cvmom's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:58 pm

I found it. It was called "Harvey's Hideout". It is about a brother and sister muskrat who are having rivalry issues. (Now I know why I liked it so much. LOL) I ordered a copy. Funnily enough the site said: People who ordered this book also bought: Bread and Jam for Frances! And Miss Suzy. (another of my favorites) and a few more Frances books.

Okay. Mystery solved :!:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:19 pm

Aren't we all a bunch of literary muthers!!!!
:wink:
Thanks for solving the mystery inspector Dru!
Love and Muskrats!
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:25 am

Tonight is Friday and it is always my toughest time. Just wanted to "share" that with you all. A friend just dropped off homemade pumpkin bread and it is staring me in the face. Bet you didn't know that pumpkin bread has eyes and a voice. "Come to me...." it sings.

But, I'll have it tommorrow. Just writing that down has strengthened my resolve.

Dru

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:51 pm

Ah, the ubiquitous pumpkin bread...yu-um.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:51 pm

Quick Musings:

Today is day 51 of No S. I realized that I have not been writing down what I eat anymore because I no longer have the need. I am feeling very empowered by this process and hopeful that I have found actual balance regarding eating. That was all I was looking for: balance. No manic diets.

I will be signing off for a few weeks as we are going on a family holiday. I am not worried that I will fall off the No S wagon because the guidelines are so simple that it should be fail safe. I'll let you all know when I return.

Thanks again, Reinhard. You are the Man.

Love,
Dru

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:11 pm

Have a great trip Dru!! Way to go on the long streak of successful NoSing! Sounds like you have the habit down pat.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:41 pm

Hey Dru!!! If Kevin could go away to a theme park vacation, with several extra S days included, and come back weighing less, I'm sure you will be able to as well!
NoS seems to be vacation friendly....
Have a great time! :D
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:47 pm

Hey Gang!

I am back from vacation and just wanting to check in. I stuck to the rules throughout the time we were gone. My birthday fell on an S day so that was convenient. No weigh in yet, but I suspect that I've lost because my clothes are looser.

Have a great day.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:23 pm

Great Job Dru!!!!!
Happy Birthday babe!!!!Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:32 pm

Happy Birthday, Dru! And congratulations on sticking to program rules!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:43 pm

Welcome back, Dru, happy birthday and congrats on the loose clothing...maybe you will join the pants-falling-down club...;)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:39 am

Hi Girls.

Thanks for the good wishes. I had a loverly birthday on Victoria Island in B.C. There is a chocolate shop there called Roger's and I took advantage of that.

Jan: I have been thinking about what you said regarding exercise. I do need to exercise more often. My problem is that I start off with a bang and then fizzle out. ("I've got to walk for an hour, every day, lift weights 3 times per week, etc") The boys start school on the 23rd so I am going to do a day by day exercise check-in. Amazingly the food thing seems to have become a habit. Also, hubby gave me an IPod so I truly have no excuse.

Mandy: I look forward to the pants falling down club. Right now I'm just happy that my face doesn't look fat anymore. Yeeeeeeha.

Have a great weekend. D.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:16 am

Nothing too interesting to report. I have been faithfully sticking to the rules. Managed to dodge a bit of stress eating today. (See post in Freakwitch - sorry FW for giving you my rants). I have insomnia tonight so I'm not thinking straight.

D.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:35 am

hope you eventually got to sleep. Not sleeping right is miserable, however caused!

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:54 am

Yeah rants!!!!!!!!
Boo insomnia!!!!!!

Yay Dru!!!!!!
(sorry about your school stress today... want me to kick their ass for you????? I'll bloody well do it!!!!!!)

Enjoy your day and try to do your Yoga shoulder stands in the afternoon..This will probably help you sleep better later on...
Hugs!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:47 am

Oh, Dru, sorry about the insomnia. I can relate. Boo. :( Hope it doesn't last.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:31 pm

Thanks guys for the empathy. The insomnia was probably due to my anger. Either I don't get angry very much or I'm not used to feeling it. (Old me would have crunched M and M's :twisted: )

Is anyone else looking forward to the weekend? We have dinner plans on Saturday so that will be fun.

