother -- homemade cookies. I ate 3 or 4 of the oatmeal raisin cookies, which tasted just like the ones my mother used to make. Then, a broccoli pot pie for a late lunch (3 or 4 p.m.?) and then more oatmeal cookies, and some Cheetoh's, and THEN:

at 6:40 URBANBIKER for 50 minutesHere's my URBANBIKER story: So on Monday I went to my new school to work in my classroom. I rode my bike in the late afternoon -- my husband thought it would take me about half and hour to ride to school. There's a nice bike path for most of the way. I hit a slight detour, but still, it took me an HOUR and 10 minutes to ride to my school. I arrived hot and sweaty and red-faced and the first person I saw was my new principal, who I'm sure was convinced I was about to have a heart attack. So I left the bike locked up at school, and didn't get around to riding it home until this evening. My husband gave me a ride to the school and I rode the bike home with my daughter (I have a trailer attached for her.) It took me 50 MINUTES to get to our friend's house (he lives about 6 blocks from our house). As I was heading home, I realized the main problem . . . BOTH MY TIRES WERE FLAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was agony! At least now I know why it was so hard to pedal. Our friend kindly filled my tires with air, and also added oil to my chain which was very dry. He pointed out that Lance Armstrong just rode the last 5 miles of his latest race with a flat tire. I had TWO flat tires, and I'm 20 pounds overweight, but I at least I had my daughter to help me pedal. Now I'm curious to see how long it takes me to ride with air in my freaking tires!!!!! :oops:

then home, glass of rose wine, then another oatmeal cookie, and a handful of Cheeto's. Oh well. It IS an S day after all and my anxiety level is very HIGH. Feeling horribly stressed about my new teaching job -- more accountablity more documentation, more assessments than I ever had to deal with in my last job at my little parochial school. YIKES.

BigE

Post by BigE » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:34 pm

DAY 54: Sunday: S DAY

brunch: 3 pancakes: two blueberry, one chocolate chip
Basically: grazing all day on: Grandma's cookies, Puff Cheetos, 2-bite cupcakes

Dinner: pasta with olive oil, homegrown grape tomatoes (first harvest!), cillantro, crumbled feta cheese

BigE

Post by BigE » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:45 am

Day 55: Monday: SUCCESS

breakfast: one slice whole grain toast, blueberries, skim milk

lunch: small sub sandwich (some sort of Club-type? -- free lunch for new teachers); snack size Sun chips

dinner: 2 leftover soft tacos

URBANBIKER: 15 minutes in am on exercise bike; 15 minutes in pm on exercise bike

BigE

Post by BigE » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:22 am

Day 56: Tuesday: S EVENT
Tuesday was like a "normal" day except that my husband got some potentially exciting news regarding his job and we were celebrating the last day of summer vacation (for both my daughter and me) so we went out to dinner. I had rolls before my meal, and 3 bites of chocolate mousse.
URBANBIKER[/color]: 15 min. am, 15 min. pm (on exercise bike)

Day 57: Wednesday: SUCCESSFirst day of school
b: 1 slice whole grain toast, 1 c skim milk, 2 slices nectarine
l: 1/2 a "tasty turkey" on good grains bagel from Einstein's w/ 1/2 the fruit cup
d: ? know it was one plate

URBANBIKER: 15 min am 15 min pm (exercise bike)
Day 58: Thursday: SUCCESSb: the "usual" but one slice of toast instead of 2
l: same lunch as Wed
d: chicken panang with white rice and 2 spinach cheese wontons

URBANBIKER: 15 min am, 15 min pm (ex. bike)
Day 59: Friday: SUCCESSb: the usual
l: whole grain turkey sammie with garlic herb cheese; nectarine
d: Divine! 2 fried eggs, over easy, and 2 Nutrigrain blueberry waffles (no syrup, but definitely whipped butter -- the real stuff)

URBANBIKER: 15 min am, 25 min pm (ex. bike)

Note: the eating part was not really hard this week; I'm so stressed and busy and tired and it has indeed become a habit to eat 3 squares a day. But okay, it was hard tonight when I was tired and hungry and my daughter was munching on Cheetoh's right next to me. :)

BUT it was tough to keep up the exercise bit. I had so much to do this week, but my plan is working: 15 minutes just doesn't seem like very long. It's hard to justify not having 15 minutes to spare in the morning, or 15 to spare at night. But 15 + 15 equals 30 minutes a day, and that's a whole lot better than the ZERO minutes I was spending on exercise before!

