Sweetness' "daily" check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:33 am

I read your posts too and I am rooting for you even though I do not always pop in and say so. :lol:
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:57 am

determined wrote:How did today go for you?

janie
Yesterday and today were SUCCESS!!!

Today we had a breakfast meeting, and I had two homemade quesadillas with big handmade tortillas, one mushroom and cheese, the other chicken and potatoes with sour cream, grated cheese and homemade salsa on both. You cant get these in Minnesota, its been about 6 months since I had one. Yummy! Sooo good!! I was still full when we went out for comida (lunch or dinner) with some girlfriends, one I hadn't seen in 5 years. I split a dinner with my friend, a light lunch of chicken fajitas, but still I was still full from breakfast. I had an apple and a small amount of leftover chow mein for supper. So breakfast was heavy but I said no to the sweets, seconds and snacks!

It's funny this is my second week without chocolate on N days, and its harder than the first! I'm having to make a cup of tea for myself when I get chocolate cravings. [/b]
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:59 am

r.jean wrote:I read your posts too and I am rooting for you even though I do not always pop in and say so. :lol:
Thanks, that means a lot!! I'll have to check yours too. :)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:29 pm

You are really doing so great! I like when I see others have green days....

I decided when I don't binge that will be a Yellow day, and Green if I truly have a Green day..and Red for when I binge...

Have to change things up..as I have been having tests done on my abdomen and I know I'm bringing my pains on myself from the bingeing..this old body can't take it anymore...

So I have to chose between my mind needing to eat or my body needing some much needed rest!

Have a great weekend!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:12 pm

NoSnacker wrote:You are really doing so great! I like when I see others have green days....

I decided when I don't binge that will be a Yellow day, and Green if I truly have a Green day..and Red for when I binge...

Have to change things up..as I have been having tests done on my abdomen and I know I'm bringing my pains on myself from the bingeing..this old body can't take it anymore...

So I have to chose between my mind needing to eat or my body needing some much needed rest!

Have a great weekend!
I think that's a great idea, celebrate small victories. And progress is progress. Take care of yourself, and let God love you more. I'm praying for you.
Thanks for the encouragement!!
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks for the copy of the post from the No S that did the program in small baby steps. I know I can do no seconds..that will also help my tummy...

Mmmm, when I don't binge it will be yellow which means I might have had additional food (healthy snack), green for total compliance..red for nasty ole binge..don't think that will happen for a few days...

Have a great one Patty..I'll try to find that person's post!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:15 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Thanks for the copy of the post from the No S that did the program in small baby steps. I know I can do no seconds..that will also help my tummy...

Mmmm, when I don't binge it will be yellow which means I might have had additional food (healthy snack), green for total compliance..red for nasty ole binge..don't think that will happen for a few days...

Have a great one Patty..I'll try to find that person's post!
The post is called "My Mods" on the general discussion board, its toward the top because I commented on it.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:45 am

Another GREEN DAY!!! :mrgreen:

It was kind of hard this week because most days I wanted seconds and snacks and chocolate. (PMS I think)... I can have chocolate tomorrow!! Yeah!!!
8) :lol:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:21 am

Today was a good S Day
The chocolate tasted great this morning. Then I had my smoothie and some cereal with almonds and raisins. I made mini pizzas for lunch, another square of chocolate. We walked to the video store and rented Captain America for our date night, and we had tangerines, popcorn and a half ice cream bar for supper while watching the movie. Nice to have an S day that I feel good physically at the end of it, because I didn't overeat. :wink:
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:57 am

Surely sounded like a yummy day to me!

So what is the temp where you are living in Mexico? Do you drink the water there? Are you near a beach?

I've never been out of the states, I have been to CA, KS, MA..

I babysat 3 of my grandchildren yesterday, so my food was not as I wished it would be....

Have a great Sunday Patty!
Blessings..

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:47 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Surely sounded like a yummy day to me!

So what is the temp where you are living in Mexico? Do you drink the water there? Are you near a beach?

I've never been out of the states, I have been to CA, KS, MA..

I babysat 3 of my grandchildren yesterday, so my food was not as I wished it would be....

Have a great Sunday Patty!
Blessings..
Thanks Deb,
It's perfect weather here now, low 80s in the daytime with sunshine, low 50's at night. Cuernavaca is in the mountains an hour and a half south of Mexico city, there are palm trees and flowering trees that stay green and bloom even in the long dry season because there is plentiful ground water (it rains a lot in the summer). We do have running water, there's a tank on the roof that gets filled from the city a couple times a week. If it runs out there's a pump that can pump the water up from the underground cistern. Our landlady uses lots of water for all her plants. She has a beautiful garden, lots of flowers. We buy our drinking water and have a 5 gallon jug in our kitchen. It costs about $2 dollars.

