Sophiasapientia's 2011 Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sophiasapientia

Sophiasapientia's 2011 Check-In

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu May 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Wow! It has been ages since I last visited the Boards. Life is good. I've continued with my No S and pedometer wearing habits and have been making strides with some other personal goals.

My weight is currently up a little higher than I would prefer. Partly, this is because I got a little slack during the winter months and was indulging in s's during the week. :oops: Partly this is because the past 6 weeks have been chock full of celebratory events and lots of related eating out (Easter, birthdays, Mother's Day, 10th wedding anniversary last week plus anniversary trip.) But I'm still well within healthy range, my doctor is thrilled with where I'm at and my clothes still fit. I have no doubt that at least a couple of these extra lbs will come off in fairly short order.

No real plans except to continue with vanilla No S -- no more red days! -- and my walking. And from there, I'll just see where things settle. There have been a couple changes in my habits since the last time I checked in. For one, my exercise is mostly regular 'ol walking with dog in tow (in addition to trying to stay active during the day) rather than nordic skiwalking. I really miss the extra calorie burn and toning of the nordic walking but love the puppy who, of course, needs nice long daily walks. Second, my lunches are probably slightly more substancial than they were several months back, though still served on a 9" plate. So ... that's where I'm at.

DH and I got iphones recently and I have found that some of the Apps are really cool/helpful for tracking weight, habits, etc. I was excited to see that Reinhard is planning on coming out with a HabitCal app.

I'm not sure how often I'll check-in here but will be make a point to do so from time to time. Accountability is a good thing and I definitely need it. :wink:
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 26, 2011 7:31 pm

It is always nice to "see" you here! :) Glad to hear that life is going well for you.

I like hearing about your puppy. We are contemplating adding a dog to our household. None in particular, but our son is asking... and we're thinking about it.

Stay in touch!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu May 26, 2011 11:14 pm

Nice to "meet" you.

KCCC -- Please consider adopting a shelter dog. You could save a life!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 am

KCCC -- Hi! It's great to "see" you, too! =) ... How fun about entertaining thoughts about getting a dog! ... I've certainly found our pup to be a wonderful companion for DD ... and the rest of us, too. Dogs are certainly a lot of work -- and it took awhile before were ready to make that commitment -- but he's terrific and we have no regrets. ;)

Who Me -- It's lovely to "meet" you too! =) (We are our pup's 3rd -- and forever -- home. Adoption is great. ;) )

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri May 27, 2011 12:17 am

Check-Ins for Week of May 22

Thursday 5/26/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
B -- 1/2 bagel w/ cc, coffee
L -- Egg salad sandwich, banana, Munchos, Coke Zero
D -- Pigs in a blanket, a few small slices of extra sharp cheddar, strawberries

Exercise -- Over 12,000 steps, including daily walk

Friday 5/27/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
B -- 1/2 bagel w/ cc, coffee
L -- Egg salad sandwich, banana, small serving Munchos
D (McDonald's) -- McDouble, fries, unsweetened iced tea

Exercise -- Over 12,000 steps

The last couple of days have been pitiful on the veggie front. I had actually prepped a nice dinner but we ended having to run some errands and ate McD's instead.

Saturday 5/28/2011 -- S Day -- SUCCESS
B -- 2 small homemade pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, coffee
L (Greenfield Village) --Turkey & Swiss wrap, few bites potato salad, small serving BBQ chips
D -- Homemade pizza, orange pepper & cucumber slices
Dessert (from local bakery) -- Chocolate cake truffle, Almond Joy cake truffle

Exercise -- Over 10,000 steps . I may shoot to get another couple thousand in tonight.

It has been a lovely Saturday. We met up with 2 of my oldest friends, both of whom I've known since age 3, and their families at Greenfield Village. It was so nice to spend time with them. We ended up having lunch in the cafeteria -- mediocre, overpriced fare ... but it was convenient.

My family recently discovered cake truffles --a form of "cake pops," I think -- at the bakery located next to where DD takes piano lessons. Oh my goodness are they yummy! DH and I have become somewhat addicted to these and they have become a regular S Day treat on Saturdays since the bakery is closed on Sundays. Cake truffles are small but very decadent, moist and rich.

Overall, it has been a successful S Day. I feel completely satisfied but not over-stuffed.

I've been rediscovering my groove with No S over the past week or so. I never abandoned No S but I had gotten rather sloppy. A nibble here, a second here, a mid-week dessert there. Certainly not everyday but often enough to make me lose my footing. I've found, through trial and error, that I feel best and thrive when I am strict with my habit. Once I am firm with the guidelines in my head and heart, I'm fine and I find it easy to keep green days green. ;) I think posting here helps. I've also gotten back into the habit of charting my weight everyday on my iphone and have been having fun with a new app, called "Foodish," where you basically keep a simple photo food journal ... easy and enlightening, too. Works well with No S.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:12 pm

just noticed your posting a new check in. Good to see you here again.
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon May 30, 2011 12:18 am

Hey Denise! Good to see you, too! PMed you ... =)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Check-Ins for Week of May 29, 2011

Sunday 5/29/2011 -- S Day -- SUCCESS
B -- 2 small homemade pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, coffee
L (Salsarita's) Bean taco, steak taco, tortilla chips w/ salsa & queso, Coke Zero
Sweet (Coldstone) -- Kiddie-sized dish of dark chocolate ice cream w/ cherries
D -- Small slice of Italian sub, piece of watermelon, handful of salt & vinegar chips

Exercise -- Over 14,000 steps

Our family spent the morning at the zoo and then went out for lunch and ice cream ... Dinner was a bit rushed. We were under a tornado watch so we quickly ate the dinner I had prepared earlier in the day and went down to the basement to wait out the storm. Nothing of consequence happened, fortunately ... Tomorrow will be a NWS due to Memorial Day. I'm looking forward to a bunch of green N Days after that, though. I need them. ;)

Monday 5/30/2011 -- NWS (Memorial Day) -- SUCCESS
B --1/2 bagel w/ cream cheese, coffee
L (Noodles & Co.) -- Bangkok curry w/ beef
Sweet (Coldstone) -- Kiddie-sized cup of dark chocolate ice cream w/ cherries
D -- Slice of Italian sub, piece of watermelon, salt & vinegar chips

We went to see Kung Fu Panda 2 and I chewed on a piece of sf gum while the rest of my family snacked on popcorn. I didn't want to overdo it and wanted a dessert later more than popcorn.

