Tobiasmom's Fresh Start

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tobiasmom

Tobiasmom's Fresh Start

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:31 am

I don't quite know what I'm doing right now. I just went to a Weight Watchers meeting yesterday and paid forty darn dollars and had decided to give it one hundred percent and really get this weight off! Well.......today was day 1 and I cannot for the life of me make myself count those darn points or eat nonfat crud or weigh or measure my meat. I just gorged myself this afternoon on sugar, sugar, sugar cuz I was feeling deprived. I'm miserable.

Why, do you ask, has the No-S cheerleader gone over to the "dark side"? Cuz I wasn't getting the results I wanted. Well, how could I? I wasn't sticking to it! I was half-heartedly following the plan. I was fooling myself into thinking I was really doing it. I've been on No-S for about six months. The first three months I was gung-ho full-force. This past three months have been more failures than successes. I have every excuse in the book, but the truth is I just flatout was not following the program. This is the most freeing plan existing. I never dreaded starting my day of eating with No-S the way I did this morning starting WW yet again.

So I'm starting a new check-in with a new start. I'm starting No-S over with fresh eyes and a new perspective. This is THE plan. It works. I love it. But I can't expect results if I don't follow it wholeheartedly! I'm back for good. Watch out world!!!

Now to explain why I'm not counting points on day 2 or going to meetings AGAIN to my poor hubby...........so embarrassing!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:00 am

Each new day is an opportunity to succeed! Don't beat yourself up too much.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:04 am

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))tobiasmom!

As Who Me? said please try not to beat yourself up over this. You know, I could have written your post word for word as the very same thing happened to me a few months ago, when I felt I wanted to try going back to a diet club I used to be a member of.

I too, felt sure I was doing the right thing since I felt at that time I wanted a change/jumpstart and I thought this was the way to go. I made a solemn commitment to my diet counsellor that I was giving it 110% etc, etc, this was the diet plan for me and paid $45 to rejoin, only to sense that feeling of dread the next morning! Needless to say, the diet club were calling me every 5 mins to get me to change my mind but after a few attempts, they stopped. Speaking from my own personal pov, I definitely felt I had made the right choice in deciding not to go back to the club. Don't get me wrong, there are still times when i wonder if I did the right thing or I think albeit a nanosecond - that i should go back and give it another go, but if i am being realistic, the diet club - whilst it may have been ideal for many people - just didn't work for me. I had been going there on and off for nigh on 5 yrs and despite a couple of lbs here and there, I never really lost very much weight. Anything I did lose, unfortunately I never managed to keep off for long. However, hon, it is entirely up to your good self what you decide to do. But I think you have made the right decision by sticking with No S. Good luck!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Bride

Post by Bride » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Tobiasmom, cheering you on :)

NoSnacker

Re: Tobiasmom's Fresh Start

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:20 pm

tobiasmom wrote: I just went to a Weight Watchers meeting yesterday and paid forty darn dollars and had decided to give it one hundred percent and really get this weight off! Well.......today was day 1 and I cannot for the life of me make myself count those darn points...Now to explain why I'm not counting points on day 2 or going to meetings AGAIN to my poor hubby...........so embarrassing!
Wow been there done that...if someone asked me to count a point or calorie today I would do the same as you.

You have given this a lot of thought and found your way back with new insights into what you need to do for yourself and facing yourself..

Now hug yourself...you can do it..

Maybe he won't notice if you don't say anything..and it is only money right..your sanity far outweighs the loss of $40...

Here's to NOT counting...
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

tobiasmom

so...

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Will I ever learn? I "TRIED" to count points Wed, Thur, and today and failed miserably. I guess I just wanted to give it an honest shot since I paid and did really enjoy the meeting. And the honest truth is.........it is just truly NOT for me!

Going into S days, I am going to stick with what I know. I know I said that a couple days ago, but there is still a major learning curve for me here. The past 20 years of dieting have caused some damage. It's gonna take a bit to undo a lot of craziness I have inside of me! ha.

So I mean it this time when I say I am not counting a single point this weekend! I will be having my three meals and a few S day treats...period! I surprisingly am not beating myself up. Live and learn; right?

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:38 am

you know what happens with counting calories, points..we will most of the time go over.

i know if i added the calories i eat now i would be over and that would send me in a tail spin of binging...

as you i have been dieting since for 30+ years now, from starving, diet pills, numerous plans..just to never reach goal and fail.

OH wait I did reach a couple low goals of 130 and 144..and guess what I was doing to get there.

breakfast, larger lunch, dinner and NO snacks..

mmmm, glad i posted this as i totally forgot how i got there..

