Jammin' Jan's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:22 pm

It's good to know that you're doing well. Have a wonderful Easter.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:50 pm

I am under some considerable stress right now because of a promotion at work. Lots more money, stable hours, a whole hour for lunch with access to the microwave and fridge, but it is not work I have an aptitude for or an interest in. It feels like the Peter Principle in action: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

In addition, I have been trying to eat vegan and that isn't going so well, either. My digestive system just can't seem to handle it these days.

<sigh>

However, the good news is that I have been following No-S just fine.
Have been getting in some extra walking with my step-counter, and also trying to work in the calisthenics, too.

Family is fine. Health is excellent.

Life is pretty good right now. If only I could learn this job!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:17 am

Back to vanilla no-s today and I feel much better. The job went a little smoother, too.

Breakfast: eggs; tortilla; cranberry juice

Lunch at work: container of green beans; container of apricot halves; small piece of ham, left from Easter dinner.

Dinner: Polish kielbasa; vegetable medley; sliced potatoes; pear slices with cinnamon (1/4 plate for each item)

Exercise: calisthenics, 10 min.; 7700 steps on the counter.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Breakfast: two eggs with bacon bits; cranberry 100% juice; English muffin with Earth Balance spread

Lunch at work: green beans; mandarin oranges; leftover Polish sausage from last night

Dinner: corn-potato mix; lamb chop with Italian tomatoes; beets

Exercise: brisk walk 30 minutes.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:54 am

Hey Jan, you are doing great. I am glad the job is getting better.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 am

I can see that Thursdays are going to be difficult for the next few months because of the job schedule.

Breakfast will be at about 7 am as usual. Lunch will have to be at about 10:30 am, which is much too early. Dinner will be about 4 pm, which leaves a long time to get hungry in the evening.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, bagel, juice

Lunch: Polish sausage and sauerkraut; fruit

Dinner: leftover ham and veggies; fruit salad; tortilla, which I will save for the evening when I get home from work.

We'll see how this goes.

Exercise: brisk walk to and from work, about 30 min. total. Also upper body strength with resistance tubing, and 10 min. calisthenics.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:11 pm

Jan, how's the new job going? And your Thursdays?

I'm thinking of you :)

Tiff
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:32 pm

Job is overwhelming right now. It is filled with tasks that I dislike (bookkeeping and computer work) while eliminating what I absolutely love (books and customer interactions).

Moral of the story: don't ever do anything just for the money unless it's absolutely necessary.

We'll see how long I last at this. Thanks for asking!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:59 am

Thursday: Ate my three meals, but I was starved by the time I got home from work, so I ended up eating peaches left from lunch, plus a glass of juice, and a bagel.

Next week, I'm going to do something different: won't eat breakfast so early, but will wait until about 10 am. Then I will have lunch at my break at work, which will be at 3 pm. Then I can come home and have a full dinner at 7:30 pm. That should do it, I think.

Live and learn!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:43 am

I need for today and Sunday to be my S-days this week. Husband and I are both off work/school together these two days and will be eating out and also eating a special breakfast. Tomorrow is a work day for me, so it's (no-s) business as usual.

Speaking of work, one of the perks of my promotion is that I now have a key to the little room with the fridge and microwave. No more cold lunches! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:15 pm

Friday:

Breakfast: homemade blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup; scrambled eggs; cranberry juice

Lunch: small potato; bread; pears with cinnamon

Dinner: fish, 2 veggies; club soda with lime (no sugar)

(My decision to make this an S-day was so I could make the nice breakfast for my husband and me. :D )

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:03 am

As planned, today was an n-day for me:

Breakfast: eggs, juice, bagel

Lunch: chicken with mushroom gravy, green beans, apricots

Dinner: franks and beans, potatoes with seasoned tomatoes, pears with cinnamon

Exercise: walked to work, very busy and active at the store today.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:34 pm

Breakfast: bacon omelet (bacon bits are so convenient!); cinnamon-raisin bagel with Earth Balance; unfiltered unsweetened apple juice (that stuff is so good, like a liquid apple!)