May is a fun month but I'm a bit relieved that we are heading into June. May is on par with December, if not worse, for celebratory events in our house.

Tuesday 5/31/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- Slice of pizza, cucumber slices, cherries
D -- Chicken picatta, steamed asparagus, broccoli cheese rice

Exercise -- Over 16,000 steps, including mowing backyard

Victory! -- Made a huge batch of mint chocolate cookies for an event later in the week and did not sample or eat any. I set aside some for the rest of the family, froze the ones for the event and froze 2 for myself for an S Day.

Wednesday 6/1/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- Slice of pizza, minneola, grapes, cucumber slices
D -- Tortellini salad w/ sundried tomato & balsamic vinegar, steamed asparagus, cherries

Thursday 6/2/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- Slice of pizza, minneola, grapes, steamed asparagus
D -- Tortellini salad w/ sundried tomato & balsamic vinegar, orange pepper slices, cherries

Victory! -- Last PTO meeting of the academic year -- woohoo! -- and it was a dessert/snack potluck. I passed on eating the goodies but did bring a Coke Zero to sip on as my "treat."

Friday 6/3/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- Greek pretzel stuffed with spinach & feta, cucumber slices, grapes, small portion chips
D -- Homemade pizza, orange pepper slices, zucchini spears

Exercise -- Over 16,000 steps

Saturday 6/4/2011 -- S Day -- SUCCESS
B --Small slice of lemon poppyseed breakfast cake, coffee
L (Qdoba) -- Grilled chicken taco, grilled steak taco, smallish portion of nachos w/ queso, some Diet Coke
Sweet -- 3 small mint chocolate cookies
D -- Kosher hot dog, zucchini spears, grapes, Munchos

Exercise -- Over 11,000 steps

Very hot & humid day. Took the dog out for a shortened version of our regular walk earlier and wore the poor guy out. Will need to get up early and walk as it gets hotter and I gear up for DD's upcoming summer vacation. I can definitely get DD out with me once in awhile but she's not a huge fan of long walks and will be doing swim team this summer so will be plenty active. Plus, walking is "my time" ... Getting up well before my troops and exercising works best in the summer.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Check-Ins for the Week of June 5, 2011

Sunday 6/5/2011 -- S Day -- SUCCESS

B --Small slice of lemon poppyseed breakfast cake, coffee
L (festival) -- Piece of injera bread with samplings of spicy lentils & cabbage, vegggie samosa, bite sized dark chocolate raspberry mousse cup, bite sized cupcake, one dark chocolate covered cherry, unsweetened iced tea
D (McD's -- shared w/ DH) -- McBites, fries, Diet Coke

Exercise -- Over 15,000 steps, including mowing front lawn

Such a lovely day. I was outside for most of it ... We went to the annual taste festival downtown where local restaurants offer sample-sized portions of their food for a small fee. Among other things, I was able to have a bit of Ethiopian food -- which I love but the rest of my family does not care for at all -- which was a nice treat. 8)

Monday 6/6/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- Slice of pizza, red pepper slices, raspberries
D (Panera) -- Bowl of broccoli cheese soup & hunk of bread

Exercise -- Over 14,000 steps, including mowing backyard

My mom had an emergency appendectomy this afternoon. :( Thankfully, she'll be fine but will be in the hospital for a few days recovering. My siblings live out of state and my mom's husband is disabled/can't drive so I will likely be on "parent care duty" as she heals. Will need to focus on maintaining habit and getting my exercise in because the latter really helps me a lot when things get stressful. Had a dinner at home planned but ended up eating out due to the emergency situation.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Tuesday 6/7/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L (Qdoba) -- Naked taco salad w/ grilled chicken
D -- 2 slices of pizza, sugar snap peas, fresh pineapple

Exercise -- Over 13,000 steps

My mom was released from the hospital today so I brought her home, picked up her meds and groceries, and got her and her DH situated. She'll be out of commission for the next 2 weeks so I'll be on "nurse/errand/cooking duty" as needed. Ate out for lunch and picked up a pizza for dinner since today was a little chaotic and that was easy. Back on track with regular, home cooked meals tomorrow. I'm exhausted from the worry of the last couple days and am looking forward to lounging on the couch and watching an episode or two of True Blood: Season 3 tonight after kiddo goes to bed.

On a separate note, my new favorite kitchen gadget is a "Pineapple Easy Slicer" that I received for my birthday last month. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... sy-slicer/ It makes contending with fresh pineapple soooooo simple. It's awesome and I'm enjoying buying pineapple as it looks good/goes on sale. 8)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 pm

So much on your "life plate" right now! Do take good care of yourself and don't think you have to prepare all meals yourself. I am speaking from experience! Use your market's take out meals..or at least part of the meal..look for restaurants that have take out (Ruby Tuesday's meals are very nice) ... I drove myself a little crazy trying to keep two household's running as if there was no problem. I was starting to resent that the job was mine..and then felt guilty that I felt that way. I opened my little Four Agreements book one evening and read (something close to this) "Always do your best..no less..no more" It hit me that I was trying to do more than my best and that was leading to resentment at the situation. I backed up and started "ordering in"/used paper plates whenever possible/gave myself permission to just say, "That would be nice but I just can't do it." Good luck! I'll be thinking about you!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:00 am

Thinking good thoughts for you and your family.

My partner is paraplegic, and uses adaptive hand controls to drive. Is your mother's husband someone who might benefit from something like that? It might be something to consider in the future.

