Milly's weekly check in!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

milliem

Milly's weekly check in!

Post by milliem » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Wow I can't believe how long it's been since I paid attention here. I've had a busy couple of months and my diet has... backslid. Well, been abandoned more or less! I'm ready to re-commit and get back into the NoS way though :) I've stayed aware of NoS for the last couple of months, but keep making excuses about why I will start it next week or why I should just eat that chocolate bar :roll: I'm going to combine NoS with the Beck Diet Solution in an attempt to increase my motivation to stick with it and improve my compliance.

So first things first:

Reasons I want to lose weight
- I'll look better
- I'll be able to wear a smaller size
- I'll get joy out of shopping for clothes
- I'll be in better health
- I'll have more energy

Goals
- Vanilla NoS
- log food every day for the first month
- half of my evening plate to be vegetables

September 2012

Overall compliance for September - 94.7% (bronze medal yay! :))
Success 60%, Weekend S day 30%, Special 3.3%, Failure 3.3%

Start weight: 176.9
End weight: 177

October 2012

Overall compliance for October - 91.3%
Success 67.7%, weekend S day 25.8%, Failure 6.5%

Start weight: 177.7
End weight: 171.6

November 2012

Overall compliance - 72.7% (:()
Success 46.7%, weekend S day 26.7%, NWS day 16.7%, Failure 10%

End weight for November - 175.7
Last edited by milliem on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 34 times in total.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Monday 3rd September - Day 1

Lunch: bagel with hummus, greek yoghurt, cherries
Dinner: pulled pork roll, salad

So far so good - 2 meals so far today, and I'm still pretty full from dinner. No sweets or snacks in the house which is definitely a good thing!!

SophiaLara

Post by SophiaLara » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Hi Milly! I'm reading (and doing) the Beck Diet Solution along with the No S Diet, too. My reasons for losing weight are just like yours. and so are my goals. As a matter of fact, your post could very well have been mine!

Good luck to us both as we venture on this journey together. :D

Lara

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Millie glad to see you back.

Pulling my Beck book out too.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Hey snapdragon and sophielara - nice to know it's not just me! :) I'm reading the book a chapter a day so far, just trying to get into the swing of things.

I'm going to keep a running record of green/red/S days in the first post I think, it'll remind me to look back over my reasons for losing weight as per the Beck strategy!

Tuesday 4th September - day 2

lunch - as yesterday.
dinner - TBD...

My OH wants to 'treat' us to pizza tonight, tempting! Of course pizza is allowed on NoS, if I can fit it onto one plate :) Part of me is thinking 'it's fine, it fits with my diet' although it wouldn't meet my half veggies goal. Plan B is leftover pulled pork from last night.

SophiaLara

Post by SophiaLara » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 pm

You could bring veggies with you in a container. I've done that before. No one seems to mind or even notice! (Fold the pizza in half to make more room for the veggies.) Just an idea.......
Lara

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 pm

We ordered a pizza in, and I compromised by ordering a vegetable pizza :lol: I did manage to stop at 4 slices (a plate's worth), so I don't feel too bad about it!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Welcome back, milly! :)

Nice to have you back again !! :)
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks Roxy!

Wednesday 5th September - Day 3

lunch - bagel with hummus, a red pepper
afternoon - 3 slices (w/o crusts) leftover pizza
dinner - pulled pork roll + popcorn

Funny stuff - I wasn't sure how filling the pulled pork roll would be (it fit on a small side plate with plenty of room) and I didn't fancy a 2nd roll, so when I plated it I did it with an eye to figuring out if I needed to eat more afterwards. Ended up eating popcorn while watching a film with a friend - but I filled a shallow bowl with popcorn and stopped when it was empty, so counting that as a plating success :) Really I need to make sure I have a full plateful of food before I start!

I also went for a run today - my first one EVER! Me and my OH are starting the C25K plan, he is fit and does a lot of weights but wants to improve his cardio, and I just want to do something! I'm pretty sure I looked the spitting image of a beetroot when I'd finished but I feel pretty good :)

Yesterday the Beck book said to choose two diets - one to start with, and one if that doesn't work. Vanilla NoS is my 'plan A' of course, and I think my plan B will just be to modify if something's not working. I'm not sure there are any other diets that I really want to commit to!
Last edited by milliem on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinnamon bliss

Post by cinnamon bliss » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Congratulations on starting to run. That must be exciting.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Good job Millie, you gotta start somewhere. I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a while and she lost tons of weight, and still has a bit to go to be in a normal BMI range. She lost it by running. Running inspired her to make better choices with food. She looks great and is training for a half marathon. I am in the obese rage as far as BMI, and if she could run there is no reason I can't.
What I am trying to say is I have been thinking about running for a while, and just haven't gotten myself to actually do it. So Millie gets a cookie (to save for the weekend of course) good for you.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Snapdragon - from your signature your weight is similar to mine, if I can do it anyone can!! :) At the moment running isn't exactly easy, but I'm really looking forward to improving. I know when I was doing weight training consistently I felt more motivated to eat well, so I'm hoping running will be the same too.

Thursday 6th September - day 4

lunch: bagel with hummus, strawberry yoghurt, jerky
afternoon: 2 crumpets with marmite
dinner: (planned) butternut squash tortellini

Mini success: looking in the cupboard for some marmite, realising I had an opened packet of chocolate covered fudge, NOT eating it :D

The Beck solution had me commit to eating sitting down yesterday. I almost always do this (if I'm not snacking, I don't need to stand up to eat, and I sit in front of a computer most of the day at work anyway!) but I can see the importance of it. I actually had one bite of beef jerky yesterday while standing (to figure out if I liked it before taking it to work for lunch) so uh, bit of a fail on that front!

I think the times I'll be tempted to eat while standing are when I want a taste of something. There's nothing to stop me from walking a few steps and taking a seat at the dining table to do that though, so that's what I'll do!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:42 am

Wow chocolate covered fudge...sounds really chocolaty!!!!

