Katie's Getting Back on the Wagon

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Anoulie

Katie's Getting Back on the Wagon

Post by Anoulie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been following the No S Diet (Vanilla) since the end of September '09, and after the first day, when I forgot about No S and popped some pretzels into my mouth, I haven't had any failures, and hardly any NWK S days.
Until last summer, that is. I started feeling unhappy with the restrictions No S imposed on my life - I couldn't have ice cream at a café with my family on weekdays, for example - and with the way my S days were going, so I decided to do some mods. I'd allow myself three S events per week, but no more S days. It worked well for a few weeks, but then three events per week just weren't enough. So I changed it to six, but that just led to me getting used to something sweet every day of the week - it was a slippery slope, and I hated it.
So I wasn't sure what to do... I experimented with different versions of No S over the past two or three weeks, which just led to more and more failures. Now, I am determined to return to Vanilla No S. It worked well for me for over nine months, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

I'll be writing about my progress (or lack thereof) in this thread here.

Ah, right, some data: I'm female, 17 years old, 5'2", and I weighed 121 lb when I started this in September '09. My goal weight was 110 lb, which I reached by Christmas. I even went down to 98.5 lb once, but that was way too much. I was happy with weighing around 105 lb on average. I haven't weighed myself yet after all this chaos of the past few weeks, but I will now.

I'll be right back...

- Katie

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:49 pm

112 lb. :?

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:17 pm

DAY 1: SUCCESS

Today... could have been worse. I found ways to distract myself before/after dinner (I woke up at 3 pm - don't judge me - so i just had dinner), which was a salami sandwich, a banana, and some whole milk.
I also drank a lot of watered-down orange juice today (1:2 to 1:3).

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:15 am

Hey Katie. Welcome back. I know you'll get right back on track. How are things with you?
Denise
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:51 am

Hi there Katie!

Well, I can certainly relate to you and will be doing the exact same thing as you - getting used to vanilla again. I've been having something sweet almost every day. I would love to get my weight down to where you have it as I'm the same height as you. I have no trouble maintaining but for the life of me cannot lose! I am 120 lbs. You are an inspiration. I'll be sure to keep up on your updates. Welcome back :)

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Katie,

Welcome back (although I feel weird writing that since I just got here a few weeks ago). Thank you for sharing your challenges; they are a helpful point of reference to me as I become familiar with this lifestyle. I am looking forward to witnessing your continued success on the program.

Barbara
Last edited by sidney202 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:37 am

Thank you so much, everyone! :)

DAY 2: SUCCESS

Wow, this is actually a lot harder than when I first started No S. Curious.
BUT I made Brownies yesterday, and didn't lick a single drop of chocolate off my fingers :)
I had a scrambled egg on a slice of whole wheat bread with some walnuts and a banana for lunch (no breakfast if you sleep in :wink: ) and a salami sandwich with some more walnuts and yet another banana for dinner. I'm so boring... :P

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:27 pm

DAY 3: SUCCESS + S

For lunch: Same as yesterday's dinner (on different bread)
For dinner: two hot dogs and an apple

Today... was not so good. It was fine until mid-way through dinner, when I had finished half of my apple and felt full - I kept eating.

And when my brother offered me part of his chocolate Santa Claus, I accepted it, and then I shared the box of chocolates my grandma had given me with my mom. It's an S day, i. e. not a failure, but I would have felt better if I hadn't eaten anything. Meh. :?

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:24 pm

As far as excess goes, that really doesn't sound too bad! I hear you, though, on how it doesn't feel good and you'd rather just avoid that overfull feeling altogether.

Just wondering, how much exercise do you incorporate, if any?

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:26 am

I didn't even full overfull after the chocolates, but I would have preferred not to have eaten anything after dinner, to keep it N.

Anyway.

Day 4 and 5: S days

Saturday - I ate too much. I didn't have anything to do all day, so I permasnacked. Not good.
Sunday was a lot better. I still ate a lot, but less overall, and better stuff, too. Yay!

EDIT: Oh, and no exercise in particular. Just some Urban Rangering (i. e. I walk whenever possible).

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:23 am

Day 6: SUCCESS

Today was a little difficult, too, but it gets easier every day :)

I even had breakfast today (for some reason, I got up at 7:40 am in spite of winter break), lunch was more than one vertical layer, but a) pancakes, and b) a tiny plate, so I'm counting it as a success :P (it fit on one plate and didn't look too full, so...). With homemade applesauce. Just apples and some hot water. Yummy! Breakfast and dinner were the usual sandwich + fruit combo.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Anoulie wrote:BUT I made Brownies yesterday, and didn't lick a single drop of chocolate off my fingers :)
I was going to post pictures! I almost forgot, but here they are now:

prior to decorating (the chocolate on top hadn't even dried yet)

the finished product

Day 7 (although it is not over yet): SUCCESS

Woke up late and had a sandwich and a banana for breakfast/lunch. Dinner will probably be spaghetti & fish. :)

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm thinking about adding a mod next year... what do you think?

- have a "glass ceiling" of two snacks/sweets per day
- no seconds
- no S days on weekends
- two floating S days per month

I think this would work well with my current lifestyle... and I'd feel like more of a normal person, but I'd still have the structure of No S. Opinions?

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Well Katie, maybe you should take a look at your original thoughts about returning to Vanilla.
You posted that making mods was a slippery slope for you. You said that it led to more and more failures and your success lied in plain old vanilla No S. Now, I totally understand the issues you describe. Maybe it’s something you need to consider if it really affects your life. But maybe also decide whether some of the time you can just declare it a NWS day and the other days you want to share in the eating fun just grin and bear it! I guess only you know how much you can take without compromising habit and introducing ambiguity. I know I have tried COUNTLESS times to make mods. I had to get my boyfriend on board to keep me in line. We actually got into fights because I would be so hell-bent on changing the rules, and he had to be the “bad guy†in reminding me why I shouldn’t. There are days I still struggle with trying to decide exactly what you are considering but as of now I think my habit needs structure. You are close to a weight you are happy with so that may, or may not, allow for some wiggle room.

Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted! :)

By the way your dessert looked amazing....drooling over here ;)

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:52 pm

I know, Sinnie... but I don't think I can do Vanilla for all of my life, either. It means I can't have some ice cream at a café with my friends during the week in summer, or cake at a birthday party, or...
I thought I had resolved this issue with my six S events per week, but as it turns out, I got used to my almost-daily indulgences and didn't save them for social occasions as I had planned.
I feel that maybe with the glass ceiling I can work this out. It doesn't mean I am obliged to two S events per day (14 S events per week - that's way too much :shock: ) but that I am entitled. And I won't keep searching the house for treats like I used to do on Vanilla S days or when I had a spare S event, but I will stick to my three meals a day unless there's a special occasion (social events or when we happen to have some special treat in the house).

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 pm

You clearly have willpower as evidenced by your stellar performance on No S last year. As a result, I think it's possible you could make a glass ceiling on snacks/sweets work. You were able to maintain your weight while having those six S events per week, so if you draw the line at what you've stated, it could be realistic for you. Do keep in mind that you CAN have a piece of cake at a birthday (special occasion) but as you stated, ice cream at a cafe without a special occasion, according to vanilla, wouldn't be allowed. If you truly feel vanilla is too restrictive for the rest of your life, perhaps try the mod you are thinking of and treat it as strictly as you did vanilla before.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:26 pm

And if I keep blogging here, and with the help of my diet twin, I'll make it work :)

Day 8: SUCCESS

This is getting easier every day. Breakfast was an apple and a two slices of bread (mixed-grain bread? I'm not sure what to call it... this is what it looks like:)

With mortadella.

And tortellini for lunch.

And two slices of toast plus salami plus a tangerine for dinner.

That was easy.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:09 pm

I love having a diet twin!! LOL

I'm finding this is getting easier and easier as well. It's really motivating for me to see how well you're doing, and I think about blogging when any food calls my name ;) Luckily, this hasn't been much of an issue.

Katie, can you tell me roughly how big your portions are? For example, the tortellini you had for lunch - 1 cup? More? Less?

How often are you going to weigh in?

Thanks! :D

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:30 am

Haha, I could tell you how big my tortellini portion was, but it was way too much (I didn't want to leave an ounce or so in the bag, so I made it all, and it fit on my plate, so I ate it all) - 5 ounces (when dry). Way too much, I tell you. I felt stuffed.

Today, I had a scrambled egg (okay, I'm not sure if it was exactly one egg; my mom just made a bunch and I took some) on a small slice of toast with some diced apple and orange ("fruit salad") and watered-down orange juice (again 1:2 or 1:3).

I weighed in this morning (I do it roughly once a week, to answer your question), and found I had gained almost a pound (112.87 lb - my scale is not that precise, but it measures in kilogramm so when I convert the weight to pounds, it's usually some odd number like the above; for comparison, it was 112.22 lb last week).

So I shall continue with the diet and maybe add a tweak or two - the aforementioned orange juice/water mix instead of whole milk, less butter, less sodium, more fruit, more fluids in general.

And I'm now stating my mod for future reference:
- there are no S days with unconditional permission to eat on weekends
- I may have snacks, sweets, or seconds ("S events"), on any day of the week (up to two on any given day)
- these do not roll over to the next day
- I may not have any of these just because I'm bored or feel like having something, but there has to be a valid reason
- possible reasons include, but are not limited to, social occasions (birthday parties, ice cream with friends, YFU* events), stress, anxiety, the opportunity to have a rare and/or special treat (such as my mom bringing home donuts from work, which happens less than once a month)

- I may, but am not obliged to have, two floating S days a month
- these may not be used as excuses for failures, but there has to be a valid reason
- possible reasons include social occasions where there is a lot of snacking involved (raclette etc.) or very special occasions (like a wedding), but not birthdays or Christmas, or YFU events where everyone is snacking on candy and I feel like I have to join in
- these do not roll over into the next month either

*YFU = Youth for Understanding, the student exchange organization I volunteer for (http://yfu.org/)

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Well at least you make me feel better knowing I am not the only one who over does it with the pasta sometimes (I also hate leaving a little bit in the bag)!

Your mod sounds reasonable. I can't allow myself permission to go hog wild on the weekends, or I really can gain weight and undo all my week's work. I see what you mean about ensuring your life is still "normal". My boyfriend says that to me all the time. Is it appropriate to eat at that time? Will it be socially weird if I don't? Or am I using this as an excuse? Those questions help me determine when to have an S. So in a sense, I'm doing your mod as well.

You mention stress and anxiety. I tend to get stressed easily and used to turn to food a lot. How do you handle that? Do you allow yourself something for comfort?

Good luck!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Anoulie wrote: Now: 112.87 lb

I'm now stating my mod for future reference:

- there are no S days with unconditional permission to eat on weekends

- I may have snacks, sweets, or seconds ("S events"),
on any day of the week (up to two on any given day)
- these do not roll over to the next day

- I may not have any of these just because I'm bored or feel like having something,

but there has to be a valid reason

- possible reasons include, but are not limited to,
social occasions (birthday parties, ice cream with friends, events, stress, anxiety,
the opportunity to have a rare and/or special treat.

