Planning is key!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

totljenn

Planning is key!

Post by totljenn » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 pm

I have found that planning how and what I will eat each day is helpful. I feel overwhelmed and just icky when I don't have a granola bar or apple around in case I get hungry. I hate turning to a hot dog at the movie theater for dinner because I didn't plan ahead. Planning meals makes them more enjoyable. Planning to have a piece of fruit around helps to limit snacking and sweeting. Planning my grocery list around healthy choices and not on my impulses at the store saves me money and ensures that I will have what I need on hand to be successful. I have always been a planner except for my food. Here's to changing that!

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:32 pm

So true!! Planning saves me from making decisions when I wouldn't make a healthy choice. It gives me healthy options; it fills in the blanks. If I didn't plan, I wouldn't get anything done, as far as dinner and shopping goes!
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145