Lunch: trying a new restaurant at Union Station today. Had part of a goat cheese and sun-dried tomato pizza and some of their homemade bread. Brought lots of that good pizza home!

Dinner: Zatarain's Dirty Rice made with ground turkey; whole green beans; sliced peaches topped with raspberries

Exercise: day off from work, but I walked over there and back to tell my boss that I didn't like my new job and would please like to go back to being a cashier, where I can just deal with customer service and sales. He was so nice about it, and I start that tomorrow!!! That was the happiest exercise I ever did! :D Will walk some more today, going to and from the Metro, and then around Union Station.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:19 am

Monday

Breakfast: 2 egg omelet, cinnamon-raisin bagel, apple juice

Lunch: leftover goat cheese and sun-dried tomato pizza from yesterday's lunch; half a can of peaches

Dinner: pork chop with gravy and mushrooms; green beans; sliced buttered potatoes

Exercise: walk to work and back twice; calisthenics

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:39 am

Tuesday

Breakfast: eggs, peaches, bagel

Lunch: dirty rice with ground turkey; apricots

Dinner: baked chicken with green chilis; new potatoes; tropical fruit salad

Exercise: walk to work and back; walk to the Metro after work; walking around on the job.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:43 pm

Glad your job will go back to being something you enjoy...and that goat cheese pizza sounds delicious!!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:38 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast: eggs, cinnamon-raisin bagel, apple juice

Lunch at work: chicken and potatoes in green chile gravy in one container; fruit in another container, but I didn't eat most of it, so I am finishing it off tonight after dinner -- virtual lunching, I guess.

Dinner: lamb chop in seasoned tomatoes, potatoes, cauliflower

Exercise: walked to work and back, about 30 min. total. On my feet all day.

Someone brought in chocolate donuts for the cashiers today. When they offered me one/some, I told them all about No-S. They thought I made it up, and were surprised that it was a real thing. Can't wait for the book to come out so I can bring it to work with me!!!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:47 am

Thursday:

I worked 11 to 7, which cuts across 2 meals, but with only 1 meal break. I did pretty well, although I ended up having one snack, a buttered tortilla.

Exercise: walking to and from work.

Friday -- NWS Day:

Breakfast: homemade blueberry pancakes with maple syrup; cranberry juice

Lunch at Austin Grill in downtown DC: chips with guacamole; grilled veggie burrito; club soda with lime

Dinner: fish sticks, baked potato wedges, veggie

Exercise: walking around downtown DC, about 8000 steps; calisthenics, push-ups; crunches
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:52 am

Saturday, N-Day to make up for yesterday's NWS Day:

Breakfast: bacon bits omelet; cinnamon-raisin bagel; 100% cranberry juice

Lunch at work: container with green beans and a sweet Italian sausage; container of mixed fruits

Dinner: chicken and salsa; veggie; fruit

Exercise: brisk walk outdoors, 15 min., calisthenics set

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:23 am

Sunday

Breakfast: bagel, eggs with bacon bits, juice, maybe some oatmeal, too. It's going to be busy at work today...need to stoke up!

Lunch at work: container of vegetables with chicken and salsa; container of sliced peaches

Dinner: Cheesecake Factory, will update later

Exercise: walking outdoors and also around a big mall. Calisthenics this morning.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Monday

Breakfast: instant oatmeal, an egg, glass of juice

Lunch: meatloaf, mixed veggies, mashed potatoes, peaches

Afternoon snack at work: pear slices

Dinner: hot dogs, baked beans, veggie (no fruit)

Exercise: outdoor walking: 45 min.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:58 am

Gee, here it is Thursday already...

I have been working every day and not exercising, but except for one snack, everything has been on target. That snack was due to having lunch too early and too light, and dinner too late, and I was still hungry when I finished. So I ended up with a bagel.

Tomorrow I work 10 to 7, so that covers 2 meals. Lunch will be around noon, and dinner around 4, which means I'm going to be starved when I get home. I just don't know how to not-snack on days like this. I really and truly am hungry.