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:35 pm

*hugs* welcome back to NoS :)

The great thing about NoS is that one failure is ok, you can just get back on the wagon the next day and continue to build those habits. The danger for those of us that find habits hard to break/build, is thinking it's alright to keep having failures. I've had a few weeks where I wasn't even trying to have green days! I was following NoS (ish) but just slipping up way too often.

Enjoy your S days, roll on Monday and pain free N days with no counting or tracking, woop! :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:59 pm

If you enjoy the Weight Watchers meetings THEN GO! You do not have to follow every aspect of the program in order to benefit from the support group aspect. They also provide recipes and nutritional information that could be useful. You do not have to track anything, JUST GO and enjoy the meetings if you want to!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:13 pm

r.jean: You are right! I was thinking of maybe going to the meeting anyway since it was really supportive and I probably could get some good healthy tips. No more counting points for me, though!

Milliem: That's what I've really been struggling with for a few months now........just having red days and not caring too much about it. Of course No-S isn't working if I'm not actually following it! Duh! ha.

NoSnacker: I saw your post on the other board. You know what? I've never in my years of dieting considered just eating three meals a day. I've always counted points or calories or ate prepackaged diet meals. This No-S concept is completely new and revolutionary for me! It's just hard to change my mindset about all the dieting stuff (diethead).

Naebird

Post by Naebird » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:14 pm

I agree with r.jean, use the meetings. I mean you paid for it didn't you? Might as well.

I admit I have never stuck to counting anything ever. I would do it for a few days (counting calories) but when I tried to cook anything at home the math just defeated me, especially since so many things aren't out of a recipe book. They are just things I have made for eons.

I don't think that cutting out homecooking just so that I could count calories ever sounded like a sustainable or fun plan for me. I don't blame you at all for feeling icky about counting points. Forty bucks or no, you have to have a system that sets you up for success, not failure.

I am thinking you some huge hugs right now!
SW - 220 (started July 21, 2011)
CW - 208.4
GW - 165ish

5'11, 35 year old, girly girl

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle

Naebird- Getting healthier everyday!!

tobiasmom

Saturday

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Day 1: S DAY!

B: pecan waffle, two slices bacon

L: sandwich, yogurt

D: spaghetti bolognese (new recipe and it was AMAZING!), garlic bread

S day treat: apple pie a la mode at mom's night out

A very enjoyable day. No snacking between meals.....success! Had a wonderful dessert with some ladies from my mom's group. It cost $12, though. Darn ridiculous! It was a grill at the Holiday Inn...but still!

Feeling optimistic!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Congratulations on starting over. Sometimes a new broom sweeps clean. I concur with going to the WW meetings. Fun and informative. They don't have to know you aren't following their plan.
No S really isn't a diet, you know. It is teaching yourself to eat sensibly and to stop obsessing about food and eating. No diet that counts anything can make that claim. BUT, and here is the wall we all run up against eventually, if teaching ourselves to eat sensibly was so darned easy, we would have done it a long time ago. Counting points, calories, carbs etc takes time, practice, dedication and discipline. Changing our habits and our mindset about food takes time, practice, dedication and discipline too but the rewards are great. You can eat what you want as long as you are your own best friend and treat your body as it deserves to be treated. Easier said than done <<sigh>> but with practice we can do it. When we were kids and we were learning how to walk, talk, read and write, it took countless hours of practice and many, many falls but eventually we did it because we really, really wanted to learn to walk, talk, read and write. We have to really, really want to learn how to eat normally and then practice and practice until we get it right. When a child writes a backwards b or trips over a big word, we don't say the child has failed. We work with the child until they can do it. Treat yourself like a child who is trying to learn a new skill and be as kind to that child as you are to Tobias. Good luck. I know you (we) can do it.
I'm baaaack.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Twelve bucks for apple pie is pretty crazy. Good thing you don't do that every day, huh?

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:28 pm

hey you I just came back around again.......looks like you had some ups and down and I totally relate!!!!!
This can be done!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

tobiasmom

sunday

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Day 2: S DAY!

B: cereal and milk, black coffee

L: Bill Miller BBQ, a couple pieces of dessert (church potluck)

D: chicken, baked beans, bread, one small rice krispie treat

Haven't worked out the past two days. I really want to get back on the walking train. I feel sooooo much better when I'm getting outside and walking every day, but the heat here has been craziness. 108 degrees today. I am a major heat weenie!

