grammy g begins!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Grammy G

grammy g begins!

Post by Grammy G » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:20 am

who starts an eating plan on a weekend..especially a plan that has free S days!
actually i have been reading (and commenting) on posts on the site for awhile and just got the book a day or two ago and have been "playing" with the system for the last three days. so now i am ready to jump in with both feet! I went crazy last sunday..eating because I could and then felt lousy..a typical thing for me. but..when i read R's take on overeating...a lightbulb moment!
I've really been meditating about emotional eating and I may be close to figuring it out for me. that has always been my downfall.
I have had two green eating days with not too much trouble. i am looking forward to breakfast at the farmers' market tomorrow morning. I think i can do this!! :o I am counting my "true" beginning as Monday morning when I will throw exercise into the mix. Good luck to me!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:34 am

You'll be surprised at how well this works. Weight loss is usually pretty slow, but if you keep the habits, it's steady and permanent.

Yes, you CAN do it and you'll find as you go on you'll LIKE it. This diet really is a food-lover's dream, because it encourages you to savor and enjoy your food.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:50 pm

thanks for the support, Noel! I have been reading a lot of your blogs..things to think about..things to laugh about..and helpful information...plus..I LOVE the presentation of the foods. It has always been important to me to "make a pretty plate" and I appreciate when others do that for me. I will remember that that is something I must continue..even as i shovel large amounts on my plate! I was thinking about foods this morning and remembering that an orange soda was something I treasured sharing with my Grandmother on a Saturday night when she babysat! no chips..no dip Just a half bottle of soda! For dinners, my mom planned one chop..one slice of meatloaf..one scoop of potatoes..an afterschool was a glass of milk and a cookie or two. What happened??? I think TV ads were the thing that changed that line of thought for us. I am ready to return to that sensible way of eating!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:44 am

Sunday came and went..an S day.. so enjoy! right??? :? Tomorrow is my serious..keep track of this and that day....I don't think it is going to be that hard. Am I missing something???

kwonset

Post by kwonset » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:14 am

Grammy G,

I found N days to be easy to adjust to, as once I gave up the evening wine, the urge to snack went with it. I have made sure that when I am hungry, I have a regular meal. I no longer count calories or steer clear of any foods, but don't over eat either. I guess not having cravings for sweets has made it easier.

Karen
"If you don''t like how things are, change it! You are not a tree!" Jim Rohn

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Congratulations on starting. Sticking to it is easy--the hard part is the patience. Remember, though, this is a plan that allows you to eat without embarrassment, without driving everyone around you crazy, and you never have to kiss any food goobye for longer than 5 days! That sounds like a great deal to me, even if it means it takes a little longer to lose that fat.
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi there, I'm a newbie, too. This is actually my first full week.

Best wishes :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:23 am

Thank you to Kwonset, Sporfancier, and dandelion for your support! I made it through this day and am looking forward to tomorrow...because I can eat again at breakfast!! Eating breakfast is going to be a new thing for me. I am used to night time eating and then not being hungry in the AM. I am prepared with steel-cut oatmeal, nuts and dried fruit to add to it, amish-made yogurt and I even bought a pound of my fav. coffee-house coffee to grind and use. I am going to treat myself well at meal time! It is nice to see a newbie as well as those of you who have been her for awhile willing to post and offer support. I am wishing you all good luck too! More tomorrow..

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Sounds good - I'm all in favour of treating ourselves at mealtime :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 am

oh dear :( ..so i went out for lunch with friends and ended up with only a small serving of fish and a very small serving of perogie ( a kind of potato dumpling). No veggies..no fruit...no food until dinner! then I really overate at dinner and so am stuffed to the gills! I'm not sure how to correct that problem. If that's all the food that is served to you..what is the solution??? I don't feel like this was a very successful day even though i stuck to the plan. :? Any ideas out there??

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:57 am

It WAS a successful day because you stuck to the plan. Don't complicate it or go for more perfect.

