Poobail's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

poobail

Poobail's Daily Check In

Post by poobail » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:43 am

Hi everybody, I am joining the ranks after my sister started a few months ago, BigE. I asked a friend at work to start with me and we did, on Sep 8th. I am doing weigh ins on Mondays, and so as of today I lost 2.5 lbs! :D 174 to 171.5

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a year ago. After a year of just taking pills and living in denial over eating sugar, I am taking charge by starting this diet. To maintain my blood sugar levels, I modified the day ~just a smidge~ by having 1 ounce of cheddar cheese at 3:00 pm. It's certainly a far healthier choice than the candy I've been eating for months! So far, so good. The biggest thing I've found is that I'm not feeling that hungry, so I haven't been overeating.

We'll see how the weeks and months progress.... :)

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:34 pm

Welcome to our ranks! I'm a newbie, too. I haven't started a daily check-in yet, but enjoy reading everyone else's.

Kathy

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:39 pm

Welcome to you both!

I encourage everyone newbie around here to read the book. It's a great read...full of essential information...and it's just plain encouraging to pick it up on days when ya just want to consider quitting.

Pooball...I think the cheese in the afternoon is a great idea. You've chosen what works for your body and it's a very definable amount.

Welcome again,
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

poobail

checking in

Post by poobail » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Yay for me! All green days this week so far! Monday was not too tough, Tuesday was harder and yesterday was the toughest yet. Today, here we are, just a half hour to lunch and no hunger pangs yet. Yesterday the cheese mid afternoon wasn't enough, but I drank more water and made it home to dinner. No snacking! yippee! Looking foward to the weekend and a sweet, altho last weekend I had a Hershey bar and surprisingly it wasn't that tasty. :shock:

poobail

a week of green!

Post by poobail » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:01 pm

Yay for me, I made a whole week of green days 09/14-09/18, and only had a frosty on Sat 09/19, otherwise had no snacks, etc. I did have some medical tests done on Mon 09/21 that required a liquid diet on Sun 09/20, so I'm counting all three days as yellow. I weighed in this morning at 170.5, so down another pound, altho it may not be *real* due to the emptiness of my system. Next week's weigh in will be the real tell. I am picking up the book from the library after work so will glean more good nuggets from it, I'm sure.

Also, after reading a lot of the boards last week I learned I should be eating a bigger lunch if I can't make it to dinner without a snack. Friday I did just that, and wow, I made it to dinner just fine. It was weird eating more, but it worked. Am trying that again today...

poobail

[color=red]RED[/color] days

Post by poobail » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:48 am

Ugh, so, not so easy any more. Throw in a few emotional days, :cry: and whammo, off track! I was discouraged so didn't post, but am here now to be accountable. :x So frustrating...but I got the book from the library earlier this week and am reading its wisdom. I was concious of my choices, but that's not too different from my daily life pre no-s diet. So, here's how I did:

Sunday Sep 20th liquid diet and other nasty things in prep for medical tests, don't know how to categorize this day...since I didn't choose any food. :?
Monday Sep 21st had medical tests so S day, but only ate two meals
Tuesday Sep 22nd started off well with cereal and cheese for breakfast, had homemade beaf/bean burrito, bell pepper and chips for lunch, grabbed 2 brownies at work, (free and chocolate, very hard to resist!) dinner was hot dog w/wheat bun, then broke down and made brownies and had 3. However, I did wrap them up and put them into the freezer with the intention of having them this weekend...still haven't touched them! :D Also, dialogue in my head said, mark it and move on, and I did, but then kept sliding all week... :(
Wed Sep 23rd emotional anniversary, started off fine, breakfast, went out to lunch had big burger and fries, but all on one plate...ate hot dog, chips and nectarine for dinner, then headed back to the kitchen for graham crackers and choc and peanut butter chips.
Thurs, Sep 24th cereal in morning, lunch was microwave pizza, red bell pepper, nectarine and a few bites of a friend's chips with queso, broke down and had my leftover sun chips for a snack, felt guilty, dinner was hot dog, chips, graham crackers then a Mike's hard lemonade.
Friday, Sep 25th cereal, lunch was pb sandwich, chips, bell pepper with dip, nectarine, felt very full and lasted until the dreaded 3:00 when I got some of the good Panera sourdough bread leftovers from a group lunch. I felt weird all day, stomach ache, nauseated, and headachey, so wanted something that would settle my tummy. So far, tonight only ate more of that bread. Will save those brownies for tomorrow.... :)

So, now I'm looking forward to the weekend of S days and I guess have to decide that Monday starts another week, right? ugh...

poobail

weekly update

Post by poobail » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:44 pm

weigh in: down 6 lbs since starting :D

I'm doing well, you are all correct, the first month was the hardest. I started a gluten free diet per doctor's orders last week, and I think that is adding to my weight loss.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:21 am

Congrats on your loss!
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs