Thtrchic's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:03 am

Sunday, S-DAY. Good. Friday was a little excessively snack-y, but today was very in control and according to plan.

B - cereal with milk and banana
L - 1/2 large corned beef sandwich on rye, fresh coconut, 1 one-bite coconut macaroon
S - fairly large and well frosted chocolate bakery cupcake
D (take-out) - 3 fairly large slices of pepperoni and olive pizza

Walked about 40 minutes today.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 am

Monday, SUCCESS. Although I did have chips with both lunch and dinner.

L - bagel with cream cheese, corn chips, sumo mandarin
D - wheat thins with homemade cashew butter, potato chips, fresh coconut

Did the 45 minute/3 mile WATP + this morning. I can really feel the difference in the workout between the two and it's nice to get the extra, although I don't always feel like I have the extra 15 minutes to invest.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Yesterday, Tuesday, was my birthday so an extra S Day. And I had several servings of sweets. :) I also had very yummy lunch and dinner out. I did get my walking in -- 12000 steps for the day.

Julie

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:07 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! DEFINITE cause for an S!!!
Liz

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:23 pm

You are doing so great with your increased exercise and continued moderation in eating. Happy Birthday!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks, guys.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:50 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS.

B - hot grape nuts
L - bagel with cream cheese, corn chips, banana, little bit of fresh coconut
D - (take out) chicken pad thai (about 1/2 the take out order)

Did a bunch of walking again today --- expect to finish the day around 11K steps.

Julie

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:29 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I see a lot of SUCCESS going on on this thread! Great job!

Question: So, do you just warm up your grapenuts in the microwave? I'm a big fan of grapenuts, but have never had them warm. hmm?
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Combine the grape nuts with an equal amount milk (or a tiny bit less) and microwave for about 90 seconds. I add a spoonful of honey or brown sugar as well. They're very tasty.

And thanks!

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:36 am

I took today as my "floating weekday" S Day. It actually worked perfectly to help solve the problem of giving in to sweets when I shouldn't but am tired and cranky and don't care. I think I can totally do today and one weekend day and be set rather than the old system of today being a failure and there still being two weekend days. Originally I was planning to take tomorrow actually, but I think I "needed" it more today and feel good about the decision.

I also took today as my off day on exercise. I still ended up doing about 9000 steps, though. So that's a nice bonus.

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:11 am

Doing 9000 steps does not sound like a day off exercise. It sounds like you are an exercise addict now! That is a good thing. My lighter days feel like a day off too but really are not by my old standards.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am

It's true I guess. Although it was really just a busy day of running around the office. I didn't take any sort of walk at all other than a few minute one to get a diet coke and the few minutes I had to walk to and from an offsite meeting. Today I actually did take a dedicated walk and am concerned that I'm going to have to do another little push to hit my required 10000.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:04 am

And, Friday, SUCCESS!

L - wheat thins with homemade cashew butter, potato chips, whole bunch of strawberries
D - 1/2 piece matzo with butter, 1.5 pieces matzo with chopped liver, hard boiled egg, charoset (apples and walnuts mixed with a little honey and cinnamon)

It's the first night of Passover, but I'm at the theatre so I brought in some things to get some of the seder feel to my night.

Did 20 minutes upper body weights and crunches this morning and working on getting my walking in. Took a fairly fast paced 20 minute afternoon walk and the rest mixed in throughout the day and evening.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:34 am

Saturday, my second regular S day of the week. Not at all bad.

B - 6 one-bite coconut macaroons, banana
L - matzo brei, frozen strawberry bar
D - chopped salad of lettuce and spinach (from the garden), hard boiled egg, avocado, excellent blue cheese in a champagne vinaigrette dressing, piece of matzo with butter

I'm going bowling with a bunch of people tonight and am allowed a snack. However, since it's Passover my options are a little more limited for outside the house food so it might very well not happen. Or maybe I just won't feel like anything?

Off for the day on exercise.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 am

Sunday, SUCCESS.

It's an N Day since I took Thursday as an S Day. And it's really hard not to snack tonight. It was no problem all day, but now that Sunday night its traditional (to me these days) eating of treats is calling. I'm not going to give in because I don't need them and want to see the trial of this mod through.