Inspired by your lunch I bought hummus to enjoy this week.
I have such a habit of taking bites of things without thinking about it that I only count it if I purposely ate something. If I stop myself after one bite because I 'forgot' I don't count it, because I sometimes have an all or nothing mentality.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm not a big nibbler generally - I don't tend to nibble food while I cook or grab things on the go. As it's not one of my real problem eating behaviours I'm pretty relaxed if I want to taste a teaspoon of sauce to see if it's ok, or a taste of something to see if I like it. I figure if I stop at the planned mouthful it's all good! :)

Friday 7th September: Day 5

Lunch: bagel with light mayo and mixed spanish meats, greek yoghurt
Dinner: 5 course extravaganza!!

I'm going away for two days with family to celebrate my aunt's 60th birthday - which means two evening meals in the hotel that apparently are a five course mystery menu! I'm looking forward to it :) So today is half a success (lunch as planned) and half an S 'event'. Should that just be a full day success as it's not a proper S day? Dunno. Maybe I'll make it a yellow green day and confuse myself :D

Wow, a full green week, that's the first since... April. Huh. Go me I guess!

cinnamon bliss

Post by cinnamon bliss » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Go you!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Saturday 8th September - Day 6

Breakfast - toast, poached eggs, juice
Lunch: battered cod, peas and chips
Dinner: 5 course extravaganza day 2 :)

Had a lovely weekend with my family, and barely had anything between meals. I had a couple of chocolate covered pretzels that my OH was eating to see what they tasted like (yummy!) but other than that pretty much stuck to the 3 meals. Of course dinner was a crazy amount of food and I really could have eaten less of it, but it's not something I do often so I enjoyed it :)

Also went on a 3 mile walk in a forest park which was lovely! It's given me terrible hayfever today though.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Sunday 9th September: Day 7

Breakfast - toast with marmalade
Lunch - butternut squash ravioli with tomato sauce
Dinner - fish pie, sugar snap peas

Snacks - a handful of peanut fudge, a small handful of jerky, chocolate bar

Not too bad an S day considering!

Monday 10th September: day 8

Lunch - chicken roll, cherries, greek yoghurt
Dinner - steak & cheese subway roll, tomato pasta salad

A bit of a funny one today, I couldn't decide what to have for tea and wanted to make sure I had enough. I originally picked up a cold pasta salad and then as OH popped into subway... decided I wanted one of those instead! So I had both :lol: They both fit on one plate so N day success anyway!

Re-started C25K (so we can start week 1, day 1 on a Monday). Going ok so far, calves felt a bit sore though so I need to make sure I am hydrated on run days I think, I hadn't drunk much water today.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Tuesday 11th September: Day 9

Lunch: chicken roll, edamame beans, crisps
Dinner: homemade pizza

So far so good, although I'm struggling to keep to my goal of having half a plate of veg at my meals! I need to plan more... at the moment I'm trying to use up what's in my scupboards/fridge/freezer and we have a lot of pasta and bread type products. Still, happy to be building the N day habits again I'll worry more about what's on my plate later!

I haven't had a chance to read the Beck diet book for the last couple of days so I'm catching up. The last couple of chapters were about giving myself praise for a job well done (I think noting green days helps with that!) and eating more slowly. To be honest I'd forgotten about that one until just now, and it's something i need to work on. I do make an effort to sit with my meals at our dining room table, but I haven't been great at following this advice yet. I think I just focus on my hunger! I need to put my food/cutlery down after each bite to remind myself to eat more slowly.

Chapter 6 was about finding a diet coach - I wonder if this forum counts??

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Wednesday 12th September: Day 10

lunch: chicken roll, cherries, greek yoghurt
dinner: butternut squash pasta with tomato sauce
post-cinema: cheese pastry twist

Busy day yesterday! Did another run - went a little faster than the last couple which damn near killed me hehe, I need to take it easy! Funny stuff - I was still hungry after dinner, and realised that actually I hadn't eaten an awful lot over the day, particularly for a run day. Resisted sweets and snacks at the cinema, but wanted to eat something else before bed so I had a cheese twist thingy. Good thing too, I had a bit of gnawing hunger as I went to bed, it would have been much worse had I not eaten anything else.

Thursday 13th September: Day 11

lunch: cheese and onion roll, jerky
afternoon: corned beef pasty
dinner: sweet and sour chicken stir fry with noodles

Another slightly funny day, I had originally taken crumpets to work for breakfast but they turned out to be mouldy :( I split my lunch (which was small, hence the crumpets) and had the jerky mid morning to keep me going and the roll a bit later.

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Friday 14th September: Day 12

Lunch: cheese and onion roll, green pepper
Afternoon: cheese and onion roll
Dinner: leftover sweet and sour chicken, chips

I've felt a bit funny all day, bordering on dizzy. Went for a long walk instead of a run (about 3 miles), hoping I'll feel better tomorrow and can do the run then instead. Treating myself to some OJ for the vitamin C tonight :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th September: S days

Not horrible, not great. I had a half idea in my head of just having one or two treats over the weekend but it didn't exactly work out that way :) Oh well, can't fail an S day!

Monday 17th September: Day 15

Lunch: prawn mayo roll, blueberries, yoghurt, crisps
Dinner: pulled pork roll, sweet potato, braised cabbage

Week 2 day 1 of C25k complete - flippin eck this was tough! Legs were quite tight and sore from doing weights yesterday, and I forgot to drink enough water during the day. Bleh. I managed it though!

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Woah how did it get to Thursday already!!

Tuesday 18th September: Day 16

Lunch - as Monday
Dinner - Homemade pulled pork pizza

Wednesday 19th September: Day 17

Lunch - as Monday (strawberries instead of blueberries :))
Dinner - beef, broccoli and cauliflower stir fry

Did C25k week 2 day 2 - felt loads better than Monday, legs weren't nearly as sore although it was still tough.

Thursday 20th September: Day 18
Lunch - same again! run out of fruit though :(
Afternoon - thai couscous
Dinner - (planned) sausages, sweet potato, asparagus

Things are going pretty well so far, although I'm starting to get some cravings for sweet things... I don't know why, perhaps feeling the deprivation of having no sweets during the week for almost 3 weeks now? I don't feel like I'm getting used it it yet, I'm still having to make conscious decisions not to go out and get chocolate!! Urges to snack generally aren't so great, it's the desire for sweets that are getting to me.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:12 am

Friday 21st September: Day 19

Damn, I always seem to self-sabotage at around the third week! Oh well, one red day in three weeks isn't so bad, just need to get right back to it on Monday.

Lunch: coronation chicken sandwiches, stewed plums
Dinner: chinese takeaway (one plate)

The fails were: custard with my plums, 3 prawn crackers after dinner and then a chocolate bar. Not good, but I managed to avoid 'bugger it' thinking and totally binging all evening which is good!

Also completed week 2 of C25k, the third run of the week felt loads better although I think I went a bit too fast and knackered myself a bit by the end! Next week we have to run for three whole minutes in a row, eek!

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Weekend was ok, no very horrible binges but still ate a fair amount of sweet things. I went to a cheese festival on Saturday so as well as my lunch (a savoury crepe) and a dessert of dough balls, I tasted a loooot of cheeses! Sunday was better until I ate two chocolate bars after dinner for no real reason than I could! I'm still not ready to give up the sweet things I enjoy :)

Monday 24th September: Day 22

Lunch: bread, cheese, grapes, apple and yoghurt
Afternoon: a banana
Dinner: soup and a sandwich

The banana was a pre-workout energy boost, but I ended up not being able to run due to knee pain - was actually pretty gutted!

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Tuesday 25th September: Day 23

Lunch: as Monday
Dinner: chicken kiev, sweet potato, leeks

Wednesday 26th September: Day 24

Lunch: ham and egg sandwich
Afternoon: crisps, banana (meant to eat these with lunch but forgot I was so busy!)
Dinner: pizza (9" - fit on my plate without any sneaky stacking :P)

It's quite a nice feeling to think that I could reach the end of this month with only one red day... taking it one day at a time though! My knee is still acting up though, which is very frustrating. I don't see how I can run with sharp pain in my knee whenever I land my foot to walk, but I'm worried I'll lose all the progress I made on the first two weeks of C25k! Gah.

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:23 pm

Thursday 27th September: Day 25

Lunch: bagel with hummus, yoghurt, fruit
Dinner: gammon steak, sweet potato, leeks, peppers

Friday 28th September: Day 26

Breakfast: Banana
Lunch: welsh faggots, peas and mash
Dinner: thin crust pizza

Two rather large meals today but within rules and I'm hoping it gives me the 'treat' feeling that I often want on a Friday :) Also had half a pint of lager with friends after work - I was driving which kept me from drinking more. I'll have a mug of ovaltine later if I start to get sweet cravings, but so far so good.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Uuugh that was a heavy weekend. Although I didn't permasnack, I ate a LOT at each meal (and a couple of snacks besides). Ugh. I really need to get my weekends under control, I always put on all weight I might have lost during the week and end up having to start again each Monday! It's pretty depressing to know that one out of control weekend means absolutely no progress. Despite a very good month for NoS compliance, if I look at September 1st and September 30th, I gained 0.1 pounds :roll: . Negligible in the long run, and I have to focus on the positives - I am happy with overall not gaining weight. That's something I guess! Plus I got down to a new lowest weight this month of 173.5 pounds, so I know with compliance the weight will come off!

Anyway enough ranting from me.

Monday 1st October

Lunch: french onion soup, bread roll, yoghurt
Dinner: chicken kiev, carrot and swede mash, broccoli

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:36 am

Hmm, not a great week.

Tuesday and Wednesday were fine, Wednesday and Thursday were fails.

Wednesday's fail - fudge after dinner
Thursday's fail - chocolate after dinner

I really need to sort out my eating during the day, if I don't eat enough I get starving in the evening and my one plate doesn't satisfy me! I need to get something nutritious, filling but not stodgy for eating as my mid-afternoon meal.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi! I haven't read every post so I may have missed this, but am curious about your not having any breakfast many days. And I also wonder if you're actually stomach hungry when you eat in the afternoon, or are you just feeling you are owed a meal?

I hope it's okay if I offer some suggestions.

Remember that you can always have a beverage between meals (including after dinner) if you are feeling true hunger. I find that even if I am very hungry for dinner, and even if I eat a normal-sized dinner, if I eat slowly (I don't have to force myself anymore-- I want to because it helps me enjoy the food so much!) and wait about half an hour and then have milky decaf or tea with sugar, I have to admit that I am not really hungry. I might have a psychological urge to eat, but if I'm honest, I see that I really have had enough to eat. I know that if I wait it out, my body will tap into its reserves. And there's always milk. I find I am never tempted to overdo beverages, but if I start chewing, even on "healthy" things, there can be an urge to keep grazing, either that night or on subsequent nights. Whatever you do will become the habit, so it's worth the effort to resist the urges. Beck helps with that!

I also suggest that for awhile that you plan a pleasurable or productive activity, something you need to think about a little- not just watching TV- right after dinner that takes you away from food and the kitchen, you'll see that you are fine with no more food. When you let yourself sit there wondering are you full enough, and what else you can eat, and what to pick at, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Enjoy your plate of food slowly and thoroughly, and be done with it.

If dieters look at it, they see that one of their biggest problems is what to do if they aren't eating or thinking about eating. It can be the same issue on No S. Three meals and LIFE in between. No one starves doing that.

And eating slowly I believe has been KEY to my changes. Beck recommends that from day one, no? Even before dieting. Eat slowly, eat sitting down, savor your food, and eat when you're hungry, stop when you're just full. Plus lots of response cards and acknowledging your successes! Those plus No S will take you a very long way.

Get those veggies in! They will become a new, very enjoyable habit. After awhile, you'll wonder how you ever ate a whole plate of dense (everything but veggies and fruit) food. And they usually demand more chewing, so that registers as more food in your brain.

Keep it up! You've done a lot of great work.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah I never eat breakfast. I've never been able to get into the habit - I don't feel very hungry in the mornings, don't have a lot of time before I leave for work, love my sleep and am usually too busy once I hit work to eat it. A difficult combination to get past!

However, I am usually hungry at midday, which is when I eat my lunch. I think a problem is not eating enough at lunch - if I'm only eating twice a day they do need to be pretty solid meals. Sometimes I am genuinely hungry at 4-5pm particularly if I've had a smallish lunch (soup for example) but I'm not confident I can go from 5-10pm without food. Hence the afternoon meal, it's a psychological thing of eating three times a day, but also ensures that I am eating enough and not going so long between meals that I get hungry outside 'meal time'. Going from 10pm to midday is easy - over half that time I'm asleep, and the rest I'm busy in work.

