Iz's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Izbiz

Iz's check in

Post by Izbiz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Need to start doing this so I can see at a glance how well I'm doing (or not), and justify all those red days lately...and coz I like to see the sort of things I'm eating and spot if I'm getting stuck in a rut.

Breakfast: muesli, dried apricots, milk, grated apple, tiny glass grapefruit juice, two cups of tea (no sugar)

Lunch: homemade spicy butternut soup, two slices toasted homemade bread, butter, clementine

Dinner: haven't had it yet, but it's gonna be blackbean chilli with basmati rice and probably prunes with 2% greek yoghurt.

Ended up having 0% greek yoghurt, becuase had a dollop on my chilli - so used up the rest with my fruit. Added half a banana, a teaspoon of grapenuts and a teaspoon of sugar to my yoghurt with prunes. Also had a kiwi fruit. Was really really hungry as dinner was late because of waiting for my OH to have a leg massage...

Virtually everything we eat is homemade, so I won't specify that again. Just a note, homemade bread is denser than shop-bought so I probably ate a bit too much. Also have a teaspoon of sugar on yoghurt as I reckon if other people can have it in tea/coffee, then I can have one spoon a day on my yoghurt - which is otherwise completely natural and unsweetened. I could probably do without it if I have a banana, as they are sweet enough -but hey, I can handle it...

I only have a few pounds to lose, about 10 tops - but because I am so close to my target weight, I always knew it would be really really difficult to do without doing some sort of starvation diet aka not sustainable - so I am SO pleased to have discovered no S!!! I eat pretty healthily, so I only need to cut down a bit - but it's all those little bits that add up, and cutting out the snacks has really highlighted just how often those "little snacks" and "treats" added up...

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:23 pm

Usual breakfast.

Lunch was butternut soup with leftover brown rice thrown in and a handful of prawns - seriously good. Was late taking the dog for a walk though, as I was eating at the computer....not good, not usual.... so didn't have time for fruit, which was a bit stupid.

Had an incredibly near miss when my daughter was eating her tea - she didn't want the last quarter of eggy bread (french toast?) and I actually put it IN MY MOUTH when I remembered NO SNACKS INCLUDES CHILDRENS' LEFTOVERS - doh! But I hadn't swallowed the bite I had taken, so I spat it out and gave the rest to the dog - who gobbled it.

Was very hungry early evening - on Brownies nights, my daughter eats early at 5pm and is not home until nearly 7.30, so we don't eat until 8pm - two hours later than usual. We could eat at 6 whilst she is out, but I hate eating then having to go out again in the dark and cold, I like to eat when I'm finished going out and about for the day.

Eventually had baked garlicky mushrooms and goats cheese in ciabatta with lettuce and rocket and a dollop of half-fat mayo. Baked apples with dried fruit (done in the slow cooker, an experiment) and plain greek yoghurt.

NOT a good day, lazy and thoughtless - very nearly blew it. Ironic that I was spending so much time on the computer researching an exercise technique...ha! Very intrigued by T-Tapp - just found a mention of it on here yesterday. Tried the butt exercises...seriously painful. So I didn't do my pilates for Habitcal, but I did do T-Tapp instead, and I did do my cleaning - dusting and hoovering upstairs, and the usual wipe and polish round the bathroom. Didn't achieve much else today except a sore bum.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Usual breakfast.

Dusted and hoovered downstairs, cleaned bathroom, did T-Tapp exercises again instead of Pilates.

Gas man came to service the boiler and filled the kitchen counters with tools, so didn't have time to prep lunch before going out, so grabbed couple of kiwis, banana, 5 oatcakes and a mini tub of light Philadelphia chz to have at embroidery group.

Dinner was fish pie, broccoli then prunes, 1/2 banana, greek yog (not much), tsp sugar, tsp grape nuts.

Did have 2 glasses of sauv blanc...child was being 'orrible, spent the afternoon with ladies of a certain age talking embroidery, did the supermarket hence felt the need for a little tipple...

Forgot to mention it before - I have a significant birthday coming up in June, so I really really want to enter my next decade quite a bit lighter, trimmer, with excellent habits and self-esteem etc...

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 pm

What a dreadful day.