Alright. Time for that afternoon cup of coffee.

XXOO Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:44 pm

Hello Gang.

Just realized that I haven't checked on my "check in" for awhile. I am very happy to report the number on my scale this morning was something I haven't seen in over a year!!! Thanks Reinhard.

I am adjusting to the early morning schedule with the kids. We have to be out the door by 7:10. Yuck. Because I've been eating early I am really hungry by noon. Then I'm really really hungry by 5pm. Last night we ate early and then I was hungry at night which is unusual.

So, I guess my body will adjust to this schedule on many levels. I will be reporting my Fitness club stats beginning Monday. (Youngest doesn't start the NEW school until Monday.)

I have been enjoying everyone's posts and want to welcome all the lurkers and new people. No S is the rockin way to feeling good.

:D Dru

Kevin

Good to go!

Post by Kevin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:00 pm

I have the same early morning issue. I toast something, bring it with me, and eat it at a more civilized hour. Otherwise, by Noon, I'm famished.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:01 pm

Great news about your year-in the-making surprise!!!!
Congrats Drusky!!!!
Hugs!!!!
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:43 pm

Hi All:

Today I am starting to count my exercise. For a variety of reasons (excuses) I haven't done much over the summer. So, today being Deb's One Year Anniversary of No S (Mega Congrats Deb for your achievement) it seems like a good day to start. My goal is to break a sweat at lease 6 days a week.

Day 1: One hour hike. About 40 minutes of it was uphill so there was definitely sweat happening.

Kevin: Thanks for the info about early morning eating. I think I may have to utilize some virtual plate skills too.

D.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:55 pm

That's a great goal Dru!!!!
Thanks again for the great congrats! I am pretty thrilled about it all!
I am also pleased to somehow, indirectly, spark your fire to
"heat up" and break into a sweat!!!
That is always a great feeling!!!
I have been quite the sloth myself for the past few days, but I am still trying to do *something* at least 4 days a week if not 5...

Hey in the past, for me, breaking into a sweat was only done by means of eating lethally hot buffalo chicken wings!
I say something is always better than nothing!
Hiking sounds awesome! You can post on Urban Ranger.. :D
Have a great afternoon!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:28 pm

Day 2 of Sweat: Success :D

45 minutes on the elliptical machine and 15 minutes of yoga stretch.

Breakfast was at 6:30 am, Lunch at 11:15 am. It is 3:30 pm PST and I am starving....but I can hold out for another hour or two. I'm still adjusting to this early morning routine. :lol:

Dru

P.S. Deb, I like those buffalo wings too....

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:33 pm

Oy, Dru!!!! Six thirty breakfast????
Can't you just have a virtually plated breakfast somehow that won't be gone by 10?
I would suggest a fruit or a glass of juice to get the motors running when you wake up, and then see if you can take some kind of portable breakfast wherever you are going to eat at a more humane time, like 8 or 9...

Good luck and congrats on your great workout today and
YOGA!!!!
Remember your Oujai breathing!!!
The back of your throat, like snoring sounds, or the sound of the ocean!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Oh, I just finished my first attempt at Transcendental Meditation...
Went out to my backyard... Sat comfortably while dinner was cooking in the oven and you wouldn't believe how fast 40 minutes breezed by!!!
It was great....

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:51 am

Deb:

I think virtual plating is going to have to be the way. I confess that I'm a bit nervous about doing that since I don't want to get into *grey* territory. But, I like the idea of a serving of fruit.