Also tough is that I am absolutely flattened by tree pollen allergy this week. Anyone who lives in DC knows whereof I speak. I have been living on cough drops, which are mostly sugar, but they are the only way I can deal with the customers. I'll be glad when this week is over!

Otherwise, everything's good! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:06 pm

Friday

Breakfast: couple of packets of instant oatmeal and a glass of apple juice

Lunch: will eat fish/veg/fruit in the cafeteria at work

Dinner, also at work: container of chicken, pasta, peas, and seasoned tomatoes; container of peaches

Also numerous cough drops to get through the day...

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:10 am

Saturday

Today we will have about 40 busses (2000 people) arriving where I work all at once. So breakfast will be heartier since I don't know when I will get to go to lunch, and I know dinner will be a little later than usual. I am so thankful to be back at my previous job!

Breakfast: 2 packets of instant oatmeal; 2 egg omelet; bagel; grapefruit juice

Lunch: container with a can of green beans and a chicken thigh, skin and fat removed; container with some assorted fruits (apricots, blueberries, pears; it was an interesting purple combo!)

Dinner: pork chop with mushroom gravy; potatoes; leftover vegetables; tropical fruit salad

Exercise: walked to work

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:18 pm

Sunday

2 days off in a row for me...hot diggity dog!

Breakfast, before Mass: pancakes with maple syrup; omelet; grapefruit juice

Lunch: peanut butter and raspberry preserves sandwich; dish of applesauce with lots of cinnamon :)

Snack: cinnamon-raisin bagel

Dinner: baked whiting, seasoned with Mrs. Dash; green peas with browned potatoes; mandarin oranges and pineapple

Exercise: walked to Church and back, then went out for another walk after dinner.......about 60 min. total for the day.

Discovered Claritin for the allergies, thanks to my kids, who always seem more on top of what's new in the world than I ever am. Feeling much much better now. :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:29 am

Monday

Got called in to work for this afternoon and evening ( :D ).

Breakfast: 1 over-easy egg with bacon bits; 1 packet instant oatmeal; glass of juice

Lunch: not sure yet! What's in the fridge???

Dinner @ work: container with green beans and kielbasa; container sliced peaches

Exercise: it's gorgeous outside today! Will walk to work and back for sure.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue May 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Tuesday

Long shift at work today, so I will be eating two meals on the job.

Breakfast: omelet, bagel, apple juice

Lunch: company cafteteria, meat, veggie, fruit

Dinner: pbj sandwich (Mungo happy. Mungo get jelly.), fruit

Got my 10,000 steps yesterday, and am hoping for more of the same today.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat May 05, 2007 10:00 am

TODAY IS MY 2ND ANNIVERSARY ON NO-S!

And it's an S-Day, too!

Husband is taking me to Annapolis today where we will do the walking tour of the downtown area, and then to the Naval Academy where we will do a walking tour of that, too. I fully expect to pass my 10,000 steps and have some fun with Urban Rangering in a new locale.

Thanks, Reinhard, for everything you do with No-S, and thanks, too, to everyone on the board for all your friendly support. :D

Update: 13,500 steps!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun May 06, 2007 7:44 pm

Had a wonderful S-Day today. Went to Mass at the Franciscan Monastery and then walked around their beautiful grounds. The roses are just beginning to bloom so will probably go back in a couple of weeks to see the magnificence of it all. Then we went to Silver Spring, MD on the Metro and had lunch at McGinty's Public House. Had a terrific Grilled Portobello sandwich and apple slaw. Walked around some more. Relaxed at Borders where I read most of Jorge Cruise's "3 Hour Diet" and wishing I had some No-S business cards with me. Funny thing is that I've been eating no-s all day and have no desire for any treats.

Over 11,250 steps today + calisthenics.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 07, 2007 11:03 pm

Monday:

Breakfast: egg, orange juice, bagel

Lunch at work: container of Polish sausage and peas; container of tropical fruit salad and mandarin oranges

Dinner: sloppy joe, no bun; potato/corn mix; applesauce with strawberries

Exercise: lots of walking outdoors plus 8 hours of running like crazy around the store, for a total of 10,000 steps.

Can't hardly wait for tomorrow! It's a big day!