Feeling good. Thanks everybody for all the encouragement. I am here to finish this race! Of course the race never truly ends, but I'd like to move on to a new chapter in life (maintenance). I have a long way to go, but you always gotta run the first mile to finish the marathon; right? One foot in front of the other.........

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Day 3: SUCCESS!

B: egg, bacon, and cheese sandwich, black coffee

L: leftover chicken pasta and one slice of toast

D: leftover spaghetti bolognese and salad...yum!

Workout: walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes listening to "The Hunger Games". I gave up on "The Hour I First Believed." It is waaaaay too long....28 hours on audiobook. Plus, I'm going to join a new book club that meets on Sunday afternoon instead of during the week. They are doing The Hunger Games for September. Interesting read so far.

Feeling good. I am pretty hungry right now but am waiting for my dinner in a little over an hour. I won't die from a little stomach hunger...honestly!!!!!!
Last edited by tobiasmom on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 pm

(((((((((hugs)))))))tobiasmom! I haven't been posting here so much lately but still lurking and reading everyone's posts! Congratulations on your continuing journey with No S. As the other posters have said, if you feel you are enjoying the WW Meetings and they are indeed of benefit to you, by all means, you could continue. On the other hand, if you think the 'points' aspect of their plan, whether or not you are following them, would be a concern/hinderance, then you might want to give them a miss. Whatever works for your good self is the main thing.

Dieting or should I rephrase that to say - eating is very much an emotional thing. A good friend of mine (whom I haven't seen in a while) has managed to lose a good deal of weight on her 'own' diet plan. Crazy though it sounds, all of a sudden, the 5 lbs I have lost seems insignificant in comparison! We're about the same height and build and she is right where I would like to be right now. So of course, this 'defeatist' thinking (now I am coming back to my senses!) has had the opposite effect and instead of having a nice regular N Day and carrying on patiently, feeling good about myself etc., I get these inexplicable cravings for sweet, sickly and fatty foods, start baking and nibbling etc., the old pattern of behavior that I had managed to overcome this past month or so, comes back with a bang!! I'm really annoyed with myself right now. I managed to stop before I had a 'proper all out ' binge but just when i think I'm 'out of the woods'.... not going to be defeatist though! Had enough of that. Just going to carry on from here and try to be patient. It was a close call, though!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 am

Hi, I know you said that you have S day issues and you were a tad hungry yesterday. I know for me it seems my S day's gone wild stretch my stomach and then I have to shrink it all over again.

Someone said on S days have one of each, 1 snack, 1 sweet, 1 seconds..mmm I think I might give that a try this weekend.

I to have also counted, weighed everyone, even counted my vitamins..crazy huh..

As for WW I have learned a whole lot about nutrition when I did go at the age of 27, broccoli mmmm what is that..so I'm not dogging what people learn there at all. I used to go to Overeater's anyonomus (spelling)...and loved the groups...I hope the meetings will you and you make some nice friends.

Have a great Tuesday.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Feeling good this morning. I really wanted a snack last night. I had a bit of a stressful evening with Tobias. I took him to a homeschool meeting, and he had a total breakdown. I got home and was just frustrated and embarrassed and wanting food! BUT I didn't eat anything. I just decided to go to bed and get rest! Exactly what I needed!

I have decided not to go to the WW meeting tonight. I have zero interest in doing the program. I have a scale here at home. I have tons of support here on these boards. What else could I need????

Thanks, everybody, for being so wonderful!

Loves.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:59 pm

I did not realize you were a homeschooler!!!! Awesome!
I cringe at the thought of WW myself. I tried it a few times and have known some people with awesome long term success.....not for me though.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:50 pm

tobiasmom

hi there, so are we still on for the weekend, 3 s's...i think one other person said hey wanted to as well.

hope your book arrives soon...do you have a kindle?

tobiasmom

Tuesday

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:15 pm

Day 4: SUCCESS!

B: cereal with milk, black coffee

L: salami and provolone sandwich, baked beans

D: leftover spaghetti bolognese

Workout: 40 minutes treadmill

I've finally gotten in the swing of the things. I've still be super tempted in the evenings to grab something for a snack after T goes to bed. But the more I resist day by day the easier it will be.

Feeling the No-S love once again!!!

NoSnacker:
Definitely in for the 3 s's weekend. Which book are you talking about? The Hunger Games? I have a Nook, but I download books on my Ipod from audible.com and listen to them while I walk! I'm on chapter 3 of Hunger Games, and it's intense! I'm hoping it's good. So far it seems so!