For myself, I do tend to "eat what's sot before me" and not worry about it. If it means a big meal later, who cares? In the grand scheme of things it probably evens out.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 am

Noel..you are so wise!! I just have to reprogram my thoughts about food and that is what this 21 days of posting is all about, isn't it??
I am now beginning Thursday with a mind that is starting to see food in a different light! My treats yesterday were coffee from Kenya and a glass of my fav. wine with a dinner of leftovers :D today is a social day..lunch with one group of friends and dinner with another. I think this will be good because I will not have to deal with food at home at all and can just eat a plate of food and be done with it! :lol: :lol: ...I hope!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:05 pm

:D Looks like a good first week so far. Today should be (ahum) apiece of cake!! Which I will, naturally, save for tomorrow!
Going to yoga class this morning and will walk to the grocery store to pick up some salmon for dinner (it is only 1/2 mile away...why do i always drive???).
Grandkids from ages 20 down to 3 will be here this weekend so I will get to live up to my name! i love it! :lol: I will be offline until Tuesday, i think. I have set up my own tracking system in an ancient teachers' gradebook that has a gazillion tiny squares on each page and the days of the week at the top of the page..with each week marked as ..week one..weektwo...all the way to nine. Perfect! S days are not there but I made my own little area for them alone. I needed to find a way to track myself on paper over long periods because one of the joys of being retired is being able to pick up and travel and we do. I don't carry a computer and don't even keep my cell phone on...We like to get wrapped up in where we are at the moment. looking forward to a trip to the shore to walk the beaches and one to the NE mountains to view the autumn wonderland. Enjoy!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

first week a success!!

Post by Grammy G » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 pm

:) Here I am on my second Tuesday of noS! A weekend of birthday cake and wurst! A Monday of leftover wurst and pork and kruat (sent the leftover cake away) and still lost 2 pounds!! :D Woke up this morning w/sore throat. Guess a cold will be my added challenge for awhile! I've lined up my herbal teas and sliced a lemon and have mr. honey bear setting next to a tea cup. I can do this too! :D :D
Peace Pilgrim

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:39 am

Sorry about your cold, Grammy, but good to see that your enthusiasm continues undiminished! :)

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:05 pm

I did it!! :) I didn't use my sore throat as an excuse to graze on goodies the entire day! I didn't reward myself for not grazing all day with a big plate of cookies in the evening!! :) :) I didn't reward yesterday's success by having a sweet roll for breakfast!! :) :) :) I just plain DID IT!!! :D :D :D :D and
...will do it again today!
Peace Pilgrim

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Yay!!!!!
Go Grammy!!!!! :wink:
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:58 pm

A thank you to Debs for checking my progress! Please continue. I went back to the beginning of this and read everything I wrote and all the comments..all very helpful. I find myself wanting to put rules to S days. I know I shouldn't worry about S days until I have the N days down pat...but..it is hard. Why???Something else for me to work on, I guess.
Wednesday was a good day :D I have a head cold which means I want food that is spicy/salty/strong flavored... and I don't feel like cooking. My first thought for dinner (and it would have been one plate!) was a plate of McD.'s fries..covered with a sharp cheese sauce and taco sauce. I almost sent the husband to McDs when I remembered I had a $10 credit at a pizza place (they were over an hour late with a delivery) so I got out their menu..thinking PIzza! spicy..salty..yum. But I noticed they had a great menu besides pizza and a hot soup sounded equally good. So we had a lovely red lentil soup topped with olive oil and home made croutons and a fish sandwich on a homemade rosemary/olive oil bread. Lunch today will be left over fish sandwich!! This shop is now my new go-to place when I want to order meals to be delivered. Tomorrow is Friday already..I can't believe the week zoomed by so quickly and an S day is there for me once again! Sweet !!!:lol: (in more ways than one!!)
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:44 pm

FRIDAY :D :D wonderful Friday!!! i will not be checking in until Tuesday. This cold..cough is a bummer but I managed not to eat anything extra yesterday and used my gocery shopping as my 15 min. of exercise. I'm going to be aware of the "success breeds failure" syndrome that has been my downfall before. I am NOT going to get smug about this eating plan and think I can "tweek" it here and there which is really cheating in mt book (for now anyhow) ..I must just do Vanilla S!!!
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:47 am