I'm glad the meditation was good. I am assuming you were home alone. My children would be a complete audible distraction if I tried to do that with them around. :lol:

Have a great night. Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:08 am

No I wasn't home alone... I had just popped dinner into the oven and Richie was glued to his computer games!!! :lol:
He was inside, I was about fifty feet removed and outside :)
Virtual plating isn't really a grey zone, as long as you really don't fool yourself by having a giant portion of "whatever" and it could technically fit on one *normal* plate...
This is an "on the go" society, and NoS must be somewhat adaptable to that fact...
I am sure Reinhard would agree...
Have a lovely evening!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:56 am

Dru, I like your approach of adding in "sweat" this round! Sounds like you are off to a running start ... so to speak!
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:01 am

Awesome exercise effort, Dru. I think you will get beautiful results with the cardio/yoga combo--definitely keep up with some sort of strength/stretching stuff (and 45 minutes on the ellip is no joke!!). Awesome job!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:33 pm

Sweat Day 3 - Success :D

I did an hour and twenty minute hike on the headlands of our local beach. Although there aren't too many uphill butt blasters on the trail I was constantly dodging tree roots, railroad ties, sand, rocks and the water. So it was almost an obstacle course.

Everything was so peaceful. The water was about 4 different colors. It made me feel sad to think that so many people are suffering right now...
D.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:40 pm

You are special Dru!!!
Glad you had a special walk by the ocean :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:10 pm

Day 4 of Sweat: (I don't know what else to call it. I don't like the E word ) Success :D

I went to the club and did 40 minutes on the Lifecycle. I don't usually do the Lifecycle but my feet were tired from all my Non-Urban Rangering. It wasn't too bad. I had the IPod so that made it go quickly. According to the Lifecycle I went, like 15 miles. I should just put my kids in a Rickshaw and take them to school that way...

D.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:19 pm

Yeah and as background exercise music you could play "Tokyo Taxi"...
Do you know that one?
LOL...

Oh here's some alternative words which may not cause that knee jerk association, to the "E" word...

Jan's, "Movin"
"Shakin and Bakin"
"Rockin"
"Groovin"

Get down CV!!!!
8) Deb

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:18 pm

Kevin, I have a great steel cut oatmeal recipe. 1 T butter in a pan, stir in 1 cup steel cut oatmeal, add 3 cups hot water - simmer for 25 minutes. Add 3/4 vanilla soy milk cook for another 10 minutes. Add fruit -excellent.

Sorry to kidnap your site CMmom

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:21 pm

Okay I just figured out something else about this site. I only read your first page and posted not realizing you are on page 6. So Kevin, you have a recipe that you probably don't even need - I'm learning!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:56 pm

Day 5 of Moving was a success.
90 minute yoga class
I walked to and from the yoga class. It ended up being about 40 minutes of walking in total.

I am still tired from our new school schedule but I think that the exercise this week has helped me function better.

Peace to all and have a great weekend.
Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:20 am

Good job Dru!!!
Hope you enjoyed it!
Let me know...
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:38 am

Day 6 of Moving, Sweat, whatever - Technically a day off because my goal is to do something 6 days per week. But, I ended up swimming in the pool with the kids instead of just lying there reading a book. So I'd consider it a success.

Interesting too: I had a package of Reese's peanut butter cups. It came 2 to a cup. Of course I finished it but I felt really nauseated afterward. I know that my "mental" cravings have gone away, but I wonder if my body is more sensitive to sweets on a chemical level? Has anyone else experienced this?

Dru

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:46 am

*Definately*.

I had a single small chocolate muffin to celebrate my arrival into the 21 day club. It gave me a really amazing sugar rush... followed 2 hours or so later by a terrible CRASH. For the next couple of hours after that, I went back to being how I used to be, irritable, fidgety, unable to settle and concentrate. I hadn't realised until then that this was how I used to feel most of the time!

I genuinely feel so so much better without that much refined sugar rushing about inside me every day. Somehow on S days I get a little bit of the sugar rush, but because snacking is also allowed I'm able to head it off at the pass by eating something 'low GI' (such as a bowl of brown rice, some oatcakes or somesuch) an hour or so after I've eaten and enjoyed my sweets, so it's not as bad.

