Mo's Lifestyle Update

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MerryKat

Mo's Lifestyle Update

Post by MerryKat » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy – why do I make this so difficult for myself?

(Previous check-in - http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1916)

I lost beautifully for the first few months of this year (March was a blip, but I recovered) and then we went on holiday in July and did nothing but eat while away. Since being back I have done pretty well, but the red days are mounting again and I seem to find any excuse to munch. Once I start I do not seem to be able to stop! A couple of bouts of sickness have not helped.

So once again today I am pulling myself towards myself and back to basics:
Monday to Friday – 100% No S
Saturday & Sunday – a treat or two – not a binge feast!!!

I realized that I have been following No S (to varying degrees) for 4 years now and when I follow it – guess what??? I lose, but I keep deviating off on my own and return to snacking.

On the whole this year I have been happy with my No S and the losses have followed, however any excuse swings me out of control. After 4 years, I know how this works, so here’s to following No S every single day.

My biggest downfall is Friday feels like weekend to me so I start the weekend after Friday lunch and it is supposed to stop on Sunday at lunch time. However, Friday afternoon is a binge time and I never stop at lunch on Sunday, so I am going back to the days as set in No S.

This is still the only program for me, and I just need to get on and do it!
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin

Re: Mo's Lifestyle Update

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:38 pm

I must agree loudly with you on this. If I start my S days on Friday with dinner, I'm hosed. It was the prime mover for me going off of No-S last time around.

Beware!
MerryKat wrote:Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy – why do I make this so difficult for myself?

My biggest downfall is Friday feels like weekend to me so I start the weekend after Friday lunch and it is supposed to stop on Sunday at lunch time. However, Friday afternoon is a binge time and I never stop at lunch on Sunday, so I am going back to the days as set in No S.

This is still the only program for me, and I just need to get on and do it!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:17 pm

Mo, just stick to it and make a HabitCal to keep honest.
You won't believe when I tell you, but it's true, after doing vanilla NoS for long enough, you *truly* don't enjoy "Bingefests"... (not saying you do now either!!!) and they become less frequent, really!!
Good luck!!!
Hugs,
Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:19 pm

I tried starting at 6PM on Friday and ending at 6PM on Sunday. Didn't work well for me either! Now I just try to plan an extra-nice N-safe meal on Friday, and have a glass of wine with it.

I do think it's cool that those of you who have re-gained have come back here. I can't imagine going back to Weight-Watchers.

Best of luck!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Kevin & Debs & KCCC - Thanks for the kind words. When will I learn (hopefully this time it will stick in the brain) that they only way to make this lifestyle change is to stick to Vanilla No S. You are so right, I do not enjoy the bingefests and I hate how I feel afterwards.

I am looking forward to the changes and the changes in my life and my family's life.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:15 am

Friday I was a 100% N Day!!! this is fantastic after the last few months of scary friday afternoons and evenings.

Saturday was a great S Day - planned treat and no other 'binges' which made the treat even more enjoyable.

Sunday is going well so far and no anticipated problems with binges, just some planned treats.

See you all Monday.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:47 am

I posted a comment to you on your other check-in page. Didn't realize you had this one going.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:44 am

Jammin' Jan wrote:Thanks for posting on my check-in page! You are right: we can do this!

What do you think of 8MM? I used to do it several years ago, but then turned my (fickle) attention elsewhere. Are you doing 48 reps of two movements? Do you get it done in 8 minutes?

His "Cruise Down Plate" works pretty well with No-S, too.

I liked that you posted your morning Bible study as part of your goals. I have become MUCH more regular in my Bible study, too, since No-S came into my life. Moderation and good habits just spilling over into the rest of our lives, right?!

Keep up the good efforts!
Hi Jan

You are most welcome.

I love 8MM even though exercise is not something which I naturally enjoy. For me 8MM is the same as No S, it feels right and fits me and if I stick with it, it really works. After a week I can already start to see and feel the differences.

I did not find the diet he has in 8MM easy to follow and have never tried any of his other ideas.

Yes, I do the 48 reps of 2 exercises and I pretty much manage in 8 min. I do mine in the afternoon as I can only fit so much into a morning and my day works better if I start with my bible study.

Ouch, I realised how much my muscle level had dropped when I did week one, day 6 (inner and outer thighs) - I battled to complete them and the next day I was seriously sore (good muscle worked sore).

You are so right about the moderation and good habits. I also find that if I let one portion of my good habits slip, they all follow suit.