Snapdragon: I'm just a newbie homeschooler. Tobias is almost 4 so we are doing his pre-K year right now. But I do plan to homeschool him all the way through!

ellgee

Post by ellgee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:20 pm

Good for you on your restart! I am with you 150%! I have vowed to not count another point or calorie again. Just cannot do it anymore. I want this weight off yesterday, too but I've found I lose then go completely bananas and gain everything back.

I have a lot of red on my Habitcal but I do have some green. I will keep trying and trying til I get it right. What's odd is the first time I really tried No S I had 21 green days in a row! Haven't been able to get there again. But it is all good. I'm much happier this way.
Laura

tobiasmom

Wednesday

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:14 am

Day 5: NO-S! WORKOUT!

Darn it! Had some horrible sugar cravings today. Gave in this afternoon. Then wouldn't ya know my female time came. Of course! I wish I would have fought through the cravings. It's just my darn hormones!

I did go for a walk with a friend (about 2 miles) this evening, though!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:50 pm

I chickened out with my older kids on homeschooling was planning on it with my kindergartener this year but she is so social so I put her in. My little guy is supposed to go to preschool soon but doesn't want to and refuses to be potty trained so maybe him.
I have picked up some curriculum here and there and follow an online local homeschooling group.
good luck to you.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSnacker

Re: Wednesday

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:15 am

tobiasmom wrote:Day 5: Darn it! Had some horrible sugar cravings today. Gave in this afternoon. Then wouldn't ya know my female time came. Of course! I wish I would have fought through the cravings. It's just my darn hormones!

I did go for a walk with a friend (about 2 miles) this evening, though!
Trust me, hormones hit me closer to the end of the month where I have intense desires to eat..I noticed on my habitcal for the last 2 months. You may want to keep track as well and be on guard closer to those days..like a linebacker :).

Walking afterwards was a great idea!

tobiasmom

Week 2

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:00 pm

I did not finish the week out strong last week. I had three failures last week. The weekend was good. I didn't go overboard. I did one of each S each S day. That seemed to work well. Walked all afternoon at SeaWorld.

So today's back to the grind. Three meals, period. We're going to play kickball at a park with people from church this evening. Haven't played that in ages! Gonna bbq some ribeyes with a green bean salad this afternoon. Just trying to get my groove back!

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Rib-eyes and a green bean salad sounds delicious. Always so much easier to have green days when the meals themselves are a treat.
When nothing goes right...go left.

tobiasmom

honesty.

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:11 am

Man! I feel like I've been dragging my butt for months now. Every post lately has been me TRYING to get my act together. And this post is NO different.

My head is the problem. I have this crazy sugar obsession these days. Today I had my three meals.......and then stopped by the grocery store to pick up milk tonight and grabbed a soda and Snickers. Why? I do not understand why I do this to myself! I ate the Snickers and started to drink the soda and thought, "Why am I doing this right now?" So I went and dumped it down the sink. I will acknowledge that this is most definitely a success.

I am seriously committed to this journey. I don't know how long it's gonna take me to get there, but I WILL get the hang of this and reach my goal some day! I am NEVER quitting.

I decided to weigh-in this morning since it's been quite some time. 207.4. So I'm still down 4 pounds from my start (in March). I can honestly say that I have not truly followed the program for a few months now, though. That very slight weight loss is the result. I am moving forward. Not beating myself up. This is a journey of self-discovery. I am learning more and more EVERY day.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:15 am

Hi, I know how you feel....did you consider having a piece of fruit after at least 2 of your meals? I know that helps me a lot from binging during the week or eating candy. I know if I want that stuff I can have it on the weekend.

I do have diet pop sometimes in the evening...much better than binging.

I have only lost 4 pounds, but I'm trying to really focus on the sanity.

Do you plan special desserts for the weekend? That might help...it truly does help me...

Now, don't get me wrong,....my weekends are still crazy, but I don't care, my N days are what I'm working on first.

I used to eat snickers, chips and pepsi for a few days in a row, then I was done for months and months..and I ate that after dinner...now if I really want to have that stuff I can on the weekend..can I wait for the weekend, sure why not.

Keep on keepin on..you will get there..

tobiasmom

Wednesday

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:50 am

SUCCESS!