B (out, with the boy) - about 3/4 of a 3 egg bacon, spinach and cheddar omelette, about 3/4 of the home fries I was served, small glass orange juice, few bites watermelon
L - small serving of leftover matzo brei
D - matzo ball and chicken soup, few bites "passover onion roll" (it wasn't very good, so I stopped), banana, glass of milk

Took a nice 3.5 mile walk by the lake with the boy after breakfast. About 12000 steps for the day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Yesterday, Monday, fell apart food-wise. I got some more bad and scary news about my mom's health and let emotions and PMS take over. Ate a bunch of chocolate and too many macaroons and not quite meals. I also didn't do my exercise. So, I guess that was my weekday S day on both fronts.

I did do 20 minutes weights this morning. I didn't just sit around for more than a few minutes and that was all the time I had. Getting in more is going to be very, very challenging today. It's raining out so I can't take a midday walk and have plans tonight. I'm working on it, though. I'm also off to a fine start on food today and expect to finish as planned.

Julie

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm sorry about your mom's health. That doesn't sound good.
Good work on the exercise, though and starting this day out well.
Take care, Liz
Liz

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:38 am

Aging parents...so hard....hang in there.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 am

Just popped in to wish you a Happy BELATED Birthday!

.... just read about your Mom and to say thinking of you and yours.

Hope she will be on the mend soon, hon.
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. And, yep, it is hard.

But, the good news is yesterday, Tuesday, was a SUCCESS!

B - piece of matzo with butter, banana
L - matzo ball and chicken soup, piece and a half of matzo with chopped liver, charoset
D - baked eggplant parm (with matzo meal instead of bread crumbs -- worked fine), grapes

Didn't quite do as much exercise as I'd usually call okay, but I'm still calling it a success for effort. I did do 20 minutes of weights/crunches in the morning, and got in 20 flights of stairs by forcing some extra up and down plus doing a couple of flights just before bed, plus made an effort to walk the long way around the building. Still was less than 6K steps for the day, but as good as I could do.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:42 am

It's early, but I'm going to go ahead and call it a SUCCESS.

B - greek yogurt with walnuts, banana, and honey
L - 2 pieces matzo -- 1 with butter, 1 with nice blue cheese, 2 handfuls dried fruit and nut mix, strawberries
D - leftover baked eggplant parm, charoset (apples and honey)

Did the 2 mile WATP + this morning and expect to be just over 10K for the day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Yesterday included a planned S event, but was a SUCCESS in that I kept it very controlled and didn't let it bleed to other parts of the day at all. It was opening night at the theatre and this is the first time I have kept the S just to the donor dinner. I feel good about it all.

B - yogurt with nuts and banana and honey
L - matzo ball and chicken soup, 2 pieces matzo -- 1.5 with butter, .5 with the good blue cheese, strawberries
D - green salad with slice of fresh bread, saffron roasted chicken with farro and carrots, lemon tart, glass of wine

Did the 2 mile WATP + plus a bunch of additional moving around during the day for about 13500 steps for the day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:47 am

Friday, SUCCESS. I kept both emotional eating and not really full enough from my not really great lunch or dinner hunger at bay. It's really been a struggle not to give in today and I'm proud of myself for that.

B - yogurt with nuts, banana, honey (one more day and I can go back to my cereal)
L - 2 pieces of matzo with butter and cream cheese, charoset
D - baked potato with butter and sour cream, charoset (one more serving to go at lunch tomorrow and I'll finally finish what I made -- next year: make less!), 6 small pitted dates

Just about to get to my 10K step mark for the day. I took a fairly short evening walk to get the last 2K or so in. The rest have been from my active day of cleaning the apartment, grocery shopping, laundry, etc..