I do sometimes skip the afternoon meal, for example if I know my evening meal will be quite large or calorific, I might have a drink in between to stave off hunger, I might not.
So, today - I had soup and two slices of wholemeal bread, plus an apple for lunch at midday. I got home around 5pm and had a small bacon roll. I'm sitting here planning for dinner and I actually do feel a bit stomach hungry. By my reckoning, that plus an evening meal will be a reasonable amount of food for the day.

I have to say, most of my fails aren't from thinking I'm hungry and eating when I didn't need to - they are from giving in to cravings or urges for sweet things! That's the real difficult area for me.

Anyway thanks for stopping into my thread, it's helped me to think things through :) I'm off work next week, maybe I'll see if I can get a breakfast habit going!!

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:09 pm

The week is going ok, all green so far! Not been tracking my meals this week, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. NoS is meant to be simple and not to need 'counting', but when I'm not checking in I do worse sometimes... maybe something about the accountability??

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:49 am

I'm not sure what to call it. Maybe checking in is a kind of training wheels until the inner balance is so solid. Maybe it's the price to pay for eating habit change in the midst of bounty. Necessity used to dictate moderation, to a large degree, I suspect. Having to create an inner culture and outer behavior does seem to take effort. It's still preferable to eternal calorie counting and weighing in my book. I just can't grok feeling beholden to a scale to keep me reined in. But I'll check in and even yak about my habits. Just not my calories!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Yup, tracking habits is so much more sustainable - you can do it mentally with minimal effort unlike trying to calculate calories or grams of carbs or something ridiculous! As I mentioned on a thread in the general discussion, I have tracked calories occasionally. I don't care that much, but I know I have a tendency to skew towards calorie dense foods, so it's nice to know what my choices are. I'm fortunate that the scale doesn't control me, I don't change my habits or behaviour depending what the scale says but it's been useful to see trends/patterns in what happens in my weight. The scientist part of me definitely comes out doing NoS :)

I guess changing habits isn't easy, so to expect to do it with zero effort or accountability is probably not that realistic! Isn't there some research that making a diet change with a group is more effective than going solo?

Anyway, tracking specifics or no I'm still keeping track of green/red/S days. Yesterday was another green - two meals this time (largely due to not having anything that could have reasonably constituted an afternoon meal in the house...) and a mug of ovaltine before bed. I'm off out for a meal tonight with the OH, not for any special reason though so not planning on taking an S event.

Oh, and I restarted running! My knee stopped me partway through week two of C25k (sharp stabbing pains even while walking, not good!) but it seems to have recovered. I'm hoping to finish week 2 today, and move on to week 3 next week, crossing my fingers for no more knee flare ups!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:43 am

Friday 12th October

I'm calling yesterday green :) I went out for a meal and had a starter and main, but 'virtual plated' and stopped eating when I estimated I had the starter's worth of food left. I was comfortably full by this point so I think it worked out well! Very tempted to just keep eating even though full (and managed to resist the dessert menu). So yesterday's food:

Lunch: soup, bread, apple
Afternoon (pre run): banana, halloumi cheese
Dinner: king prawns, lebanese lamb with rice

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:09 pm

I think I might start just keeping a log of food on S days and red days, leave the rest just to check off a green day. Hopefully it will still keep me accountable (I know I'll have to come and check in if I eat something I shouldn't!) Plus maybe if I write down everything I eat on S days, it might start giving me the motivation to not eat so much... every weekend I have high hopes that I'll have a 'good' weekend and not overindulge, but never seems to materialise.

Saturday 13th October - S day
Breakfast - 2 chocolate pop tarts
Lunch - halloumi cheese and baked aubergine, ring doughnut
Snack (at cinema) - flapjack, slushie
Two pints of alcoholic ginger beer at the pub
Dinner - one plate of takeaway curry, 2 chocolate bars

I actually felt awful last night, really bloated and quite sick. Not sure if that was the amount of food I ate or a slightly dodgy curry though! I do suspect I might have one or two food intolerances, I often feel bloated, gassy or sore but I haven't pinned it down to anything particular yet.

Sunday 14th October - S day
Lunch - hunters chicken, broccoli, half garlic baguette

No breakfast today, wasn't hungry (not surprisingly!). Off to the cinema again today, but planning on a small snack and water. Not sure what's for dinner yet...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:59 pm

I'm curious and I hope it's okay to ask: how hungry were you for the food you ate later in the day? Were you having it because you could or because you were really feeling empty?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 am

oolala53 wrote:I'm curious and I hope it's okay to ask: how hungry were you for the food you ate later in the day? Were you having it because you could or because you were really feeling empty?
As always - because I could. That's my problem on S days, I eat because I can, not because I need to. Intellectually I know what I should (or could) do about it, I just don't! Believe me, I frustrate myself :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:08 pm

This has taken me an incredibly long time (coming up on three years!), but it is shifting. And basically, I'm just getting really tired of overeating on S days, just like I did of all the bingeing every day before No S. Sometimes I use some sense of willpower not to eat when I "could," but a lot of the time, even though the thoughts to eat do come, they stay very neutral and the thought of how crappy I'll feel is just a little stronger. It's very subtle. I might have been able to bring it on earlier, but I'll never know. I was just so afraid of rebound that I rarely pushed it. But it does seem some people have had good results using purposeful mods for S days.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 pm

Yeah I'm hoping it'll start shifting slowly. Although I've been doing this for maybe 18 months in total, I have only been back and properly focusing on N days for 2 months now, so I'm not going to go too hard and heavy on my S days. Even when I was following it before, I haven't been great at N day compliance, so that's what I need to focus on. I know heavy S days are what's holding me back from having any significant weight loss, but I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next few months and then relook at it. I'm not in any massive hurry! I've never been able to 'diet' properly as I just haven't been able to get my head around restriction. NoS is at least keeping me stable with a slight downward trend, hopefully some more time and compliant N days will increase my motivation not to overeat on weekends :)

Better log the rest of Sunday's food...