Wanna know what's happening????????????????????????????
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Fri May 11, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue May 08, 2007 10:28 am

This is the day I've been waiting for..........Weird Al concert tonight! :D

Breakfast as usual. Lunch in little containers at work. Dinner at a restaurant in Baltimore someplace.

Excitement!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 08, 2007 11:40 am

Hope you enjoyed it!!! So, does a Minnesotan enjoy being stuck in D.C.?! Sounds like you're doing great!
mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed May 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Tuesday

Food was on target, except for the Dr. Pepper with dinner. But I had already declared it an S-Day, so it was okay.

Wednesday

Breakfast at the hotel: bagel, apple

Lunch at home: peanut butter sandwich; tropical fruit salad

Dinner: baked beans and franks; veggie; fruit

The concert was magnificent! We were front and center about 2 feet from the stage, and got to see Al (again!) after the show. This will keep me smiling for quite a while! :D

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Wed May 09, 2007 6:24 pm

I'm glad to know I'm not the only Al fan around. I've never been to a concert, but I've got lots of his cassettes from the old days, as well as some of his new stuff. White n' Nerdy is so stinkin' funny!
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 09, 2007 7:43 pm

Congratulations on your second anniversary, Jan! Sorry I missed it by a few days.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu May 10, 2007 12:01 pm

Thursday

Breakfast: bagel, orange juice

Lunch: peanut butter and honey sandwich; cinnamon pears

Dinner: ground turkey patties with gravy; veggie; fruit

Exercise: calisthenics, 10 min.; Shovelglove, 4 min.; 11,000 steps

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 11, 2007 11:05 am

Friday

Long day at work today; cuts through two mealtimes.

Breakfast: bagel and coffee and maybe some oatmeal

Lunch at work: container of potatoes and green beans in the juice of last night's stewed tomatoes; apple

Snack around normal dinnertime: banana, which will be deducted from dinner later on

Dinner at home: orzo with seasoned tomatoes and tuna; spinach

Snack before bed: guess I didn't eat enough for dinner, because I was really hungry about 9 pm. English muffin with Earth Balance spread.

Exercise: calisthenics, 10 min.; shovelglove, 4 min.; 10,300+ steps

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat May 12, 2007 10:51 am

Saturday = S-Day :D

My husband and I are going to the National Zoo today, so I shouldn't have any trouble getting my 10,000 steps! Will also eat at one of the restaurants in the neighborhood.

Update: 17,000 steps today!!!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 14, 2007 10:43 pm

Sunday: went to Annapolis today for Mass and to find the Mall to walk around. Got my 10,000 steps.

Monday:

Breakfast: oatmeal; apple

Lunch: pita spread with kalamata olive hummus and chopped tomato; banana

Dinner: green beans with stewed tomatoes; potatoes and mushrooms; pear half with raspberries

Very close to my 10,000 steps; guess I will have it by the time I go to bed.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed May 16, 2007 11:44 pm

Doing well on the food front. Got those 10,000 steps on Monday as planned, and yesterday as well. Only 6550 today.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue May 22, 2007 11:59 pm

I really hate it when I haven't been here for a while!

Tuesday

Breakfast: oatmeal, cinnamon-raisin bagel, grape juice

Lunch: couscous with mushroom gravy and more mushrooms; apricots; tortilla

Afternoon snack, deducted from dinner: banana

Dinner (late): noodle-red bean-corn casserole; sweet & sour red cabbage; tomato slices (no fruit)

Exercise: chi kung and calisthenics this morning; 7500 steps through the day

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed May 23, 2007 4:25 am

You always have great menus, do you cook a lot at home?
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed May 23, 2007 11:18 am

I used to cook everything from scratch, and loved it, but now the kids are grown and gone, and I am usually working when dinner rolls around. My husband is doing all the cooking these days! Isn't he terrific?

August, 2008...out of DC and back to MN...back to the kitchen!! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed May 23, 2007 1:31 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast: cinnamon-raisin bagel; small dish of raspberries and mandarin oranges

Lunch (Olive Garden): minestrone soup; salad; breadstick

Afternoon snack: banana (fruit deducted from dinner). With lunch at 11 and dinner after 7, I really need something to keep me going!