First mistake was to weigh myself. I was deliberately NOT weighing myself since returning from 5 days with my step-mother, the retired nutritionist, who fed us lasagne and crumpets and cake and wine and G&Ts and fruit tart....I was going to give myself until Monday 1 March, then weigh once a month instead of once a day. I dunno, yesterday I was feeling light, feeling good....so I jumped right on those scales. I'm three pounds heavier than I was 2 weeks ago, and that's after a week back on "normal" routine....

Then I went up to the garage with my husband to drop the car in, and walked back in the rain (why?), dithered and played with fabric scraps until 10 ish, pootled on the computer for a bit (why?) walked back up to the garage to collect the car, spot of lunch (soup, toast with butter, kiwi, clementine), walked the dog for an hour - also in the rain - got back and prepped dinner then took daughter to swimming, ate (leek and potato bake, lettuce and cucumber no dressing, baked apple, dollop yog - too much, but still ate it...) finished the wine...and so it goes on.

So on top of being heavier than I was two weeks ago, I also did nothing towards achieving any of my embroidery/textile goals - and that's despite spending an hour writing out a spreadsheet of all my deadlines yesterday. It's like being a teenager all over again, colouring in my exam revision timetable without actually doing any work...

AAAAGGGGHHHHH blurgh. Just want to go to bed and start again, except I haven't done my exercises yet, or cleaned the bathroom, or done my cleaning for the day (floors - but no real point, as continuous wet paw prints from rain).

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Much better day. Weighed myself, a pound less than Thursday. Will have to weigh myself every day now, until feel that I'm making progress again.

Usual breakfast.
Egg, low-fat mayo, cress (and butter - naughty with the mayo, but i like the salt...) with homemade bread roll, kiwi, clementine.
Vegetarian bolognese with wholewheat pasta, parmesan, four apricots, banana, one spoon greek yog (end of pot), tsp sugar, tsp grapenuts, two small glasses red wine.

Did exercises and cleaned bathroom. Also did exercises and cleaned bathroom on Thursday, about 9.30pm and 10.30pm respectively...

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm

Tried the recipe for low fat chocolate mocha cake, from February BBC Good Food magazine - the April issue arrived, with two letters from readers saying that their 10 year old children had made the cake and everyone found it "delicious", "yummy" etc.

So I roped in the Girl before breakfast, still in our jimjams, and we made the cake. That is, she had a panic attack about using the mixer so I made the cake. We, sorry, I iced it after lunch and we were all looking forward to a slice after dog walk this afternoon.

All I can say is, if you want chocolate cake, have chocolate cake. DO NOT try this recipe thinking you can "have your cake and eat it". Ours is now in the bin. It was a fat-free whisked cake mix, aka dry and tasteless, and the topping/filling was low fat cream cheese mixed with 0% fat greek yoghurt and icing sugar, the topping included a spoon of melted dark chocolate and a spoon of black coffee. YUKKY!!!! Bitter and acid and yoghurty and NOT NICE!!

A lesson learned. If you want cake, have cake. If you want low fat, low sugar, have a rice cake or a stick of celery.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Saturday: usual breakfast, homemade roll and vegetarian pate for lunch, cucumber, clementine, banana, yumyum from Waitrose. Slice horrid chocolate cake for snack, dinner was fishfingers, veg mash, cabbage/pea/broc melange...apple crumble, custard, wine...

Sunday: usual breakfast, slice GINGER CAKE (thank heck for having some in the freezer after the choc cake disaster), bread roll, parsnip and apple soup, more cake later, pork osso bucco with assorted veg in the mix, brown rice, more apple crumble, greek yog, wine.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Monday: usual breakfast; bread roll, butter, chunk of cheese, apple & parsnip soup, clementine, banana for lunch; nut roast, swedey mash, peas, yoghurt, prunes, banana, tsp sugar, tsp grapenuts for dinner. Cleaned and did exercises. 9st 9.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Tuesday: 9st8. Usual breakfast; lunch - bread roll, butter, sort of strange scrambled egg thing with red pepper, red chilli, coriander and a few wafer thin pieces cheese, clementine....dinner - green lentils and chorizo with red wine and added curly kale, bread rolls (two par-baked ones from a packet - white), butter, spoon of yoghurt, prunes, banana, tsp sug, tsp g.nuts. Too much bread, feel fat. Did exercises and cleaned.