Afternoon - chocolate bar, fudge pieces
Dinner - nachos (with cheese, salsa, sour cream), syrup pudding with custard
Evening snacks - more nachos and more fudge

Another day of overeating. After dinner I felt full, nicely satisfied, but still turned to the mindless eating while watching a film in the evening. Oh well, there's always next weekend :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:19 am

So far so good this week - three meals per day, all successes so far :) I was worried this week that I would be tempted to snack and eat more as I'm off work, but fortunately not!

I'm also on week 3 of C25k, completed two runs this week and one more due tomorrow. Who knew that running for three minutes would be so hard!! Feels good to be outside and running though, and although the first week seemed hard at the time I am making progress so that's good :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Had a complete green week this week which I'm pleased about. Last two days I felt hungry though. I only ate 2 meals on Thursday, and 3 on Friday, but was undeniably hungry on both evenings - the proper gnawing 'stomach hunger' not just the 'man I want chocolate...' hunger. Oh well, at least I know I can survive feeling hungry? It was pretty unpleasant though actually, I don't want to feel that kind of hunger! I don't think I ate that little yesterday, but all three meals were perhaps slightly smaller/less calorific than I'm used to.

Weight is at a new low for me this morning (77.5kg - down ~2.5kg from when I re-started at the beginning of September). I expect it to be back up again on Monday morning, but it's nice to know that each Friday I'm weighing slightly lower each time. Perhaps I'll switch just to weighing on Friday or Saturday mornings, take the theoretical lowest point of the week each time. It's not a big drama to me weighing every day though, I don't want to eat less to weigh less, in fact I'd be happier with slower weight loss and not having to deal with being miserable and hungry in the evening!!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Pretty good day yesterday eating wise!

Saturday 20th October:
Lunch - broccoli and stilton soup, bread roll
- 5 jaffa cake biscuits and a few pieces of fudge afterwards
Dinner - half a large dominos pizza

And that was it! Went out for a friends birthday so had quite a few drinks throughout the evening (feeling rather delicate this morning...), but resisted having a burger on the way home afterwards.

Sunday 21st October
Brunch - eggs benedict
Dinner - (planned) pan-asian buffet

Dinner will be an 'all you can eat' affair, which I'm ok with once in a while! Not really planning to eat much besides, but may snack on something or other before or after, depends how I feel.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:02 am

You're doing so well! Very inspiring and thanks for sharing when you struggle as well.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Thank you :) There's no point pretending it's all easy and perfect, as I'd be growing a very Pinocchio style nose if I tried ;)

Dinner on Sunday was 3 (and a bit) plates at the all-you-can-eat buffet. I was mindful about it and made sure each plate had clear space, one layer of food, and that I had some fruit or veggies on each one. Pretty similar to going out for a celebration meal where I'd likely have 3 courses in fact, although I did sneak in an extra pudding as I can't resist apple crumble, and it was deeelicious!

I also ate a few jaffa cakes in the afternoon/evening, shared them with OH and didn't eat the second package in the box :) OH 'kindly' took them off my hands for lunch today :roll: :lol:

Two meals today if all goes as planned, and started week 4 of C25k. Jeepers it's a step up from last week, my legs felt like wooden sticks at the end!! Chuffed I managed it - running for 3, 5, 3 and 5 minutes with short walking breaks in between. Considering a month or two ago I could barely run 60 second stretches I'm definitely improving!

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Just checking in for the week - all green so far, and no funny business :) I'm trying to fall into a pattern of only having a third afternoon mini-meal if I know my evening meal isn't going to be particularly large (soup, pasta, chicken & veg for example). If it's a more substantial or less healthy dinner, I don't have a third meal.

I'm in two minds what to do about this evening - I'm off out for a colleague's leaving do, and we'll be eating out and having a few drinks. I may take it as an S event, the rest of the day has been green. I might just see how it goes and if there is anything particularly 'worth' taking an S event for - if not I won't bother. I feel ok about making a decision at the time.

gk

Post by gk » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:51 am

Nice job on the green week! :) And I really like how you're not stressing about tonight - just taking it as it goes and not making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. Good job.

Have a great weekend. :D

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks gk :)

Friday ended up being green, so another full green week hooray!

Saturday 27th October - S day

Lunch - cottage pie
Snack - flapjack and a few squares of chocolate
Dinner - chicken dippers, onion rings, fries and mozzarella sticks.

Oof a greasy supper!! It all fit on one plate (rather piled up) but I didn't eat most of the fries. Also had half a bag of my favourite crisps (ham and pickle, delicious!) and one 'fondant fancy' in the evening.

Sunday 28th October - S day

breakfast - waffles with maple syrup and raspberries
lunch - more waffles...

I have a bad feeling dinner might be even more waffles :lol: Nah, determined to have a proper meal at some point today :)

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:51 pm

Yay for green!! Sounded like a wafflicious Sunday!!

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Hehe it was indeed!

I did manage to have a proper meal last night - hunters chicken, sweet potato and mixed veg. I also ate a fair few snacks and sweets; a fondant fancy, some white chocolate, 2 slices of angel cake and a 1/4 pack of peanut flavour snacks. Don't feel like I overate too badly although did eat quite a lot! Hoping for a nice green end to the month :)

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Millie,

Looks like you are doing great on your re-start! . I'm restarting as well. I made a commitment to 21 days strict vanilla NO S. I would love your help and encouragement and any tips!

:wink:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:07 pm

Checking in for October's progress - much better than last month! From 1st - 31st October I have lost 6.1 pounds! :) Compliance not so good as last month but pretty good nonetheless, in fact I have for the first time in ages hit 21 days+ successful NoS habits (26 days and counting). Weighing pretty much daily, I have noticed that this month I am generally maintaining my weight or increasing a little over the weekend rather than large weight spikes, which is good. Slowly but surely seeing a downward trend :) It's funny, looking back over early 2011 when I first tried NoS, I had a red pretty much once a week at least, some weeks were very red. No wonder I didn't see that many results!

Anyway, some funny stuff to report today - I was crazy busy all day, so forgot to eat some of my lunch (I ate it later in the day when I remembered). It was all planned and virtual plated for. Mustn't become a habit as it could feel too much like snacking, but not a red for me.