- I may, but am not obliged to have, two floating S days a month

- these may not be used as excuses for failures, but there has to be a valid reason

- possible reasons include social occasions where there is a lot of snacking involved,
or very special occasions (like a wedding), but not birthdays or Christmas,
or events where everyone is snacking on candy and I feel like I have to join in

- these do not roll over into the next month either
Your personal modifications sound like a reasonable way of eating. Image
However, bear in mind that the more conscious daily decisions required,
the more difficult it is to build unconcious "regular" eating Habits.
Time will let you know how effective it is for you.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:54 pm

I know, BrightAngel, but I think I'll be able to handle it. The default is three meals a day and nothing else, so I hope I won't be searching the house for treats all day like I used to do when I was doing x S events per week and still had some left.

Sinnie, thanks for those questions!
Is it appropriate to eat at that time?
Will it be socially weird if I don't? Or am I using this as an excuse?
Is it impolite to say "no" now? How much effort has the person put in?
Am I hungry? Am I full?
Is this something I would really enjoy, or do I just want something sweet?

By the way, lunch was a bread roll with six "köttbullar" (Swedish meatballs) and an apple and some more glasses of my default beverage. Yummy.

Dinner is TBD, as I'm spending the night (the next few days, actually) at a friend's house.

Tomorrow night will be an S night (I'll eat N until the party starts) since it's New Year's and we'll have raclette and chocolate fondue.

Sharpie

Post by Sharpie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:28 pm

I have enjoyed reading your check in, and it sounds like you have a reasonable system in place! I hope I can emulate your commitment.

I wonder about the socially 'weird' part though- I have found that with the exception of actual social meals, as in, "getting together with the express purpose of going and eating," there are very few times that other people even notice if someone does or doesn't eat. One of my friends often eats at home with her SO, and just has some tea when she comes out to 'eat' with us. Even that isn't weird. So long as she is happy and socializing, none of us feel bad about stuffing our faces or worry that she's going to starve. :lol: So, I know for me, it would wind up with me using 'weirdness' as an excuse to justify eating Ss when I didn't actually 'need' to and just wanted to instead.
"If you only do what you know you can do, you never do very much.†-Tom Krause

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 pm

So... I'm back.

Let's see...

DAY 9: SUCCESS
On Thursday (when I said dinner was TBD), dinner was a bread roll with salami and an apple.

DAY 10: SUCCESS + S
Breakfast on Friday was a whole wheat bread roll with mortadella and an apple. I didn't have lunch on Friday. Then in the evening (S evening), I had a couple of potatoes, some meat, tomatoes, and later, some pretzels and chocolate.

DAY 11: SUCCESS
On Saturday, I was feeling kind of sick, and only ate a cherry yogurt (let's call that dinner) just so I wouldn't faint.

DAY 12: SUCCESS
Today, I had a slice of toast with mortadella and an apple for lunch, and my first S event on this plan so far - some plain milk chocolate with a mug of whole milk. For psychological reasons.
Dinner was pasta with chicken breast and a banana. I only ate about half, though.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:35 pm

I weighed in this morning and only weighed 108.69 lb! Being sick does have its perks :wink:

DAY 13: SUCCESS + S
Lunch was a slice of bread with a fried egg and an apple (can you tell I like apples?)
Dinner was two slices of bread with mortadella and half a banana and some whole milk.
I had an S event after dinner - my mom had a couple of chocolates (really love this kind) and gave us one each. Yummy! That's why I love this plan :)

School starts again on Thursday... I hope that will go well. I usually eat breakfast at 9:30 am, and then I have to wait until 4:15 pm or so to have lunch (on most weekdays, that is). That's a long time... but it worked when I was on Vanilla, too, so it should be fine.
Last edited by Anoulie on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:39 pm

It sounds like you are doing great! Hope you are feeling better too.

I just got back to work today after Christmas holidays and I have to get used to the old schedule. I leave home at 6:30 and have to eat early to around 7:30 when I'm at work. Lunch is early at 11:40 which makes my whole day shifted. If I have a late dinner, it's a looooong wait.

I'm sure you will do great just like last time you did vanilla :)

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Day 14: SUCCESS + S

Today, I finally had breakfast again, at 9:30 am. It was a bowl of cornflakes (the plain kind, without frosting or any of that gross stuff) with whole milk and a banana. Required some virtual plating, but I don't think I overate.
This was kind of a test for school, because I went to a meeting of my student newspaper at 1 pm (where I had an S, a chocolate milkshake), then ran some errands, and returned at the same time I usually return from school. I felt kind of queasy by the time I was home (4:25 pm), but then I had a bread roll with salami and an apple and some watered down apple/berry/whatever juice (100 % juice, no sugar added). Then I felt too full because I drank too much :?
Anyway, dinner is TBD - maybe I'll actually get a warm meal this time :P

EDIT: Nope. Bread roll, salami (pork this time, though, instead of poultry), and a banana (that was only semi-ripe).

In case anyone's wondering why I only eat bread and the occasional fried egg - it's winter break 8) so my family's eating schedule is kind of messed up. I'll get warm lunches when school starts again :)

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Day 15: SUCCESS (maybe even without an S today)

Breakfast was two slices of toast with salami and a banana and 1.5 % fat milk. Lunch was something warm :lol: Meatballs, mashed potatoes and an apple. Dinner - who knows?
No S yet, and I don't think I will have one today.

Weighed in at exactly 110 lb today. Yay :)

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Good for you! That's awesome!!! :D Funny, I had meatballs and mashed potatoes yesterday, too.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:23 pm

O.o Dinner was weird. My mom made tortellini, so I set the table, called the others and then got up to get an apple... while I was gone, my dad and brothers helped themselves to tortellini, so when I came back, there were like six left (I may or may not be exaggerating here). So my plate turned out to be part apple, part tortellini, and part - salami sandwich. :?