Please forgive me if that's too personal a question.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:43 am

praying your mom has a speedy recovery and you, the energy.
Denise
Denise

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 am

Sophia!! All the best to you and yours and here's to a speedy recovery for your mom!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks so much for your prayers & well-wishes! I went to bed at 8 last night and feel refreshed and energized. The main thing is that my mom will be fine. The whole ordeal had been rather scary and I'm so relieved that she's on the mend.

Grammy -- I *love* your sage advice to "Always do your best..no less..no more" ... I own The Four Agreements but haven't read it in years. I'll have to pull it off the shelf. Good stuff that. :wink:

Who Me -- It's amazing what they are able to come up with to make life more accessible! ... My mom's husband is severely sight impaired to the extent that he isn't legally allowed to drive -- just wouldn't be safe -- but it won't be a big deal for me to help out for a couple of weeks ... It sounds like your partner has made fantstic strides!! (My DH has a disability as well -- he has Muscular Dystrophy -- though he is still mobile with the aid of leg braces ... He has a great attitude and is a huge inspiration to everyone who knows him.)

Denise & Roxy -- Thanks again for your thoughts & prayers! You ladies are the best!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:05 am

Wednesday 6/8/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- Slice of pizza, sugar snap peas, fresh pineapple
D -- Lap salad, fresh pineapple

Exercise -- Over 13,000 steps

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:40 am

Coming in late with good wishes for your mom, but will add mine to the pile.

And do take care of yourself too. It's that oxygen-mask analogy... very true.

(Grammy, I also like that line!! Trying to do "more than your best" is a recipe for exhaustion and resentment.)

Will be thinking of you, Sophie.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks so much for the well-wishes, KCCC!

My mom is hanging in there and feeling a little better today. As for myself, I think I'm doing a decent job of putting on my oxygen mask first. I've given myself some deadline grace on a couple of projects that I had originally intended to finish this week and am keeping up with self-care (walking, sleep, No S, etc.) It all helps. And today was actually quite easy and I was able to play catch-up which was good. =)

Thursday 6/9/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- Burrito w/ beans/rice/cheese, minneola
D -- Tacos, red pepper & cucumber slices, watermelon

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:32 am

Friday 6/10/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- Pizza, cucumber & red pepper slices, minneola
D -- Taco salad w/ grilled chicken, tortilla chips w/ queso

Should be a fun weekend! We are going to see Taylor Swift in concert tomorrow night. This is my 8 year old's first "big concert" and she is giddy about seeing her favorite singer live. Very cute!

Have a good one, all! :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Saturday June 11, 2011 & Sunday June 12, 2011 -- S Days -- SUCCESS

S Days haven't been over the top. Saturday was 3 squares, including a slice of homemade whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread for my breakfast, plus one small dessert later in the day. Sunday is panning out to be the same.

I had over 11,000 steps on Saturday and am already over 10,000 for today so all is well on the exercise front as well.

The concert last night was fantastic. 8) Getting there was a bit of adventure -- we were stuck in gridlock traffic within 1-2 miles of the venue for 3 hours :P :roll: -- and we missed the opening acts but saw all of Taylor Swift's performance. In the end, it was all worth it.

Tired today from a busy week and weekend. Kiddo finishes up school this week so we'll be adjusting to our summer routine very soon. We have a lot planned and it will be nice to have her home. :)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:25 am

The rest of Sunday went by without any major consequence. Had a 9" plate of food for dinner, including a 1/2 slice of the leftover banana bread, and was done for the day.

Monday 6/13/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- Slice of pizza, sugar snap peas, 1/2 minneola
D -- Rolled omelet w/ sharp cheddar & bacon, red pepper slices, baked potato wedges

Exercise -- Not sure precisely how many steps. Spent a good portion of day at a waterpark field trip and didn't wear pedometer. Had over 12,500 steps on pedometer so definitely over that. Even with sunscreen, I got a little sunburned today -- including the tops of my feet :oops: -- and hope that doesn't impede my walking/ activity level tomorrow.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 am

Tuesday 6/14/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS

L -- Pizza, blueberries, grapes, small serving Munchos
D -- Beef stroganoff over egg noodles, red pepper slices, cucumber slices

Exercise -- Over 15,000 steps, including mowing front lawn

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:35 am

Wednesday 6/15/2011 -- N Day -- SUCCESS
L -- PBJ, pepper/cucumber slices, blueberries, Cheez-Its
D (Noodles & Co. to celebrate DD's last day of school) -- Mac & cheese w/ steamed broccoli, unsweetened iced tea w/ splash of low-cal lemonade *** I like the mac & cheese at Noodles but rarely get it because it is 900 calories :shock: for a regular sized bowl which, even for a non-calorie counter like me, sounds like an awful lot. I was in the mood for it tonight, though, and decided to splurge.***

Exercise -- Over 12,000 steps, including mowing back lawn

It has been 21 days since I started logging my No S/exercise habits. 8) I feel like I'm back on solid ground and have gotten out of the sloppy, inconsistent non-compliant behavior rut that I had gotten into. It feels great. My weight has been hanging out around 123-124 lbs (123.8 this morning.) It goes up a little following S Days and dips down into the 123 range by Friday. I'm down a couple of pounds overall since late May and the trend line does seem to continue to be heading s-l-o-w-l-y down. I'm not really interested in changing my current habits -- by eating less, restricting S Days, or basically doing anything that I wouldn't be able to keep up with on a long-term basis --- so wherever it winds up is fine. I'm solidly in the normal range for my height and, while not skinny by any stretch of the imagination, I am relatively trim and feel good about myself. Good enough is good enough. As long as I'm on track with my habits, I'm not going to sweat it.

Lesson learned: I'm a "slippery sloper" who does best with consistent, somewhat strict habits. While I am able to be a little loose during special times, like vacation, without issue, I do best with clear structure on a normal day-to-day basis and I do best when I keep accountable by tracking my habits.

