Arismum's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Arismum

Arismum's daily check in

Post by Arismum » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:17 pm

I've actually been nosing for about 6 weeks now and have lost about 4 kilos, thanks mainly to glass ceiling I think, but it's surprising how many times I accept a biscuit or sweet without even thinking about it. No S has highlighted that and I'm now aware and on the case.

I also found out about couch25k here and thought it would be a good idea to alternate this with shovelglove. Since it's hideously hot here in Spain at the moment, I'm struggling with the exercise portion so I've decided that a daily check in might spur me on. Accountability and all that.

Last week was week 1 of c25k which I completed successfully (much to my surprise) this week however, has been a bust. I've been going to a local gym but real life reared its ugly head this week and I only managed one run. So, starting Monday back to week 2 day 1. Wish me luck.

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:53 pm

Good for you, Arismum! Hang in there with the C25k. I got up to week 3 or 4 before quitting last summer, and now I so wish I had continued! Don't make that mistake! :)

I envy you--being in Spain sounds so wonderful!
Natural Eater

Arismum

Post by Arismum » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi Butter, thanks for dropping by.

Doing OK so far today, but we're out to visit a neighbour tonight for a meal and I know that the wine is going to be a minefield. Last week I blew it at a BBQ and felt awful all day on Monday which started the downward slide on the exercise because it was supposed to be wk2d1 of c25k. Can't run with a hangover, hell, can't walk with one.

I'm going to take a bottle of fizzy water with me tonight and try to control the drinking to 3 glasses of wine max, alternating with chilled water. Gotta limit those reds on the habitcal.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:02 am

Just dropping in to say "hi!"

Taking note of old bad habits is the first step. Live and learn. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Arismum

Post by Arismum » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi R thanks for visiting.

I've been a good girl! Taking the water along with me was a good idea. I've been off the wine for 6 weeks now (apart from last Sunday's disaster) and after 2 glasses (they were huge) I knew I'd had enough, and switched to water for the rest of the evening. That's certainly a new event for me.

The meal was lovely, an Italian starter followed by a German main course and finally a rich chocholate mousse thing with icecream. Yum.

Today has started well (no hangover) yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, egg mayo sandwich for lunch and homemade pizza planned for this evening.

Tomorrow is a repeat of wk2d1 of c25k. I'm determined. Let's hope that missing out on 2 workouts last week won't have caused too many problems.

Arismum

Post by Arismum » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Monday - success!

No S - green
Exercise - green: wk2d1 of couch25k
Glass Ceiling - green

Gotta paella party tuesday night, fingers crossed.

Arismum

Post by Arismum » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:05 am

Tuesday:
No S - Green
Exercise: Shovelglove - Green
Glass Ceiling - Green

Wednesday:
No S - Green
Exercise: w2d2c25k - Green
Glass Ceiling - Green

Thursday:
No S - Green
Exercise: Nada - Red :oops:
Glass Ceiling - Green

Friday
No S - Green
Exercise: w2d3c25k - Green
Glass Ceiling - Green

Not too bad I think. We're off to friends for a meal tonight, let's see how the self control holds up.

Next week is week 3 of couch to 5k where the runs increase from 90 second intervals to 3 minutes. Not sure how that's gonna pan out, but I'm determined.

Have a good weekend everyone.

burnnotice

One foot in front of the other

Post by burnnotice » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi Arismum!

Hang in there with C25K. It is a great program that will have you feeling like a true runner in no time! What, six more weeks and you will have strung all of this training into running 30 minutes altogether!

:D

Burnnotice ( former C25K grad)
Me
The Client

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Another C25K "grad" to cheer you on! Hang in there!

(Though I don't think I actually make 5K in my 30 minutes of running...I'm a bit slow. However, the fact that I CAN run 30 minutes without stopping still amazes me!)

One day at a time... just do it!

Arismum

Post by Arismum » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:24 am

Oh it's all gone horribly wrong! C25k: completely crashed and burned, glass ceiling: disaster, NoS: not too bad.

What happened? The gym has become too difficult to fit in. I can't really afford to drive down the mountain every other day just to go to the gym, and it's too hilly here to try and run (for me anyway at this stage). So I've decided that until our finances improve I'm just going to have to stick with walking the dog. I think that if I make it at least 45 mins a day at a brisk pace my fitness will improve, especially if I add some shovelglove moves in there.

As far as glass ceiling is concerned, we've had visitors over with much going out for tapas and meals. I've been able to keep the diet under control with virtual plating, but the maximum drinks limit went straight out the window. Idiot!

So here we are again, a new month. At my weigh in yesterday I recorded a loss of half a kilo over the last month, so not all is lost, and I've lost half an inch off both my waist and hips. Still nothing off the boobs yet GAH!

Thanks to KCCC and burnnotice for your comments and encouragement, I'll try to be here a bit more often this month.