L: two-cheese florentine chicken burger with canned peaches

D: meatball calzone

Workout: 40-minute walk

I had a super stressful evening with the boy. He had a total 3-year-old meltdown fit at my friend's house. Completely mortifying and aggravating. I wanted to eat the whole house when I got home out of frustration, but I sat down and thought about how much that would NOT help the situation. I'm just gonna relax and do my best to get through these fits he's been prone to lately. Man....3 years old is way tougher than 2!!!! He's actually almost 4. Is 4 gonna be the worst? Oh, man! I love this boy. I also love it A LOT when he behaves!!! ha.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:01 am

Great job remembering that food was not the answer tonight. You really are doing great. Remember that this is a process and changing habits is hard and a very long term process. Keep working and trying -- I really believe you're going to get there.

Julie

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:12 am

I remember the days although my children are now grown adults 36, 30, 28..but they do seem to go thru those spurts..boy that makes me feel old.

Nice job on not relieving the stress with food..it would have only made you feel worse as we all know..never helps..but for only a second.

Have a great thursday!!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Awww don't feel too bad about the meltdown, it happens to everyone. I gave into stress eating last night so good job!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks, all! I'm feeling soooo good this morning. So glad I didn't give in to the emotional eating! I also got up and walked the dog again this morning. The weather has cooled down. So nice! I have missed my daily walks. Such a stress reliever to get out there to my own thoughts.... I'm feeling a sense of success right now! Who else is feeling the No-S love today?

ellgee

Post by ellgee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm trying!!! Have not had a green day since the start of the month but am DETERMINED today will be one!

Glad you are feeling so great!
Laura

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Tobiasmom - You're doing great!!!!

Hugs...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Re: hey

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:46 am

tobiasmom wrote: I'm feeling a sense of success right now! Who else is feeling the No-S love today?
I am, I am....:)

Had a great green week food wise..and not getting on the scale!

I hope to see No S take over the diet industry and everyone comes back to sanity about food....

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:29 pm

I too am struggling this month and I am feeling the No S love from all of you. What a positive dialog you had with yourself after your son's meltdown. That is the battle we strugglers are all really facing here, you know. It is not about the food. It is about how we all deal with life's bumps and bruises.

There is an old movie called "Parenthood" (not the TV series, the movie) that was such a relief for me when my daughter was little. You might enjoy it. My daughter was a real independent little pistol and I had many discouraging days parenting. She was, and is, high strung. She just turned 36 and she is finding herself after many years of struggling. She is not just a square peg in a round hole. She is an octagonal peg in a round hole. That made it hard for her to conform to anything "normal". I see now how hard it must have been for her to be in school. She really didn't fit in. She has very good but unique friends now. They are not people I understand or get but she has found her spot in the world. She tells me that no matter how messed up a day at school was or how badly a day at a friend's house was those many years ago, she always felt I was her friend and that I would help her through it. I love it that she feels that way but believe me there were many, many meltdowns that I thought I was a terrible parent and that I was obviously doing something wrong. I believe God puts certain parents and children together because He knows they can help each other get through life. It is obvious how much you love your son. You two are a match. Just breathe and love him through the rough times. He will learn patience, kindness, and understanding if you do. He will learn intolerance, anger and self loathing if you don't. As parents we have a lot of power as you well know, gal. I think you are using your parental power very wisely.

Love him, love yourself, walk the dog and continue to grow. You are on the right path and doing very, very well.
I'm baaaack.

determined

Post by determined » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Pangelsue2....What well-written lovely words...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Here is some No S love coming your way! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope the best for you. I have 3 adult children and have a lot of military ties so I feel a special empathy for the stresses you have!
Maintenance is progress.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Thinking of you, hon!! You're doing great!!!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Oh, boy do I feel the love! Thank you each and every one of you! I am gonna be downright honest here....my weight is up. I've been really sucking at this No-S thing, but for some reason my spirits are up and I am ready to keep trying. I know I will do this. I've gotta stop talking and actually do it at some point....but I'm getting there! I had some soda at lunch so today is another failure, but I'm not snacking. One step at a time......

I love you all......seriously!!!!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 pm

AWWW! Thanks tobiasmom! (((HUGS))))))))))))

Been feeling a bit 'guilty' for not posting as much but just wanted to know I'm with you, all of you, all of the way. I had a bit of a rough 2 S Days. Not OTT like I used to, but there was certainly a bit more nibbling inbetweens than usual! I'm 'scared' this will lead to a slippery slope. Each of us has their own individual concerns and worries but it all adds up to the same thing and it is so great to have this board and you guys to listen to us and offer us all your great advice and inspiration. Again, I hope this doesn't come across all gushy and stuff, I am genuinely touched and grateful. :D :D

You'll notice I've taken my weight log out of my signature. Trying a little experiment for this week: to see if I can stop weighing. Even if I can manage a week, I will be happy. Taking it one stage at a time, right? I think I've become a little ott with regards to weighing recently. If I see the scale up a bit or not moving, I start thinking about food/diets and what can i do to get the weight off a bit? etc, etc. basically 'diet head' thinking again.