In terms of the food/exercise journaling, I need to figure out where to go from here. I'm not sure that the specific details of my daily eating/exercise habits are of interest to anyone but myself ... and even the latter is a little questionable. :lol: :wink: One option would be to track stuff privately on my iPhone, like I've been doing successfully with my weight, and use this thread as a periodic check-in. Regardless, I do think that keeping some sort of a food journal, at least in the short term, is a good plan for me. Maybe I'll use the Foodish app and the iStepLog app. Maybe I'll continue to log here. I'll think on it.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 am

Congratulations on getting back on track. You sound very centered and happy with who you are are where you are in life. That is an admirable trait and one many of us are trying to zero in on. Your life sounds as chaotic and anyones and yet you seem to swing left, then right, then slow on center. Keep telling us your secrets and inspiring us to follow in your footsteps. You are the goal we are all working toward.
I'm baaaack.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:28 am

Sounds like you are doing well, hope your mother is recovering nicely. :wink:

I personally love reading about what people are eating, what they are doing with their families, what kind of exercise they prefer - I think it makes us a community, like talking on the front stoop or over the back fence (depending on where one might live).
Berry

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:22 am

Sue2 -- Wow, thank you so much for your very kind words! I am completely flattered. I just want to clarify, lest anyone be mistaken, that like everyone else, I am a work in progress and there are many areas where I do not feel all that centered and a couple where, frankly, some major self-improvement would be ideal. So, yes, my life is as chaotic as anyone else's and I do not have it all together. I will say that for a long time my unhappiness about weight was all-consuming and that, perhaps the best thing about having found a sense of peace through No S, is that it has freed up mental space to a extent that I am beginning to chip away at some other areas of my life that need improvement. I think too that some of the skills I am learning -- about moderation, about the importance of structure and habit, about being gentle with myself and not giving up even when I fail and fall flat on my face -- have given me hope that I will be able to eventually successfully resolve some of my other long-standing problems. Life is managed, not cured, as the saying goes. One day at a time. :wink:

SR -- Thanks for thinking of my mom! She had a small set back (infected wound) but is doing so much better... And, yes, I'm back on track as well. I know that you have BTDT with having success and later needing to get back on course. I so admire your attitude and persistence!

And I too enjoy the glimpses of others' lives -- both food-related and not -- that shine through via their posts. Lots of inspiration there and it is like being part of a community.

Finding the perfect food journal for my iPhone is turning out to be a challenge. I really love the simplicity and concept of the Foodish app. The premise is that you keep a photo journal. I like the idea of being able to snap a pic and later be able to look and see what I've eaten. The problem? I have a difficult time remembering to take the photo! :lol: I was 0 for 3 yesterday ... There are some other well-reviewed apps but most of them involve calorie counting which is not what I am looking for either.

Yesterday was a SUCCESS and my step count was over 12,000.

mamamia

Post by mamamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Sophia - I know what you mean about the apps. I tried Fitnesspal for a while, but I got tired of the tedium of logging in every bit of food, counting the calories. Even if you get within your calorie limit you might overdo the fat or sodium, etc, and it was very defeating! Yay No-S!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Glad you mother is doing better, Sophia.

Yes, I came here a couple years ago, all energized. Lost a lot of weight, too much weight, thought Oh Dear, I better get back to eating more snacks :D
Could have just eaten ore good healthy food, but I did not.

But, I returned last year, admitted my defeat and re committed. A few rough patches but the last few months have been a breeze. I get it, I finally get it.

:wink:
Berry

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:20 am

MamaMia -- Yes, yay No S! :D If I wanted to cc, I suspect that some of those apps would make the process easier but it is a relief to have an alternative. I'd just like an App for that :lol: and I guess Reinhard is working on it.

Berry -- Believe me, I completely understand! I'm getting it too. This isn't a race and there is no finish line. :wink:

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:45 am

Friday was a green SUCCESS, though I ate out twice. The first time was planned. DD and I were running some errands in preparation for Father's Day and treated ourselves to a girls' lunch out at Olga's. Then one of DH's leg braces -- which he needs to walk securely -- cracked in half while he was at work and, following an emergency trip to orthodics, got home a little early and suggested dinner at a Middle Eastern place before DD's first swim meet. I stuck to 3 plates and made relatively good choices but I suspect the scale will be up today. It was 122.8 yesterday. Step count was about 12,000.

I'm so excited about this weekend! My sister is in town on a whirlwind trip and I get to meet my newborn nephew today for the first time. :D Can't wait! ... We'll be heading to a family BBQ today. Tomorrow is all about DH and he has selected some of the menu -- his favorite homemade coffecake for breakfast, Famous Dave's for lunch, dinner TBD.

Have a good weekend, all! 8)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:49 pm

The last week was really crazy in terms of scheduling. Everyone is tired and a bit out of sorts. We were out a lot and even the dog has been a bit anxious/not eating because the rest of us were gone so much. I'm relieved that we should be into a summer-edition of our normal routine this week. I really am a creature of habit. :wink:

S Days were fine. I felt really good about Saturday. I didn't permasnack even though there was tons of it going on at the BBQ and really enjoyed my 3 meals. DH and I split a piece of angelfood cake with strawberries and a small slice of Bumpy Cake for dessert. Yesterday was heavier and more junky than I would have liked -- the meal options were all picked by DH since it was Father's Day --- and I had a second dessert later in the evening to boot. But it wasn't completely over the top. Inevitably the scale was up a lot today -- 125.6 -- some of it probably bloat from excess sodium/calories and some perhaps due to pending TOM. I expect that the numbers will go down by next week.