We do a lot of walking here, we're in a crowded part of the city, Jiutepec actually. I walk to the open air market almost every day to buy food for the day. Once or twice a week to the Wallmart about a mile away to get what I cant get in the neighborhood. We have our vehicle here, but don't have permission to drive it yet this year. We have to get a residency visa, my husband is working on it. We take a taxi to church, its about 3 miles away and costs about $2.50 each way. The bus is cheap too, about 50 cents depending on how far you go.

The nearest beach is about 4 hours away in Acapulco, but we haven't been there for at least 8 years. Don't think we will go anytime soon, its been dangerous there lately with people getting robbed or worse. There are mountains in the near distance, and bigger ones further away. We can see Mount Popocateptl on a clear day, its about 30 miles away, and its an active volcano. We are at an altitude about 4500 feet where we live, and the upper end of Cuernavaca is about 7000 feet. Its about 5 degrees warmer here than there.

8)
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:34 am

Wow, so you would be considered a millionaire with the cost of living there..amazing...$2.5 for a 3 miles cab ride! Sounds so beautiful.

Do you work the healing rooms everyday or just on Sundays?

Ya I heard so scary stuff but it sounds like you are in a safe place.

Do you usually make mexican food or make american food when you are there.

I know I ask a lot of questions..we have some people at my employment that are from overseas and I enjoy learning of their culture.

Have a great Monday.

Tonight we fly out to Boston so my husband can meet with a doctor about his situation. A day away vacation!!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 am

NoSnacker wrote:Wow, so you would be considered a millionaire with the cost of living there..amazing...$2.5 for a 3 miles cab ride! Sounds so beautiful.

Do you work the healing rooms everyday or just on Sundays?

Ya I heard so scary stuff but it sounds like you are in a safe place.

Do you usually make mexican food or make american food when you are there.

I know I ask a lot of questions..we have some people at my employment that are from overseas and I enjoy learning of their culture.

Have a great Monday.

Tonight we fly out to Boston so my husband can meet with a doctor about his situation. A day away vacation!!
It was a good Monday even though I didn't get much walking in. I did walk to the market. We woke up at 5AM to the sound of trumpets, singing and guitars. Turns out it's our landlady's birthday, and her family hired a 7 piece Mariachi band (2 trumpets, violin, 3 guitars, singers) to serenade her! After getting up and listening for about 20 minutes, I put in my earplugs and tried to go back to sleep, nope too awake! Gotta love Mexico! Her son surprised her by arriving from California with the grandson she had never seen before. Nice birthday. This kind of stuff doesn't happen in Minnesota.

I made beef stroganoff today, the guy at the meat market cut the sirloin into little strips for me. It was yummy. We had it for lunch and supper. To answer your Q I make both Mexican and American food here, but I cook more mexican food here than I do in Minnnesota, maybe 2 or 3 times a week. It helps that you can get fresh hot tortillas, and all the fresh Mexican ingredients right in the neighborhood.

We have healing rooms on Fridays, but we also pray for people at church on Sundays and Wed night. We also have several other meetings with pastors and pastors wives every month.

We are not rich here, but in some ways our dollar goes further. Food is just as expensive, but services are lots less. Housing is definitely cheaper, we rent here, but we have a house payment and utilities back home too, and we have to do it all on my hubby's SS check plus whatever donations we get as missionaries.

Yesterday was a good

S DAY even though we were hungry for Homemade Flan; by the time my hubby looked for it they were sold out. next week! I had another piece of my chocolate instead!
and today was SUCCESS!!! :mrgreen: [/b]
Patty

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 am

Buenos Dias.

Keep up the good work!

Más de Uarenta y Tres
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:22 am

Over43 wrote:Buenos Dias.

Keep up the good work!

Más de Uarenta y Tres
Gracias! Buenas noches aqui!
Patty

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Fresh tortillas are so wonderful. A friend of ours from Guatemala used to make them for us and I loved them. I have tried a number of times to make them myself but have failed miserably. She tells me it takes practice to get the dough right. Have you ever made them?
I'm baaaack.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Pangelsue2 wrote:Fresh tortillas are so wonderful. A friend of ours from Guatemala used to make them for us and I loved them. I have tried a number of times to make them myself but have failed miserably. She tells me it takes practice to get the dough right. Have you ever made them?
No, never tried. I can get them hot and fresh by hand 2 blocks away, or by machine a half a block away. I do miss them when I'm in the states. I have been thinking of trying to make some sopes, (a little fat torlilla) they look easier. Of course I can get the masa (dough) fresh here too.

Yesterday I made Mexican rice the way they make it here with lots of fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic and parsely. We had it with beans and chicken breast beaten out thin, lightly breaded and fried in a tiny amt of olive oil. Jicama, carrots and cukes on the side. We didn't have tortillas, because rice and beans is enough starch for one meal! 8)
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Monday and Tuesday were SUCCESS!!! :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:25 pm

I've been fighting a cold, sleeping extra, and working on editing my book. Word is frustrating, I can't get the chapter headings to stay in their chapters!

But Wed and Today Thursday are SUCCESS!!!!