Have a great week everyone!! Love R x

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:00 pm

I did the same thing as NoSRocks..I got rid of any reference to my weight or goal...my goal is to be sane around food and get rid of the diet mentality and to learn to be happy with me as I am at the moment...one day at a time for sure.

You can do it..keep your eyes on the prize!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi again, NoSnacker! Just popping in again - hope Tobiasmom doesn't mind me 'hijacking' her thread ! - to say good for you re. the weighing - or non weighing, to be precise! :D

This am, I did a kind of silly thing: I said to myself"I'll weigh this once, and if I am back at 165 lbs (which I was), then I am not going to weigh myself till Christmas. " I suppose it isn't really all that silly - and should be quite an attainable goal - just given that I tend to over-weigh and stuff, I wonder if I am not placing too much emphasis on the time frame. I also wonder why I play tricks with my mind: "If I weigh 165 lbs I'll do such and such..." what difference would it have made - really - if I had been over the 165 ? I guess in my mind I like the sound of the 165 lbs (well the 164 lbs I liked even better! but you know what I mean....) I keep telling myself "If I can just lose another 5 lbs, it would be fantastic!" and such like. I wonder if I will ever be satisfied with where I am now? Still, I have decided and this time I mean it, to go along with the no weighing plan until December 2011. The scales have been consigned to the basement for now. I must admit I do enjoy reading others' weight records on here, but I can also see why one would decide to remove it, if they were having issues with the scale/over weighing thing. I may consider adding it back at some point, never say never - just not right now.

Anyway - enough rambling from me! Have a great week,all!!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:09 am

hey I hope you haven't given up on us. I hope your not feeling defeated. Pick yourself up brush off the crumbs and get back here lady don't you know we neeeeeeeeeed you????
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Come back and adjust the plan to your needs. It is all about making new habits and that involves success and failure. Read your old and new blog and make a mental list of successes and setbacks. It wasn't all setbacks, was it? If there was even only one success it would still be progress. Giving up totally is the only real failure.
I'm baaaack.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:50 pm

I'm still around. I've been playing with my eating plan a bit. I can't say I've stuck completely with No-S this past week or two, but I am figuring out my nutrition a little better. I'm planning on continuing with No-S, but I am gonna have to try to eat more nutritionally rich food than I have been. I'm just not feeling good physically, and my blood pressure has been up. I bought a few Ellie Krieger cookbooks, and I'm gonna try to cook through those.

I love No-S. It's my true love, and I know it's the answer to this diet head of mine. I'm sticking with my three meals and hopefully reasonable S days. There's no harm in making healthier choices, though; right?

I also haven't been around because I took on a job watching another child full-time. It's been wonderful for Tobias. She's the same age as him. But I've been super busy doing stuff with them!

Today's an S day. I'm going to a bbq tonight and am making a brownie trifle. I plan to enjoy a normal-sized portion! My weight last week was 207.4. So I'm still down 4 pounds since I started No-S. I plan to make some progress from now forward, though!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Glad to see your back and glad your looking at healthier foods! I find it so important tp eat healthy wholesome foods to feel better. In my house it seems to take a while to find those recipes everyone will at least eat...slowly but surly I have collected some good regulars, it took time. There is six of us so it's hard to please everyone.
Enjoy the little ones!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:50 am

Great Stuff, tobiasmom! I, too, haven't been posting as much due to work commitments and just generally because I've been soldiering on with No S with not much news to report!

Great news also about your child minding job and also great to hear that young Tobias and the "new child" are getting on well together. Wonderful!!

Still thinking of you and all the other NoSers on the board. Sorry again folks for not being in touch as often.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Welcome back. We missed you. I used to love watching Ellie Krieger's show on the Food Channel. Her stuff always sounded so good. Let me know if you like any one of the books particularly. I am also trying to improve the quality of what I am eating instead of just grabbing whatever is to hand. I have been thinking of making some soups so I have something healthy ready when I am hungry but feeling lazy. I do good breakfasts and dinners but my lunches suck. I am always hungry all afternoon because I snacked my lunch rather than making something.
I'm baaaack.

tobiasmom

Day 1

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:48 pm

A new start AGAIN today. Hey...at least I haven't just given up; right? I will be the No-S poster child that tried 15 times and finally got to her goal!!!! I don't care how long it takes. I KNOW this plan will work for me. I just need to follow it...one meal at at time!