I'm also not doing to good on my running, I run with my OH and he has cried off the past couple of days as being tired/sore from weight workouts etc. I've made him promise that if we take this as a rest week we'll go for it next week no excuses! I struggle to motivate myself to go out, plus it's nasty and dark when I get home now and I don't feel too safe running alone :/

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:39 am

Congrats on the weight loss! You are doing great!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:04 am

Very well done! 21 days here I come.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks both! :) Good luck to you both on your 21 days :)

Unfortunately today has been a RED day. I had a cupcake at lunch - made and brought in for a colleague's 30th birthday, for which we had a little lunchtime celebration. I could excuse it (and it was delicious) but it's not the kind of event I can really justify a NWS day for!! Managed to resist all the other cakes and chocolates in the office for the rest of the day, and am trying to stick to my usual structure for the rest of the day.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 am

Oh, I don't know if I'd call that a RED day......having a cupcake at work in celebration and then RESISTING throwing in the towel and saying "what the heck" for the rest of the day??? I'd say that's a big step in the right direction, if ya ask me. :D

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Haha oh I'm so embarrassed, you're right gk there were a lot of successes during the day yesterday - unfortunately I didn't maintain my good work into the evening when I went to the cinema and gorged on pick and mix!!

Oh well, mark it and move on :) Today so far has been green, and persuaded OH to go out running (he's cried off all week and I don't like running in the dark alone :() I'm off to see my sister this evening and out for a meal, will try my best to keep it to one plate!

gk

Post by gk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 am

Cinema doesn't count. I mean you just HAVE to indulge there. I always find myself reaching for Dippin' Dots or CHOCOLATE candy. How can one possibly resist that? :wink:

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:50 pm

gk wrote:Cinema doesn't count. I mean you just HAVE to indulge there. I always find myself reaching for Dippin' Dots or CHOCOLATE candy. How can one possibly resist that? :wink:
Heh as tempting as it would be to not 'count' cinema, it's not worthy of an S event (plus I go EVERY week). Most of the time I go during the week and don't have much problem avoiding sweets/snacks - I occasionally get a sugar-free soda to feel like I'm having a treat. So, I've plenty of practice not eating while watching films and no excuses for reaching for the pick and mix, except of course greed! :)

Yesterday was green - had pizza for tea, so just two meals and nothing in between.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Weekend check in:

Saturday
lunch - burger, onion rings, butterscotch milkshake and shared a key lime pie. Yum!
dinner - a hot dog, handful of peanuts, 2 'crispy' cakes, a few pastry twists (and a couple of beers)

Sunday
breakfast - chocolate, hah :oops:
'lunch' - finished off a packet of peanut corn crisps, a mince pie
dinner - vegetable lasagne and carrots, slice of birthday cake, large handful of pringles

I felt like I ate more... may have forgotten something, it was slightly weird eating!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:51 am

Milly,
Sounds like a yummy weekend, here's to a green week for all of us!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Congratulations on 6# gone!!!! Have not been consistent with check ins but I still read the board now and then.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words snapdragon and sweetness :)

So, this week has been green so far, with a bit of 'funny stuff'. Monday and Tuesday were green, no problems. Wednesday until today I've been on a training course - I always allow myself a sweet after dinner when I'm away with work (if I'm eating with colleagues). So Wednesday was 2 meals plus one sweet, Thursday was 3 meals plus one sweet. Today I had breakfast, and lunch has been spread over a few hours (we got a packed lunch but I didn't want to hang around so I ate half of it in the car while driving home, will have the other half now!) I'm off out for dinner with friends this evening but expect I'll eat only one more meal - if I manage it this will be a fully green week.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 am

Congrats on the green week! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:01 am

A little late, millie - :oops: :oops:

(not posting as much these days )

Many congratulations on your weight loss - 6.1 lbs is wonderful! Great job!! :) :) :)
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

gk

Post by gk » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:53 am

Great job keeping to the plan while away from home. I always find it extra hard to stay on track when I'm away from home or when I'm out of my ordinary routine.

You have got this down - way to go. 8)

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:11 am

Well almost a green week - after a couple of beers on Friday I caved and ate ice cream :roll: I hate when things are going well and I randomly sabotage myself! Oh well, onwards and upwards :) I'm hoping next week I'll be able to get right back on track as I'm back in my normal routine and will be able to run too.

Saturday's S day food:
Lunch - chicken wings, half a bag of salt & vinegar mixed nuts, salted caramel cheesecake
Dinner (eating out with family) - loaded potato skins, pulled pork quesadilla, churros.

Also had quite a few beers throughout the day as I was at a rugby game. No snacking all day but my two meals were big!

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Sunday's S day eating:

'breakfast' - leftover mixed nuts
lunch - slice of pizza, some ice cream
dinner - burger & chips, a kit kat chunky

Not too bad overall actually. I drank a LOT more alcohol this weekend than I usually do - a few beers or other alcoholic drinks on Friday, Saturday AND Sunday! Typical I usually have no life at all and it all comes in one weekend! :)

Hoping to just check in once a week (probably Friday) to log my green days and weight from now on, and apart from that just check in with reds/S day eating.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:23 am

Thanks for stopping by my thread, here's to a green week for both of us! :mrgreen:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:42 am

So-so week for me - Monday to Wednesday were greens, Thursday was red and yesterday was green (with an S event).

Thursdays fails were:
- a small chocolate chip cookie and a mini caramel square at a lunch buffet, and a few crisps in the afternoon
- a kit kat chunky when I got home (gave in to the 'bugger it, the day is red anyway' temptation but managed to stop at that one chocolate bar!)