OMG it is WEDNESDAY!! This week is whipping by. I can see that I am not having as much of a problem with food as I am with exercise. I am charting myself at 15 minutes which is nothing, but I want it to be 15 minutes of serious workout...I think I will have to worry about that next week and be happy I am actually doing something active every day for at least 15 minutes, I have found that once I get into a walk or yoga, I often think', "Why not keep going..this feels good!" and i continue with the activity.
Hubby is now almost finished reading the book and is actively involved with the plan! This makes things a lot easier. I can just make up two plates and put all left overs away before we have "second" thoughts!
I treated myself..not to food..but to some beautiful jewelry. I don't buy myself jewelry, usually wear gold or silver hoops in my ears and that's it. Today, I decided I deserved special treatment just because I am trying to be the best ME I can possibly be. So now i am the proud owner (and wearer) of 4 sets of woo woo earrings and two bling-bling necklaces. We went out for dinner tonight (one plate--one glass of wine) and i was wearing my new finery. Yep, Hubby noticed and yep he complimented me. (He is like that..compliments me..my cooking..housekeeping..I got a gem!!) The lesson I think I am learning is that I am important enough to treat well..with healthy food..with things other than food..with exercise..with plain and simple,putting myself first. If I can keep the focus there, I think I will be OK!
Peace Pilgrim

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:00 am

Good for you, Grammy, for doing something nice for yourself! I've always found the carrot more motivating than the stick.

Sounds like you're doing well! Good job for getting your husband involved!

buttercream
Natural Eater

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 am

Good for you! I ended up buying some clothes today. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel enough better that I feel like something new :)

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:02 pm

I've also found that little *non-food* rewards along the way can be very helpful. They do help to reinforce the ideas that *I am worth it* and *I CAN be the best possible me,* and *I deserve to treat myself well.*
Good for you Grammy G! Keep up your great work!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:44 am

[quote="buttercreampillow I've always found the carrot more motivating than the stick.
Well, buttercreampillow..I think I'd like to change that "carrot" to "carat"! What do you think??
Today was a very loooong day for some reason. I guess to make up for those days that I thought went so quickly! i did stick to three meals and got a good long walk in, so I guess, all is well.
I think my toes and fingers are getting skinny! how lucky..my rings and shoes will fall off and my jeans will still be tight!!
I didn't measure the circumference of my toes and fingers (who knew!!) so i can't be scientific about this..how silly is this??
:roll: :lol: :roll: tomorrow will be the last Nday of my 21 days..It seems impossible! I will do some measuring and weighing in a day or two and then ..on to the next block of 21 days, I guess.
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

I decided to get on the scale this morning to see where I am on this last Nday of my first 21.. I touch my toe to the scale to turn it on and "L0" flashes at me!! What "L0"?? I figured it didn't mean my toe weight was "L0" ...must be the batteries!! And so ends my weigh-in!! (Maybe just the universe reminding me that the number on the scale means nothing..it is what it is..I weigh what I weigh)
three meals..yoga..lots of laughs with friends..a good day by any standards!!
ahhhh..yes, I could have changed the batteries but, this surprised me(!),in the end the numbers just weren't that important to me...yeah!!!
Peace Pilgrim

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:53 am

I tried to weigh myself this am and the scale said 'Batt' . LOL. Guess the universe sent us both a message :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:01 pm

I am at the end of my first 21 days. Hubby put new batteries in the scale and I have lost a little over 4 pounds. While this is very nice, it is about where I can get my weight down to before I go crazy and eat my way back up four or more pounds! So,to me, this next 21 days will be the true test of my learning anything. I am going to take myself off the daily check in and work on my personal journal and charting for the next 21 days. I think I may come back with a new "name" to go along with my new thinking about myself after that. I love being a Grammy but there is a lot more to me than that! I am going to reread the book this weekend and begin afresh and refreshed!! Thanks for all the support!
Peace Pilgrim

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Four pounds in three weeks is pretty damn good. Have the husband take the batteries back out and hide them. That way, you'll have to wait another 21 days to see what another three week brings! Seriously though, congratulations on more than a pound per week. Nice!
Grammy G wrote:I am at the end of my first 21 days. Hubby put new batteries in the scale and I have lost a little over 4 pounds. While this is very nice, it is about where I can get my weight down to before I go crazy and eat my way back up four or more pounds! So,to me, this next 21 days will be the true test of my learning anything. I am going to take myself off the daily check in and work on my personal journal and charting for the next 21 days. I think I may come back with a new "name" to go along with my new thinking about myself after that. I love being a Grammy but there is a lot more to me than that! I am going to reread the book this weekend and begin afresh and refreshed!! Thanks for all the support!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:42 am

Thanks Kevin! I AMhappy about the loss..even if it is only in my fingers and toes!
:lol:
Peace Pilgrim

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:48 am

Congratulations on the loss!!
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:10 am