Plus I came up with the idea today of adding a little extra to my exercise time on Friday afternoons, because I'm almost done with the week, and I don't have to do any grading or planning.
Last edited by BigE on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Mimi,
First, SO SORRY to hear about your scary awful experience with the dog! I fortunately have never been attacked by a dog, but I have plenty of other fears and I know what it feels like to feel paralyzed with fear. I think you've made a wise decision to hold off from walking for a while. Also, don't worry about what the man with the dog thought -- he probably just felt worried for you.

Second, I hope you have a great first week of school! My year has already started (with the kids). I'm incredibly stressed but so far so good on the NO S front. I'm going to start a thread for teachers, because I'm curious about teacher issues related to eating habits. There's a lot of them!

Third, I hope the treadmill is going well for you. I've been back on my exercise bike and it really helps to watch tv while I'm riding. I hope you have a TV available; it makes the workout much easier for me. If not, then the ipod is nice too. I have found NO success reading while riding!

LAST, GOOD FOR YOU FOR FINDING AN ALTERNATE EXERCISE PLAN, AND KEEPING UP A CONSISTENT PLAN IN THE MIDST OF GREAT STRESS. This is my biggest challenge right now -- the exercise piece is much harder than the eating.
Yes, the dog incident was pretty horrific and I'm so done with it...seems like every week there's some horrible dog attack story in the news...the latest was the elderly couple in Georgia - so terrible. I'm extremely fortunate and blessed to have come away from it as well as I did.

We have one more work day (ha!) on Monday, then Back-to-School Night from 5-7:00 P.M that evening. School starts the next morning on Tuesday.
The treadmill is going well. I did this for the entire school year last year. I figured that 20 minutes each day didn't seem like much, but after 5 days it adds up. Plus it's more exercise than I was getting. Now, since I'm having so much trouble being able to walk outdoors, it just makes sense to do this. It's not in front of a TV, but I do have an iPod Touch. Usually, I think about lessons and things I'm planning for the day. The time goes by very quickly.

I laughed so hard at your recent bike story! TWO flat tires?! Hilarious! I would be the same way - struggling along, never thinking to check my tires! My husband would have a hay-day with that one!
I'm going to start a thread for teachers, because I'm curious about teacher issues related to eating habits. There's a lot of them!
Teachers or issues?!! :wink: I think it's a great idea!
Talk to ya soon!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

BigE

Post by BigE » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:17 pm

Day 60: Saturday: S DAY
b: 2 slices toast, skim milk, 2 choc chip pancakes
l: veggie pot pie (Amy's)
snacks: chips and salsa, salt &vinegar potato chips
d: grilled steak, big slice of cantaloupe, more chips
dessert: toffee ice cream bar

Day 61: Sunday: S DAYb: same as Sat
l: pb sandwich, Cheetohs
snacks: assortment of candy
d: cheese hot dog

Day 62: Monday SUCCESS
b: the usual
l: turkey & cheese sammie on wheat; nectarine
late afternoon: skim milk
d: chicken and spinach pasta with sauce

URBANBIKER: 15 min am, 15 min pm

Day 63: Tuesday SUCCESS THIRD 21-DAY CYCLE!
b: usual
l: turkey sammie and nectarine
d: Vietnamese food -- bun with egg rolls

URBANBIKER: 15 min. in am BUT NOT IN THE PM :oops:

BigE

Post by BigE » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Day 64 (Wed) through Day 69 (Mon. 8-31) all green or yellow days with diet, but 2 red days with Urbanbiker (however, both days that were red I got in one instead of two 15 min. workouts).

Monthly weigh-in: 143.5 -- Down 2 pounds from last month! Yes! Small changes DO lead to results! This was the month I added 15 min. exercise in am and pm, on N days.