Yesterday I went to a leaving do for a colleague of 10 years, which included drinking and eating :) Was fun to hang out with my work buddies though! I also completed week 5 of the couch to 5k plan, which meant running for 20 minutes straight!! Doesn't sound like a lot, but 2 months ago I'd not run since school, and a few weeks ago I felt like death on a stick after running for 3 minutes straight!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:58 pm

[size=0]Milly, I would call your week a huge success! 4 green days, and you managed to stop yourself on Thursday instead of just eating everything! Good job!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Also congrats on getting up and running! That's also a huge success!
[/size]
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks sweetness, your encouragement is much appreciated :) Small successes even when they aren't green days are still definitely something to be proud of, I agree! I do know though that results come with compliance, so I do need to be mindful and keep working on those green weeks :)

Saturday 17th S day

breakfast - cheese pastry
lunch - omelette, salt and vinegar crisps, THREE! little dessert pots (definitely could have stopped at one there, lol!)
dinner - chinese meal out with family (mixed starter, kung po chicken and pineapple rice)

gk

Post by gk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:41 am

milliem wrote:I also completed week 5 of the couch to 5k plan, which meant running for 20 minutes straight!! Doesn't sound like a lot, but 2 months ago I'd not run since school, and a few weeks ago I felt like death on a stick after running for 3 minutes straight!
Wow! What an improvement! Woo hoo! :D

Couch to 5K plan - cute name. :lol: Just curious........how long is the program? You said you are on week 5....any certain running time you working toward?

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Couch to 5k (C25k) is 9 weeks long - it builds up from running 60 seconds/walking 60 seconds to 30 minutes of straight running. I started week 6 day 1 today (it's 3 days per week) so I'm not far off now! I doubt I'll actually be running 5k distance in 30 minutes by the end, but I shouldn't be far off so I'm planning just to keep adding some time to my runs and slowly increasing the distance. I don't always enjoy the runs, today was TOUGH as I had to tackle a big hill and I sometimes struggle with pacing, but I always feel better afterwards and I am really starting to like running. I've been going out in the rain and freezing cold so I must like something about it! :)

Sunday 18th November - S day
- no breakfast (was still full from chinese food on Saturday)
- snack - florentines
- lunch - most of a german sausage roll, a slushie drink at the cinema
- dinner - vegetarian lasagne and broccoli, more florentines, a couple of chocolate fingers

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Milly,
I looked up the C25k plan... Maybe I can do this, if I can figure out where to run!
:roll:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Sweetness wrote:Milly,
I looked up the C25k plan... Maybe I can do this, if I can figure out where to run!
:roll:
If I can do it, anyone can!! It is difficult at this time of year as it's dark out. I wouldn't feel safe running alone, fortunately I run with my OH. Unfortunately the nice parks where we normally run are pitch black and have no lighting so we have to stick to running around the streets, which isn't too bad if I avoid the hills! I don't think I could take a treadmill but that could work too :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:27 pm

I started today! The closest park one could run in is about 3 miles away, but there's a shopping center about a 12 minute walk from here, that has a soccer court marked off in the unused part of their parking lot so the kids can play. I ran (and walked) around the edges of that. Day one was not too hard, but even so I coud feel a bit of a burn in my calf muscles! I'm going to make a habit cal for it! 8)

We have plenty of bright hours here, no excuse there, but next time I will go out earlier. I didn't get out there till 11 AM, and it was just a bit warm. I went in the grocery store after and did some "weight lifting" on the way home. Two heavy bags! :wink:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Nice one!! Yeah the first few weeks weren't horribly difficult but I definitely felt it in my legs. These days my legs are used to it and recover quickly, but it's much tougher generally! Unfortunately I'm usually out between 7.30am and 5pm for work, which pretty means most daylight hours :(

Anyway, so far so successful this week. Some funny business:

- ate two cereal bars and some dried fruit in my car on the way home yesterday, I wanted to eat something (third meal of the day) a reasonable time before I went for a run and this was the only time I had!

- ate a Belgian chocolate brought all the way from Belgium by a work colleague. Doesn't happen very often that we get such treats and I just had the one with lunch so not counting it as a red.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:57 am

I did day 2 of the C25k first thing this morning. Really enjoyed it, and felt good after, even though my legs are sore whenever I get up and down from a chair or steps. Happy Thanksgiving!
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:48 am

This week has been green despite a bit of funny business.

Yesterday was green but including an S 'event' in the evening - a party at a friend's house. I had as my third meal of the day a scant plate of buffet food, along with two glasses of wine and two mini cake bites. Happy with that as an S event, apart from the fact that the little cakes were sweets, it was pretty close to an N day in any case!

I've stopped weighing daily to see a trend, but I'm back at my lowest weight so far since re-starting NoS (169lb) after a few weeks of random weighing when I remember and seeing fluctuations. Between yesterday morning and this morning apparently I lost 5 pounds :roll: Just shows how crazy it is to pin everything on one days weigh in!!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:19 am

Congrats on the weight loss, I would love to see 169 again! It's been 5 years! I weighed 197 right before I left Minnesota a month ago. :oops: I know I've lost a little since then, but my scale here is totally unreliable.
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks sweetness, I have to admit although I've always focused on habits and eating sensibly rather than losing weight specifically it's nice to see that the work is having an effect!

Saturday 24th November: S day

brunch: stuffed red peppers, a muesli bar, a little pot of toffee date pudding (so delicious!)
lunch: cheese and ham toastie, salad, onion rings
dinner: sausage and mash with red onion gravy
post dinner: a few jelly beans :)

Ate out twice yesterday as I was at the rugby and then off out with friends. As well as the above I had four beers throughout the day. Pretty solid S day really, no massive snacking and a couple of treats. It's that time of year where I've got loads of social events on though so I need to be mindful of my alcohol intake!!

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 am

I'm on holiday this week (and have been away until yesterday afternoon) so all this week has been 'S days'. It's funny, no matter how hard I try to keep to NoS structure when I'm away it just doesn't happen. Similar to how S days work I suppose, if I try and tell myself to be restrained when my brain is in 'holiday mode' I just rebel. Oh well, most days weren't too bad but eating out every meal certainly highlighted how uncomfortable feeling overfull is! As I normally don't eat breakfast too, the one we got in our B&B left me feeling very full for most of the daytime. Even though each day I had yoghurt, porridge and toast the owner was surprised how little I ate?!!

I generally tried to stick to a three meal structure most days, with the odd dessert and a couple of small snacks but not much permasnacking (until yesterday, not sure why that set in). I did buy a LOT of sweet treats while on holiday though, ones that are now sitting in my cupboard and I'm trying to think of a way of successfully ignoring them! Actually I feel pretty stuffed still this morning, it's 10.40am, I've not had breakfast and I feel like I won't need to eat for hours yet!

