Kerry's Check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kerrycrow

Kerry's Check in

Post by kerrycrow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 am

I first "discovered" the No S Diet last summer. I thought it was genius! Then for some reason I just stopped doing it and for the life of me I can't remember why. I know I was traveling a lot, and I do a lot of long distance bicycle riding, so I was having trouble figuring out a reasonable way to work the snacking thing in those situations. Apparently I just gave up....

So I am back to give it a try again. Right now I am not doing a tremendous amount of bike riding that I can't accommodate with the rules as they are, so maybe this is a perfect time to get down the "plain vanilla" and figure out how to handle food on the bike in a few months when it gets warmer.

At least this will help to serve as a record as to where I am struggling so I can get some advice and help this time around.

I am very motivated because I have made a binding contract with a friend to lose this weight that I have gained. I need to make a lifetime change and not go on another "diet".... I am hoping the structure of No S will help me to lose 15#'s this year!

I got started this weekend, since it seemed the right thing to do. I did not take any S exceptions and it worked out fine. Good practice for the coming week....

I have the book on Kindle and I am going to re-read now.

Following the example post...

Day 1 (yesterday): SUCCESS

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:27 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

I am also keeping a food log to discover what my food patterns are, what keeps me full what doesn't work, etc. I hope to not do that forever, but it may take awhile to figure out the foods that work best for me (keep me full and still let me lose weight) and the portions.

So far so good today.
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Day 3 : SUCCESS

I have been choosing good foods and foods I like. I have not been overly hungry until right before meals. At the end of the day I have done a quick check on my calories consumed (keeping food log for the time being) and it is reasonable for slow weight loss. Yea...

What I like so far is this stops the chatter in my head. Last night I attended a meeting and they were serving cake for dessert...I didn't have to think about how many calories in the cake, could I fit it in, etc. It was just a simple "no, thank you..." I eat a lot of food during the week at such meetings. Now I just eat my dinner beforehand and I'm done...I don't think about eating a smaller dinner so I can have snacks later. I would always eat more than what I cut back on earlier in the day.
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Day 4: SUCCESS

So far so good. I am really enjoying this...less thinking about food, making decisions on the fly (if I eat this can I eat that etc.).

I bought a bag of these crunchy/fried snap peas that I like. I would never buy them in the past because I'd eat the whole bag at once. Now I just had a serving with lunch and done. It is funny how the mind works. I've always had a problem with Black & White thinking in the past, but it some ways it helps with No S.

I think it is very interesting to see all the meal's food on one plate. It really is plenty, even a lot sometimes! I never realized that before.....
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:40 am

DAY 5 : only a couple of hours to go until I say, SUCCESS.

I don't know WHAT to call tomorrow, I'll be preparing for a colonoscopy. I won't be eating 3 meals but drinking throughout the day. They recommended gatorade (sweet).

So I guess it is a planned S Day, but gosh I wish it was something to look forward to....
Kerry

coffee

Post by coffee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:39 am

congratulations on your first 5 successful days! That's great! I've newly started, too.
kerrycrow wrote:DAY 5 : only a couple of hours to go until I say, SUCCESS.

I don't know WHAT to call tomorrow, I'll be preparing for a colonoscopy. I won't be eating 3 meals but drinking throughout the day. They recommended gatorade (sweet).

So I guess it is a planned S Day, but gosh I wish it was something to look forward to....
Ugh! My boyfriend has to have regular colonoscopys (colonoscopies? I don't really know how to pluralise that word) and therefore I have some idea of how not-fun they are, although I can't claim to know first hand. I hope all goes well!
Stats: female, 22 years old, 5'3".
Starting weight: 125lbs.
No-S since January 17th 2011.
14 Minutes of ANYTHING since February 28th 2011.

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks for checking in, Coffee...I love coffee btw! I was thinking about this this morning and I think that the most important lesson I can learn from this non-fun S day is that I that I don't let it derail me because I have to take this day during the week. I was thinking about canceling one of my my real S day this weekend, but that feels like a punishment. I will be smart about my choices but I will carry on just as if I had been doing this all my life!

But I appreciate you checking in as I know someone is "expecting" me to show up after this weird day.
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Day 6 (Thursday): Planned S Day due to colonoscopy prep

Friday - Colonoscopy went fine...I thought I'd want to go out for a big breakfast but I didn't. Had my normal oatmeal, almonds, banana, milk when I got home for a late breakfast. Still not hungry for lunch...so I feel certain I am heading for a plain ol' non S day... wasn't sure how I'd feel.

Glad it is over and no big deal. Prep day was gross and I hate sweet drinks in the base case so getting my calories from apple juice and gatorade was not my idea of fun.
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Day 7: Friday/Colonoscopy Day: SUCCESS
Day 8: S-Day Had some cheese and crackers, a favorite snack, and that was a good treat. Love it!

Not sure what today will hold. I am open to an S event but only if it is something I really, really want. We'll see....
Kerry

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks for checking in on my thread

I really love this discussion board..there is so much wisdom here. And isn't it amazing how so many have followed the same path to this point? NoS is a great structure to build on. I know some have made vanilla NoS work and that is great, but it still works for some of us when we find the right fit.