Success on no S ie. no snacks, no sweets, no seconds, but I still suspect my dinner "plate" is too big - certainly was tonight with all that bread. Have totally cracked the "no snacks" habit though, including the craving for sweet things in the late evening. I'm finding it very easy to do - I either snack or I don't, and no S means I don't. At all. Nothing. I either do or I don't, whether its an apple or a cake - so I just don't. No decision, no waffle, no bargaining, no "but I had an hours walk with the dog"/"but I had a tiny lunch" etc. Easy! The one plate thing, not so easy.....unless it's an exceptionally huge plate.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:40 pm

Forgot to mention that I walk the dog for up to an hour every day - 40 minutes and upwards. Today was an hour - what a beautiful day! Ended up walking in a T shirt with my fleece tied around my waist.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:53 pm

Weds: 9st 9 and very depressed because still can't fit into any of my jeans. I put on 5 pounds before and during Christmas, it all started with doing jury service and sitting around all day eating biscuits and doing no exercise. I've lost at least 3 pounds for sure, but the weight fluctuates around the 9st 9 now. Not happy. Had a pretty good day otherwise, didn't do cleaning but exempt because working, did exercises, walked dog for an hour, but had massive pasta at dinner - could have probably had half the amount and been satisfied. Also had glass of wine, which I never used to do mid-week.

Thurs: 9st 8 hooray, bit better. Didn't do exercises as waiting for T-Tapp book from Amazon and thought I'd do them later on, then the book didn't arrive and I didn't do them anyway. Did cleaning from yesterday and today's, and food was OK. Very strange dinner and had too much greek yog on my banana and it felt like too much, but I ate it anyway...

Fri: 9st 7 what's going on!! Jeans are still just as tight though. Didn't do exercises, exempt from cleaning because of work, food ok but probably need to lose the bread element from lunch due to excess of BUTTER. If I have oat cakes or leftovers or rice cakes or pitta bread, I don't have butter. If I have toast or bread or rolls, I have butter...I'm working on the principle that if it feels naughty, it probably is.

Sat: 9st 8. Wearing linen trousers not jeans....makes life easier and less constricted...S day so our treat this weekend is date flapjacks. YUMMY. And apple crumble for pud, as still had one in the freezer...T-Tapp book finally arrived to much eye-rolling from my husband. Haven't had a quiet moment to read any of it yet. I'm also working my way through the "10 steps to fashion freedom" about finding your personal style, but have got stuck on the body image exercises...already spent over a week trying to come up with my "style goal"...

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Blimey, Thursday already.

Had a good week food-wise, including a very strange dinner on Monday...it was a rice/lentil dish, that smelt fine and tasted fine but just seemed to be missing something...like a chicken tikka masala topping or something. Very nearly went to the takeaway to get some, it's only the fact that the chicken is most definitely NOT free-range that stopped us doing just that....

Been trying the T Tapp exercises from the book, and spent most of Monday photocopying the photos and pasting them onto A3 paper to try and make sense of everything. Have finally given in and ordered the DVD today. Blimmin' better be worth it. I did have another quick measure beforehand, and I seem to have lost an inch off my waist in three days....weight was 9.8 since the weekend, but today was 9.7 I went to Boots and measured my body fat on the machine by the counter, so I will use that as the definitive guide to whether or not anything is happening...

I would be VERY interested to know if others here use the T Tapp exercises, and what their experiences have been!

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Had good food days on Thursday and Friday but gone completely overboard these past two S days - made myself (nobody else was going to do it) a cherry bakewell mothers' day cake, which we proceeded to scoff in all it's sweet almondy jammy cakeyness over the weekend. Maybe not as good as a date flapjack or a sticky ginger cake, so we decided to "perk it up a bit" this evening with a large dollop of thick custard....

Had a lazy slow walk yesterday afternoon because The Girl complained about achey legs the whole way, and The Dog just wanted to eat sticks. Did better today with a march around Wakehurst Place in the morning, then 90 minutes plus striding around Ashdown Forest with the hound this afternoon.