Got a Green streak going!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:11 am

After many hours of struggle, I finally got the chapter headings into my book, and sent off to my friends who are going to print it for me.

Down 2 more pounds today, if it's true, I've lost 6 pounds in 2 months. Yay!! So thankful for No S!!

Today was 8) :lol: :P :D :) :wink: :mrgreen: SUCCESS!!!!
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:16 pm

Great job! You are on your way!
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks for stopping by r.jean.

Having a great weekend so far, our date went well and we're topping it off with some yummy flan right now.

Today I designed cover and back cover for my book,and sent it off. I also loaded my book onto my kindle today. My hubby says I'm a "real techie" now. High praise from my techie guy! :lol:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Had a great weekend, but my tummy was a bit uncomfortable last night. I had some pumpkin cooked with brown sugar, I had too much! I'm learning that it's not worth it to overeat anything! And sugar makes me feel kinda yucky. I felt the same way after eating the flan yesterday, which I had in place of supper. I should have just had half of it and saved the rest for Sunday. It sure tasted exquisitely yummy, though.

Looking forward to a green week! :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Wow its Wednesday already. I had a green day on Monday.SUCCESS!!!

Tuesday I did well all day but I had bought some pecans at the grocery store, and meant to include some with one of my meals, but forgot. My hubby went to bed early, and I was up alone with my kindle, and the pecans were calling my name. I had a small handful, they were so good and fresh! then another handful... I'm starting November with a red failure oh well.

For the month of October, I had 2 red days on my Habitcal, one of those was a travel day, and only one extra S-day, pretty good. 8)
Also I had just 2 red days for my walking habit. :mrgreen:
I lost 2 pounds since arriving in Mexico October 11. Six pounds total since I started Aug 22.
I'm encouraged.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:05 am

Today was SUCCESS!!!! :mrgreen:
Patty

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:31 am

Great job resisting the brownies! Keep up the good work...you are inspiring me after a few red days post Halloween!

ljk

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:05 pm

You are doing so well. Little by little good habits are replacing bad. That is moving in the right direction. Congratulations. The book is such exciting news. I am happy for you.
I'm baaaack.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:19 pm

ljk2009 wrote:Great job resisting the brownies! Keep up the good work...you are inspiring me after a few red days post Halloween!

ljk
Thanks, go for the green! :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Pangelsue2 wrote:You are doing so well. Little by little good habits are replacing bad. That is moving in the right direction. Congratulations. The book is such exciting news. I am happy for you.
Thankyou, it may be a while till my book is actually published, but its a big step closer!
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:59 am

Today was SUCCESS!!! :mrgreen:

Tomorrow we take a bus to Oaxaca City for a missions conference for our agency. It's an 8 hour bus ride, I am bringing a lunch, but I might still take an S day if it gets too hard traveling. It will be great to see all our missionary friends again.
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Patty...

Success tastes wonderful!

Hope you had a great trip today...

Hugs...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:34 pm

determined wrote:Patty...

Success tastes wonderful!

Hope you had a great trip today...

Hugs...janie
Thanks, Janie, I had a great time. Its good to be back and sleep in my own bed!
:wink:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 am

We got back from our trip to Oaxaca city, tired but happy. Friday I decided to take an extra S day because we were traveling by 2 buses and I wasn't sure how it would work. Basically I ate an extra meal on Friday, because I didn't want to wait till we got to Puebla to eat breakfast. I ate some cereal at home at about 6AM. Then I ate an second breakfast at Church's chicken in the Puebla bus station about 10:30 AM. We ate the sandwiches, veggies, nuts and fruit I packed on the 2nd bus about 2:30 PM. We arrived in Oaxaca city at about 4:30 and had supper with our group about 6:30PM. I think I also had dessert because it was an Sday. It was so good to see all our missionary friends. Saturday and Sunday were S days and I found that the hotel had really good Mexican food and generous meals. I overate both days! I enjoyed the food, just wish I could learn how to enjoy less of it on S days!! Especially difficult was the breakfast buffet on Sun morning. Wow, they had everything yummy, and I didn't have everything I wanted, but I ate much more than my body needed, and I felt so over full and bloated afterwards. 3 plates. Really should have skipped lunch, because in the afternoon was the ladies tea, with goodies and Chocolate. Ouch, I filled a plate and ate that too.

The conference was wonderful, my friend and I led the songs mornings and evenings, so that was responsibility, but its like family and I didn't worry how we sounded or if I didn't get everything just right. The speakers were some of our own missionaries plus our former president who is now a missions pastor. I really needed to hear lots of what was shared, and came back home really inspired. Oaxaca city is beautiful and the hotel had beautiful views. I didn't get my walk in except on Saturday, but the elevator was broken the whole time, and our room was on the 4th floor and our meeting room on the 5th, and meals on the first floor, so I did get exercise!