But yay, I actually didn't have an S today - and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

We'll see what tomorrow'll be like... school ends at 3:10 pm as usual, so I would normally take the bus at 3:40 pm, and be home to eat by 4:20 pm or so. But tomorrow, I'm studying for English with a classmate after school - not sure how long that'll take, but I'm positive I'd be starving by the time I'd get home. My plan is to pack an apple (how surprising) in addition to the banana and sandwich that I'm taking to school for breakfast. Then after school, I can go buy something in the city - I'm planning on this:

It's cheap (about $ 2), hot, and - especially virtually plated with the apple - filling.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:56 am

Yum! Oddly enough, I had that for dinner tonight. Good luck back at school tomorrow.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:43 am

:shock: The roads are slippery - no school today.

EDIT: Day 16: SUCCESS + S

Since there was no school today, I had the sandwich my mom prepared for me (yeah, I'm a big baby :lol: ) with an apple around 10 am at home. I had some 1.5 % milk along with it.
Before lunch, I discovered some of my favorite ice cream in the freezer, so I had one :)

Do you have that in the US? It's vanilla ice cream covered with milk chocolate and almond splinters - yummy!
Anyway, I had four cevapcici and six croquettes (are these common in the US?) and the usual apple for lunch, and some apple/cherry juice mixed with water.

Image cevapcici

Image croquettes

Dinner is TBD.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Ooooh you are making me drool...my lunch isn't nearly as good! Where are you from again?! My mom makes cevapcici! I looove them. I don't know what country those originated from, but we are Slovenian (very small country in Europe).

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 pm

I live in Germany.

Dinner was - surprise, surprise - toast with salami and a banana and 1.5 % fat milk.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Day 17: SUCCESS

Today, I actually went to school again for the first time in three weeks. I had breakfast at 8:45 am instead of 9:30 am (so in the 5-minute break instead of the 15-minute one); it was a salami sandwich and half an apple (only half because I didn't have enough time to finish it), with sparkling water. I had it earlier because I was pretty hungry and I knew I'd get home earlier than usual so I could have lunch earlier, too. :)
I thought about buying a waffle from the cafeteria, but then I didn't, because there was no real reason to do so - sure, I haven't had one in a while, but we can get them once a week at school, and I don't consider that "rare". Maybe next week.
Like I said, I came home earlier than usual today (2:20 pm or so), so my mom hadn't made anything for lunch yet. I didn't feel like waiting, so I had a bread roll (fresh! :) ) with salami and a banana and whole milk.
We'll see what happens tonight... I'll have dinner at home, I think, and then go spend the night at a friend's house with another friend. I hope there won't be too much food around - but with my new plan, I can join in and they won't even notice anything (I hope). I just can't act like an idiot and stuff my face :twisted:

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:31 pm

Day 17: SUCCESS + S + S

Yesterday was alright. Lunch was the same as dinner. My friend had a couple of small sandwiches fixed for us, so I ate one to be polite, and later had a fortune cookie so I wouldn't seem weird (although I could have probably said I didn't like them). I just love this plan.

Day 18: SUCCESS + S

We got up at 12 or so, so we didn't have breakfast, and I left at about 2:10 pm, and then had lunch at home (same as yesterday).
I'm thinking about loosening the rules for S events, because I'm not sure whether I can do this "only have S events when there's a valid reason" stuff forever. Maybe I could say, "you may have up to one S event per day for no particular reason on weekends". Not sure...

Yeah, that's what I decided to do. Had one more of those ice creams I had on Thursday. At first I regretted that, but now I think it's fine.

Dinner was yet another bread roll with mortadella and an apple.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Day 19: SUCCESS + S + S

Weighed in at 108.5 lb today.

Woke up too late for breakfast, and then I had about two ounces of my favorite chocolate - it's milk chocolate spotted with white chocolate like a cow!

Lunch was a special kind of pork - kassler - with mashed potatoes and two cherry tomatoes.

My grandma made waffles later, so I had one.

Dinner was rice and fish fingers.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Katie, you're doing so great! I truly admire you dedication to sticking with your plan. I think your idea of an S on the weekend without a "valid reason" is totally reasonable. How do you do it? How do you never let your motivation slip? I need to be like you, but struggle with discipline.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Thank you, Cynthia! I really don't know how I do it, either :wink:
But, you see, bringing up the willpower required for No S (especially vanilla) can make you really proud of yourself when you do it. Sometimes, on Vanilla, I used to tell myself how I was better than all these other people around me who were stuffing their faces with low-quality candy. And I told myself how great this plan was for me and how it made me lose weight and look better and feel better about myself and how (that may not be a healthy attitude) all would be lost if I failed :oops: Anyway, just keep your head high; you can do this!

Day 20: SUCCESS + S

I had a sandwich with mortadella and a banana for breakfast. Lunch was the bento I made yesterday . Later, I had a couple of caramel chocolates because I just received a Christmas package (very late, I know) from a friend of mine.
Dinner was two slices of toast (I would have had the regular, wheat-and-rye bread, but we only had two slices left, and I wanted to save those for tomorrow's breakfast) with salami and an apple. Some milk along with it.

I decided to have milk with only one meal or S event per day. It's just too high-caloric.

And I already have my treats for the next weekend planned out: A pastry I adore, with crumbs and sugar glaze (see below for a picture) and the rest of my spotted chocolate bar.