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Saturday, SUCCESS (My first S day was Monday this week). Although high calorie and fat today. Made it easier to stick to it, though. :)

B - yogurt with honey, nuts, banana
L - matzo brei, frozen strawberry bar
D - (out, with friends, breaking passover) 2 slices stuffed pizza, green salad lightly dressed

Did about 9500 steps for the day, although technically my off day. It was all with people for transportation, which can count, but I don't want to let it for the sake of habit (and I guess calorie burning). Will probably do something very similar today as my official exercise. Seems I have finally really gotten the exercise thing under control, which is amazing and, frankly, rather unbelievable. I never thought I could or would and that means there's hope for the food part of things. :) It's only been two weeks, but I think my mod on which days are S days is actually working.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Sunday, S-DAY. Feels like way too much, but I realize was pretty much a normal day a year or two ago. So, that's something at least. And it's an S Day so I can't fail, also good.

B - (out, with the boy) french toast with maple syrup and a decent serving of strawberries, blueberries, and sliced banana, glass of orange juice
S - large (and wonderful!) bakery whoopie pie
S - 2 frozen fun size snickers
D - (take out, with a friend) bbq pork noodle soup, small servings of chicken and string beans and mongolian beef (with carrots for some reason), both with brown rice, 1 small chocolate dipped macaroon, 1 hershey kiss

Took a nice walk in the sun plus a little walking for transportation and hit my 10K steps.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 am

Monday, SUCCESS.

L - lean cuisine spring rolls with sour cream, large handful of the fruit nut mix I've been eating (the last of it)
D - pan cooked sirloin steak cooked with a little butter and olive oil, baked potato with butter and bbq sauce, 4 small pitted dates

Did the 3 mile WATP + this morning. Thought I'd start out the week strong. :)

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Yesterday, Tuesday, ended up being my weekday S Day because a co-worker brought me a belated birthday cupcake that she had made. I ended up being out of control with afternoon chocolate, though. I am noticing now that I have the S days split, they've gotten way out of control all of a sudden again. Still, it's probably better to do it like that and truly keep it to the two days a week then have them more tame, but keep having fails. I'm thinking that with some real time, they'll calm back down rather naturally too.

B - grape nuts with milk and banana
S - the homemade (and lovely) cupcake
L - small steak sandwich, chips
S - (I'm embarrassed to admit this one) 2 snickers bars, 2 small handfuls of peanut m&ms
D - slice of ny style pepperoni pizza

Official day off on exercise, but still about 7500 steps for the day. Clearly, my daily movement has increased, which is excellent.

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 am

I have been floating my S days too with mixed results. In March I ended up with 7 S days, and none were wild. (There were 9 weekend days in March.)

This month I am more challenged. I used up my 2 S days earlier in the week and then I am feeling tempted later in the week. Part of the difference is that I have had more challenges to my routine this month. Like you, the ongoing birthday celebrations were part of it.

I plan on staying with the floating S days. Most of the people I spend time with are retired and are more apt to schedule events during the week. I hope to be retired soon too and feel this will work best.

PS. Happy Birthday!
Last edited by r.jean on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:16 am

Hi, Jean. I'm requiring one of my S days to be a weekend to help with that possible problem of using them both early in the week and then giving up over the weekend. It's the same rule I've been using successfully for exercise the last few months so hoped it might work with the eating part of things too. Time will tell I guess.

Today, Wednesday (right?), SUCCESS!

B - bagel with cream cheese
L - tuna and cheddar on rye, doritos, small mandarin
D - large serving of oatmeal with a little milk and sugar, strawberries

I have to get almost 2K more steps in today, but I'll make it happen. Plus 15-20 minutes of upper body weights to come.

Julie

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:45 am

Popping in to say Hi!
Hope things are going ok with your mom. I have been taking care of my mom a lot lately she has not been well either. You sound like you are doing well with it all.
My mom was a theater chick too! She was an actress and set designer, and did costumes ay one point too.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:23 am

Keeping one S day on the weekend is a good plan, and this week was the first time I had two during the week. This was because of my birthday so I am contemplating just taking a third S day if I need it. After all, before I started floating the days, I would have had an extra S day for a special day that fell during the week. We will see how it goes.

You are doing so fabulous on the exercise. It really makes a difference, doesn't it?!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:13 am

Thanks for popping in snapdragon. It's hard dealing with aging parents, isn't it?

Jean, I did take a third S day my birthday week. My birthday itself was in addition to my regular two. It seemed only fair to me.