There was no way I wanted an S day for traveling back on Monday. We had breakfast and lunch in the hotel, and it wasn't hard at all to turn down dessert, even when someone ordered my favorite, flan, and offered me half of it. We had supper on the road in Puebla and arrived home about bedtime. It was fun traveling, four of our friends traveled with us on the bus. Monday was SUCCESS!!!! SO good to sleep in my own bed! the beds in the hotel were hard.

Today would have been success, but I think my stomach is stretched out, and I took seconds for dinner! I started to tell myself that it would have fit on the one plate, but it was seconds, and I'm better off being honest. :oops: So today is Failure, but I'm not adding any snacking or sweets to make it worse.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:36 am

Yesterday was a SUCCESS!!!
and today was a SUCCESS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 pm

YAY! Have a wonderful weekend!

determined

Post by determined » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Yee Ha!!! Success is delightful!!!

Well done...

Hugs,
janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:58 am

Today is SUCCESS!! and tomorrow I can eat chocolate!

thanks tobiasmom and Janie, you have a great weekend too.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:44 am

It was a good weekend, slight excess, but that just makes me look forward to 3 good meals and no excess tomorrow. 8)
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:21 am

It was a good day, even though I have to admit failure. This morning we had a pastors breakfast, and they made a wonderful dish, beef "a la Mexicana" with potatoes and beef, tomatoes, onions, garlic and a little serrano peppers. With homemade beans and handmade tortillas. Well the first serving was enough but it was so good, that when they offered more, I didn't resist. So I had seconds, just asked for more potatoes. Yum. Anyway I didn't let it spoil my day, and I was good for the rest of the day.

8)
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 am

A good day, I made a yummy homemade potato soup for dinner, and we'll have it again tomorrow. Its getting cool enough now that soup tastes good, though by late afternoon I'm changing into sleeveless top and shorts!

Today was
SUCCESS!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 am

Sweetness wrote: So I had seconds, just asked for more potatoes. Yum. Anyway I didn't let it spoil my day, and I was good for the rest of the day.
I consider that a success............you had one little slip, but you didn't let it snowball and ruin the rest of your day. I actually think it's more difficult to stop after just one slip than refraining from it completely. Good job! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:33 am

Mornin'!

I'm so impressed with how you're doing! You have a TON of green days & are choosing to keep your days green on a consistent basis. You're winning this!!!!

Hugs to you...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:45 pm

Janie and GK,
Thanks. I am not totally free from food obsession, but much closer than I have ever been before. It helps a lot that I can have beverages in between meals. I usually have a healthy hot chocolate or hot vanilla drink with milk. And I am making delicious meals, working more on that than before. I make every meal count, delicious and nutritious.

Today at the pastor's wives breakfast, I was able to easily decline to eat the cookies that were right in front of me, even when they were offered to me specifically. I know I can have sweets on the weekend.

John and I are going to another city for a conference Friday and Saturday. I think I might take them as my S days, and Sunday as an N day, since we'll be home again. Wait a minute. I have some ice cream in the freezer that I was saving for the weekend, but wont be here! Hmmm...

Anyway, Yesterday, Wednesday was SUCCESS!!! and today will be SUCCESS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:03 am

Patty....Good for you! You were offered cookies and you passed them by. What a freeing moment for you. Great job!!!

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:40 am

determined wrote:Patty....Good for you! You were offered cookies and you passed them by. What a freeing moment for you. Great job!!!

Hugs...janie
Thanks Janie! 8)
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:56 am

Back from our Healing Rooms Conference north of Mexico City. Friday was a traveling morning, four hours on a bus, the metro and anther metro and another bus. Walking between and dragging my bag in between and directly to the conference site. Exhausting and challenging day meal wise. I didn't always eat my meals on one plate at one time, but I packed sandwiches and fruit and veggies and nuts and raisins and mostly had my food at mealtimes, and no sweets, so it was SUCCESS !!! :mrgreen:

The conference was awesome a time to meet other people who are doing the same work in Healing Rooms and others who are interested. It was worth it. Two years ago we helped to start the first Healing Rooms in the interior of Mexico, now there are several more in many areas of the country and lots more people interested in starting them. We also heard many amazing testimonies of people healed.

Yesterday and today were "S" days and they went well. I don't think I overate. I had my chocolate and a couple small snacks. And we're going to have a little ice cream. Last week I had 2 scoops of ice cream and it was too much, it made me feel yucky. I'm just having one scoop tonight. 8)
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:36 am

Patty....Just look at you go!!! I'm so excited for you...you're doing so very well!

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:22 am

Thanks Janie,
I have had one red day every week this month (3 red days so far). So my goal for this week is 4 green days. Of course, Thanksgiving is a special S day. Thanksgiving is an American holiday. We are going to a friends house, there will be lots of Americans mostly missionaries, plus a few Mexicans. She said there might be about 50 people. Pot luck, should be fun.
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 am

Patty...

You're doing so well!

I remember my first Thanksgiving in Austria...it seemed so strange! I hope you enjoy the time with all your friends getting together.