Last edited by Anoulie on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's only us, there's only this
Forget regret, or life is yours to miss.
No other road, no other way,
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Day 21: SUCCESS + S

I made my own sandwich for breakfast today - I feel so grown up! :lol: It had salami on it, and I also took an apple.
Our French teacher brought some chocolate to school because of Christmas (she had wanted to give it to us before the break, but couldn't because of the Snow Day), so that was my S.
Lunch was rice and some more cevapcici (I ate about half of it with chopsticks 8) ).
Dinner was a scrambled egg, a slice of bread cut in small pieces, and an apple - all (except the apple) eaten with chopsticks! I am so proud of myself!
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Day 22: SUCCESS + S

Breakfast - two slices of bread with mortadella, apple, sparkling water
Lunch - mashed potatoes, mini fried sausages, apple, watered-down fruit juice
S event - ice cream sandwich with nuts that I discovered in the freezer
Dinner - two slices of toast with salami, apple, milk
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Day 23: SUCCESS

Breakfast - a bento (400 ml) with a scrambled pancake, apple sauce, raw carrots, and cherry tomatoes
Lunch - fries and cevapcici
Dinner - two slices of bread with salami and an apple, milk
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey Katie, just curious what time you eat dinner (as I know you mentioned you eat a late lunch)? I think I need to push my dinner later so I don't have as much time to think about snacking between dinner and bed!

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:50 pm

That's right, I do eat a late lunch most days (around 4:20 pm), and I have dinner between 7 and 8 pm, usually - even if I'm not that hungry then :lol: That's essentially boredom eating as well, but since it's a meal, that's fine.

Day 24: FAILURE

Breakfast - yet another bento
Lunch - two pancakes, apple sauce, milk
Dinner - bread roll, salami, banana, two cherry tomatoes, milk

Started grazing around 11:50 pm and now it's 3:30 am and I feel sick. Ugh.
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:48 am

Ugh. I can't believe I did that. I feel so gross physically. Not having breakfast today.
After doing some kind of analysis, I was able to identify the reasons for last night's failure:
- I'd stated I'd only have milk with one meal or S event per day on here, but yesterday, I forgot, and had some with both lunch and dinner.
- I had some 100 % orange juice at the film festival I went to last night. Felt like a failure, too.
- I wasn't sure whether to mark this as a failure or not. I decided marking it a success wouldn't be right, but if I'd mark it as a failure anyway, it had to be "worth it". :?

Day 1: SUCCESS + S

I'm determined to stick to my plan and get 21 days of SUCCESS under my belt.

Breakfast - none (still feeling physically ill)
Lunch - a bento (not sure what to put in it yet, though)
Dinner - TBD, but I'll be eating out
S event (yes, I'm keeping my "S event for no valid reason except I want it on weekends") - the pastry mentioned above
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:21 pm

I hear ya, did the same thing last night. Feeling so gross this morning, and mad at myself. You have such a good record of keeping on track, I know you can easily get to those 21 perfect days. I'll strive for the same.

Have a good day (although I just realized, even though I just woke up, you are across the globe, and I think you're already in the afternoon!)

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Day 1: SUCCESS + S

So, today was...

Breakfast - none (still feeling physically ill)
Lunch - a bento of 580 ml with Japanese rice, cevapcici, cherry tomatoes, carrots, apple
S event - a small chocolate bar (about half an ounce) at this YFU meeting
Dinner - giros (a Greek pork dish) with fries (like, I said, we were eating out, it was so much)

I didn't have my planned treat because I still feel so stuffed.
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:41 am

Day 2: FAILURE

Breakfast - a breadroll with salami, half an apple, watered-down fruit juice
Lunch - breaded and fried chicken breast, potatoes, some left-over rice, an apple, watered-down fruit juice
S event - ice cream for dessert
S event - some cookies with milk as my "it's an S day so I can have an S event for no particular reason" treat
then - FAILURE

Ugh.
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Day 1: SUCCESS

I know I can!

Breakfast - three very small slices of wheat-and-rye bread with mortadella, half an apple, water
Lunch - bento (580 ml) with Japanese rice, four chicken nuggets, a cut-up raw carrot, a cherry tomato (I packed two, but had to throw away one), the other half of the apple mentioned above (diced), water
Dinner - TBD
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:50 pm

This is getting crazy...I failed on Sunday too (forgot to post on my check in that I had 2 snacks and dessert also). Today is much better clearly for the both of us - WE CAN DO IT :)

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Okay, this is seriously weird.

Day 2: FAILURE

Breakfast - two slices of wheat-and-rye bread, salami, three quarters of an apple, water
S event - a classmate offered me a slice of her orange because I'd laid my head down on the table during the five-minute break and must have looked super tired and exhausted (which is how I felt, too), and I accepted
Lunch - bento (580 ml) with Japanese rice, a scrambled egg with diced ham, a quarter of an apple, half a carrot, two cherry tomatoes
S event - Things were just going crazy this afternoon, and I was pretty close to a panic attack, so I started looking for a "Streuselschnecke", my ultimate comfort food, the pastry I mentioned above in the city, but there was not one single bakery selling plain Streuselschnecken :? Filled with cherries or cream, yes, but not the kind I liked... I decided to buy a box (about 5 oz) of the chocolate-covered cookies that are my second favorite S food, and started eating those on the train. About 2/3 in, I noticed I was feeling better and calmer, and I ended up leaving two in the box (I gave them to my mom later). This may not sound like a huge deal to you, but it's a huge accomplishment for me. :)
Dinner - see breakfast, except I had four pickles instead of the apple, and watered-down orange juice with it

Then, I FAILED again. This is getting a habit. Help?
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 pm

What's going on with us, Katie? Over the holidays it was easy as pie and now look! I am assuming here this may be stress-related? You sound like things must be pretty hectic and I assume it's mainly school based stress. I am stressed as well/have a lot going on and somehow intertwine that with food...