Tried doing the T-Tapp hoe downs to offset the cake'n'custard. D'ya think it will work?? Day of reckoning tomorrow, off to Boots to measure body fat on the machine again.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Blimey, according to the machine I've lost 2.2kg of fat. In one week. My BMI and weight is exactly the same, but my body fat % has seriously reduced (as has my waist). Is this a fluke? Back to the exercises this week, we'll see if it continues/if next week it's all back again...maybe it was an electrical blip.

No S still going well. Usual breakfast, wholemeal roll with PB and banana, pesto roast veg with pine nuts and spinach and a bit of cous cous, stewed fruits with greek yog, glass white wine.

Scales were 9.7 on Friday, flirted with 9.6 on Sunday, back to 9.8 Monday, 9.7 today. Also wearing jeans that haven't seen the light of day for a few months. Digging in a bit on the tum, but the legs are fine!

Keep plugging on.

Journey

Post by Journey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:44 pm

Izbiz wrote:Blimey, according to the machine I've lost 2.2kg of fat. In one week. My BMI and weight is exactly the same, but my body fat % has seriously reduced (as has my waist). Is this a fluke? Back to the exercises this week, we'll see if it continues/if next week it's all back again...maybe it was an electrical blip.
I think this is called losing inches or replacing fat with muscle.
Congratulations! It's a wonderful thing.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Thank you! Whilst no S has been brilliant for highlighting excess and giving slow sustainable weight loss, the quick and significant results from the exercise is something that I have never experienced before - and it feels amazing. I'm hitting the big 4-0 in June and want to feel and look young and zingy, not old and past-it! :lol:

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Hmmm....falling off the wagon, big time.

Wednesday: FAILURE Ate a snack-pack of cheddars and three dried apricots...

Thursday: FAILURE Had a slice of chocolate tiffin before lunch, then a biscuit at a training meeting, then another snack-pack of cheddars AND three oatcakes AND butter when I got home...and a large slug of calvados. Gee, it was a bad meeting: role play with teapots, who could blame me...

Friday: FAILURE Half a tub of Ben'n'Jerrys cookie dough ice-cream...blatant.

Having an interesting S day too, with pumpkin'n'orange spice cake at lunch time (and with custard for dessert later) AND date flapjack after our walk (an hour on the forest, in the rain).

I'm surprised my trousers still fit. Must be because they're elasticated.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Having a slightly more moderate day. Didn't go overboard with bread at lunchtime, didn't have a snack this morning - saved the date flapjacks for after the dog walk. Did all my exercises this morning, and discovered I can do press-ups. Only about three, starting from plank and pushing down about half way then up again... but heck, I've never in my life been able to do even one before. Can't quite get my nose to the carpet then up again, but just to do three without feeling like my elbows are going to pop, blimmin' marvellous!

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:25 am

Still on self-destruct mode at beginning of week; think it's finally back under control today, Wednesday.

Whilst prepping fresh pineapple on Monday, suddenly found myself gnawing and slurping on the pieces of discarded core . Then ate three dried apricots at 10pm, something I hadn't done for a month.

Yesterday, finally had a delivery of various things such as eco patio cleaner, and a small bag of fudge and a marzipan/chocolate bar which had fallen into the internet shopping basket, electronically, of their own accord....This stuff was supposed to arrive in time for the Mothers' day weekend. Needless to say the fudge has now gone (but they're only little pieces....blah blah blah); the marzipan bar is hidden in the cupboard. But I know it's there.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:15 pm

HO HO. The week just got better and better. Can't really believe just how I crashed and burned..

After that post on Wednesday, we were given a box of chocolates as a thank you for looking after our daughter's friend after school for a couple of afternoons...guess what, the chocs didn't make it to Thursday...even though I actually felt quite queasy by bedtime still kept troughing.

Then on Thursday I was prepping stuff for daughter's birthday party, including melting 150g chocolate to make birthday cake icing.... oh dear, I need one extra chunk of Dairy Milk to make up the weight... oh look, there appears to be an open and surplus-to-requirements bar of chocolate kicking about now....whaddya know, and I don't even like chocolate, it's not my usual "binge" of choice...

So Friday was an S day, daughter's birthday, followed swiftly by Saturday and Sunday.