I will continue to follow your journey.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:32 pm

I am going to call Sunday SUCCESS although a little unconventional.

Had my normal meals and then took a 25 mile bike ride before dinner. Had planned to go out for sushi (a favorite!) on the way to taking my husband to the airport. Well, the sushi place was closed...I guess due to the SuperBowl...and then we tried another restaurant we like and it was closed too. So we went to an Italian place, but by this time it was getting tight to get my husband to the airport on time. I was really really hungry but we did not have time to get a full meal...so I got an appetizer green salad with a few nuts and about an ounce of chicken and a piece of bread, knowing it would not be enough for my whole dinner but I would have the other part after I dropped him off at the airport and got home.

When I got home I had a single serving of farro (a grain) and kale I had made earlier in the week. Normally I would put that portion on top of a salad, so I am considering it a virtual plating exercise without about an hour in between "courses".

After that I had planned some "S" treats at a Super Bowl party, but I just didn't feel like going. So I read a book and went to bed.

Just because it is a day that starts with S, I don't have to have an S -Day. I felt really good about my choices. Normally I would have eaten a bunch of crap, especially when I didn't get to eat my first choice (sushi). But it was fine...next weekend we've got some nice dinners planned.
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Monday = SUCCESS

Feeling very good...calories are reasonable for very slow weight loss which is what I am going for. Not feeling AT ALL DEPRIVED or resentful of recording the calories. In fact it is kind of fun, because I pick the foods I want and like, and then record the calories on MyNetDiary (super easy)...vs. what I used to do..planning my meals and foods around their calories. The flip of perspective is fascinating, and fun! It seems like the only planning I really need to do is just make sure I have food that I really like and that is a reasonably healthy choice around the house. This is just a total mind shift for me. No more planning how to "budget" my calories and point...removing snacks seems to do that naturally.

Onward and upward. I do need to get the same "religion" on my glass ceiling...wine is the only thing in my way right now.
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:44 am

Tuesday = SUCCESS

I was very hungry last night when I went to bed and I woke up hungry! I was still hungry after breakfast, but I waited awhile then had some milk. I had a voluminous lunch with a lot of vegetables and after that I was fine.
Normally I would have convinced myself that because I had a really hard workout yesterday (bicycle hard for 75 min.) I "needed" more food today. So yes I was hungry, but then eventually I wasn't and I didn't die or anything :wink:

Note to self: You don't have to eat extra if you are hungry. Just eat a normal portion and if you are still hungry another meal is coming!
Kerry

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:00 pm

I had to tell myself that yesterday too. You know, another meal WILL be coming! ha. I've been getting hungry right before bed cuz we eat dinner early (5pm). I guess a little stomach growling is good for us, huh?!

Looks like you're doing awesome!

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:55 pm

WED, THURS, FRI = SUCCESS

I am feeling really good and so satisfied by the food I am eating. It is totally amazing to me that I can go so long between meals without getting hungry. But I think it is a function of eating good quality foods as well as "training" my body that snacks aren't required in order to live.

Last night we went out to a very nice restaurant. It really was not possible to put my dinner salad on the plate with my main course, BUT it did stop me from eating bread with my dinner (I told myself I could have some with the main course if I wanted it then, but not on it's own as a premeal snack). But with my lovely dinner in front of me the bread was not that attractive.

Bread before dinner must be one of the worst eating habits around...

Tonight I've got a cooking group and there will be appetizers and dessert. I will give myself permission to participate if it looks like something I really want. But so far today I have not felt the need for any S's. I really am appreciating the "sometimes" wording!
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:29 pm

SAT = S-DAY

Really happy with my Saturday... before dinner took a nice 4 mile walk w/dogs.

B: Oatmeal, Milk, Banana, Nuts
L: Big Salad with avocado and chicken
D: Cooking Light Supper Club -
2 pieces vegetable tart (appetizer)
1 chicken thigh and spinach salad
1 small serving apple/craberry cobbler (dessert)
Late night: 1 glass wine

I was very full from dinner. Not way past satisfaction, but it was less than I usually eat at Supper Club and I wasn't holding back, I was truly full. I really am surprised how well this is working. I am feeling good with my mental approach to S Days. (i.e. treat it like a normal non-S day but give myself permission for events, treats if they are something I really want.
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:09 am

Keep forgetting to check in here...
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wed = SUCCESS
Nothing caught my imagination enough on Sunday, and I had eaten a big meal out on Friday night and S'd it on Saturday.

This week has been great..my weight has been down a bit. Also I am eating foods that I like and incorporating them into my meals. Like Wasabi Peas...I would never eat them before because I would go crazy that they are quite dense. But I would eat them as a snack...now a put a handle ful on my Asian Salad and they are quite good and not too much. It is cool to think I can have anything I want (really!, not like WW) and it just works out.
Kerry

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Still going great, although I am going to have to give myself a "FAIL" for yesterday. I went out to dinner with a friend, and we ordered all appetizers (but it was an organic farm to market restaurant so it was all super healthy vegetable dishes). I had two small plates of food which would have equaled one large so I felt ok with that.

But then I did have a bite of her dessert, it seemed important to her that I try it so I did and one bite of dessert is not going to kill me, but still finally have to give myself a fail day.

Onward and upward (but downward on the scale).
Kerry