I am loving the routine becoming established in my life again. Now I just need to start getting to bed earlier so that getting up in the morning is easier.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:24 pm

I wasn't thinking so much of his diet, which is the typical lo-cal diet, but I like the plate, 1/2 veggies, 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein. I like the balance in it. But it doesn't always work well in individual meals. Nice in theory, though.

Have a great Monday, and a wonderful No-S week!
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:28 pm

What, pray tell, is 8MM?

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:13 am

guadopt1997 wrote:What, pray tell, is 8MM?
I *think* they're talking about a program called "Eight Minutes in the Morning" by Jorge ??? (can't remember his last name.) It's a strength training program.
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:41 am

Jan - sorry missed your point completely - yes his balanced plate idea works well.

guadopt1997 & Frugaltexan - Yip, 8MM is a plan called 8 Minutes in the Morning by Jorge Cruise. Basically four sets of two strength exercises - they are basic things like squats, bicep curls, sit ups, etc. It is a four week plan and I have found in the past that these really help me tone the body and build muscle. Much like Shovelglove by Reinhard, it is short and sweet but effective - you cannot use the excuse of no time when you only need 8 minutes, so it works for me because I actually do it.

I have really sore sides from doing push ups yesterday. I have gotten so out of shape that I battle to do 4 proper (knee) pushups never mind 12!

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:18 pm

No way I'd be able to do even one push-up!!! Thanks for explaining though.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:13 pm

Hey, I do seriously modified push-ups - On my knees and I only lower my body about 1 in!

But for me it is getting into the habit of doing exercise and I find weight based exercises fast enought that I will do them. With 8 minutes there is no excuse about not having enough time!
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:16 am

I could not resist yesterday and I stepped on the scale and I have lost 1kg (2.2 lb) in 15 days that I have been back on No S and doing 8MM.

Proof once again that this combination works for me.
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

17th November 2009

Post by MerryKat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Sorry to have been so scarce - limited computer time.

I lost 0.3kg last month but did exercise on 18 days and had only 1 red day. A good habit building month.

This month - 1st to 16th
I have had a so, so month with exercise - lots of unofficial exercise (vigorous housework, alterations in the house) but no 8mm.

Eating wise I have had a few evenings of snacking after dinner, but irritated at myself as I am by those, they are not as out of control as in the past and are definitely lessening - so I am marking them red and moving on.

My push this week is back to vanilla no s - and I will not weigh till 27th November (that weekend is my birthday so there is no ways I am weighing on the 30th).

I really feel that I am living my life and while I still need to watch for the sneaky snacks, I am no longer obsessing over food.
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Update on 2009

Post by MerryKat » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 am

Hi all

2009 - I felt as if I was battling to get into a habit and routine that worked but it definitely worked better than I realised at the time. My total loss was 4kg (8.82lb) between January and December.

I was a bit fed up with myself that I had only lost 4kg over 12 months, but then I re-thought this and the reality is that I am 4kg down, rather than 4kg up, so I have scored just by loosing.

During each month I know my weight fluctuated (as is normal) but working with my month end weight, I lost for 10 months and I only gained for 2. I even managed to lose in December which is usually a gain month for me.

All in all I am delighted to be down 4kg as at the end of 2009 and I am heading into 2010 with my habit and routine settling more and more each month.
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

2010 Progress

Post by MerryKat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 am

January was mostly a No S month with a few lapses here and there, but I was aware of the slips and as such able to rectify them. I maintained my December 2009 weight which was brilliant.

February has gone extremely well. We made a call as a family that we were eating too much simple starch and protein and very few veggies / fruit, so we are making an effort to eat more complex carbs, less protein and lots of salads, veggies and fruit. I have found that doing this even my weekend are far less extreme than they were and I am basically back to my one specially chosen treat after dinner. The end result of this was a 1.1kg (2.43 lb) loss which I am DELIGHTED with - especially as it did not feel difficult at all.

March - Looking forward to another successful month like February.

MerryKat

Coffee and Starch

Post by MerryKat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Ok, so after my successful February, I have experimented a bit this month and come to the following conclusions:

Coffee is an "S" day treat for me. The days I drink coffee, I am perpetually hungry and even if I don't give in to the snacks my weight loss stops.

Starches (Carbs) - I have never believed in low carb but I am coming to think that I may have a wheat / gluten intolerance (which my mother has).

During February I cut back on the processed carbs which I ate and even the whole carbs I ate were far smaller portions than usual. I filled this gap with fruit and veggies. And I lost easily and quickly for me.

March was hectic and I slipped back into my old way of eating and my weight loss has come to a stand still despite being 100% on plan.

I am going to go back to my reduced carbs (minimal processed and reduced wheat products) with lots of fruit and veggies and usual protein and fat portions and see what happens.