If I haven't put on all that FAT again when I go to be weighed tomorrow, I shall eat my hat.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Welllll, according to the scales at Boots I have a slightly higher fat% than a couple of weeks ago when I had that dramatic loss from T-Tapp, but this week was lower than last week - despite the chocolate.

Monday: SUCCESS on no-S; SUCCESS on exercise; SUCCESS on cleaning chores. Ditto for Tuesday. Hooray! I CAN do this - now I'm back on, it's easy to keep going. Falling off, it's hard to get back on again. Funny thing, habit.

Now I'm back on with no-S, and doing all exercise and cleaning chores with no probs, I really need to tackle getting to bed at a reasonable hour: I like to read for a bit, so even if I'm late to bed I still have reading time....and it gets later and later.

Tried rye bread today (and yesterday). Managed to stomach it a bit better today, but yesterday it nearly made me gag. I really hoped I'd like it, so I'm surprised I didn't...

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:44 pm

Well seeing as it's nearly a month since I last posted, you can probably guess what I've been doing. STUFFING MY FACE! Am I being too hard on myself? I just haven't been able to do this at all, and I'm cross.

I've been exercising diligently - I schedule it into my filofax, and I do my hour three times a week - inch loss is slowing with T Tapp but I have definitely got more muscle, my arms are less flabby and the bit just above my knee now has a bit of definition...but why did I keep on eating?

A handful of raisins here, a dried apricot there, another scoffing handful of currants (rediscovered when had half a packet left after making hot cross buns...). I did a bunch of baking for Easter, and it was the school holidays, so all routines and behavioural norms just flew out of the window - and didn't come back when school started again. And those packets in the cupboard. A clingfilm wrapped lump of marzipan, calling to me....I ate nearly all of it and then chucked the last bit in the bin. I did consider rifling through the bin to find it again, though. Revolting.

Gia's post about that 200 extra calories a day just slipping in there was just what I needed to read...for me, it's just got to be the dried fruit. That's a relatively new thing ie. in the last 8 or 9 years. ie. since I put on half a stone seemingly permanently. Hmm, d'ya think there's a link?

When I was skinny (and yet didn't think I was) I was also working full time or a student. If I was working, I didn't have non-stop access to food, and when I was a student I couldn't afford to have the stuff lying around the house that I do now - cupboards full of FOOD, including baking ingredients (marzipan, dried fruits), different jams, selections of crackers etc. I was generally hard up for cash, had a very limited repertoire of things I could cook (and would eat) and just got what I needed for the week. It sort of creeps up on you, part of being married and being a mum and cooking from scratch more, cooking more varied stuff, being more adventurous = more food around.

Hey ho. Back on it. Will post here every day again and try and get this thing back under control.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:28 pm

OK, where were we.

Tuesday:
Breakfast: muesli, apricots, apple, grapefruit juice, milk
Lunch: homemade roll, butter, 1oz cheese, cucumber, lettuce, banana
Dinner: leek and goats cheese tart, roast asparagus, 4 prunes, 1tbsp greek yog 2%, 1tsp sugar

Wednesday:
Breakfast: as before
Lunch: 4 cheese oatcakes, 1oz cheese, cucumber, banana
Dinner: pasta with wild garlic leaves, mushrooms, pinenuts, spring greens, cream; fresh pineapple, dollop vanilla icecream. Oops. It looked like low sugar, though...not much per 100ml. But I've just done the maths, weighed the pot and compared it to a full one, and 12.5g/100ml is the same as 18.75g/100g. And we ate 300g between 3 of us. Guess that's me stuffed on the no Sugar then...Try again tomorrow.

Izbiz

Post by Izbiz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:43 pm

I thought today had been a REALLY lean day, apart from the icecream mishap, what with my tiny lunch and all - I thought maybe I'd gone a bit too restrictive. Imagine my shock to find that when I added up all the calories, it came to 1450 - which is almost exactly what I should be eating to lose weight. So not overtly lean at all, although I suppose it would have been a bit extreme if I hadn't had the icecream mishap...

Counting up those calories is a real eye-opener, it's the little stuff like a splash of olive oil here, a spoon of cream in the pasta there, A GREAT DOLLOP OF ICECREAM and so on.