Today, Thursday, SUCCESS!

L - (out, with a colleague) prawns burrito, tortilla chips and salsa
D - greek yogurt with touch of sugar and strawberries, slice multigrain toast with cream cheese

Ended up only getting to about 8500 steps yesterday, but took a 40 minute after work walk today and should get to about 11,500 and make up the difference today. Upper body weights also to come tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:01 am

Friday, I caved and had an ice cream cone after dinner with a friend. It was really good and I gave in to her suggestion. So I'm calling yesterday my second S day of the week and keeping both weekend days N days. I'd really like dessert right now -- like really -- but I'm going to stay strong, focus on the bigger goals, and resist. Neither day was especially healthy eating, but officially fine except for yesterday's ice cream.

Friday food:
L - (out, work meeting) greek salad topped with gyros meat, piece of pita bread, strawberries
D - (out, with a friend) cheeseburger and fries
S - kid size soft serve vanilla ice cream cone (really good ice cream -- it was definitely enjoyed)

Saturday food:
L - pepperoni pizza, frozen strawberry bar
D - nachos (just chips with cheese, olives, sour cream, salsa), pitted dates

Today's my official weekend day off of exercise. I did also take yesterday off. My body was really tired and sore and I felt like I honestly and legitimately needed it. I did still get to 8000 steps so it wasn't all that inactive. Today's lighter, but I did do some light gardening plus vacuuming and grocery shopping. I'm going hiking tomorrow so it should be an easy getting in my exercise day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:28 am

Well, that didn't work. I gave in to the chocolate. Ugh. Oh well. At least it wasn't that much. And I'm cut off pretty quickly.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:10 am

Kid size soft serve vanilla cone? That barely counts. I agree that it was an S day because of that, but I can understand the slip up the next day.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:47 am

Thanks. :)

Today, Sunday, SUCCESS.

B - greek yogurt with granola and strawberries, 1.5 pieces buttered rye toast
L - grapes
D -(out) wonton soup, mongolian beef, shrimp in lobster sauce, white rice (and a bite of the fortune cookie to appease the "your luck will be lost if you don't eat it" mantra -- I'm still calling the day a success despite this)

I might also still have a glass of milk that I'd essentially consider to be part of lunch not eaten given the lack of food there. The schedule was a little wonky today.

Went hiking today and got in a nice workout. At almost 17K steps for the day and decent chunks of the hike involved hills and uneven surfaces so my whole body was working. I did really notice that I am in better shape now than 6 months ago -- I could truly feel the difference, which was a great realization!

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:02 am

Fantastic!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:31 am

Monday, SUCCESS.

L (work event) - dressed green salad, chicken salad with grapes and walnuts, few slices french bread, pineapple (I did not have any of the chocolate cake!)
D (hodgepodge, timing didn't end up working well for getting around to a real meal) - chunk of sourdough bread with butter, grapes, pretzels

Official weekday day off of exercise.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:37 pm

Yesterday, Tuesday, ended up being my weekday S day. It was again over the top, but at least I thought about it a little more while I was doing it. It's funny how changing the system up has pushed me back to that issue. I really don't feel worried about it, though. I still think 2 over the top days are better than 2 moderate and 1 failure day since I'm sure with a little time I'll get these back in order. I still feel a lot more in control. I kind of feel like I've finally found the secret for myself.

B - cereal with milk
S - piece of homemade coffee cake, 1/2 large homemade chocolate chip cookie
L - cheese and avocado on sourdough sandwich, chips
S - another large piece of coffee cake
D - 2 thick slices sourdough bread -- 1 with cream cheese, 1 with butter and cream cheese, 1/2 serving cardamom ice cream

I took a couple short walks and did enough random walking around to get to my 10K steps, plus did 15 minutes upper body weights.

Julie

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Julie:
I'm happy for you that you have found what works for you.
That sounds like a delightful S day sans mindless eating.
What I strive for are more days like those...enjoyed homemade goodness and no snacking.
Take care.
Liz

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 am

Thanks, Liz.

Today, Wednesday, SUCCESS!

