Will I ever do it?

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruthie71

Will I ever do it?

Post by Ruthie71 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:57 am

I have failed again.

Kevin

Re: Will I ever do it?

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:50 am

Is it because, as you previously reported, you are too hungry at 11:00 am? Did you make any adjustments for that?

NoS is simple, but it's not always easy. Maybe you should consider working in some food at mid-morning until you can get past this. A small, planned fourth meal is better than ravenous hunger and unplanned binging. Once you have the pattern down, see if you can eliminate the mid-morning meal.

Ruthie71 wrote:I have failed again.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Ruthie71

Post by Ruthie71 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:34 pm

Unbelievable- Success! Day 1 of the 21 Day Challenge is complete. Having a milky coffee mid morning really helped. On Wednesday I don't have access to that. I would prefer to learn 3, not 4 meals per day but if it gets too hard, I might. Thank you,R

Ruthie71

Post by Ruthie71 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:31 am

I have decided, after many binges, that at this phase of my life, I will "Half S" . I agree in principle with No S but I really am not prepared to retrain my body boot camp- style to need to be fed only 3 times a day. I believe that as I am a nursing mother, I need to eat when I am genuinely hungry. I let myself get too hungry yesterday and didn't respect my body. Then I eventually caved in and binged, then ate too much. I would have been better to have had a "mini meal" at around 10.30. Sweets should be on the weekend and seconds are a form of overeating so I plan to work on eliminating these.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:09 pm

This is not a "half S" approach. Many people have been successful with four meals. You'll have to pay a little attention to not over-eating at those meals, but it still imparts the structure we all need so badly to keep from consuming too much. Good luck, and don't feel like you are giving in. It's just an adjustment because breastfeeding is demanding.
Ruthie71 wrote:I have decided, after many binges, that at this phase of my life, I will "Half S" . I agree in principle with No S but I really am not prepared to retrain my body boot camp- style to need to be fed only 3 times a day. I believe that as I am a nursing mother, I need to eat when I am genuinely hungry. I let myself get too hungry yesterday and didn't respect my body. Then I eventually caved in and binged, then ate too much. I would have been better to have had a "mini meal" at around 10.30. Sweets should be on the weekend and seconds are a form of overeating so I plan to work on eliminating these.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

r.jean

A guide not a mandate.

Post by r.jean » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:16 pm

I agree with Kevin. For various reasons, some people modify no S to suit their individual circumstances. Setting up a structure and sticking with it is the primary goal.

I read someone's plan to only give up one S a month at the beginning gradually working up to the 3 S's. For example, they gave up seconds the first month, added sweets the next month and then full no S the third month. This is not such a bad idea if the plan is too drastic for you to jump into all at once.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.