WooHooo!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:03 am

Thanks to everyone for the support here and for sharing your stories and thoughts in all the discussions. I have learned so much and realized I am not alone in my struggles with foods! I want Dandelionto know I made the Zuppa Toscana for dinner tonight and what a hit!! It is not only delicious, it is easy to make. I'm going to make another batch, minus the cream, and freeze it. I also got a beautiful cabbage for $1.00 and am going to make the potato cabbage soup next week. i will be lurking but not posting progress until the end of this, my second "21". good luck to me!! good luck to you!!
Peace Pilgrim

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:49 am

Glad to hear it. I made a double batch Saturday and did the same thing - froze it before the cream and kale went it. I got the kale from my garden and didn't have a whole lot anyway.

Glad you're doing so well.

Grammy G

checking in not checking out!

Post by Grammy G » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:11 am

Well, it has been several weeks since I last wrote here. My first "21" went so well that I think I got smug :? and the second "21" found me gaining back 3 of the pounds I had lost!! I was not a happy noSer :cry: !!! I still am not sure what my problem was..I was doing more exercise..I was sticking to 3 plates of food... I think we ate more meals out and I don't salt food much at all so, as someone pointed out, restaurant food is full of stuff we wouldn't think of using.
I am back to god ol' home cooking for the most part and keeping the exercise going. I am using Clara's example and using housework as a form of exercise. Raking leaves has been a week long project that is still not finished (ugh!)..it is nice to be outdoors and active though. I have been doing my best to make foods as unprocessed as possible. Seems like a healthy life style to me! Just hope it translates into some pounds disappearing form places other than my fingers and toes!
Peace Pilgrim

Kevin

Re: checking in not checking out!

Post by Kevin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:19 pm

It's difficult to lose weight if you are eating out, unless you severely limit your portions. Fat, sugar, and salt to help you retain water. Nice things those restaurants do for you.
Grammy G wrote:Well, it has been several weeks since I last wrote here. My first "21" went so well that I think I got smug :? and the second "21" found me gaining back 3 of the pounds I had lost!! I was not a happy noSer :cry: !!! I still am not sure what my problem was..I was doing more exercise..I was sticking to 3 plates of food... I think we ate more meals out and I don't salt food much at all so, as someone pointed out, restaurant food is full of stuff we wouldn't think of using.
I am back to god ol' home cooking for the most part and keeping the exercise going. I am using Clara's example and using housework as a form of exercise. Raking leaves has been a week long project that is still not finished (ugh!)..it is nice to be outdoors and active though. I have been doing my best to make foods as unprocessed as possible. Seems like a healthy life style to me! Just hope it translates into some pounds disappearing form places other than my fingers and toes!
Kevin

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:12 am

You are soooo right,Kevin! Even if you do portion control while dining out, who is to say what is in those sauces and toppings? Then too...I usually have a digestive "distress" of some nature after eating at the popular chain restaurants. I can't eat their lettuce..avoid their many fried items..and just saw how unhealthy a turkey burger can be!! :cry: Guess I will put that apron back on and save our health as well as our $$!
I will say we do have some local eateries that have great food..not highly seasoned and simple presentations using local foods when possible. But, we both know nothin' beats home cookin'!
I seem to be back on track...finally got all the leaves into the compost area so that will no longer be my exercise-of-choice. Maybe we will actually be able to enjoy the nice weather and go for a bike ride on one of the local rails-to-trails tomorrow. :) Thanks for checking in!
Peace Pilgrim

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:45 pm

OK, I'm now following your suggestion to return to having S Days on the weekend. I'm heavier and wiser!
Kathleen

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 am

Weeellllll.. I did my measurements today..I've decided to measure once a month..and, once again, measurements seem to be the same! Last month I thought I had skinnier fingers and toes. This month, I think my neck and nose are thinner! Have I chosen the wrong parts of me to measure?? I am not discouraged because I know this is the healthy way to go! :)
.. and I am enjoying my new slim toes, fingers, neck and nose! :lol:
Peace Pilgrim

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:06 pm

I'll be very glad to have slimmer fingers!