Have a great Monday...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:53 am

Wow, you're doing great! So in control - very inspiring.

You're rockin this - keep it up!! :D

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Good to see you still here. Looks like you are doing well. :D
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:34 am

Janie, GK, RJean, Thanks!

Today was SUCCESS!!!

I made homemade chicken dumpling soup for dinner. Yum.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:28 am

Today was SUCCESS!!!

Today was a bit stressful, we had a family meeting with Hospice today (us on the phone) for John's dad. They were talking about putting him in a nursing home because Mom can't help him to stand or walk, she has a bad back and shoulder, and he tries to get up at night. He has had one fall. John has 4 sisters but none of them can help at night.

We are going back to Minnesota for a month to help out so we can keep Dad at home for a while. Don't have the money, but God will provide. Bought our tickets. We leave a week from today. On the bright side, we'll be home for Christmas, that's nice. We'll get to experience cold and snow for the first time in two years. They already have snow there. I always said that I would like it if winter just lasted a month.

I'm glad the No S habit is in place for me. Before No S, on a day like today, I would be doing a lot of emotional eating.
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:17 am

Patty...

I'm so sorry your father-in-law. It's so very difficult to watch our parents age. I'm glad you're going there to help him....

Prayers & hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:46 am

Thanks, Janie,

Today was success, although I really feel like having a snack now, I know I won't. I'm learning that going to bed a little hungry is no problem. Tomorrow is a special day, I'm making a special fruit salad. Some people call it ambrosia. It has canned pineapple, canned mandarin oranges, marichino cherries, coconut and sour cream. The canned fruit costs a lot here. I'm making a double recipe cause there will be so many people, but it's a special meal, so its worth it, and I don't have to cook, just put together a fruit salad! I'm thankful for our friends and family and mostly God's awesome love. We are having a little rain right now, so nice! Its the dry season so this doesn't happen often this time of year. Showers of blessing! :)
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Patty,

I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving gathering today. I'm thankful for so very much this year....my family...my faith...my dear friends. Thanks so much for being a blessing to me. You've stopped by my check-in thread so many times with encouraging words & I can't tell you how much that has meant to me. I truly feel as if I'm healing from this life-long dysfunctional relationship with eating and I know having friends like you have helped me get here.

Hugs!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:03 am

Janie, I'm thankful for you, too! Many blessings, and hope your thanksgiving was wonderful!!
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:13 am

Today was a WONDERFUL day with friends, and the food... it was so delicious. I ate too much, but enjoyed every bite, and tomorrow is another day. There were at least 40 people there, maybe 50, about half missionaries, half Mexicans. After dinner and before dessert, we gathered around the living room and everyone introduced themselves and said what they were most thankful for. Very touching to hear what everyone said! Then we sang some hymns, the kids bobbed for apples, including my friend Lisa, an older "kid" of 66 years! Then we had desserts, the adults chatted and the young people played games. There was so much food, I was able to bring a full container of everything for my dear Mexican friends who live below us, who couldn't come with us. Could not have asked for a better day!!
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:58 am

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. :)

Thanks so much for all your support. It is much appreciated!

Have a great weekend! :)

determined

Post by determined » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Patty....Sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving day!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Yesterday we were invited over to friends house for dinner, she said to come around 1, so in true Mexican style we arrived fashionably early at 1:45. Then waited about an hour for the other family to come. We ate dinner about 3:30 I think. My hubby and I did well at not having seconds, we really wanted more, but said we were on a diet, no seconds. Then they put dessert in front of us. I know these people don't usually have dessert, they made it special for their guests. Hmm... John said, oh well the weekend can start now, and we will stop S-ing at this time on Sunday! So my no S day was a Success!!! :wink: I think.... :oops:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Janie, Gk thanks for stopping by!!
Patty

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:30 pm

I think your S day was a total success. When friends make something especially for us, it is polite to have some, I think. If it was a pot luck with tons of desserts and no one to care if we ate them or didn't, I would vote for an N day. I think this is something much more than simply dessert or any one food. This is accepting hospitality. And you know, I think your husband had a wonderful idea on how to deal with it. Everybody wins.
Best of luck to you with your in laws. That is a really tough time in anyone's life. At one point, years ago, we were dealing with 3 invalid parents at once. It was a very difficult time but we made it through. I kept thinking of all the times they stayed up all night with us when we were children. It was our turn be there for them. It is the circle of life.
I'm baaaack.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:21 am

Here I am in Minnesota again. We got here late last night. It's cold but actually warmed up over freezing for us so we could get used to it. Tomorrow I have to scrounge around in the basement to find my turtlenecks, sweaters, boots and long underwear!! Haven't had to use any of them since we moved in to this house in 2009, so I don't know where they are!!

Pangelsue, thanks for your kind comments and support. My father-in-law is not doing too well. He was transferred to another nursing home today, because he needs more total care. He's been having halucinations at night, made worse cause he refused his meds. I guess he set off the fire alarm, and caused some other trouble. We won't get to see him till tomorrow. My hubby was busy borrowing a car for us today (our vehicle is in Mexico) and then after he got it, he couldn't get a hold of anyone to tell us where they moved Dad. I drove my son to work so I could use his car today.