I got in over 10,000 steps on both Saturday and on Sunday.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Monday and Tuesday were Successes, both in terms No S and my step count. With DD home for the summer, I am finding that I am sometimes needing to be a little creative about getting those steps completed if I don't get up early to get a good walk in ... which is my preference. I've been successfully tracking my food (w the Foodish app), exercise and weight on my iPhone for the last number of days and am happy with how that has been going. I plan to keep plugging away. I have a big project that I need to complete in the next several days so I'm going to focus on that and depend on habit/tracking to keep me on course... We will be on vacation in early July and my game plan for that is do the "S Event Vacation" mod. :arrow: I'll check-in after our trip. :)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:37 am

On vacation. î² I've been getting in over 10,000 steps everyday and am having to "go with the flow" a bit in terms of food. We are visiting with family, who are major snackers, and regular meals are not always available. While I haven't been snacking, we have eaten out a fair amount due to travel and dinner has typically been a small plateful of whatever I can come up with from my MIL's fridge. Several special dessert opportunities have come up. Shared some divine cheesecake with my family during a daytrip to NYC yesterday. î”

To put life in perspective, my MIL has short bowel syndrome, the result of some complications from cancer-related surgery that she almost two years ago. As a result, my MIL has to depend on TPN for nearly 100% of her nourishment. She barely eats all -- literally just bites a day -- since those calories can't sustain her anyway and digestion is painful. Given all if this, I'm not all that inclined to make a big deal out of meals or what food is available in general. î†

Home next week. Having fun and it is wonderful to see everyone but it will be good to get back into my routine. Weight-wise, I'm guessing it might take me a week or two to recover from this trip. We'll see.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:26 am

Back from vacation. I'm up 5 lbs as of now. Weight was 122.6 on the day we left and 127.6 this morning, two days after getting back home and one day after getting back on track with No S. I know full well that some of this is travel bloat from eating out frequently, excess sodium, etc, but the truth is that I'm not thrilled about these numbers. I wanted to record this so I can keep it mind for the next time we go on vacation. :P

Exercise was stellar on vacation. Got in over 10,000 steps every day, even if it meant hitting the hotel treadmill, and my daily average during the trip was over 13,000.

Eating was slightly chaotic. We were with assorted family who have very different eating habits/needs and we ate out a lot during travel and trips to NYC, Philly and DC. I stuck to the basic 3 meal structure as best as I could. I did have a (typically shared) dessert most days and, a couple times, had a snack or two on days when lunch or dinner was going to be a number of hours later than usual. Overall, I felt like I did the best I could given the circumstances. I didn't indulge as much as I could have and tried to be mindful about my choices.

Anyway, numbers on the scale aside, it was a lovely vacation and nice to spend time with loved ones. Back on track with No S, exercise and tracking habits. :arrow: Crossing my fingers that it doesn't take too long to recover.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:35 am

HI! and WELCOME BACK from vacation, soph! Glad you had a nice time !!

I too, gained 5lbs last time I went on vacation but the good news was it came off quickly! You are and continue to do GREAT!!!

Sorry to hear about your MIL btw. It certainly puts things into perspective doesn't it?

Take care, hon and all the best to you and yours!!

Love Roxy x

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks Roxy! :D The scale is inching down (127 today) I know that if I stay the course, I'll get back to where I was eventually.

I'm contemplating doing a Couch to 5K. My motivation for this is because my 8 year old wants to do a "Girls on the Run" program this Fall and, when I was reading the website last night, saw that they strongly encourage parents to participate as well. DH, who loved to run before the Muscular Dystrophy progressed, simply can't at this point so that leaves me. I've never really run before and am not even sure if I can (due to a chronic pain condition) ... But I do want to encourage my DD in this and it would be 8) to help her train. So I think I'm going to give it a shot. Started listening to the audiobook of "Born to Run" on my walk this morning for some running inspiration and tips.

I'm aiming to keep this upcoming weekend relatively light. I may have a small dessert or two but, given that I'm still recovering from vacation excess, don't want to overdue. DH and I have a date scheduled for tonight (going to see the last Harry Potter movie. sniff.) but I'm planning on keeping today green.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Go, Sophiasapienta! I know those vacation pounds will drop away fast once you're on your normal routine.

I did the C2-5K a few years ago, then decided running was not for me. (Aggravated neck issues - the jarring compacted my spine, I think.) But it's a do-able program. There are iTunes downloads if you have an iPod that will "count" for you.

Roxy is right, your MIL's situation puts things in perspective. (TPN??)

We are waiting to see HP until next week, when we can round up a few people... I've heard it's good!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for the support KCCC! ... I hope that you enjoy the movie if you haven't seen it already! We are partial to the HP books in my house but enjoy the movies as well.

TPN stands for Total Parenteral Nutrition. Basically, it is formula (w glucose, lipids, vitamins, etc) that is fed intravenously when one isn't able to eat or digest food. In my MIL's case, most of her gut was removed due to some complications from a cancer-related surgery and her body isn't able to absorb any nutrition from normal eating ... At age 62, my MIL has truly been through more than a person should have to go through in a lifetime -- heart disease, Muscular Dystrophy, cancer, short bowel syndrome, etc -- and is a true inspiration in her attitude and persistance.

Weight this morning: 125.6

Friday was a FAIL (had some candy at the movie. pretty much a waste of an S.) :P Saturday and Sunday were typical S Days. Nothing over the top but we did eat out twice and I had a dessert each day. Back on track with an N Day yesterday and I am planning a successful, normal week.

I started a C25K program on Saturday morning. I found a cool App for my iPhone called "Get Running" which focuses primarily on gearing one to eventually run or jog for 30 minutes (rather than on the 5k aspect.) This perfect for me. I'm pretty slow. My "run" is more like a "wog" (walk/jog) at this point and I'm fine with that. Perhaps down the line I can focus on distance/pace but getting myself to jog at all right now is a huge success. I'm enjoying it so far. I like the App, too, because I love listening to audiobooks when I'm working out and this pauses the book when it is giving instruction/encouragement. 8)

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:36 pm

That sounds like a really good programe. I wouldn't worry to much about speed, in my experience the fitter you get the more you find your natural pace, one of the most common mistakes that new runners make is to set off too fast, get completely pooped, or worse injured, and then quit thinking they can't do it. Your approach sound infinitely more sensible.