Looking forward to getting back into the N day routine next week, and hoping that this week won't set me back too far!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Well, November wasn't great. Compliance was low (due to a week's holiday S days) and weight has gone up - although as my holiday was right at the end of November it's not unexpected. Am hoping that the residual effects of pub meals and alcohol will reduce over the next few weeks!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:08 am

Try putting those sweet treats in a high cupboard so you have to get the steps tool to get at them... Worked for me! :wink:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:35 am

Hehe I do have a 'treat' cupboard although I don't have one high enough to have to work to get to... I actually often don't have a problem ignoring them if they are put away, we'll see! If I struggle I get my OH to hide them from me :D

Saturday 1st December - S day
Lunch - burger and chips (plus a couple of alcoholic drinks - out for the rugby)
Dinner - chicken stir fry
Post dinner - pretzel flips, some sweets and a mini mince pie

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:34 pm

:lol:
Patty

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 am

If I can keep it out of sight I don't have the problem of seeing it on my counter then getting that sudden urge. But there is no place to hide sweets if I REALLY want them.

The good news is you only have two more days to go!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

gk

Post by gk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Hey milliem - you still keeping up with your running? I actually thought of you last week, when I was reading an article on Jamie Lee Curtis (actress in US). She said she always avoided running because she didn't feel like it was very natural for her (that's not the part that reminded me of you....... :-). She is 53, I think, and she said she wanted to start trying some new things. She pushed herself to sign up for a marathon and guess how she trained??? She started the Couch to 5K plan! She never really said if she is going to continue running, but she did end up completing the marathon. :)

December has just started and I'm already looking forward to the routineness that January brings when it comes to food. So many treats floating around in December!

Enjoy the rest of your week. :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by on my check in! This week is going well so far, 3 green days under my belt and on track for another today - I've been a little tempted to have something sweet today but I don't feel like it's going to be too much of a struggle to stick to my guns.

Running has been a little slack this week - I ran on Monday but have been very late back from work the last two nights and it's been horribly dark and cold outside :( Lame excuses I know! I'm GOING to get back out there tomorrow.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:00 am

Checking in with a red for Friday - Friday's are always tough for me!

Fine all day, but ate 3 sweet chewy bars and a few mouthfuls of chocolate after dinner.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th December - S days

I mainly kept to a two meal structure during the days (had a proper lunch and dinner both days) S's that I took over the weekend were:
- a handful of foam sweeties
- 4 'gourmet' chocolates
- a handful of cheesy crackers
- a handful of pringles
- large bowl of plum crumble and custard

I'm sure there must have been more but I don't remember! I have half of the crumble and custard left and I'm not sure what to do with it!! Wondering if they will keep until next weekend or in the freezer... hmm.

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Just a quick check in, I've changed the title to weekly check in as that's more what I'm doing at the moment!

So far so green, and have kept up with my running so far this week too (2/3 25 min runs done). Friday will be an S day as I have a Christmas event with work including a meeting that runs over lunch so there won't be any real time for meals until late afternoon. Unless I eat a large late breakfast and then hang on til the 3pm meal.... hmm... I'll have to ponder on that one I think!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 am

Thanks for stopping by my thread. Good for you on the running! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Bah, red day check in!

Lunch was fine (although soup and fruit again, need to beef it up), got home hungry and with nothing savoury easily cookable went for the leftover crumble and custard! Knew I should have thrown that out or frozen it... Hoping that although a fail as it's sweet, I'll keep that as my 2nd meal of the day and just have one more meal so as not to make a total disaster out of today!

On a positive note my weight is back down 5 pounds since my holiday at the end of November!

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:38 am

Amazing weight progress and also great to see you stick to the structure when you don't stick to the spirit :)
I think that's a half-success at least. The 3 meal structure is at least half of the battle and means you only didn't stick to 1 of the Ss.
well done!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 am

I did stick to my plan on Thursday, no other fails for the day which I'm happy with!

Yesterday was an S day - work Christmas party involving a meeting/presentations from 10am-2pm then a meal a 3pm and the rest of the evening out in a bar! Didn't really try to keep too rigidly to a structure, although I just ate 2 oranges and a packet of crisps as a kind of early lunch and didn't snack on the chocolates or cakes that were at the meeting. It actually wasn't too bad of an S day apart from the alcohol, the only time I ate outside of the two meals was a couple of individual chocolates late in the evening (blaming the booze for that one :P)

Quite a busy weekend in front of me, hoping to keep to largely weekday structure with a few treats. Had a lemon muffin after my bacon roll as a brunch this morning, and we're out for a meal with the OH's parents this evening. I probably won't eat much in between and we're planning to go for a run in an hour or so. Feeling a tad delicate after last nights festivities but hoping I can make it!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Have a great weekend! 8)
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks sweetness!

Embarrassingly, yesterday when I suddenly remembered the drunken chicken burger and chocolate bar that I ate after my night out at work :oops: :lol: :roll: Ah well, I can't be held responsible for my actions after a triple strength cosmopolitan right?!!

Yesterday's S day wasn't too bad in terms of permasnacking, although pretty calorific:
- Brunch: bacon roll and lemon muffin
- Afternoon: a handful of foam banana sweeties
- Dinner: shared a portion of mozzarella sticks, a 'plantation platter' (chicken, ribs, mashed potato and sweetcorn) that I couldn't finish, and a bowl of apple pie.

Felt stuffed by the last meal and probably could have done without dessert but I'm a sucker for apple pie :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Sometimes that's what S days are for, so you can be reminded how much better sanity feels! I was up between 2 and 4 last night... I wanted things I don't have in the house. Cheetos, doritos... had to settle for cheese and crackers, an apple and a tangerine.

Milly, you can't pass up apple pie on an S day! You enjoyed it of course!
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Well Merry Christmas everyone! A little late I know hehe :) I've been caught up in the holidays, lots of socialising and family time which has been nice! Has meant pretty much no NoS tracking though - I'm trying to keep vaguely to the structure but I always find it tough at this time of year so I don't think I've had a green day since mid December.

In good news, I'm only about one pound up from last time I weighed, so it hasn't been too disastrous! I do need to get back into exercising though, I'm craving a run but finding it hard to get motivated with this dreary, cold and rainy weather - such floods all over the UK this Christmas :(

Anyway, off out for a birthday party tonight, no rest for the wicked...