Dinner: sweet & sour red cabbage; red beans; 1/2 a baked potato topped with stewed tomatoes; veggie mix. (small portions; tried to save space on the plate for the banana)

Exercise: started the day off right with 14 minutes of Shovelglove. 9000 steps on the counter.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu May 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Thursday

Breakfast: cinnamon-raisin bagel, small dish of pear & raspberries

Lunch: green beans; banana; tortilla

Snack:: bagel. Definitely did not eat enough this morning and starving at work. :(

Dinner: sweet potato mashed with pineapple juice; cauliflower; last of the red cabbage; apricots

Exercise: calisthenics; steps today: 10,000 by bedtime :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 25, 2007 11:02 am

My husband and I are off to Mt. Airy, NC, today, for three glorious days in Mayberry. http://www.visitmayberry.com/

See y'all later...happy S-Days to everyone!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 25, 2007 11:45 am

Enjoy yourself and have a great time! Mayberry is awesome! We were there a few years ago and loved it! We all love ol' Andy and Barney, don't we! See you back next week, Jan!
mimi

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun May 27, 2007 10:23 pm

Back from Mayberry! What a terrific place to visit!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 28, 2007 10:38 am

Monday

Back to work to rest up from our little vacation...

Breakfast: oatmeal, bagel, tea

Lunch: tropical fruit; green beans; tortilla

Dinner: sloppy joes made with Manwich sauce and lentils;, veggie; fruit

Exercise: 9300 steps

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed May 30, 2007 12:05 am

Tuesday

Breakfast: oatmeal and a bagel

Lunch: green beans, a tortilla, tropical fruit, and a banana

Dinner: black bean burrito, corn with potatoes and salsa, beet and broccoli salad, orange slices with raspberries

Exercise: 10,600 steps

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed May 30, 2007 3:10 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast: oatmeal and a bagel

Lunch: banana, leftover veggies and beans

Dinner: cornbread, split, with chili beans on top; broccoli-corn mix

Exercise: steps, about 8000

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu May 31, 2007 11:09 am

Thursday

Breakfast: oatmeal and a bagel and a dish of red grapes and raspberries

Lunch: leftovers from last night's dinner

Dinner: husband's school dept. is having a BBQ to kick off the summer session.

Exercise: shovelglove, 14 min. Not counting steps today.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Friday

Breakfast: oatmeal; banana bread; apple juice

Lunch: black bean burger with salsa; a tortilla; green beans; half an apple

Dinner: spaghetti with Italian-seasoned tomatoes; chilled beets; green beans; garlic bread; applesauce. FAILURE: definitely more than one plateful! :(

Exercise: Shovelglove, 14 min.; 10,000 steps

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:29 pm

Saturday

Breakfast: pancakes with maple syrup; bagel earlier

Lunch: black bean burrito; rice; guacamole salad

Snack: half an apple

Dinner: sweet potato; chilled beets; corn

Snack: English muffin with no-sugar jelly

Exercise: calisthenics; steps, 7500.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:09 am

Sunday

Breakfast: oatmeal; banana bread; grapefruit juice

Lunch at work: container of spaghetti with Italian-seasoned tomatoes; container of green beans; container of fresh mango slices

Dinner: tba

Exercise: calisthenics and shovelglove, 15 min., total; steps, 6000

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:17 pm

Monday

Shovelglove went well this morning. I don't seem to be having the same problem with my fingers as I did for a while there, so I have been able to pick up my sledge again. That's gotta be one of the best exercises ever invented! :D

Steps today: 11,000!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:14 am

Tuesday

Breakfast: oatmeal, bagel, cranberry juice

Lunch at work: tabouli salad; green beans with onion gravy; mandarin oranges

Afternoon snack at work: apple (deducted from fruit at dinner)

Dinner: refried beans; rice with stewed tomatoes; chilled sweet & sour cabbage; corn