Is it possible allowing some sweets into everyday is causing any problems? I don't think that's necessarily it because you handled it spectacularly well prior to the most recent string of failures.

Do we just need to get really strict with the rules again? I don't know..

Sorry, I am no help. In the same boat, nonetheless...

I hope tomorrow is better.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:01 pm

I decided to get back to Vanilla for a while - at least until finals are over (in May).

And on February 9, when I'll have completed my 21 days of Vanilla No S, I'll buy myself a treat. Not food, but something special. Not sure what, though.

Breakfast - mortadella sandwich, apple, water
Lunch - fried spaghetti with eggs and diced ham, apple, watered down orange juice
Dinner - not the healthiest choice I could have made, but didn't break any rules: two slices of toast (not the regular wheat-and-rye bread), salami, a yogurt (not a piece of fruit), milk (not watered down juice) - but why not?
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:56 pm

I think you are doing great and know you will get right back on track. Don't forget, you've been my inspiration all this time! ;) I think your dinner sounds totally fine. You're still getting a variety of food groups and its all healthy.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

Breakfast - two slices of wheat-and-rye bread (I'll shorten this to WARB from now on) with salami and an apple, water
Lunch - fries, some chicken nuggets, one cevapcici, four cherry tomatoes, watered down orange juice
Dinner - Chicken sandwich (aka two slices of toast with a piece of breaded, deep-fried chicken breast in between), apple, milk
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:34 pm

Day 3: SUCCESS

This is surprisingly easy. Love the clear structure of Vanilla.

Breakfast - two slices of WARB, salami, a banana (no apple this time, can you believe it?), water
Lunch - fish, mashed potatoes, spinach (yes, Katie is actually eating her veggies), watered down orange juice
Dinner - two slices of toast (love my WARB, but I would have had to warm it up in the microwave since we only have frozen bread at the moment), mortadella (which is not actually mortadella, but baloney... oh well), a banana, milk

I'm looking forward to my first real S days in a while, but I also don't want to go overboard and feel sick afterwards, so I did some planning. I decided I wanted to have three regular meals on S days (no raw cookie dough for breakfast etc.), and I hope this'll help.
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:06 am

Day 4: S day

Weighed in at 110 lb today.

Breakfast - bread roll with salami, apple, milk
three candy bars (1 oz each; caramel - yummy!)
Streuselschnecke (delicious, but huuuge, seriously)
hot chocolate with whipped cream at my student newspaper's meeting, plus the cookie that came with it
croissant (probably has tons of calories, with all the butter in that, but hey, it's an S day)
Lunch - rice, leftover fish, apple, watered down OJ
apple pie with vanilla ice cream at my mom's co-worker's house
chocolate covered cookies with milk
Dinner - pancakes with apple sauce, milk
some more chocolate covered cookies with milk
homemade chocolate chip cookies (baked some for tomorrow)
some wine gum
chocolate covered puffed rice

I decided I wanted to differentiate between Rules and Guidelines. Here's what I came up with:

Rules
no Snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except on days that start with S
three meals a day (or less)
every meal has to fit on a single plate

Guidelines
on all days
only eat when hungry
stop eating when full
only eat when sitting down
drink lots of water (may be mixed with juice)
on N days
have milk with only meal a day
on S days
eat three regular meals (no raw cookie dough for breakfast)
starts S days after breakfast on Saturday
only eat food you really want (not "just because I can")

I called them guidelines because they're not that important, but nice to have, and if I don't follow them to the letter, that doesn't mean I broke the rules and have to mark a FAILURE in my daily check-in, which might lead to permasnacking or bingeing later on.
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:08 pm

I like your differentiation on rules and guidelines. I tend to fail miserably once I've officially "failed" even if it's small, just because I broke the rules. Maybe I'll look into that for myself. Enjoy the rest of your S day! :)

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 am

Day 5: S day

Day 6: FAILURE

Day 1: FAILURE
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Ummm, if it totally bizarre if I say "me too"? I've had a horrible time and am so frustrated. I woke up this morning thinking, "How did I do that two days in a row??? Right after S DAYS!!??"

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Yes, that is very bizarre.

Day 1: FAILURE
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Woke up this morning and felt like crap. This can't continue. I'm feeling very motivated now. I can't truly enjoy my S days if I don't do my N days properly.

Breakfast - baloney sandwich, apple, water
Lunch - six croquettes, four cevapcici, a kiwi, watered down orange juice
Dinner - Bread roll with salami, apple, milk
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Lunch - chicken breast, pasta, apple, watered down orange juice
Dinner - salami toast, a kiwi, milk

I plan on making the most out of my S days tomorrow. Even if that means I'll be shoveling plain sugar into my mouth and eating until I vomit. I won't worry about the guidelines just yet, but try to get 21 consecutive days of SUCCESS under my belt first.
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Day 3: S day
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:45 pm

No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:46 pm

No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:32 am

Day 5: SUCCESS

Breakfast - WARB sandwich with salami, an apple, milk (I had a yogurt on my plate as well, but decided not to eat it since I was full)
Lunch - small serving of leftover pasta, scrambled egg with diced ham, raspberry yogurt, a banana, watered down orange juice
Dinner - two buttermilk biscuits, chicken (my mom made a whole chicken and I got the leftovers :D ), an apple, watered down orange juice
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Breakfast - none (I slept in)
Lunch - meatballs, potatoes, water
Dinner - bread roll with salami, banana, milk
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:06 pm

I finally seem to be getting this down.

Breakfast - WARB with baloney, banana, water
Lunch - spaghetti, fish fingers, banana, watered down orange juice
Dinner - TBD
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm so happy you are getting this down. It gives me hope that I can do it too.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm

FAILURE

So much for that. Feeling terrible physically and psychologically - not because of the failure - that one was pretty moderate - , but it was the other way around and I failed because of the way I'm currently feeling. I have this really nasty urinary bladder inflammation (if that's what you call it) and lots of stress/exams at school, and feeling really tired... :?