I couldn't ever give up the sweets entirely, but I definately don't need as many to be satisfied any more. I also am able to take notice of the effect that different foods have on me, because I'm not eating all the time. It's clear which foods are the culprit, cos mealtimes are discrete events taht are spaced out throughout the day.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Oooh... Nausea???
Sorry about that... Was it before or after Yoga?
I know you said it was after the reeses cups, but were those after you had class?
I found the first few times I went to Yoga my body started to release some toxins and I felt a bit off for a few weeks physically.. I really believe it was all that moving around of all the stagnant energy and junk built up in my body... Also, when the liver and Gallbladder are working really hard, sometimes you will get nausea stuff happening...
As far as being more sensitive to sugar, it is over all, much easier to satisfy an urge for chocolate or stuff like that and stuff that just tastes plain old "sugary sweet" not bitter/burned sweet, like chocolate, really stands out these days.. At the concert last night I tried a vanilla cookie with vanilla creme filling (sort of like a white oreo)
I had one bite and my tastebuds were like
"Oh my God that's sweeeeeeeeet!!!! Get the insulin!!!!"
I am gravitating less and less to food which is only sugary as an overall flavor... Yes I still eat plenty of "borderline" stuff (though in much smaller amounts) But I'm really not into anything which is just straight sugar and nothing else... Sugar has become a "spice" so to speak, which in small amounts compliments other tastes... Just like Garlic or salt, I wouldn't want to eat it alone...
If I'm off about the Yoga, sorry, but I thought maybe theres a connection there... Other exercise never made that kind of impact on me...
Mentally cleansing too!!!
Need some soon!!
LOL.

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
PS... Reeses are a very fatty sweet as well... Maybe it's that heavy fat mixed together with the sweet which churned you up...

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:36 pm

Day 7 - Successfully Moving

45 minute walk around the hood. Lots of hills and warm weather.

I can't believe how fast the week went. Intentional exercise wasn't as grim as I thought it would be. Let's see how we do tommorrow.

Deb: I don't think the nausea was related to the yoga. Just the sugar hit. I haven't really had anything sweet today. No, wait I take that back: I did have some mini muffins at brunch. They were from a restaurant here that bakes everything from scratch. Divine.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:09 pm

The hard part is motivating yourself to start.
I always feel good once I'm into it...
Those endorphins will get you every time! :D
Keep it up!!!
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:03 am

Day 8 - Success

45 minutes on the Lifecycle.

Stuck to No S-ing too. All in all a good day. Dru

peetie

Post by peetie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Hi Dru,
I've been focusing on the eating part of the plan and just kind of hoping the exercise component would "go away"! I've been blaming my lack of moving this creaky old bod on the California summer heat, but you are in California and look at what you're doing!

Excuses, excuses. Time for me to start moving! Thanks for the inspiration.

Peetie

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:09 pm

Thanks Peetie for the encouragement.

I know in my mind that I "need" to exercise because it is good for my heart and mind etc. but I've never been one to just naturally jump up and want to go do something physical.

So by forcing myself to post here it has helped me be accountable. This morning I went on a 45 minute walk on one of the trails by my son's school. It is cold here at 8:00am - about 48 degrees. But I still broke a sweat so that is a good thing.

As far as my creaky bod, I too have minor aches in my hip and knee but I use Lance Armstrong as an inspiration. If he can train after everything he's been through then I can certainly move my rear. Also, I have two family members that are quadrapelegic so I don't take mobility for granted.

Continuing to No S. I can't believe how normal I feel. D.

Tonsha

Post by Tonsha » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:24 am

Keep moving Dru. And well done. 45 minute walks are nothing to be sneezed at (as I am learning myself). Every step makes a difference!

And I agree with Deb about those endorphins! Every time I exercise I take a few seconds and just close my eyes and enjoy the rush/satisfaction of actually completing a session. It makes starting tomorrow's exercise a little bit easier.

DaveA
"The best diet is the one you don’t know you’re on" - Brian Wansink

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:20 pm

Thanks Dave for the response. :D

Today was successful. But I didn't sweat. I tried out a class at the new club which was kind of like a ball/isometric class. Its pretty amazing what you can do on one of those balls. Next time I go to a class like that I will hop on the treadmill for 30 minutes prior just to get the heart pumping.

