Becky's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Whidbey Woman

Becky's Daily Check-in

Post by Whidbey Woman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 am

It's time to give this a try. I started no-S on Jan. 1, 2011, and I think I've had more successes than failures. The fact that I just typed "I think" is the reason I've started this thread.

Today I did well all day with little effort - even when my husband and I stopped at one of the best cafes on the island, with about the best berry pie on the island. I was fine watching the geese and gulls in the pond while he ate his pie. Tonight, however, I helped myself to more sourdough bread with dinner without even thinking about it. I have the no-sweets and no-snacks down pat, but I realize that the no-seconds is new territory for me. I'm having the most trouble with the single plat of food idea. I am used to using a salad bowl AND plate and then picking up that extra piece of bread, etc.

My goal starting tomorrow (Feb. 1) is to fully embrace the one plate = done rule. I love this way of dealing with food, but I'm in the obese catagory and truly need to lose weight. If I don't take all three parts of the plan seriously, I know I won't succeed in my goal of reaching a healthy weight.

I look forward to tomorrow!

Whidbey Woman

Post by Whidbey Woman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:18 am

I didn't post yesterday - tired and busy. Yesterday was an S day, and today has been (so far) as well. But I've been hungry. I know I'm eating enough, so I think I've just got to learn to live with the hunger and continue to remind myself that it's not bad - it's anticipation!

I got on the scale this morning and I'm up 3 lbs! Must have been the weekend, or, as Reinhold says in his book, it's just the normal fluctuation of weight we all have. I really think I should NOT weigh myself. It brings back all the old diet-head thoughts. My new resolve is to not weigh myself again until March 1. THAT is going to be difficult.

Dave is picking up dinner tonight (teriyaki chicken & pot stickers) since it's too late to cook the roast and eat it tonight. I will put my food on a plate and eat only that plate full - with the exception of a small bowl of salad, which is going to be my one tweek to the program.

I love this way of looking at food and I love this board! So much inspiration and wisdom!

Whidbey Woman

Post by Whidbey Woman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:20 am

I just read a couple of really good threads. One was about nutrition and no s and the other was a writer who had followed no s for about a year. His/her weight stalled, and then went up a pound or two. Fear and frustration set in and the dieter tried a quick loss fad diet. The end result was more weight gained.

At this point, I think not weighing myself is crucial. I know that if I focus on whether or not I'm losing, or on how much I am (or am not) losing, I'll be tempted to head back into the diet head mode.

I had another good day - even though Dave is sick with a terrible cold and I got home late and was starving. It felt so good to scramble some eggs and eat what I fixed for him (eggs, ww English muffin, small bowl of applesauce - all of which I fit on my plate) AND a good sized glass of milk! The milk tasted so good - I would never have allowed myself to drink milk with dinner (how stupid was that?) or have some applesauce when I was on WW.

Tomorrow is Friday. It's been a brutal week at work and I'm looking forward tot he weekend and a couple of No-S days. Have I said recently how much I love this way of eating/living? I feel like a normal person - and a person in control of my eating! It's been forever since I've felt both at the same time!

Whidbey Woman

Post by Whidbey Woman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:08 am

13.5 hours at work. Need I say more? First day of semester II, and those letters of recommendation and common applications are killing me!

But I stayed no-s all day! Yay for me! That in the face of Dove chocolate and a candy bar left on my desk by a kind administrator.

Tomorrow is and S day, of course, and I can't wait to meet Pam in MV and have a yummy and some tea at Calico Cupboard.

Dave is better. Yay for that, too!

Whidbey Woman

Post by Whidbey Woman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:46 am

Still on track, but hungry for some reason. Tea isn't cutting it...

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:10 am

Hang in there, hon! Glad to hear you are enjoying the No S lifestyle ... it sounds like you're doing great :)

Also glad to hear that poor Dave is on the mend. My husband and myself both had a nasty bout of flu before the Christmas holidays and it knocked us both for six@! Luckily, we are well over it now - just wishing the dreaded snow would clear up soon so I can get out and start walking again !

All the very best to you and yours and looking forward to your next post(s).

Whidbey Woman

Post by Whidbey Woman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 am

Thank you, NoSRocks, for your response. It feels great to know someone's out there and cheering me on!