Today I went to the grocery store(s), it took me more than 4 hours to plan the menu and get the groceries for one week. It's like this every time I come back from Mexico. So many choices in the stores! Then I had to go to 3 different stores to save money.

OK to go over the past few days, wow, today's Wednesday. Saturday and Sunday were S days (till about 4PM on Sunday) they were pretty normal, except my hubby and I both got some kind of stomach bug and couldn't enjoy the Essing! We got prayer and are both better now. Monday was SUCCESS!!! Tuesday was a NWS day because of travel. Taxi ride, 2 hour bus ride, wait 3 hours for a plane, 3 hour plane ride, drag the bags through customs wait an hour for a plane, then a 2 hour flight, then wait in the cold for my son to pick us up in Minn. I really ate pretty much 3 meals, but had a snack when a meal was late in coming, and I ate a couple cookies they gave us on the bus. And my son wanted me to try a yummy ice cream bar, I ate about a fourth of it. Today, Wednesday I'm going to call a success even though I ate my lunch in stages, I had a burger with a side of green beans between grocery stores and then a cup of soup at the other store. I ate a light supper because that's what I'm used to in Mexico.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:25 am

Today was a failure, I was going to call it success, but that would be going down a slippery slope. We were going to his Mom's house at 1PM, when I realized I had not eaten lunch. So I quick made a sandwich, grabbed an apple and put a salad in a styro cup and brought to eat in the car. We got to Mom's and found she had a present for us from hubby's sister, a can of cashews. I was surprised when he opened it and started eating (he's on No S too) I told myself it would have fit on my "plate" so I had some too. But it was really a snack. I don't want to go down the slippery slope. I want to stay with no S and being honest is part of that. Anyway the rest of the day is good.

We saw Dad today, and he was doing better, and it looks like he's in the right home, getting good care. He's on hospice, but my gut level feeling having worked in nursing homes and assisted livings, is that he will be with us for a while, and I'm glad of that. Praying that he sleeps well tonight, I guess he kinda has his days and nights mixed up.
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Patty...

I'm so sorry your dad is struggling. It's so very hard to watch our parents age. My dad passed away after a long battle with Alzheimers so I've felt the sadness & frustration with nursing homes & declining health. I hope you time with him is comforting for both of you...

Blessings...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:35 am

Today was SUCCESS!!! :mrgreen:

We started our S days already at 4:30 so we could have popcorn for our date night. Will have S days till before dinner 4:30 on Sunday and start No S again.

Janie thanks for the kind words. All our parents are still living and in their 80s, all have had health problems, so it makes it hard to go to Mexico for 6 months at a time. We took my mother-in-law down to see my father-in-law today, not sure he recognized us, but we had a good visit, he was telling stories. He has always loved being the center of attention.

It's so cold here today! I found my long underwear and have not been sorry I put them on today. I don't know what I'll do when it gets colder, its been hovering around freezing today, but a bit windy. I bundled up so much today. 3 shirts, long john's and jeans, heavy socks and shoes, gloves and leather mitts, fuzzy hat and thick down coat. I think my blood has gotten thin! :oops:

Have a great weekend everyone!
Patty

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Patty, thanks for providing encouragement on my thread. :D

determined

Post by determined » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Stay warm! I've forgotten how long you can stay there. I hope your time to visit is really lovely....

Hugs to you...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:51 am

We have several inches of fluffy white stuff all over outside. Sure is pretty. I put on my boots and bundled up and went for a 30 min. walk this afternoon. I'm going to keep it up, if its really cold, just 20 minutes. We'll be here till just after Christmas. It's nice to see everyone. Had a healing rooms service tonight and everyone was so happy to see us. Nice.

I ate too much this weekend, but I'm allowed, so no guilt. Got my period, that explains it. 56 years old and still get one every month... hmmm. 8)
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Putting on boots to exercise out in the snow? Talk about dedication! :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:46 am

My father-in-law passed away tonight about 8:30, even though he was on hospice, its a shock. We were there to see him this afternoon till 4. He was alert and sitting up in his chair when we left him.
Patty

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 pm

Oh, Patty. I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of your family during this tough time.....

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:30 pm

So sorry for your loss. It is so hard when a parent dies. My prayers are with you.

gk

Post by gk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Patty, so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family.

determined

Post by determined » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Oh Patty...I'm so very sad for you. We just weren't designed for this death-thing. I'm glad you've been able to be with your FIL...and that he was alert so you could visit with him.

I hope you'll be surrounded by sweet memories of his life...

Hugs & prayers to you.....janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. It means a lot to me. We will all miss him terribly, but especially my mother-in-law. They were married for 65 years, can you imagine? Praying for her especially today. She went to stay with one of their daughters for now. So glad she doesn't have to be alone.