Glad you aren't discouraged. I didn't lose anything for the last two weeks. Now I'm losing again and even more glad I stuck to it.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:52 pm

So.. we were up and about very early this morning (5:30 am) because we had tings we had to do. I had a cup of coffee and 1/2 a banana before we jumped in the car and took off. I was thinking that I would have a donut mid morning since this is an S day..in fact, I was looking forward to doing that! When we stopped and got my cofffee and donut...yech..much too sweet!! I ate 1/4th of it and that was that. Came home and had a regular lunch and one little malted milke hocolate ball. Not very good either! What am I looking forward to now?? Food?? Treats?? Nope...I'm going to give myself the rest of the day off and read by the fire..maybe nap a bit...and we will have a "left-overs buffet" ( someone out there wrote about doing this) for dinner and that will be my treat for the day!! Lucky, lucky me :D
Peace Pilgrim

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Left over buffet - Interesting name. We do this on Wednesday - but I always call it 'Whatever Wednesday' :)

Grammy G

third 21 done!!

Post by Grammy G » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:56 am

:D i just completed my third 21 and...drum roll, please!!...am happy with the results! I have only lost a total of about 5 pounds but have gained so much insight into my eating!!
I see that my overeating was really a head-game and had little to do with hunger or even foods I liked...I ate anything...any time.. and food was always on my mind. Now, I don't have to think about food all that much. That stress is gone!!!
I bought a timer and use a 15 minute time for yoga and weights and cardio. Who can't find 15 min. here or there throughout the day for a little exercise? Because I am fitting that in, I find myself thinking,"You know, I do have time to take a short walk." or "I can do a little lifting while I wait for those clothes to finish spinning in the washer."
The 21 days seems like the perfect time frame for me to re-evaluate. For some reason, once a month doesn't work for me.
I am not going to change anything that I am doing right now for the next 21 because of the holidays coming up and the fact that iIam leaving the cold north for the sunny south in a few days and that will be a big adjustment for me. In the past, I have viewed winter in the south as one loooong vacation with tangerine margaritas or salty dogs ..both made with fruit from our trees..makng an appearance at 5PM every evening...with appropriate snacks, of course! That has got to stop :cry: except for S days..and then only two..I know, I know!! :oops: So..please wish me luck..I probably won't be posting again until spring...I will just be lurking whenever I can get a connection. Good luck to all!! 8)
Peace Pilgrim

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:34 am

Have a lovely time in the sunshine!

You have 64 days of habits under your belt now -- you can keep it up even in different circumstances!! :D
5'9 -- Laura --

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:40 pm

thanx for the encouragement, Frugal! I do need to look at this in terms of days I have put into this project and the success rate I have had.
Today, I met a neighbor I hadn't seen since July and she said she could tell I had lost weight and thought I really looked good! :D I gave her a big hug right there in the store!! Maybe I have lost weight in places other than my fingers and toes after all!! :lol:
..That's just what I needed to keep me on track as the holiday cooking and eating approaches!
Peace Pilgrim

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Excellent, excellent excellent.

See if you can use that home-grown fresh fruit to make something you can eat with lunch and dinner...
Kevin

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Ooh Kevin! I'm sure I could find a way to incorporate fresh grapefruit and tangarines into meals..especially ones featuring the fresh shrimp and other seafood we pick up at the farmers' market! ..and that is what I will do ! (It just took me awhile to get over that I wasn't going to be making margaritas on week days) :cry: Thanks for reminding me how I can use that fruit during the week.
I have the Thanksgiving turkey in the oven right now. We picked it up at the farm where they were harvested this morning. I will be dealing with turkey until about 10pm but it is one (three really..turkey, stuffing, and gravy) thing less to do on Thursday. I usually do this and slice the turkey and freeze it and then just heat it w/ a little gravy on the big day. Gives me more time to enjoy the day.
Kevin, you always seem to have such good advice for everyone. I hope you stop by again! :D
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:49 am

This is not good! :cry: I made from scratch "sausage and apple " bread stuffing...just took the turkey out of the oven..just ate a big bowl of that once-a -year treat..at 8:45pm...what was I thinking??? Besides being a forbidden snack..I am going to be up feeling like a stuffed pig(or turkey) at least until midnight!! Well...I didn't put gravy on it! I carved the whole turkey and didn't eat any! ('cause I was full of stuffing!!) #%$ guess I should just "mark it and move on", right?? Darm :cry: :cry: :cry:
I wrote the above on Tuesday evening and it is now Wednesday AM and I am still trying to understand why I had to eat that stuffing!! it had nothing or little to do with the food..all in my head!! When i was a child, all I ate was that stuffing for Thanksgiving! It is something that i made with my Grandmother and then my mom and then my kids as the responsibility for family gatherings moved from generations to generation. Now, the extended family has scattered and our celebrations are no longer the "30 for dinner they used to be"...I think I was "eating my emotions" ..one of my major problems! :cry: I guess understanding what happened there is half the battle! ..and, at least i saved most of it for tomorrow!! :wink:
Peace Pilgrim

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Yes, understanding why you slipped is half the battle. Marking it and moving on ... today is now "legal" to eat it!