Exercise: Shovelglove, 14 min., calisthenics, 10 min., hit my 10,000 steps. :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:30 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast: oatmeal; bagel; cranberry juice

Lunch: all the leftover dinner stuff in the fridge (beans, veggies, fruit, tortilla)

Dinner: tabouli; baked beans; corn & green beans; orange slices with strawberries

Exercise: calisthenics, 10 min., steps, 7800 :(

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:27 pm

Thursday

Breakfast: oatmeal; bagel

Lunch: tabouli; green beans with onion gravy; peaches; dinner roll

Dinner: pasta with peas and seasoned tomatoes; broccoli; garlic toast; applesauce

Exercise: steps, 12,000 :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:21 pm

Friday

Breakfast: oatmeal; English muffin; cranberry juice

Lunch: mashed sweet potato; apple & orange slices

Afternoon snack: banana

Dinner: casserole of noodles, red beans, corn, peas, and tomatoes; tropical fruit

Exercise: calisthenics; steps, 10,000

On days when I work 10 to 7, I have just accepted that I need to eat in the early evening, otherwise it's really too difficult to continue working until dinner.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:35 am

Saturday

Happy S Day everyone!

Exercise: rest day from just about everything today. Steps = 3500.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:32 pm

Sunday

Steps: about 6,000

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:57 pm

Monday

Breakfast: oatmeal; bagel

Lunch: 2 homemade tortillas; refried beans with salsa; leftover veggies

Dinner: Hoppin' John salad; cornbread; fruit

Exercise: calisthenics; steps = 6500

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Tuesday

Lunch: sweet potato; green beans; apple & orange chunks

Snack, borrowed from dinner: banana

Dinner: black bean burgers; veggie

Exercise: calisthenics; steps tba

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:06 pm

Tuesday

Lunch: sweet potato; green beans; apple & orange chunks

Dinner: black bean burgers; potatoes with mushroom gravy; veggie

Exercise: calisthenics; steps = 10,000

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast: juice and a bagel (not nearly enough food)

Lunch: potatoes and mushroom gravy; green beans; cornbread

Dinner: Austin Grill -- grilled veggie tacos; rice; too many chips and guacamole (bad Jan, shouldn't have done that :( )

Exercise: crash! flash! stormy day today! Guess I will have to work out indoors. Shovelglove, 14 min.; steps = 10,000 (weather cleared up :D )

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:37 am

Thursday

Breakfast: Bob's Red Mill musli with apple juice; cinnamon-raisin bagel

Lunch: sweet potato; refried beans with salsa; pear halves

Dinner: black bean and rice salad; bread; mixed fruits

Exercise: calisthenics; 13,600 steps :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:55 am

Friday

Breakfast: Scottish oatmeal; bagel; tea

Lunch: sweet potato; green beans; tropical fruit mix

Dinner: red beans & rice; mixed veggies; apricots; tomatoes & green olives

Exercise: steps = 8600

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:30 am

Saturday Happy S-Days!!!

4000 steps (rest day :D )

Sunday

Exercise: Eight Piece Brocade chi kung, at 4 in the morning because I couldn't sleep; calisthenics before work; steps = 10,650 :D
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:00 am

Jan - what is Scottish oatmeal, if you don't mind? Sounds good!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:32 am

I bought it at Whole Foods. It is chunkier and chewier than what we normally get from Quaker Oats.

In an oatmeal continuum:

instant - -> quick - - > old fashioned - - > Irish or Scottish porridge-style

very satisfying to eat!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:33 pm

Monday

Breakfast: an egg, lightly cooked in a little olive oil; bowl of Scottish-style oatmeal, with a few raisins and chopped walnuts

Lunch: half a sweet potato; piece of chicken

Dinner: spaghetti topped with a sauce of seasoned crushed tomatoes and ground turkey; cauliflower; banana (left an empty spot on my plate so I could have this later)

Exercise: steps = 12,500
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Hey Jammin Jan!
Looks like you are doing well foodwise these days!
How's the fam??
Hope you are well ya little stepper :D
Hee..
Peace and Love,
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:46 pm