L - squash, pear, and pancetta panini, lightly dressed green salad with flatbread crackers, mandarin
D - chicken breast with goat cheese (a great and easy barefoot contessa recipe I tried for the first time), olives, strawberries

As is pretty common, I'd really like dessert. But I'm not having any and will feel better and happier for it.

Did the 2 mile WATP + this morning.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 am

I ended up taking what I guess I'm calling my second S Day on Thursday. I'm pretty annoyed with myself because it was impulsive and included nonsense. And I'd said I'd keep it to one weekday and one weekend, but I guess I'm better off accepting the flexibility. It does also feel like a much bigger sacrifice to not be able to have any weekend treats.

Tuesday was a choice and I felt good about it as an S day even though it had way too many sweets in it; Thursday actually included fewer sweets, but they were less good and much less deliberate. I've spent the last couple days on track, but debating whether or not this is a system that can actually work for me. I want to lose weight and I'm not. The question is whether I should stick with it and keep working on habits hoping and assuming I'll eventually get to the weight and be better for it or if I need to just move on to greater sacrifice and counting and try to really lose some weight. Or, maybe I stick with this structure and lack of real counting, but work harder on making all or nearly all meals healthy and light. Is that really any better or easier than counting, though? I think probably not. I'm not sure that I'm decided, but, for the moment at least, am continuing along here as planned.

For my memory and record:

Thursday - S Day
L - leftover chicken with goat cheese (I'd brought things to go with this, but didn't eat them -- clearly part of the slide to the snacking and sweet eating)
S - handful mixed nuts, 2 hershey kisses
S - nice brownie, 4 bite size mediocre butter cookies, bite of dark chocolate
D - I can't seem to remember, but it was fine

I took a few short walks and moved around a lot at work getting to 11,500 steps for the day, plus 15 minutes of weights.

Friday - SUCCESS
L - largish slice of 4 cheese pizza, grapes
D - (out) samosa, chicken korma with white rice, few bites of lamb, piece of garlic naan

2 mile WATP + in the morning plus a decent amount of walking for transportation in the evening. 15K steps for the day.

Saturday - SUCCESS
L - salami and mozzarella on ciabatta, tortilla chips, pickle, strawberries
D - (take out) 6 small crab rangoon, small serving of general tsao's chicken with white rice

Off for the day on exercise. Will probably do about 7K steps for the day.

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:49 am

I hope to see you here and hope you stick with no S even if you add another plan as well. You could calorie count for awhile just to get an idea of how many calories you are consuming and whether this is the problem. You seem to be doing pretty well, and your exercise has been up. You seem successful in establishing your habits. Good luck whatever you choose!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:41 am

Thanks, Jean, I appreciate it. Somethings I've been realizing:
*I am decidedly healthier and stronger than I was a year or two ago
*I really have gotten exercise pretty well under control and feel really proud of myself for that accomplishment
*I basically never let a failure extend into a second day anymore, and rarely let it extend beyond the period of the day it happened in
*I am eating consistently better meals than I was a year or two ago
*I've made this modification to when I take my S days in the last month. It has given me greater control over potential failures. I likely need more than a month to get them in control and when I do I'll likely see greater weight loss results.
*I do need to think more and be more careful about choosing healthy and lower calorie options to lose weight, but for an overall healthy life (in every way) that can't be every meal.

So, I'm planning to keep these things in mind and keep at it and re-assess in another couple months.

Today was a SUCCESS, essentially. I did have 8 ounces of ginger ale late afternoon, but a few hours before that my boyfriend broke up with me. I didn't succumb to a pile of sweets, or any really. I did help myself get through the afternoon with the minor treat of the ginger ale. Given the circumstances, I feel very pleased with myself. I also didn't quite get my exercise in, but I did come home from his place and take a 20 minute walk (again, rather than succumbing to the ice cream and curling up in a ball plan that I really wanted). It'll probably only be 7500 steps for the day, but I'm giving myself a pass on forcing the rest for tonight.

B - oatmeal with a little milk and sugar
L - leftover general tso's chicken and rice, strawberries
D - (ginger ale just before), toasted and buttered bagel, 1/2 potato worth of pan fried potatoes with ketchup, couple pieces dried fruit

Julie

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:54 pm

I'm REALLY sorry about your day yesterday. You handled it well without using food.