Yesterday was success, even though I wanted to eat something when we came home late last night from the nursing home. We stayed till the funeral home men came for the body.

Still gravitating toward food for comfort, but didn't go there.
Patty

Okaybear

Post by Okaybear » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:32 pm

I hope that this doesn't seem frivolous to comment on in the wake of your loss, but I think it's excellent that yesterday was a success for you food-wise. When we're at our most distressed, we often give ourselves "permission" to backslide on good habits. You stuck to your guns in a hard time, and that's lovely.

Of course, I'll send up a prayer for you and yours. Take good care of yourself.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:22 am

Okaybear, thankyou!

Today I decided to take one of my S "events" Making Italian cookies with my mother-in-law who just lost her husband, I had to eat a cookie and tell her how good they were. I had a cookie and a half, and licked one of the beaters.
The rest of the day is No S and a SUCCESS!!
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:40 am

Today is a SUCCESS!! :mrgreen:
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Patty...

Good for you that your eating well in the midst of all that's going on. You must feel good about that....

I can't imagine the grief your MIL is going through. Being married 65 years is a whole lifetime. I'm glad for you that you were able to be with your FIL for awhile before he passed away.

When are you heading back to Mexico?

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:06 am

determined wrote:Patty...

Good for you that your eating well in the midst of all that's going on. You must feel good about that....

I can't imagine the grief your MIL is going through. Being married 65 years is a whole lifetime. I'm glad for you that you were able to be with your FIL for awhile before he passed away.

When are you heading back to Mexico?

Hugs...janie
Thank you Janie,

My MIL is doing well, but its a big family and she gets lots of phone calls etc. Time will tell after the holidays, when she has less contact, I'm sure she will be lonely. We fly back to Mexico on Dec. 27. The memorial service for my FIL is on the 22nd.

Today was SUCCESS, and we're already into our S Days, had an event tonight so we decided to go from Friday Dinner till before Sunday dinner again for S days.

:mrgreen:
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Patty,

Just wanted to add one more "Congrats" on your sweater fitting, in case you didn't see my response on my check-in. Wearing something that truly fits is like a day-long reminder that you're winning this.

Well done!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:53 pm

It was a good weekend, we had a pot luck dinner at our church, I had a full plate, but only one cookie (and it wasn't hard.) Of course I did buy my favorite ice cream, butter pecan and had 3 small servings of that with extra pecans this weekend (at least they were small). The only problem I had was I forgot that I was ending my S days at dinner on Sunday, till after I dished up ice cream on Sunday after dinner. My DS offered to eat it for me, but I really wanted it. Hmm, I had to claim an extra S event day for Friday night. I did have two sweets there.

Today is a new day and a new week. I have two S events, we will be going on Tuesday and Thursday to help my Mother-in-law make cookies. I think I should be able to get by with just eating one each time.

Have a good week everyone, and thanks Janie for your encouragement!

Hugs!
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58 pm

You conquered the cookies!!!! YEAH!!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:07 am

Monday was SUCCESS!!!
Tuesday was SUCCESS!!! with an S event, I think I had one and a half cookies while helping my MIL with the pizzelles. Today is also a SUCCESS!!! I went shopping this morning and planned ahead and packed a lunch, as I knew it would take me more than 2 hours with 3 stores to go to. That worked well. Yesterday my friend told me it looked like I had lost weight. I've maybe lost 4 lb, in 4 months, but that's so much better than gaining!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:12 am

determined wrote:You conquered the cookies!!!! YEAH!!!!

janie
Janie, thanks, its great. At those events I usually had 3 cookies before and then the cookie table would be calling my name and tempting me to go back. It's nice to be happy with one. :lol:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:47 am

Its been a few days since I checked in...
Thursday the 15th was a SUCCESS!!! We did go and help my MIL with the cookies again, and I didn't really want a cookie, but she kept saying I had to have one, and then another. She also gave me a hard time about watching what I eat. So that was an S event, the rest of the day was no S.

Friday was success!!!

Saturday and Sunday were S DAYS with plenty of opportunities for sweet eating, and I did.

Today Monday was SUCCESS!!! there were cookies at our Healing Rooms tonight, but it was easy to just take some home for our sons, and we can eat cookies on the weekend. Before it would have been a struggle. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:55 am

Woo hoo! Look at all that GREEN!! Keep up the great work! :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks Gk,

I am really super tempted to have a snack right now. I had a 5:30 meeting, and so made dinner before that. Now I can't say I'm hungry, but I want to munch on something. Think I'll make myself some tea. Keeping a green streak going is a good thing. :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:49 am

Yesterday was SUCCESS!!!
I didn't have a snack last night. :mrgreen:

Today was a failure :oops: I cooked a turkey dinner because the turkeys were on sale for $1.09 a pound. It costs at least 3 times that in Mexico. So even though I had a big plate full of turkey, mashed and sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy and vegetables, I still caught myself snacking after dinner while I was carving up the bird and putting everything away. :? I love turkey!! Oh well, I was tempted to have cookies then since I already failed, but I didn't! :wink:
Patty

Okaybear

Post by Okaybear » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:42 am

Good job on not caving on the cookies! I know how easy it is to go down that road...and how hard it is to resist! That sounds like a success in my book!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:39 pm

Okaybear wrote:Good job on not caving on the cookies! I know how easy it is to go down that road...and how hard it is to resist! That sounds like a success in my book!
Thanks, that's what keeps me going, a positive spin!
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:57 am

It's been a while since I checked in, hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas if you celebrate it. Seems like everyone is really busy, I've been checking the boards but just not my own!

