JR's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JR

JR's daily check in

Post by JR » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Well I started 6 days ago and have just been finding my way round this site and a daily check in seems like a good idea.

I also got my HabitCal going. (Reinhard if you read this, at the start your instructions say hit Show but there is no Show, it's Load.)

Day 1 - Success

Day 2 - Success

Day 3 - S day

Day 4 - S day

Day 5 - Success

Day 6 - Success

I actually was a bit doubtful that this would work as I didn't think I ate many snacks or sweets or seconds, but boy was I wrong! First of all I am properly hungry when it's meal time (bit of a hint right there) and secondly I find myself often reaching for food while preparing meals and have to stop myself. It was a mouthful here and there ... also I used to have seconds quite a bit ... all adds up. And of course those times I was baking (we cook a lot from scratch here) lots went down the hatch. So this is really good news: lots of room for improvement! :D

The last diet I was on was also fairly simple, basically eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full, but I found I was never hungry ??? (oh yes I gained weight on that one!) I much prefer this, crystal clear rules with a break at weekends.

I was nervous about my first two S days but decided to just relax. I cooked two fried eggs on toast for lunch which I enjoyed but not as much as I thought I would, plus an extra glass of wine, some peanuts and a delicious dessert of strawberries (from our garden) and icecream.

In a way it was good to get back to an N day on Monday. Strange!

I have come down 1.3kg (nearly 3lbs) so that is a good start. I don't expect it every week though.

JR

Post by JR » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Day 7 - Success
Great, my first week has been good. Still feel quite hungry between meals so am eating slightly more but I think I will get used to it.

In just under three weeks my husband and I are going on a road trip to South Island. Some self-catering but mostly eating out, so I am nervous about this, not quite sure how to handle it. Do I add in extra S days or what?

JR

Post by JR » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Day 8 - Success
Another good day. :D

JR

Post by JR » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Day 9 - Success

Day 10 - S day
Maybe feeling a little more relaxed about S days. Trying 100% and thrilled with my compliance so far!

JR

Post by JR » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:31 pm

Day 11 - S Day

JR

Post by JR » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:13 am

If you are interested I am going over to the General Discussion 21 days wannabe...