Friday is a new day, and you can make that green!
5'9 -- Laura --

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 am

I have decided I"m going to have to start making stuffing at other times of the year. It was the only part of dinner that I wanted more of. I realise it's because everything else I have more than once a year.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:03 pm

You are correct, Dande, we need to make stuffing at other times of the year! Dah! Some things are such easy solutions that I just don't think of them and look for something complicated and hard to stick to doing. I guess i could say the same for 'tweeking" no S! Keeping it vanilla is the best thing that I can do for myself!
So..I am off to Florida in a few days and have sooo very much to do, as you can imagine. i will be lurnking for the rest of the week, but this is my last entry until spring :cry:
I have learned so much about myself and my eating from all of you and appreciate those who took the time to comment and give me encouragement.
i was amazed when I stepped on the scale this morning..i hadn't gained a thing and we used Friday as an S day ti celebrate a son's birthday. So..four S days in a row and I did fine. I feel like i can "trust" myself to make good choices without having to count every bite I take. I enjoyed the days..enjoyed the food..didn't feel deprived (because I wasn't!)...and will say it was one of the best holidays for feeling good about myself when i look back on it. :)
Good luck to all of you and i hope you are all still posting when i return to this site! :wink:
Peace Pilgrim

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Have a wonderful time in the sun, Grammy! Before you go, I want you to know that I really appreciate the optimism and positive energy in your posts, even though I don't ususally comment on that. I'll welcome you back in the spring!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 am

I am still here and still noS-ing! I have been mostly lurking and enjoying all your successes! i too have been successful..only gaining one pound over a holiday of 12 days of not keeping track of anything because the family was visiting sunnyland from the frozen north!
We are blessed with farmers' markets that even sell fresh seafood and have a number of little restaurants that have wonderful ethnic foods close by. For some reason (have I come to my senses??), desserts and snacks are not luring me in! :) We have started having a glass of wine and (can you believe this!!)chatting, instead of mixed drinks ,nibbles and watching the news, before dinner and clearing the dinner mess away quickly and moving on to other activities..or no activities..in the evening.
This life, I'm concluding, is ALL the dessert I need! I am reaping the rewards of growing old and lovin' it!
Yep, I am slowly losing weight :D and my obsession with all things food is almost gone. Hubby and I were talking at dinner about how, before noS, we would have automatically filled our plates with a second helping of everything, not because we were hungry..just because it was there. Instead, we have leftovers for another entire meal!
I do keep chocolates in a candy dish and cookies in the cookie jar but neither of us really bother with them..even on weekends.
So..no S friends...I am not going to get overconfident or think that I will not face tough food times..but, for right now...I"M DOIN' FINE, THANK YOU! :D :D :D
Peace Pilgrim

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 am

I like the sound of this :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Just looked back at the beginning of my blog and it has been SIX months!! wow!! Noel was the first person to welcome me and I just recently had the pleasure of welcoming HER back..and she , once again, had a great reply to one of my posts! I do feel like I have made some friends here!
I have not been posting much since I have been in what I call "sunnyland"..although I don't know why I've called it that..it rains almost daily and I've been wearing jeans and sweatshirts since I got here...and I will only be here one more month!! :cry:
So..I have lost about a pound a month..pretty painlessly...and I have learned a lot about my relationship with food.
I am going to try to add to this daily and add some of my dinner menus...and maybe I will work into adding breakfast and lunch by the time I am back north..or maybe I will not bother with daily postings...I'll see how it goes..

dinner tonight: oven meal: flounder baked with a little tangarine juice (from our tree)//sweet potato wedges (fresh from the farmers' market!) seasoned with a little oil and "south west seaoning"//asparagus (fresh) seasoned with oil and pepper. Everything went into a 400 degree over..potatoes for 30 min./asparagus for 10 min/fish for 7 min. e-a-s-y!! A nice chilled white wine was a nice compliment. ..and better yet...hubby did the dishes!! :lol:
Peace Pilgrim