Thurs and Friday, Dec. 22 and 23 were SUCCESS, AND SUCCESS!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thurs was my father-in-law's memorial service. Beautiful service and about 100 people there. There was a dinner after with dessert, I didn't have the dessert even though my DH did.

I got home from that and the proof of my book that I will be publishing arrived!! The cover looks great, but there are some minor formatting problems inside, and I'm finding punctuation inconsistencies as I go over it reading and editing it again. I'm excited! It really will be published and soon! :P

Friday we started our S days early again, for popcorn at the movie and dessert for our date night. Sat and Sunday were big S days. Too much grazing and sweets, but it was a wonderful time with family.

Yesterday was a SUCCESS!! :mrgreen: and today, Tuesday was an NWS day because we traveled. It really wasn't much different than a No S day, but this afternoon it was too long between our early lunch and our late dinner, so I ate the little nut bar they gave me on the bus. We're back in Mexico and its warm. Perfect, really. Back in my shorts and sandals. Walked to the market to buy our dinner, most of the stalls were closed, but still was able to put dinner on the table.

8)
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:50 am

You are doing so wonderful. You are going through some difficult and emotional times right now and you're still sticking with the plan. Many, many people would throw the diet out the window right now, and you're still hanging in there - way. to. go!!!!

You are getting a book published?!?!?! Congrats!!! That's awesome news!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:49 am

gk wrote:You are doing so wonderful. You are going through some difficult and emotional times right now and you're still sticking with the plan. Many, many people would throw the diet out the window right now, and you're still hanging in there - way. to. go!!!!

You are getting a book published?!?!?! Congrats!!! That's awesome news!
Thanks gk, I'm working hard on a (hopefully) final edit. I'm excited about it.

Today was SUCCESS!! I need it because I was back to my starting weight when I checked the scale after Christmas. I don't usually weigh on Monday, but I wanted to calibrate my scale here in Mexico. I do feel rather bloated.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:35 am

Today was a SUCCESS!!! :mrgreen:
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:04 pm

Patty...

I haven't been around the boards for a week or so either. I've been doing fine, but just busy.

I'm glad to hear your FIL's memorial service was nice. I hope it was a sweet celebration of his life.

You're doing so well with this plan. Just look at all you've walked through in the past months...but you're still chalking up those success days. We're learning maintenance. We're learning to stick to this...and we're learning that we CAN do this.

I hope your transition back to your Mexican home away from home is a great one.

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:03 pm

Janie, thanks for your kind words.

Yesterday Friday was SUCCESS!! :mrgreen:

it's nice to be back in Mexico. I need to get back in the habit of walking. I've been posting here but not on the habit cal. I have a habitcal for walking, and it was much better when I kept up with that. I was walking at least every other day in the states, but here I've been working feverishly on my book edit and letting everything else slide. The edit is more involved and time consuming than I ever thought it would be!

I am walking short walks to the market to buy for dinner each day, about 6 blocks, but need to do more. The weather is perfect here so I have no excuse there. So I'm going to post here success or failure on the walking too for a while. My requirement is at least 15 minutes continuous walking. The walk to the market is only about 7 each way. I can easily add a detour on the front end to make it 15 before I get there.

So walking yesterday: failure :oops: I did try, I took a break about 5pm when it was cooler, and started to walk, but after about 5 minutes I stopped at a friends house for a visit. Wait a minute! In the evening after our New Years service at church, we couldn't get a cab at the cab stand, so we walked about 15 minutes to the main road to catch one! SUCCESS!!! :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 pm

I just went to my HabitCal and filled in December for No S, because I had posted here all the days, I could do it (not for walking, just for No S diet)... I like what I see-- I'm seeing a lot of GREEN! I like to celebrate success! :lol: :mrgreen:

I only had two red days and two NWS days in December!! There were lots of sweet eating opportunities that I passed up, but I ate all I wanted on the weekends. So even though I gained a couple pounds in December, I will lose it, and other years I would have gained at least 5 pounds, so this is Big success!!! Happy New Year with no regrets food wise!! Maybe for the first time in my life, because I have spent holiday seasons on a strict diet before, but then I had lots of regrets food wise. I regretted not being able to eat desserts and Christmas cookies! I felt very deprived. Thanks Reinhard! I love the No S diet!!!
Patty