Teemuh's Take

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Teemuh

Teemuh's Take

Post by Teemuh » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:12 am

Hi. I started this again over a week ago, and have 6 straight days of compliance. Today was pretty good, except I left my lunch so small that I ate a very large dinner and suffered a mild allergic reaction with it! As I was feeling vaguely sorry for myself, there was a program featuring this young girl awaiting a double lung transplant, and it wasn't even clear she would live long enough to get it, and all feeling's of pity for myself were quickly forgotten. If my biggest problem is a few extra pounds which I can do something about, then it's good to be me :) So that's my story. I've lost 3 pounds so far and have taken to walking to work and on my lunch hour. Hopefully all this will see me through..

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:38 am

Today was pretty good but I did end up having a chocolate spelt flour cookie. I'm telling ya,anyone with a wheat allergy will find it hard to resist the lure of actual chocolate cookie you can eat! But I otherwise stuck to the 3 meals--very moderately sized-and did 90 minutes walking and some light weights. So not too disappointed, but I am interested in establishing the N day habit.

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:36 am

Wednesday-success. I even put a brownie someone gave me into the freezer for the weekend. I find it helps to have a nice bath at night and sip lime Perrier. Keeps any hunger at bay and gives me something to do other than eat. Oh, and lost another pound. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:02 am

Hey you're doing great!! :)
Welcome and keep up the good work!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:51 am

Thanks, Gratefuldeb67 :) I'm really trying to establish this habit, because it seems to be working so far. Last night I was sooo hungry, but then I thought of the large breakfast I could have the next morning. And you know what? By the time breakfast came around I wasn't that ravenous after all and ended up with a bowl of cereal and piece of toast with peanut butter. And so today--success-- :)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:53 pm

I always find it surprising that going to bed a little hungry does not mean waking up ravenous - sometimes, you wake up not hungry at all.

It sounds like you are doing great.
Teemuh wrote:Thanks, Gratefuldeb67 :) I'm really trying to establish this habit, because it seems to be working so far. Last night I was sooo hungry, but then I thought of the large breakfast I could have the next morning. And you know what? By the time breakfast came around I wasn't that ravenous after all and ended up with a bowl of cereal and piece of toast with peanut butter. And so today--success-- :)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Friday turned into an S day for me, but I still managed 50 minutes of walking, and didn't turn it into a binge from Hell. Today, I'm wondering if I even want anything to make this an S day....

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:53 am

Back on track. Successful S day plus 60 minutes walking plus 25 minutes Tae Bo. Was slightly nauseus at the end of that, but did get through it, and so I felt pretty good.

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:42 am

Successful No S day. Wasn't able to get in much walking but completed another session of Tae bo, and that really works up a sweat! Curious about what I will weigh tomorrow.

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:41 am

So this is my eighth successful no s day. I've lost 4.5 pounds to date and am feeling good. I've incorporated Tae Bo into my workouts to get things moving along and plan to keep my walking up. So that's it for me. Hope everyone is doing well :)

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:28 am

Must confess I had a moment today when I thought it might be nice to have a piece of chocolate, but the thought of having to start my No S day streak at the beginning again, pushed me through. I also got some walking in (70 minutes) and another Taebo session. I like the short 20 minute workouts because frankly, I am not motivated to go longer. I'd rather just walk. Umm..as for what I'm eating, it's basically what's ever in the fridge. I managed to somehow buy a lot of yogurt, so I'm usually eating that for breakfast before it expires ,with some fruit and maybe a piece of toast. I went out for lunch today and had a spinach salad with some chicken, and for dinner I had some chicken/rice/with Indian spices, some grapes and some brown beans. Like I say, it's a real mishmash, but it is nice to eat what you want. And my new favourite beverage is definitely lime Perrier. I think I like to drink it more than pop,now. :shock:

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:22 am

Day 13 of success. Anytime I'm t empted I think having to start that darn streak over again. Weekend was interesting. I was doing wonderfully with my planned sweet (some dark chocolate with nuts) when I was brought some milk chocolate, peanut butter, nut concoction that sent my blood sugar soaring, and gave me a ravenous desire to finish the lot off! It's funny how certain foods do this to you. Needless to say, I'm back on track today with No-sing . I've given myself a rather lofty goal of losing up to 5 pounds in December. So besides the 'diet' I continue to walk (60 inutes today) and do Tae bo. With Tae bo at least I'll tighten up if nothing else :lol:

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Congrats on your loss. It sounds like things are going well for you - keep up the good work!
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks, Girlnextdoor. Good luck to you too :D

Teemuh

Back to Basics

Post by Teemuh » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:56 pm

So I'm back NoS'ing, no BS'ing :) I got off to a rocky start at the beginning of the month with Easter and all, and while I could make the week all the way through okay, I seemed to crash and burn on the S days and undo all the progress from the previous week. And so, I have decided to not indulge in S day's until I'm pretty entrenched into the system, and the result has been a 4.5 pound loss this week. I was also really inspired by Connorcream who just figured out what she needed to do, and now here she is, passing her first goal weight and well on her way to her secondary goal weight. Time is passing anyway, so how nice to have such an improvement in your physical self. So here are my start stats:

Start / Current / Goal
181 / 176.5 / 155
Last edited by Teemuh on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:40 pm

So things are going well. I'm having a default breakfast (strawberry smoothie) and lunch (chicken salad) then whatever I want for dinner. I estimate I'm probably taking in 1300 calories a day. What also helps is the 3 days a week walk/jog program I'm doing with some friends at work during lunch, then trying to get some walking in on the other days. I'm also doing Jorge Cruise's 8 Minutes in the Morning exercise plan. I find it's fairly easy to roll out of bed and do this, and then I've got something under my belt, rather than nothing. Today, I'm down another 1/2 pound and 20 from my goal.

Start / Current / Goal
181 / 175.5 / 155

Teemuh

Happy

Post by Teemuh » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:00 am

I'm doing very well on this.

Breakfast
strawberry smoothie

lunch
2 chicken soft flour tacos

Dinner
Stuffed chicken breast
baked potato with butter and seasoning
sprig of grapes
glass of milk

And down another 1 1/2 pounds for a total of 7 so far.

Start / Current / Goal
181 / 174 / 155

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Wed May 05, 2010 2:16 pm

So, finding the 3rd week a little harder. I had an extra bowl of strawberries last night, otherwise I would have gone out of my mind. My weight was also on standby but this morning saw I dropped another pound for a total of 8 lost so far. I have holidays coming up, and am a bit worried about that whole thing, but hopefully I've established the NoS habit enough to not go too far off the rails.

Start / Current / Goal
181 / 173 / 155