I love running and completed a half marathon a year ago, however since the end of last year I have been unable to run due to injuring my knees, the rehabilitation of which is ongoing, I am hoping to get back to it by the end of September and I can't wait. All of this is by way of introducing my other tip for new runners which is, whatever you do get good shoes, preferably from a shop which analyses how you run and gives you running shoes which adjust your gait accordingly!

Good luck with your running endevours, if you stick with it you will really surprise yourself, I know I did!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks so much the tips Linguisticsgirl! They are very helpful! :D I'm definitely going to need to improve my shoe situation in the near future. Mine are meant for walking and are rubbing my heel. Fortunately, we have some good running stores in the area.

BTW, I was excited to see that you are from Brighton. I spent a couple of terms at the University of Sussex for a Study Abroad program when I was an undergrad (over 15 years ago! yikes!) and have fond memories of my time in that area. I haven't been back to the UK since but hope to do so eventually. :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 am

Yesterday was a success for No S and exercise.

I'm awake far too early because we received the difficult news yesterday that my Dad has been diagnosed with a moderately aggressive form of the c-word. :( The bad news is that the biopsy results weren't all that great. The good news is that things haven't spread and they caught it fairly early. He is weighing treatment options. I'm in shock -- my Dad has always seemed infallible -- and worried but hopeful that he'll have a complete and successful recovery... My DH pointed out that now 3 out of 4 of our parents have had cancer, two with it currently. What the heck is going on?! :x

Another reminder that the habits I am building here are as much for health as they are for vanity and well-being. I know that there aren't any safeguards but I might as well be as proactive as I can.

I guess I 'll head out in a bit and get my c25k session in before the heat index rises.

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 am

I am very sorry to hear about your father, I hope that he manages to make a full recovery, it sounds like at least it was caught early enough to make that look like a good possibility. It also sounds like you are doing everything you can to be healthy yourself which has to be a good thing regardless of potential genetic inheritance.

I'm glad you have fond memories of Brighton, I have only lived here a little over a year but it already feels like home. I love it.

Hope you enjoyed your run!

Sarah

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Sorry to hear about your father too. Hopefully, he will make a speedy recovery. They can do so much more now than they could at one time. I understand your concern regarding family history of cancer and dealing with a lot of it in a relatively short period of time. My husband and I had the same experience with my mother and his mother and father. Very hard to deal with and such a feeling of helplessness. All you can do is be supportive and be their cheering section when they need it. You are right that it gives you yet another reason to stay healthy. Of course we will all eventually die of something but in the meantime it is a great goal to stay healthy as long as possible. Good luck to your family.
I'm baaaack.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks so much for your well wishes, Sarah & Sue2! They are very much appreciated! ... My Dad told me today that he wants to wait until after mid October to begin any treatment because has a few big, long awaited events coming up between now and early October. I don't think anyone else in my family thinks that this is a great plan. :roll: :( I hoping that his doctors don't either when he brings it up to them and/or that we can convince him otherwise.

Another hot day here. Run was slow but good. Weight was 125.2 so continuing to head back to where it was pre-vacation.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm so sorry to hear your having to deal with yet another illness in your family. It just reminds me to appreciate my loved ones every day, as it can be any of us. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts for my Dad, Denise.

I guess it has been awhile since I checked in. My Dad had his cancer surgery 2 weeks ago. The pathology report looks good and he is on the mend. We are very grateful.

In the meantime, my college roommate and dear friend, at age 36, was diagnosed with breast cancer over the summer. This was a complete shock. She's fit, eats well, and was even breasfeeding her little one when diagnosed. :( She had cancer surgery yesterday and will start the rest of her treatment soon.

All of this to say, is that health has been on our minds. Given that 3 out of 4 of our parents have had cancer, DH and I have come to the conclusion that we need to be proactive about our own health. After doing some research, we've decided to move toward a plant based diet. For me, this is no biggie. I was a strict lacto-ova vegetarian for 10 years before marrying DH. My 8 year old isn't much of a meat eater either. My DH is struggling a bit, though. We are taking baby steps. I'm cooking mostly, but not exclusively, vegetarian or vegan meals at home. We haven't completely eliminated meat at this point but we are eating a lot less of it. The goal is to move more intentionally toward the "Eat food. Mostly Plants. Not too much," that Michael Pollan speaks of in his work.

I haven't been perfect on No S recently. I've definitely done some stress eating and had more red days than I'd care to admit. My weight has crept up a bit, hanging in the 125-127 range. Today it was 127.2. I'm ready to get back on track. In terms of exercise, I ran 3 days a week, in addition to walking, for a lot of the summer and am back to walking exclusively now. Still wearing my pedometer and all is going well with that. I'd like to start incorporating some strength training soon.

Today (Planned):
B -- Half bagel w cc
L -- Hummus sandwich, broccoli, grapes, small portion chips
D -- Red lentil enchiladas, red pepper slices, black corn chips w salsa

Exercise -- Walk and mow the front lawn

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:16 pm

((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) So sorry to hear about your friend/dad's health challenges, hun!! By the same token, that is excellent news about your dad too! I am glad to hear he is on the mend.

Thanks for posting again - we've missed you :) However, glad your good self is doing well and still no Sing!! It is the best!!

Take care,

All my love and best wishes , Roxy xxxxx

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Hugs back at you Roxy! It is great to "see" you ... You've been doing so, so well. You go Girl! 8) 8) :D

Yesterday went just as planned. The red lentil enchiladas were a hit with DH which pleased me. I'm checking a bunch of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks from the library to get ideas. I'd like to build a larger repetoire of healthy, yummy, veggie-based dishes that everyone in the household enjoys.

I've been meeting up with a group of friends for coffee on Wednesday mornings which has been really nice. We gather at an excellent bakery but I enjoy a nice cup of coffee and the conversation. I've had to explain a few times that I'm trying to avoid eating sweets during the week but this hasn't been a big deal.

