MysteryLover's Final Journey

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MysteryLover

MysteryLover's Final Journey

Post by MysteryLover » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Just a quick intro:
I was introduced to No S a year to two ago. Had some success, but gave in to old (bad) habits. Whenever I try anything else, it ALWAYS comes back to No S. It's the only plan that makes sense at all to me. I have a history of binge eating. I'm actually a huge supporter of non-dieting/ intuitive eating. I feel that No S is the only 'diet' that is compatible with a non-dieting lifestyle. It encourages the use of real foods and helps me to only eat when I'm truly hungry. Because I tend to get really hungry later in the evening after my workouts, I have added a fourth mini-meal of fruit and protein. I was down 20 pounds by Christmas, but somehow I started snacking all the time and eating a bunch of JUNK. Now I've gained 10 to 15 back. So I am starting all over again tomorrow, March 28th. I will post a little something every day to keep track of my successes and failures.
**Feel free to comment.**
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:31 am

Hi again Gina and all the very best to you. I am sure you will do great on the No S plan and be back down again in no time. I restarted the plan again too after giving up for a while over the holiday season. I gained 10 lbs (on top of what I already had to lose) :roll: :roll: It's not coming off as quickly or as easily this time but I am just so happy to be on the No S plan and away from all the food anxiety (for the most part i.e. when I don't weigh myself LOL!!)

Look forward to checking out your posts. All the very best, Roxy
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks Roxy & the all the very best to you too! We'll do it this time around. It's only 9:45 am and I'm already being tested. Someone brought in fresh doughnuts from my favorite bakery. The office I work in isn't much bigger than some people's closets, so I can just SMELL them. Making myself a nice cup of green tea instead. If I really, really feel I need a doughnut, I will put one in a baggie and freeze it for the weekend. So there - LOL!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:38 pm

gina, it's hard to avoid stuff when it's in your face, but try to be extremely strict for the first few months. it will be much easier once you have reestablished some good habits here. not only that, i really feel that sugary/refined carb stuff is very easy to get "hooked" on, but when you really try to eliminate it to a large extent, for a good while, it just doesn't seem like such a big deal to say no to a donut or something like that.
you can do it :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Welcome back, Gina!

Good luck as you start the journey. Remember that the first few weeks are the hardest while you are cementing the habits.

Also, good luck resisting the doughnuts. I know how tough it is to have to resist something that is right in front of your face (its like its taunting you), but you can do it! And the best part is that in the long run the satisfaction of turning down the doughnut will outweigh the enjoyment you would have gotten from eating it.

So here's to Day 1! :)
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:32 am

No S Diet
Exercise

Day 1 down! I was surprised that it wasn't so bad getting back to eating this way, as I thought it would be. Like I said, when everyone else was chowing down on doughnuts, I had a nice cup of green tea (lasted longer than the doughnut would have). After lunch, I really wanted something sweet. I made a cup of coffee with a little creamer instead. I did get hungry in the evening and ended up having a small glass of milk. Since I had to miss my Zumba class (my son was inducted into the NJHS), I did shovelglove again.

The food just tasted SO much better because I was hungry for it. Opening my cabinets, I see all the nasty junk that made it's way back in there and I realize that I don't even LIKE most of it. It was just convenient. I can't even picture wanting any of it when I do make it to the weekend. I'm thinking I'd rather make something homemade that I can savor and really enjoy.

I'm embarrassed to say that this is how my days had been looking ever since the holidays: breakfast, doughnut at the office, lunch, something sweet, snack to hold me over to dinner, dinner, dessert, before bed snack.
That's eating (at least) 5 more times than I did yesterday!! What a wake-up call.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:00 am

Day 2
No S Diet
Exercise

Yesterday went pretty well actually. Another day of doughnuts coming into the office (what's up with these people?) and another day of green tea for me. I did feel hungry leading up to dinner, but nothing too uncomfortable. I even ended up not being able to finish my whole plate (surprise). Did an hour-long Zumba class for exercise & felt better than I have in a long time, not being weighed down with too much food.

I mentioned in another post about how I used to fill all the voids in my life with food. I can really see that now. I'm already finding more time to read, which is my favorite thing to do. And maybe I'll finally finish all those half completed crocheting and knitting loom projects sitting around the house.

Decided to step on the scale this morning, only to see that I'm actually UP a pound. Not surprised since this is what happened before when I was doing No S. I went up a little, down a little, then suddenly dropped a bunch of weight in what seemed like overnight. I am only going to record my weight once per week and take it with a grain of salt. To be honest, it is really impossible to have any real goal weight anyway. Whatever I end up weighing while eating this way, is apparently what my natural weight will be. It's not like I'll hit a certain weight and stop.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:03 am

No S Diet
Exercise

Might as well go ahead & mark today as a fail. I was in the bathroom with intestinal problems all of last night & it continued all through today. My stomach STILL isn't back to normal yet. Did well for breakfast & lunch. Blew it at dinnertime by eating a (stale) brownie while waiting for dinner to cook. Just too sick and exhausted to even think about exercise. Heading to bed early. Tomorrow's a new day.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:50 am

Day 4
No S Diet
Exercise

Yesterday wasn't too bad. My stomach was almost back to normal & today I seem to be completely better. A little disappointed that that extra pound that I put on in the beginning of the week is still there. I am eating so much less than I had been and I'm not dropping any weight, although I look and feel lighter.

This week I had consumed a lot of coffee and the occasional glass of milk to help me get through some rough spots. I'm pretty sure I can clean that up next week & maybe that will help me out in the weight loss area.

Looking ahead to the weekend, I am going to try to stick to one-plate / no seconds with the meals and I will also try to not snack, but I do intend to enjoy a bit of dessert on both days. That is what I miss most. Starting to get used to the not snacking.