I am finding this a very interesting process.

MerryKat

March Update

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:52 am

I am so glad March is over, it was a really blah month for me.

Lack of sleep due to kittens, children, storms, hubby's standby, tendonitis and too much reading late into the night! This led to feeling tired all day which makes the temptation to eat so much greater. Eating seemed disrupted as well and exercise was non-existant.

I maintained, which is just fine by me.

April's goals are:

- Be in bed by 10pm - every night, even weekends which will be tough as I am a total night owl.
- Fence around the No S rules and over-obsessively stick with them.
- Exercise (Hindu Squats and Hindu Pushups)
- Make sure I get my water over the weekends.

April here we come!!
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Ok, so my March blahs have dragged into April - add to them my son's birthday (lots of left over cake) and easter one weekend after another means that my start to April was worse than March. And then I allowed myself to just carry on snacking on chocolate and junk for the week after easter.

Well No More! As of yesterday I am back to 100% Vanilla No S.

Wow, yesterday was tough, nearly snacked once I got home and again after dinner, but I resisted and it felt GREAT.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:22 pm

MerryKat wrote: Wow, yesterday was tough, nearly snacked once I got home and again after dinner, but I resisted and it felt GREAT.
Good for you! :)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Thank you so much KCCC, that means do much right now. I have had a hectic, out of routine day (due to a doctors appointment for my son) and my DH is out at a meeting - both things which historically cause me to eat! So here I am posting via cell phone and a minature keyboard to help myself resist. I have had dinner after which I got into an arguement with my inner child over eating chocolate tonight - and I won!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am

It feels so good to have triumphed over my inner child last night and I know that every time I win it makes it easier the next time.

Now tonight I just need to resist dessert with my in-laws who come for dinner every Thurday and usually bring one. - I can do this!!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:47 pm

April has been a very up and down month and I can see that in my weight - I gained this month, which is not surprising when I consider I had 11 exempt days and 8 failed days (all failures due to snacking).

Nevermind - May is nearly here and it is a new begining. I am determined to get back to February's 100% No S.

I have also committed to the following 3 challenges for six weeks - Two Hundred Squats, Two Hundred Sit Ups and Hundred Push Ups. This should get me moving again and start building the exercise habit once more.
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Good luck Mo! I heard something once on a tape which I found helpful.
Losing weight, in a really sustainable way, is like getting a college degree.
There are some days that are good and some that are total disasters, but as long as you stick with it, eventually, you will get there, even with the disastrous days (or weeks or months or years as the case may be)...
Don't give up and it will "click".. you really have to "want" it to click tho..
Give it your best shot and also, I'd politely ask your in-laws if they might just bring over something you can actually enjoy on an N day.. How about a fresh fruit platter?? Let them know you appreciate them bringing dessert, but that you only have sweets on S days and that it would be really helpful to you if they would not bring cake type desserts because it's too hard to resist. Maybe they will go along?
What are you snacking on btw? Is it because you are hungry or is it just cos you have snack food laying around in your face?
Whatever you do, make sure you put it on a plate.. Worst case scenario, you'll find you might really need a fourth mini meal to get you through till dinner, but if it's on a plate, most likely, it will be a contained event.
Have a great weekend dear Mo :)
Hugs
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

MerryKat

BACK ONCE MORE

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Ok, I am back (AGAIN).

The fall down and get up story is so true for me - I keep tripping over my own feet!!

I am still not quite sure how or why the months from April were so tough but they were. Part of my problem is a house full of goodies thanks to two kids and a hubby - the kids don't have sweets during the week only the weekend but the hubby is an evening chocoholic / snacker! But this is just and excuse to throw a pity party and feel sorry for myself. I am not going to drown in why and wherefores, I am just going to start again.

I have know that I can make one part of my life easier by doing Vanilla No S - no thinking or deciding just allow the habit to work, so.......

I am back again as of today (was going to be last week but I had a stomach virus and barely ate).

My mum is going to be my life line in real life (she does not need to lose but finds that No S also helps her to feel better).

Look forward to catching up with everyone.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Deb

Sorry to take so long to respond to you and thanks for the info and questions.

At this rate the college degree is taking a rediculously long time!!

I really felt in January and February this year that it had 'clicked', but I guess not completely. I have just updated this year's habit cal and looking at that the habit is there a lot of the time and it is my default, I just need to sort the snacking and it will be 'clicked' for good.

My in-laws come for dinner (and bring it with them and finish the prep at my house every Thursday) and frequently bring dessert - anything from fresh strawberries to fridge tart or donuts! It is not an issue for me to say know - they respect that and I just need to do it!