This week's plan:
- three meals a day, period (NO SUGAR on N DAYS!)
- make one delicious dessert for my S days
- check-in here daily
- workout (anything I feel like that day)
- Limit Internet time daily to 1 hour
- Daily bible study

I'll check in with everybody tomorrow! Gotta stick with my Internet usage time, and I have already been on for a while this morning!!! Love you, all!

gk

Re: Day 1

Post by gk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:29 pm

tobiasmom wrote:A new start AGAIN today. Hey...at least I haven't just given up; right? I will be the No-S poster child that tried 15 times and finally got to her goal!!!! I don't care how long it takes. I KNOW this plan will work for me. I just need to follow it...one meal at at time!
It's like I wrote this post.....that's exactly how I feel!! I've lost track of how many times I've started this. But, I refuse to give up as well! This is the first day of my 21-day challenge (again). This is a DO-ABLE plan. We just have to get past those first three weeks.

I had one successful attempt a year ago. Two full months of bliss.....felt great, good habits, lost weight....but most importantly, the contentment I felt not constantly struggling with this food addiction of mine. Sadly, I got caught up in too many S Days throughout the holidays and I fell back into bad habits, gained the weight back, plus a few lbs. more!! SOOO....I know this is possible. But getting to that point again? Quite the challenge!

We can do this!! Best of luck!! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:20 pm

Best of luck to both of you! No more starting over! Just mark it and move on and it will gradually improve!
Maintenance is progress.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:50 am

You have it in you. So do I. We just need to find our groove again. This isn't hard. Our desire and determination just have to be on the same page.
I'm baaaack.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm with ya on not giving up! Thanks for your encouragement on my daily post..

I'm going to go for the green today,,,if I can break this binge streak I'll be golden.

Here's to success to you today!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Maybe we have to stop looking at this as starting and stopping it's all a process with different phases. I have tough times where it seems amost impossible to stick, I have times when I just don't want to sometimes I choose not to and sometimes I choose to stick to it.
Sometimes I experiment with different ideas sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
just a ramble....I hope your day is going well.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm with you guys! I've decided that this is just one long journey I've been on since March. I've never actually quit. I've just had stretches of not doing as well and stretches of being on target.

I'm feeling great right now. I'm getting my groove back. My hubby is starting day shift next week so I'll have him home for dinners again! And I won't be alone snacking at night anymore! ha. It's just gonna be awesome to have more time together.

I have two check-ins going on right now so I guess I had better leave the other one alone and let it fall off the board eventually.........

tobiasmom

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:43 am

Monday 9/26: SUCCESS!

L: peanut butter sandwich, plumcot

D: one chicken enchilada with sour cream, watermelon, and baked cheese Doritos

Workout: 2-mile Walk Away the Pounds video

Tuesday 9/27:
SUCCESS!

B: one slice of homemade 100 percent whole wheat nut and seed bread with cream cheese, two slices bacon, black coffee

L: One serving Totino's cheese pizza with a little ranch, plumcot

D: jambalaya with smoked sausage

Workout: 2-mile WATP video

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:46 am

Great work!

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:10 am

You're doing great! Way to go! :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Good to see you doing so well!

Love those WATP videos!
Maintenance is progress.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Waa Hoo you!
I'm baaaack.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Glad to see your success I love those plumcots- we call them pluots here :wink:
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

tobiasmom

day 3

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:44 am

Wednesday, 9/28: SUCCESS!

B: one slice whole wheat and nut bread with cream cheese, banana

L: peanut butter and blackberry jam sandwich, baked Doritos

D: one bowl crockpot taco soup with cheese and fritos

Workout: 2-mile walk

Just plugging away, one day at a time.....

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:48 am

Taco soup....YUM!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:59 am

Sounds like a yummy Wednesday, especially because it was green..

Thanks for your continued support...truly appreciate it!

deb

tobiasmom

Day 4

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:19 pm

FAILURE.........but.....not a huge mess of one! Let's just say I got a tire blowout on the freeway this afternoon during a thunderstorm with two four-year-olds in the car. Yes, I did have a soda at Walmart while I was waiting for the tire to be repaired!!!!!! And I MIGHT have had a cookie and a few chocolate chips when I finally got home! But everybody is ok.

Onward!

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 am

I'd call today an "S" day..."So Thankful to be Okay" day...that starts with an "S". Or maybe "Several Stressful Things in One Day is Enough" day...that's another day that starts with "S".