One of the health-related changes I've made recently is to cut out drinking diet soda at home. I had been having a "pick me up" glass of Coke Zero in the afternoon and sometimes another at dinner or even in the evening. I've decided that drinking all of those chemicals can't be good for me, especially when my water intake was not where it should be. So, I'm drinking more water, drinking less soda and I've noticed that my complexion is looking better. :wink: DH hasn't kicked the diet soda habit so it is still in the house but so far, I'm doing fine.

Overall, just feeling really happy and good. :D

Weight this morning: 126

On the menu for today:

B -- Half bagel w cc
Out -- Latte
L -- Leftover red lentil enchiladas, broccoli, grapes
D (planned) -- Homemade tomato soup, tossed salad, pesto focaccia from bakery, slices of extra sharp cheddar

Exercise: Walk. (Gorgeous outside today! Yay! :D )

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:08 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the health struggles in your life too, but glad to hear folks are doing well for now. Those sound like really fantastic changes to your diet for your family. And red lentil enchiladas sound interesting. I'd love to see the recipe.

Julie

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks so much, Julie! I'm glad that everyone is doing OK right now, too.

I found the recipe for Green & Red Enchiladas in the "Peas and Thank You: Simple Meals the Whole Family Will Love" cookbook by Sarah Matheny. She has it posted on her blog. It can either be vegetarian or vegan, depending on what you want. I made it with cheese and left out the cilantro (for DH) and the jalapeno (for DD) and only put olives on my portion. :wink: :)

http://peasandthankyou.com/recipage/?re ... enchiladas

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:10 am

shannon, it sounds like you have been through alot. I'm glad things seem to be going better for you, though. It's amazing how health issues by our loved ones brings it all home for us too. Good for you for taking care of yourself and family. I pray for the best for your family and friend.
Denise
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:17 am

Hi Denise! :D :D :D Thanks so much for the prayers for my loved ones; they are greatly appreciated ... How are you doing? I hope that all is well with you & yours.

On track yesterday.

On today's menu:
B-- Half bagel w cc, coffee
L (Planned) -- Hummus & roasted red pepper "quesadilla," carrots, banana, few blue tortilla chips
D (Planned) -- Homemade pizza, tossed salad

Exercise: Walk & either mow backyard or weights

I'd like to add in doing N-Day strength training to my routine, starting with a 5 minute commitment. I am exempt from this on days when I do a lot of yardwork and on S Days.

Today's weight: 125.8

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to checking her out.

Reading your posts I'm feeling inspired to really cut down the meat I'm eating. I'm thinking I might go ahead and eat meat at restaurants and other people's houses, but limit stuff at home to just fish. And keep even that to a sometimes. After using up what I already own, of course.

Julie

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 pm

Shannon
We are doing really well. I'm busier than normal now that we've moved. I kept my kids in there old school district, so alot more driving for me and more driving for work. I have one kid doing independent study at home, so life it busy, but it's that way for most of us huh?
I pretty much follow No S, but unconciously. It's become that much of a habit. Don't really desire sweet's too much anymore even on S day's. I don't weigh myself, pretty much over that, but know I probably have some weight to lose. Just focusing on being healthy. I loved that recipe you linked too. Just bought some red lentils and I'm looking forward to trying it.
It's nice to see you back on the board, as always.
Talk to ya soon.
Denise
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:48 pm

thtrchic wrote:Thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to checking her out.

Reading your posts I'm feeling inspired to really cut down the meat I'm eating. I'm thinking I might go ahead and eat meat at restaurants and other people's houses, but limit stuff at home to just fish. And keep even that to a sometimes. After using up what I already own, of course.

Julie
Hey Julie -- Sounds like a great & very reasonable plan! :wink: I'm thinking along the same lines here except that, realistically, we'll probably eat meat at home sometimes, mostly because my DH is far more enthusiatic about this plan if he gets a vote (i.e. a lot less meat is fine but no meat, not so much.)

Way to go on the C25K, btw! You are doing great! :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:56 pm

dmarie710 wrote:Shannon
We are doing really well. I'm busier than normal now that we've moved. I kept my kids in there old school district, so alot more driving for me and more driving for work. I have one kid doing independent study at home, so life it busy, but it's that way for most of us huh?
I pretty much follow No S, but unconciously. It's become that much of a habit. Don't really desire sweet's too much anymore even on S day's. I don't weigh myself, pretty much over that, but know I probably have some weight to lose. Just focusing on being healthy. I loved that recipe you linked too. Just bought some red lentils and I'm looking forward to trying it.
It's nice to see you back on the board, as always.
Talk to ya soon.
Denise
I'm glad that things are going well & hope that you are enjoying the new house! I totally understand about the extra driving. I drive my kiddo to and from school everyday and it certainly takes a chunk of time. I bet your kids appreciated staying in the same district with their old friends, though.

It sounds like you are doing so well with focusing on being healthy and unconciously following No S. It's so cool that you are not craving the sweets. I'm not there yet ... I'm generally fine during the week but a good dessert on S Days is still an essential for me or I get cranky/feel deprived. :lol: :wink:

Anyway, so glad that you are still around, too! :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Yesterday went well except I forgot about my new strength training commitment until late, after I had showered, and decided to skip it at that point. :oops: Determined to keep today Green ... This will be my first week without any reds for No S in awhile and I feel good about that.

On today's menu:
B-- Half bagel w cc, coffee
L -- Cheese quesadilla, carrots, banana, few blue tortilla chips
D (Planned) -- Egg salad sandwich on sourdough, Honeycrisp apple slices, sugar snap peas, chips

Exercise: Walk & mow backyard.

Busy Friday night. DD has piano lessons and swimming after school so she and I will eat a "picnic" between the two. Not crazy about this type of schedule, where we can't sit down for a proper meal as a family and are so hurried, but it isn't every week and will only be for a finite time.