Tuesday

Breakfast: muesli, soaked in apple juice; eggs

Lunch: half a sweet potato; green beans; piece of chicken; small can V-8 juice

Long shift/late dinner Snack: banana

Dinner: lamb chop; peas; little boiled potatoes; half an orange with a few blueberries

Exercise: steps = 8800

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:02 am

Friday

Breakfast: muesli soaked in apple juice; eggs

Lunch: piece of chicken; peas; banana; V-8 juice

Dinner: ground turkey Manwich over half a baked potato; green beans

Exercise: 11,000 steps :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:11 pm

Thursday

Breakfast: muesli with apple juice; eggs

Lunch: green beans; cauliflower; piece of chicken; little V-8

Dinner: guacamole tacos; black beans; rice (and I didn't have even one of the corn chips on the table!)

Exercise: 14,000 steps :D :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:53 pm

Friday

Breakfast: muesli with apple juice; eggs

Lunch: ground turkey in Manwich sauce; mashed sweet potato; orange; V-8 juice

Dinner: black bean burgers; potatoes; corn with tomatoes

Steps: 7000

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:46 pm

Questions:
Did you have weight to lose when you first started nos? Have you lost any weight with this program or have you just been maintaining? You are no longer strictly vegetarian?

joanna
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:06 pm

A severe case of middle-age chicken pox impaired my ability to digest starchy foods. It has improved over time but still remains a problem. I left the McDougall Program for this reason and joined No-S. I have mostly been maintaining a comfortable weight. My BMI number is 20, which is very satisfactory. Whether or not I am vegetarian depends on when you ask...sometimes yes, sometimes no. My daily check-in thread pretty well charts my struggle in this regard. My head and my heart prefer vegan, but the colon often demands an animal protein to facilitate digestion of the starches. I keep trying, however. My last attempt lasted from Mother's Day to Father's Day; maybe the next attempt will be permanent. Ever hopeful!

PS. Mere maintenance is a lot to ask of any dietary program, and I am very pleased with No-S!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:04 am

Saturday

Dinner came with potato chips, and YES! you can eat just one, which is what I did! :D

Steps: 4200 (rest day)

Sunday

Steps: 6000

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:09 am

Monday

Breakfast: Scottish-style oatmeal; eggs

Lunch: bunch of leftover stuff from the fridge

Dinner: kielbasa; sauerkraut; little potatoes; veggie

Steps: nearly 11,000 right now; will update later. :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:02 am

Tuesday

Breakfast: hot cooked muesli; omelette

Afternoon: can of sweetened iced tea (why'd I drink that stuff? Way too sweet. :? )

Dinner: pork chop with tomatoes; rice, peas, & corn mix; chilled marinated salad veggies; pineapple

Steps: 10,000 :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:15 am

Wednesday

I surely do wish I hadn't caved and had that sugary iced tea yesterday. I don't do much sugar these days, just a little maple syrup on my Saturday morning pancakes, and I can really feel it in my innerds. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Breakfast: porridge-style oats with raisins and walnuts; juice

Lunch: leftovers from last night's dinner plus a little dish of mandarin oranges

Dinner: Went to Macaroni Grill -- dangerous place! Ate some of the bread dipped in olive oil before dinner arrived. Ordered the "build your own pasta" dish with whole wheat penne, meat sauce, aritichokes, black olives and pine nuts, and brought half of that home. Ate another piece of bread after finishing with my dinner. I don't feel over-full, although I'm not sure that it would've all fit on a dinner plate.

Exercise: Got called in to work at the last minute, so only got to walk to work and then walk around at the shop, and later going out to eat.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:50 am

Thursday

Breakfast: oatmeal with raisins and walnuts; juice

Dinner: turkey patties with mushroom gravy; rice pilaf; spinach

Exercise: 10,300 steps :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 am

Friday

Breakfast: eggs; cinnamon-raisin bagel; apple juice

Lunch: eating in the cafeteria at work, fried flounder, mixed veggies, banana, little can of V-8 juice

Dinner: scrambled eggs with onions; peas; black beans & rice; apples & cherries (yes, it all fit on one plate!)