Tomorrow's a new day.
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm sorry Katie. Trust me, I understand what you're going through. Things always get better, we just have to ride the waves until they do. *hugs*

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi Katie,

Not sure if you are still checking in but just wanted to ask how you are doing.

I still check to see if you post and hope you are doing okay.

Take care!!!

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Hey Cynthia,

sorry about that, I was having a pretty hard time with the exams and stuff, but it'll work now, I know it.

The last couple of weeks looked like this:
February 4: FAILURE
February 5: S day
February 6: S day
February 7: SUCESS
February 8: FAILURE
February 9: FAILURE
February 10: SUCESS
February 11: FAILURE
February 12: S day
February 13: S day
February 14: FAILURE
February 15: FAILURE
February 16: FAILURE
February 17: FAILURE
February 18: FAILURE
February 19: S day
February 20: S day

Breakfast - baloney on toast, banana, water
Lunch - steak, bread roll, water
Dinner - cevapcici, mashed potatoes, watered down orange juice
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:53 am

Glad to see you are back Katie! Although, I've been MIA myself. I have more or less been a complete failure. I think I'm putting too much pressure on myself to lose weight for my wedding and it's backfiring.

ANyways, good luck with the exams and all that stuff. Great job with the success today, wish I could say the same for myself (today was a holiday in Canada "Family Day" - so I treated it like an S day).

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Breakfast - salami sandwich, kiwi, water
Lunch - fried egg, bread roll, apple, milk
Dinner - bread roll with salami, banana, milk
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Day 3: SUCCESS

Breakfast - salami sandwich, banana, water
Lunch - chicken breast, pasta, banana, watered down orange juice
Dinner - salami sandwich, banana, milk
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Day 4: SUCCESS

Lunch - fries, fried chicken
Dinner - sandwich with boiled ham, banana, milk
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Day 5 (yay me!): SUCCESS

Breakfast - baloney sandwich, banana, water
Lunch - fried egg, two slices of toast, banana, watered down orange juice
Dinner - salami sandwich, kiwi, milk
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Day 6: S day

Day 7: S day

Day 8: SUCCESS

Breakfast - salami sandwich, half an apple, water
Lunch - a bagel
Dinner - salami sandwich, banana, milk

Day 9: SUCCESS

Breakfast - none
Lunch - salami sandwich, banana, milk
Dinner - baloney sandwich, banana, milk
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Day 10: SUCCESS

Lunch - fried egg on bread, banana, watered down fruit juice
Dinner - mashed potatoes, fish fingers, kiwi, watered down orange juice
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Day 11: SUCCESS

Breakfast - baloney sandwich, banana, water
Lunch - noodle soup, half a sausage, watered down orange juice
Dinner - baloney sandwich, an apple, milk

Phew. This was hard. After school, while walking to the bus station... that's usually the hardest part. Today, I really, really felt like buying a pastry or something... but then I didn't. Huge accomplishment for me.
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Day 12: SUCCESS

Breakfast - half a salami sandwich, an apple, water
Lunch - fried egg on two slices of toast, an apple, milk
Dinner - bread roll with salami, an apple, milk

Day 13: S day

Day 14: S day
No day but today.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Lots of successes here. Congratulations. Keep up the good work.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Thank you, Kevin!

Day 15: SUCCESS

Breakfast - salami sandwich (didn't finish it though), apple, water
Lunch - steak, bread roll, apple
Dinner - pasta, fried egg with ham, banana, watered down fruit juice (OMG SO MANY CARBS :lol: )
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Day 16: FAILURE

:? Was in a lot of stress today...
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Lunch - pasta, gyros, apple, watered down apple/berry juice
Dinner - TBD
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Friday, March 11: FAILURE / S day

Saturday, March 12: S day

Sunday, March 13: S day

Monday, March 14: SUCCESS
No day but today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:15 am

Katie, I hope everything is okay and you are just busy with school. I have been doing pretty horribly as far as eating goes. I miss your check in! Take care :)

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 am

This was my attempt to get back on track in April/early May:

Until July, there's nothing in my HabitCal... I think I've always more or less attempted it, but failed constantly. Anyway, now I'm back on the wagon! (I think.)

November was pretty messed up, but I feel like I've really gotten it now. The last 7 days have been all green :) And I now eat "standardized" meals, so to speak, which really minimizes my thinking about food etc.

Breakfast (around 7:45 am):
- bowl of cornflakes (the regular kind, that is not covered in sugar) with 1.5 % fat milk
- piece of fruit (optional)

Lunch (1 pm):
- sandwich (two slices of white bread, butter, slice of lunch meat) cut in half
- piece of fruit (apple or banana)
- water

Dinner (around 7 pm):
- a warm meal that varies (pancake with fruit, pasta and some kind of meat, a fried egg on a slice of bread...)
- piece of fruit (apple or banana)
- watered-down organe juice

I know it may sound very boring and monotone to you, but as I'm a very picker eater, I enjoy bland foods, and most of all, I enjoy not overthinking what I eat :)

Oh, and as for exercise, I walk for an hour every day, because that's my way to my workplace, and I always take the stairs to the office (it's on the 5th floor).

I don't have a scale in Bulgaria, but I have my belt, and it's not happy :?

Merry Christmas!
No day but today.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Katie,

I know you're struggling, but here's my take on it...you have 10 red days in November and December and 18 green days. EIGHTEEN green days. You chose to eat well 18 days. This plan sounds so simple...but it's so very hard. What I think we are actually doing is learning the hardest part first...we're learning maintenance before we even lose the weight we want to. Every time you pick yourself up, brush off the crumbs and move on you are strengthening those hard-learned habits that will carry you for the rest of your life.