I like how you looked at all the positive changes you have made in your life since last year. That's awesome! I think I will do the same!

Take care and good luck this week.
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:11 am

So sorry for what happened yesterday but good for you for not letting it trip you up! I learned a lot reading your thoughts about what you've learned on No-S, thanks for sharing it. Hang in there!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat May 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks, ladies! I'm fine and have been fine this week. I've been going the calorie counting route through fitbit. I already use fitbit to track and measure my movement and based on that, plus the info I gave it on my weight, goals, and tolerance/preference for loss speed, it creates a calorie requirement for me. I've kept to it all week -- and that did include a sweet each day. I'm going to try this for a few weeks and see how things go. I'm thinking it might be better while I'm in loss mode. Perhaps, I could then move back to this for eventual maintenance. Or perhaps I'll do this for a few weeks to get a sense of things and then just switch myself back to No-S.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi everyone (or anyone, who happens to be reading)! I just wanted to check in quickly and say that I'm doing well on the calorie counting route. Will I do this for my whole life? I doubt it. But I think it's what I need for weight loss. I'm still going slow, and not being drastic because I think change has to come that way to stick. And because I'm not willing to give up having treats and being able to eat out or have the occasional drink. And I'm only 5' tall so either I give those things up completely or go slow with weight loss. :) I have lost about 5 pounds since I was last here. In the midst of that, the struggles with my mom's health ended and she died. As I think reasonable, I had a few weeks of not paying too much attention to "food rules" and gained a few pounds back that I then had to re-lose slowing me down a little. But that's what'll happen in life and that's okay with me as long as I keep it contained.

Having spent a decent chunk of time re-learning how to eat with No-s is definitely still helping me. And I expect it'll be the foundation forever now and I'm really glad for that. There have definitely been some days that I haven't been proud of what I've eaten and I have been eating a sweet pretty much every day (which I'd eventually like to rein in some), but the foundation of meals is very much there. So is regular exercise. I never imagined I'd get there, but it's pretty ingrained these days. I still often don't really feel like it, but I almost always do it anyways. And sometimes I do feel like it. And I've amazingly learned to use it to help cope with stress.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good.
Julie

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:21 am

Hi thtrchic,

So sorry to hear about your mom! Please accept my sincere condolences.

Glad to see you back posting on the boards. Missed you!!

Also great to hear that you are doing well on the calorie counting route and have stayed with it since May. Well done :) I, too, have been trying a slightly different tack - rejoined my local slimming club for some added support (something I originally said I would never do but unfortunately, FOR ME personally, No S on its own wasn't leading to any weight losses. I think that was in (BIG) part due to my S Days being 'generous' as well as a few other factors. However, I still consider myself a No S-er (hopefully for life!) and I still follow the priniciples of the plan. Even though I'm attending a diet club, this is only to reinforce my willpower and give me a few ideas of where I might have been going astray previously etc. I credit No S with helping me to stick with the club too. I fully intend to stop going to the club in a few months' time once I have the new habits engrained in my mind. What will happen after that remains to be seen. I hope I can keep it up on my own. However, if all else fails at least I have my trusty No S plan and this board to keep me on the straight and narrow. Not to sound negative, but it could be that I may gain some - all - of the weight back as I have been a lot stricter on myself and chances are this could be difficult to keep up long term but I am not fretting about it like I might have done when I was younger and weight obsessed. Perhaps I'm just trying to be realistic and if it does go well for me, then that is a bonus. Have a good weekend, Julie and take care! :)
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks. I appreciate it. And good to hear from you. I'm glad to see you doing well and feeling good. Not obsessing seems like a very good choice!

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:58 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss, but good to hear from you.

I have been away from regular posting as well due to some bumps in the road that have upset my routine.

Like you I have maintained certain habits while failing in other areas. No S continues to be the plan for me even though I have been on a furlough of sorts.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:48 am

Thanks, Jean. And I'm glad you're hanging in -- at least somewhat. Not giving up is the critical thing.

Julie