This morning's weight: 125.4

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 am

Ready for a week of N Days. The weekend was good. We ate out a lot on Saturday. The dinner I made last night was a complete flop. :oops: I used my usual crockpot chili recipe but added Morning Star crumbles and extra kidney beans instead of beef. I don't think that crumble stuff is meant to be cooked for hours at a time. :P It was chewy and nasty. I'd like to keep processed food at home to a minimum in any event ... Thankfully, DD and I had made a beautiful homemade apple pie for dessert. :wink:

On the menu for today:

B -- Half bagel w cc, coffee
L --Quesadilla, tortilla chips, apple slices
D (Planned) -- Autumn Green Salad, Homemade Rosemary bread w EVOO for dipping ... The rest of the family will also have leftover pie for dessert.

Exercise -- Walk & yardwork
Last edited by sophiasapientia on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

determined

Post by determined » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Apple pie can make so many things better! :)

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:09 pm

determined wrote:Apple pie can make so many things better! :)

janie
Indeed it does! :D :wink:

Today's menu:
L (Planned) -- Homemade lemon lentil soup, slice of rosemary bread, yellow pepper slices
D (Planned) -- Veggie burger, baked acorn squash, oven fries

Exercise:
Walk & yardwork

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 am

Today's plan:
Out -- Latte
L -- Lemon lentil soup, leftover acorn squash, maybe small piece of rosemary bread
D -- Pasta w homemade meat sauce, tossed salad

Exercise: Walk & strength training

This morning's weight: 126.8

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:03 am

Today's plan:
L -- Lemon lentil soup, Honeycrisp apple
D -- Rolled omelet, roasted brussel sprouts, homemade bread w butter

Exercise: Walk & strength training

This morning's weight: 124.8

Week is going well and is on track except for the strength training. I'm going to need to schedule it in or something.

Proud of myself yesterday for turning down many offers of sweets at bakehouse and, when later in the day, I made pumpkin gingerbread, not having any of that either. Yet. :wink: I will have some for breakfast this weekend. :D

determined

Post by determined » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:15 pm

That's terrific!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks Janie! :)

Today's plan:
L -- Either PBJ on homemade bread or hummus w homemade bread, banana, carrots, maybe small portion of chips
D -- Homemade pizza, tossed salad

Exercise: Walk &, if not too wet, raking

This morning's weight: 124.2

Have a good weekend!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Dinner didn't go as planned last night. My friend called in the late afternoon and generously offered to watch both our girls -- they take semi-private swim lessons together on Friday nights and stay after to do family swim -- so that DH and I could have dinner out. So, we took her up on it which was lovely. But, since dinner was considerably later than normal, I was famished by the time we got to the Mexican restaurant and munched on a bunch of chips with queso in addition to my entree. So, it was a FAIL.

Today, we already had pumpkin gingerbread for breakfast and we'll go out for lunch (TBD) ... Tonight is my DD's best friend's birthday party. I'm friends with the other moms and we are going to hang out and chat while the kids swim. Pizza and cupcakes will be served. I'll definitely do the pizza. Not sure about the cupcakes. I'm a little picky about my S day desserts so we'll see. I may or may not opt to have something else earlier in the day.

In terms of exercise, I plan on taking the pooch for a nice long walk shortly. :D

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:58 pm

I will admit to disliking cupcakes. I really hate cheap, gloopy frosting, piled to excess on bland airy cake. Bleh.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Who Me? wrote:I will admit to disliking cupcakes. I really hate cheap, gloopy frosting, piled to excess on bland airy cake. Bleh.
I totally agree, Who Me ... I've had some yummy, good quality ones but often they just aren't "worth it" to me.

I'm glad that it is Monday and an N Day. We had a nice weekend and, while my food choices were perfectly fine, and I didn't permasnack or anything, they were rich and a little junky in places. Normal feels good. Busy day. Had my usual breakfast. I took DD to lunch at Panera following her Well Child Exam and I had a bowl of broccoli cheese soup and a baguette. Planning on a hashbrown breakfast casserole, steamed asparagus and apple slices for dinner. Already took the dog for a long walk.

I'm toying with the idea of taking an S Event this week. DH is taking the day off on Wednesday and we are chaperoning my DD's class field trip to the apple orchard. Cider and doughnuts will be served and I may partake. It will depend on whether they are fresh, etc, I reckon. :wink:

determined

Post by determined » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:11 pm

I LOVE the Broccoli-Cheese soup at Panera! It's definitely yummy!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:03 am

Janie -- It certainly hits the spot ... especially on cooler days. :D

Yesterday was a SUCCESS. Today was a FAIL. I'm not entirely sure what my issue is but I'm determined to leave it at a fender bender and not crash the car any furher tonight.

DD's field trip has been postponed due to weather so there's no reason to take an S event tomorrow.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Yesterday was a FAIL.

DH decided to take the day off after all and we went out for a kid-free lunch at our favorite place. We had a starter but otherwise it wasn't too bad. Later on, though, I had a small piece of candy (so not S worthy) and then, when DH was snacking on Cheez-Its in the evening, I munched on some of those too.

To be honest, not feeling great about my No S habit or choices this week. Guess I just need to "Mark and Move On" ...

Today:
B-- Half bagel w cc
L -- Small portion of homemade lentil soup, slice of rosemary bread, sugar snap peas, grapes
D (Planned??) -- Turkey/apple/cheddar meatballs, fresh veggie TBD, stuffing

Not really excited about this dinner. DH loves these meatballs and has been requesting them for ages ... but DD and I aren't as crazy about them so I've put off making them. I may fix something else for us.

Exercise: Pouring out. Dog really does need a walk so I'll either brave the weather. Or not and pop in a workout video.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:42 pm

Hanging in there. I haven't been entirely consistent recently and my weight is at the higher end of my personal acceptable range. Game plan is to keep track via Habit Cal type app (can't wait til the real one comes out) and to stay on course, especially over the next number of weeks. I want to enter into the holiday season in a good place, mentally and physically.

Oh ... and I just found out that I apparently won a contest at a favorite local bakery ... and, sometime in the near future will be receiving a large basket of goodies from the bakery. I'm hoping that I can freeze some and that prize comes closer to the weekend. :wink:

Happy Halloween!