Everyday Freedom

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Joy

Everyday Freedom

Post by Joy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:33 pm

I cannot believe this year is almost over!
And I am still struggling with dieting :(
But today I made a commitment to follow NO S until the end of next year.
I don't know what I weigh and I don't care anymore.
If I can make it through the next year without gaining weight and having to go up another clothing size I'll be happy.
If I can make it through the next year and fit into my smaller clothes I'll be ecstatic!!!! I'll probably be small enough to do a cartwheel :)

I have a size 8 black pant suit that fit me nicely about 6 years ago.
At that time I wanted to lose about 10 pounds. Now I can't even get the pants over my thighs *sigh*

I would like for the pant suit to fit or be too big by Dec 31, 2012. Don't know what weight that is on the scale and I don't care. I just know that I looked really nice at that time.

With NO S and some treadmill walking I think I can do it. My two main problems are overeating sweets and eating/munching when I'm not really hungry. But you know what? I really do miss the days when I didn't care about calories and carbs and fats. I just ate the foods I liked to eat. It's unfortunate that I let things get out of control. But that's the past. Today I begin on a new path.
Last edited by Joy on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joy

Post by Joy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm

The Pleasures I Gave Up For All the Many Diets I've Tried

A poached egg topped with butter
Crusty, chewy white bread
Coffee with frothy whipped cream
Real ice cream with only 5 ingredients
A bowl of warm oatmeal
One Dove milk chocolate that slowly melts on my tongue
Italian dressing on my tossed salad
My mother-in-law's homemade jam on a hot biscuit
A hot baked potato
Crunchy baby carrots
Hot chocolate on a very cold day
Pizza with my husband on Friday nights
Popcorn with a movie
A just ripe banana
Real maple syrup on warm multi-grain pancakes
Whole yellow grits with butter and pepper
Ice cream at Cold Stone on a warm summer Sunday
Sweet tea at a cook out
A spoonful of Nutella out of the jar
A roasted chicken breast with the crispy skin
Corn on the cob
A hamburger with a soft bun
Fries dipped in ketchup
A baked sweet potato
Tuna salad with crackers
A glass of cold milk

I've missed so many of the small pleasures in life
in my pursuit of the perfect diet.
All the things that in and of themselves didn't make me fat to begin with.
And struggling to give them up didn't help me gain control of my eating.
Trying to give them up just made me want them more.
Following this equation would have kept me on the road to complete freedom: wisdom + discipline
I could have put them all in their proper place and enjoyed them in moderation
but I denied myself for a season and then ate some of them uncontrollably in secret when no one could see me
And I found myself four dress sizes larger with fat rolls and jiggly thighs
I've measured my onions and counted my carbs
I've sauteed my peppers in water to lower my points
I've eaten canned salmon when I knew that I hated every bite
And eyed my husband's ice cream with every spoonful he ate
I've burned too much gas driving around looking for that special food that was supposed to make all the difference in the world
I've cooked two meals and every meal time to accommodate my diets when I really wanted what I cooked for my husband
I've drank coconut oil in warm water and had a small vitamin shop in my cabinet
I could go on forever about he stupid things I've done in pursuit of the perfect diet
Please help me NO S! Guide me to freedom and balance and wisdom!
Last edited by Joy on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:37 pm

This is such common sense - it's great!

It also makes me sad - you have articulated a lot of my own feelings.
Eileen

Joy

Post by Joy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Eileen7316 wrote:This is such common sense - it's great!

It also makes me sad - you have articulated a lot of my own feelings.
Eileen,
I am sorry that you have felt and experienced the same as me. I would not wish that torment on anyone. It did feel like torment for me. But I'm glad you found a small amount of encouragement from it. :)

Joy

Post by Joy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:57 pm

DAY 1 (12/14/11) = SUCCESS

My first day on NO S was great! It has been a long time since I felt the freedom to just eat my meals without worry. I enjoyed every bite of every thing I ate :D The toughest part of the day was after lunch. I always crave something sweet after lunch...not sure why.
I'll have to make sure to have some fruit or yogurt or a small coffee at the end of the meal. I think that will curb the need.

I watched a great movie called "Seven Days in Utopia" There was a scene in which the main character was instructed to bury the lies he has believed and begin to live with the truths he had recently learned. It was a thought provoking moment for me. I made a list of lies that I have believed over the years about health and weight. Some of them I conjured up myself and others I picked up from different sources. I'd like to share them. I'll do it one day at a time because, sadly, the list is quite long.

:twisted: LIE # 1 I am going to be fat because everybody else in my family is fat.
:idea: TRUTH: I don't have to be fat. With disciplined eating and consistent exercise I can reach and maintain a normal healthy weight.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Good attitude!

Joy

Post by Joy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 pm

DAY 2 (12/15/11) SUCCESS

LIE #2 Sugar/Fat/Carbs/Dairy/Wheat/etc made me fat.
TRUTH: I have no allergies to any of the above. I overate most days of my life and that is what has made me fat.

Joy

Post by Joy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:17 pm

12/16 SUCCESS
12/17 and 12/18 SDays- My treat: homemade icecream

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:06 pm

I enjoyed reading your blog, especially the Dec 14 post.

I can't believe some of the crazy diet related things I've done too. Just to name a few, I've juice fasted, only eaten raw foods, endured colonics, drank shots of wheatgrass and eliminated wheat (even though I'm not gluten intolerant).

The even crazier part is that at the time they didn't seem crazy!

No more craziness for us! No S will keep us sane.
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:03 pm

I've drank coconut oil in warm water and had a small vitamin shop in my cabinet

HELLOOOOOOO Been there done this one!!! OMG :shock: I was spending as much on vitamins as I was on food at one time!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was obssessed with taking all the right vitamins for a person that was high histamine! Then I found out I was actually LOW histamine! LMAO! So, I got all the supplements for that and took them! A nightmare, and an expensive one is what that was.

I have also spent tons of bucks on special diets and programs and books and drinks and shakes, and CD's and online programs, and ..........................well, you all know the drill.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

SavvyV

Hi

Post by SavvyV » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:21 am

I enjoy reading your blog. . .so true the things we give up in pursuit of the "perfect diet. May you find the Peace that passes understanding.
If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution. ~Author Unknown

You can't lose weight by talking about it. You have to keep your mouth shut. ~Author Unknown