Hang in there...you can do this...you really can!

janie
P.S. I almost got to Bulgaria once. I had my visa in hand, but the trip was cancelled. I was living in Austria at the time & was very disappointed.
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Hey Katie!

Sounds like you are doing great to me. So happy to see an update from you. I had been struggling, still snack at night sometimes, but I've got down to 115lbs so I am happy about that. I can feel I am going to make it this time. Funny thing is, I have dessert every night and am still losing weight, so I don't see a reason to stop. Do you think that's very bad? I usually have one homemade cookie and a cup of coffee after dinner before I start my work/chores. It's such an enjoyable time of day and I don't want to give it up (especially since i'm still losing!) Your take on that?

I like your standardized menus. I sort of do the same thing although I am the opposite of a picky eater :P Do you really put just one slice of deli meat in your sandwich? It just sounds so paltry! hehehe My deli meat says you can have like 4 slices or something for 100 calories or less. Anyhow, so glad to hear your progress!!

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Janie, thanks for the encouragement! I know I can do this; I just need to muster up the willpower. What really helped me this week was the prospect of having to fit into my old coat again this weekend (it's a size 6 and I bought it in January '10). I think afterwards I'll need to find a new event to look forward to :wink:

By the way, part of the reason why November was such a mess was NaNoWriMo.

Oh, Sinnie, now I feel even worse about never posting in the past. But it seems like you're doing great as well -- if your desserts don't make you maintain or even gain, and don't turn into a slippery slope, I'd say keep it up! And I guess you're currently ahead of me in the diet race :wink: Good work!
And yes, it's really just one slice. Not sure about the calories, maybe it has like 40?
No day but today.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Dude. I'm so proud of myself right now.

Yesterday, my choir had a concert, but as I'm new and "they don't have a dress for me" (not sure how true this is), I was merely watching them sing... and felt really excluded and generally down. I was also hungry and planning to go to a party afterwards, so I had no way to go home and get some sensible food, and you know what that means...
BUT! Instead of buying myself a huge box of chocolate cookies, I resisted. I did, however, still have to have some dinner, so I decided to go to McDonald's and treat myself to a McMenu. It fits in the No S guide lines, but I only eat there a few times a year, so it was still Special enough for me. But then, the lady said you couldn't have water with it, only Coke, Sprite or Fanta (orange lemonade). What the heck? Out of reflex, I said Sprite. I was really thirsty, too.
BUT! Instead of just saying "whatevs" and downing the Sugary beverage, I resisted. After finishing my meal, I went to the bathroom, flushed the drink, rinsed the cup, filled it with tap water and drank that on the way.
I still can't really believe I did that :shock:
No day but today.

determined

Post by determined » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:44 pm

WOW!!! What a great day! You did it - you conquered your day and didn't let food conquer you! Well done.....

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:51 am

Huh. Tomorrow will be difficult. I will be baking cookies for our organization's Christmas market stand on Saturday (4 pounds of flour, yay). Because I don't have a big oven, I'll be baking at my boss's house, where I also stayed for a couple of weeks in October. In that time, I was pretty strict with my No S -ing, and my boss's husband seems to think I'm anorexic or something... he always tries to feed me and offer me food and whatnot. Especially with the making cookies, it will be difficult to refuse.

Thoughts? Help?
No day but today.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Just smile, and say "no thank you."

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Hmm that's tough. You know the situation best, maybe you can allow yourself an S that day? It's not like baking Christmas cookies will happen everyday. I can see from other people's perspective it may look a little obsessive (you eat quite little, you are probably quite skinny and then refuse to have a little treat! LOL) We all understand here, but Non-NoSers wouldn't. It is just so different from typical people's diets. Do what is right, you'll know it when you are there :) Good luck!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Hmm that's tough. You know the situation best, maybe you can allow yourself an S that day? It's not like baking Christmas cookies will happen everyday. I can see from other people's perspective it may look a little obsessive (you eat quite little, you are probably quite skinny and then refuse to have a little treat! LOL) We all understand here, but Non-NoSers wouldn't. It is just so different from typical people's diets. Do what is right, you'll know it when you are there :) Good luck!

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 am

Yay, I managed not to have any! The guy did offer me bean soup :shock: so that was easy to refuse (no offense, soup-geeks).

That weekend, though, I seriously overate, possibly also due to starting on midnight on Saturday (never a good idea for me). And there was a party on Saturday and... yeah. And for some odd reason, the next two weeks (+ 2 days) were red. WTF? But since Jan 4, I'm back on track, with a single failure on the 10th.

And the reason why I'm back posting here on my Check-in despite past experiences that hanging out on the boards too much is Not A Good Thing for my diet? This weird rash on my legs (sometimes arms) that keeps coming and going. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I'd like to find out where it comes from.

I'll post what I eat every day (including brands, if known, but not necessarily the quantity), as well as Success/Failure/S day for my three HabitCals.

Wednesday, January 18:
Breakfast: Nestlé cornflakes, Ð’ÐµÑ€ÐµÑ milk (1.5 % fat), clever orange juice with tap water
Lunch: chicken sandwich from some snack shop (soft bread, chicken breast, scrambled egg, some salad, a couple of fries)
Dinner: apple pancake (egg, flour, milk) with an apple and a banana

Legs (from 0 to 10): 3 (> than yesterday)

No S (you know the rules): SUCCESS
Piano (practice for one hour): SUCCESS
Diary (write two pages except on S days): SUCCESS
Last edited by Anoulie on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
No day but today.