Beaconmom check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

beaconmom

Beaconmom check-in

Post by beaconmom » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:01 am

Day 1 : success

I was surprised by how hungry I got when I knew I wasn't going to eat anything until the next meal. Even RIGHT after lunch, clearing off the table, I went from feeling full to feeling hungry. I didn't realize how psychological hunger was. When I stopped thinking about it, the hungry feeling went away.
Last edited by beaconmom on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Congratulations on a successful day one! I can tell you that it does get easier as you figure out your meals and your body gets used to eating at mealtimes.

beaconmom

Post by beaconmom » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Day 2: success

Modification: Two mornings a week I have a 6AM martial arts lesson. I have found (the hard way) that I need to have something in my system before class or I can get very light-headed. I don't think a glass of apple juice is going to throw me off too much, so I will still have my juice before class.

Starla, thanks for the encouragement!

beaconmom

Post by beaconmom » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:17 am

Day 3: Success

beaconmom

Post by beaconmom » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:07 pm

Day 4: Success

I'm a little less hungry between meals than I was a few days ago -- good sign! I also look forward to meals more than I did, and I'm enjoying every bite. When I did Weight Watchers a few years ago, meals meant counting points and worrying if I'd go over for the day or not, and I didn't enjoy eating as much.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm so hungry for lunch that I misread your ID as baconmom. :)
beaconmom wrote:Day 4: Success

I'm a little less hungry between meals than I was a few days ago -- good sign! I also look forward to meals more than I did, and I'm enjoying every bite. When I did Weight Watchers a few years ago, meals meant counting points and worrying if I'd go over for the day or not, and I didn't enjoy eating as much.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

beaconmom

Post by beaconmom » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Day 5: success!

Wow -it feels great to have a whole week of successes under my belt! I've dropped two pounds this week, too, and I feel good. Now for an S-day, although I don't want to undo my success so far. Maybe a nice dessert tonight with supper, or a small bedtime snack.

beaconmom

Post by beaconmom » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:32 pm

It's been a few days since I had the chance to check in.

Day 6:S-Day, had a yummy after-the-kids-are-in-bed snack or frozen raspberries.

Day 7: S-Day, had dessert after supper.

Day 8: Success! I'm not thinking about it quite as much as I did last week, I'm just doing it. A positive sign!

beaconmom

Post by beaconmom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:01 am

Day 9: success

Day 10: success!

This is going really well so far. Knowing I have an S-day coming in a few days gives me the mental fortitude to tough it out when I want some "goodies" or snacks. I feel good, too. I'm about half-way to the 21-day mark!