My worst snack times are:
(1) just as I get home from work - vary between cereal, left overs, occasionally kids sweets (out of the sweet cupboard), fruit, veggies, sandwich. Most of the time my snacks are not that bad - just not necessary. No my snacking is seldom due to real hunger (if I am hungry I will have some milk and problem solved).

(2) after dinner - hubby usually has chocolate or biscuits after dinner and a lot of the failures recently have been joining him.

I am an emotional eater and if I have had a hectic, tiring (if I am late to bed I battle to resist snacks the next day), sad, lonely day then when I get home, if I don't keep busy enough, I will comfort eat (for no other reason than I can). I really do not need a 4th meal, I just need to find other out lets for my snacking!

I guess the other thing that happens is I start the pity party when DH has something after dinner and then I can rationalise anything until the next morning! He has always been rail skinny, but recently has started gaining the odd kg and they are not coming off so easily anymore.

Last night, I kept busy (Yoga, house work, helping DH with a project he is busy planning, making dinner) until dinner and then told DH that there are no more snacks (before or) after dinner until the weekend - we both need to lose some weight! He argued, but not for long and did not go and get anything, so hopefully we can both lose a few kg.
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Wednesday 13-10-2010

Post by MerryKat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:15 pm

I am going to try tracking my food for the first 21 days and see if it helps or is more bother than assistance.

Breakfast - 2 slices of toast with Bovril (tummy still not 100% happy after stomach virus last week)
Lunch - Optimized Oatmeal (with raisins and almonds)
Dinner - 4 slices of toast with Bovril (tummy really not happy at the thought of the dinner I made for family)
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MerryKat

Thursday 14/10/2010

Post by MerryKat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Breakfast - 2 slices of toast with Bovril (still have a fragile tummy in the morning)
Lunch - Optimized Oats (with raisins, almonds and coconut)
Dinner - Spaghetti Bolognaise
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Friday 15/10/2010 - Sunday 17/10/2010

Post by MerryKat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Friday
Breakfast - 2 x Slices Toast with margerine & Bovril
Lunch - Optimised Oats (raisins, coconut & cocoa powder)
Dinner - Pizza (one plate with no seconds) and nothing after dinner (a huge achievement for me)

Good weekend - some snacking but not a pig out so I am content. Some odd meals as I was still feeling a bit fragile after the stomach virus.
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Monday 18/10/2010

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Days 1 - 7 - Success

Breakfast - 2 slices toast - marg 1x Ham 1 x cheese
Lunch - Optimized Oats (with sunflower seeds and dried cranberries)
Dinner - Green Salad, Cold Meat, Corn & Pea Fritters
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Tuesday 19th October

Post by MerryKat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:55 am

Breakfast - 3 slices toast - marg 1x Ham 1 x mashed banana 1 x jam
Lunch - Optimized Oats (with sunflower seeds, coconut and dried cranberries)
Dinner - Beetroot, cucumber, Ham, Wholewheat toast (rest of family had goulash and mashed potatoes)
Dessert (for Anniversary) - Chocolate brownie with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles
Last edited by MerryKat on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Wednesday 20-10-2010

Post by MerryKat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:58 am

Breakfast - 2 slices toast - marg 1x egg 1 x strawberry & rhubarb jam
Lunch - Optimized Oats (with sunflower seeds, coconut and dried cranberries)
Dinner - Crumbed chicken fillet stuffed with pepper sauce, Couscous with cucumber and red pepper

I had the worst bout of munchies after dinner last night - fancied something savoury, but I resisted and it is such a good feeling (once the urge has passed).
Last edited by MerryKat on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Thursday 21/10/2010

Post by MerryKat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 am

Breakfast - 2 x toast with marg & cheddar cheese
Lunch - forgot my lunch at home, but found packet of two minute noodles in my drawer at work and bought a packet of crisps.
Dinner - Mashed potatoes, 1 slice bread & Chicken stew.

MerryKat

Friday 22/10/2010

Post by MerryKat » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Breakfast - 2 x toast with marg 1 - strawberry jam 1 - cheese
Lunch - Optimized oats (with cranberries & sunflower seeds)
Dinner - Home made chicken burgers and crisps is the plan

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Ok, did 2 weeks of posting my meals - and I did not find any worth - just irritation at trying to remember what I ate.

I am going to revert to posting when I am faced with a challenge and how I cope and my monthly weights.

This weekend ran from Friday after dinner till Sunday before dinner - this takes a lot of thought on the Sunday, but worked for me this weekend due to the way the weekend happened.