I Say Yes to my New S Diet

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SavvyV

I Say Yes to my New S Diet

Post by SavvyV » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:51 am

OK- - -I know I'm a wholehearted outlaw when it comes to devising a plan of attack on my excess weight. My body is not a prison AND I REFUSE TO LIVE LIKE A PRISONER IN IT.

My body is the temple of GOD. How I treat it and dwell in it must reflect this fact. Any habits worthy of acquiring will magnify God's presence in my life. Even (especially) on S days.

I like the No S approach for helping me develop acceptable habits of WHEN to eat. There are plenty of plans to tell you WHAT to eat. However, I think what is lacking in all diet plans is HOW to eat. Not one diet plan that I've read about tackles the heart of the matter of gluttony and that is the sin involved in the disgusting habits that dethrones and/or replaces Jesus in my heart. Face it. Do you think that food can be idolized?

Do we think more about the created than we do of the CREATOR? Do we find more joy in eating than we do in soaking up God's Word?

There is a lot of subtle idolatry in this world and FOOD because it is something that the body needs to survive, ranks in the very TOP.

So I've come up with my New S Diet that demolishes my sinful, shameful, and senseless habits.

I say YES to the HOLY SPIRIT that dwells in me.
I say YES I will honor his presence and guidance over my life
I say YES to my faith in God to sustain me
I say YES to the humility of my desperate need for God to fill me up in every area of my life

My new S diet is to
Share my God
Share my acceptable thoughts
Share my food
If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution. ~Author Unknown

You can't lose weight by talking about it. You have to keep your mouth shut. ~Author Unknown

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:51 pm

I support your determination.

I do not, however, agree with equating eating responsibly with religious faith. However, if that's a metaphor that works for you, I wish you well.

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:34 pm

SavvyV,

I agree with all you've said. I think until we learn to satsify our cravings with God instead of food, we are just making the food behave.

I don't know if you are familiar with it, but I have a book recommendation for you - Made To Crave, written by Lysa Terkeurst. I find that NoS works well when you work on craving the right things.

Blessings!
Eileen

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:42 pm

OH MY I love your post!!! :D

I so agree it's so much about *when* to eat. How often to eat. I want to eat like a naturally slim person does and have spent a lotta time reading, observing, researching the subject. Conclusion I have come to is most naturally slim people eat a little breakfast, a little lunch, a little dinner a few bites of dessert. They will have a handful of popcorn or a few pretzels etc... if they go to an event or party on the weekends. They don't eat diet foods or order the diet plate in a resturant or the low carb meal off the menu. They eat what they like. They do not read diet books or join Weight Watchers. :roll:

Well by golly whiz bang! that's NO S in a nutshell. This is how people that follow their natural God given internal signals eat. I work with people that do this. I have gone to temple with people that eat this way and are naturally thin.

I am really greatful and thankful to God that NO S is here, there is a book and forums and podcast and we have each other. :wink:
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)