Steps: 7000

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:36 am

Saturday

9100 steps.

In the month of June, I counted 257,950 steps :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:03 pm

Sunday

9000 steps

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 am

Monday

Breakfast: oatmeal with walnuts and raisins; orange juice

Lunch: buttered tortilla; green beans; tropical fruit salad

Dinner: Italian sausage; asparagus; little browned potatoes

Steps: 13,000 :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:06 am

Tuesday

Breakfast: oatmeal with raisins and walnuts; orange juice

Lunch: half a sweet potato; small piece of ham; small can of mandarin oranges

Dinner: lamb chop; couscous with Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes; cauliflower

Exercise: 12,000 :D My schedule at work this month has a lot of really short shifts, so I will have plenty of time to walk in July. By the end of the month, I should be broke, but with lots of steps!

The longer I stay with No-S, the more I like it. I'm just so eager for the book to come out!!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:39 am

Wednesday

Breakfast: oatmeal with raisins and walnuts; eggs

Lunch: container with couscous, Italian sausage, and tomatoes; little container of orange slices

Dinner: Independence Day feast at Famous Daves: BBQ chicken; cole slaw; potato salad. All on one plate!

Steps: 8600

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO ALL IN THE US!!!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:32 am

Thursday

Breakfast: eggs; oatmeal with raisins and walnuts; grapefruit juice

Lunch: piece of chicken; cauliflower; half a sweet potato; apple salad

Dinner: pork chop; potatoes; corn; mixed fruit

Steps: 6700 :(

Washington DC was a very noisy place on the 4th! But the Twilight Zone marathon on Sci-Fi was fun!

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:01 pm

You are so right about Macaroni Grill. That bread and olive oil is bad news!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:50 pm

Friday - Saturday - Sunday

Friday was a strange food day, and I think I ended up with three S-days instead of two. On the other hand, I didn't take an S-day on the Fourth of July, so I guess it all evens out. Back to business tomorrow!

Have been very active these three days, but only counted up about 17,000 steps total.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:51 am

Monday

Hot Hot Hot. Supposed to be 100 F. today.

Breakfast: oatmeal with walnuts and raisins; egg; juice

Lunch: shredded bbq chicken over potatoes; corn

Dinner: tba

Exercise: 10,000 steps

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:10 am

Tuesday

8500 steps

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:39 am

Wednesday

Breakfast: eggs; oatmeal

Lunch: little containers of tabouli; chicken; mixed fruit

Dinner: ground turkey patties and browned potatoes with mushroom gravy; steamed green beans & almonds

Exercise: Shovelglove; calisthenics; steps = 7,000

Began using HabitCal today, for No-S and Shovelglove. This is a great tool!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:13 pm

Thursday

Breakfast: oatmeal; eggs; juice

Lunch: plate of "clean out the fridge" foods

Dinner: spaghetti with meat sauce; cucumber slices; spinach

Exercise: calisthenics; Shovelglove; steps 6500

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:39 pm

Friday

Breakfast: eggs, oatmeal, juice

Lunch: leftovers from dinner last night

Dinner: (Updating this on Saturday) We went to On the Border and I DID NOT TOUCH THE CHIPS IN THE BASKET ON THE TABLE!!!! Ordered a "build-it-yourself" burrito, and the dinner came all on one reasonable plate. I ate, but did not over-eat. Club soda with lemon and lime slices with the meal.

Exercise: We were out yesterday so we could go see Camelot at Wolf Trap. Silly me....theater on Friday night...I got all dressed up, only to discover Wolf Trap is a National Park, and everyone was in tank tops, shorts, and flip flops. There I was in slinky basic black and pearls! And dress shoes! No place to put my step counter on that outfit, so I don't have a count for yesterday. My guess would be about 8,000 for the day, plus stretch and calisthenics beforehand. We are going again next Friday, to hear James Galway, and I am going to wear jeans!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Saturday and Sunday

Happy S-Days, y'all! :D

I am down a couple of pounds, mostly from sticking strictly with vanilla no-s, I think.

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:21 pm

YOur success is remarkable. You do seem to have very healthy meals, not too much junk at all.