I'm so glad you & your sweeties are okay!

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:20 am

Ditto what determined said!!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:46 am

Sorry to hear what happened, tobiasmom! Glad you are all okay!

Take care !!!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:27 am

Omigosh!! Definately an S Day! Glad to hear you are all okay!

tobiasmom

friday and s days

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Friday: FAILURE!
I, of course, let my failure Thursday (which was definitely just a small bump in the road) slide through a long weekend. I wish I would have put my head on straight and got a good success day in Friday. Instead I just blew it all through the weekend. Of course Saturday and Sunday were S days.....but I got a little crazy with soda! I used to have a major soda problem. It hasn't been much of an issue....until this weekend! Got crazy!! ha.

I'm ready for a fresh day, fresh month! I will never quit. This WILL happen!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:57 pm

The most important thing: move on. I know you can do great today!

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:23 pm

We can do this together!

Barb
Barb
Austin, Texas
Starting Date: 09/26/11
Starting Weight: 251.5
Current Weight: 250
Goal Weight: 160
Height: 5'7"

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:40 pm

How was your day? So far I'm doing okay...although my mind keeps wanting me to stuff food in my mouth..for what reason I don't know..trying to figure out the emotional reason why....

Hope you had a green day!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:15 am

I read up a couple posts and I know what you mean..if after a failure it would be easy to get back on track..we do have it in us...emotional eating is definitely a big thing for me..

Hope you had a green Monday and if not, I hope you find your green Tuesday!

Take care,
deb

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Just stopped in to see how you are. I'm pulling for you! go for the green! :mrgreen:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

tobiasmom

lame

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:30 pm

I just feel so darn lame! You guys are awesome. Love you ALL!!!

I am sorry to report that the grass is NOT greener on the other side. I change diets more often than my underwear. Darn it!

The prodigal is HOME once again.......and I've got some work to do for sure!!!!

My day starts right NOW. Not tomorrow. Right this minute I can wait til dinner and have no snacks or seconds or sweets! Right this minute.

It seems that I also got the stomach bug my son had. So I might get some exercise "running" to the toilet this afternoon!!!!! Ugh.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Go for it!
Sorry you're sick. Praying for you to feel better soon, right away.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:09 pm

I second that~! So sorry to hear you're not well, hope you and the little laddie are feeling better soon ! ((((((((((hugs)))))))))

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:37 pm

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well, but hate to say running to the bathroom will surely help you drop a couple :).

I was really doing terrible for a couple weeks with night time binging..but we are not quitters..we are all here fighting a good fight!

I am tempted very much so to start a new diet, but can't bring myself to do it...makes me want to rebel right away :).

gk

Post by gk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:21 am

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hope you feel better soon!

tobiasmom

grrr..........

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:20 pm

"For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate." Romans 7:15

Thank God his mercies are new EVERY morning!

determined

Post by determined » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:27 pm

AMEN!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Hope you're feeling better!

tobiasmom

Day 1...again

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm back in action today. I'm feeling ok. Dealing with allergies really bad right now. I think it's all the rain we've finally gotten here in Texas. Stirring up something that's aggravating my eyes and sinuses! My stomach's better, though!

Been really struggling for months and months now. The biggest issue has been always looking at "the other side". It's ridiculous, really. Nothing works if you don't actually do the program. I have to pick something I can stick to. I know No-S is the one. I haven't shown that I can stick with it lately, but it's not the program. That's me! I've gotta stop getting so greedy. Sugar is my Achilles heel. Grrrrrrr....... I want to feel good physically and mentally again!

One day at a time.

Sweetness

Re: Day 1...again

Post by Sweetness » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:26 pm

tobiasmom wrote:I'm back in action today. I'm feeling ok. Dealing with allergies really bad right now. I think it's all the rain we've finally gotten here in Texas. Stirring up something that's aggravating my eyes and sinuses! My stomach's better, though!

Been really struggling for months and months now. The biggest issue has been always looking at "the other side". It's ridiculous, really. Nothing works if you don't actually do the program. I have to pick something I can stick to. I know No-S is the one. I haven't shown that I can stick with it lately, but it's not the program. That's me! I've gotta stop getting so greedy. Sugar is my Achilles heel. Grrrrrrr....... I want to feel good physically and mentally again!

One day at a time.
I agree, No-S is the one. You can do this!! We're pulling for you!
Glad your stomach is better.
Go for the green! :mrgreen:
Patty

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:01 pm

I so relate to your last post! why is it so hard!?!?!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139