The eating was fine too. Not done yet. We are having dinner with my parents tonight at one of our local Italian restaurants. I can't wait because food always tastes better when I don't cook it. :wink:

Have a great night all. CVM.D.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:59 pm

Day ?? 8, 9. 10? Well it was a sucess!!!

40 minutes on the eliptical trainer and then 10 minutes of stretch.

Food is fine. I deviated from my normal yogurt fare and had eggs today. It is good to break out of the mold once in a while.

D.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:12 pm

Woo hoo!!!!!
Halfway there baby!!!

Keep going in Elipses!!! I like that thing.. it's boring but when you get into a groove, you can build up a nice sweat and your legs feel like spaghetti when you get off..... LOL..
Sometimes I just go really slowly without holding onto anything as an exercise in building stability and balance... I go slow and focus on the quality of each up and down stroke, and try to think of my allignment...
So many people get on these machines and just try to get up momentum through speed, but then they have awful form (believe me!!!) and are doing all kinds of stupid stuff like clenching the handlebars or slouching and looking down at their newspaper in the book tray that's attached in front...
It's like they're not even paying attention to their movements at all and are just tuning out to their bodies! LOL...
Have fun Dru!
Love,
Deb
When's Yoga again?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:13 pm

Dru,

I'm sorry it's been so long since I popped in here.

I'm happy you no longer have to write down everything you eat. That's huge.

I'm happy you've been seeing good numbers on the scale without obsessing over them.

I'm happy you're successfullly extending the "days on habit" structure to new habits.

Looking forward to all the good stuff I'll read next pop-in (soon!),

Reinhard

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:52 pm

Hello S Gang.

Well it has been a really good few days despite a bit of a cold.

I did "workout" stuff on Friday and then yesterday (Sat) went to San Franciso with a friend. Major Urban Rangering on those hills combined with high heels that landed me at the Ritz Carlton having High Tea. High Tea is perfect for S days because there are all these little sugary "things" that are to die for.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:54 pm

Oops hit "submit" instead of "preview"....see, I"m still on a sugar high.

Anyway, today was a day off from the old exercise but still nice.
I hope to be back up to speed tommorrow.

D.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:07 pm

The exercise has jumpstarted my metabolism. I am getting a waist again.

The food is under control. I had a late breakfast yesterday and then skipped our family dinner and had cereal for dinner later. It was kind of fun to eat cereal at night.

D.

PS. For those who think soggy cereal is gross do what I do: eat it with yogurt.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:47 pm

Enjoy your new found waist! I am delighted for you. :P
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:10 pm

Yay Dru!!!!!!!!!
I'm sqeezing that waist now!
"Squeeeeeze!"
Wow what a difference!!!!! :lol:
You go girl....
Exercise rocks!
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:21 pm

Just an update: I have been doing the working out a little less intensely this week due to a cold.

Today I am feeling better and did 30 minutes on the elliptical machine and then a circuit training class which lasts about an hour. I have had very high energy ever since!!!

The eating is good. I am making cookies tonight so I"ll have climb the Friday night mountain of willpower. But, tommorrow I can have one in the morning if I really want one.

D.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:42 pm

Okay:

Big Time Progress,

I just sat down with my morning coffee and two chocolate chip cookies that I baked last night.

As I was finishing the first cookie my mouth was almost puckering from the sweetness.

I put the second cookie back!!!! I don't want it.

This is major because I used to have the nickname Cookie Monster :!:

I always said that I never met a cookie I didn't like. (Kind of like the way Peetie is with cake), but man, I put down the second cookie. I can't over eat them anymore. I think I"ll need to have a real breakfast in a little while once the naseau subsides...

Dru

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:49 pm

Dru, I am SO impressed! We really can condition our taste preferences afterall. How long have you been walking the NoS path? It sounds like you are now a naturally healthy eater. No force....no deprivation....but CHOICE and the right ones at that most of the time.

My S day has just begun, so time will tell if I have slayed the cake monster.

Peetie

p.s. Deb - The prune monster is alive and well!!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:51 pm

All hail the mighty Prune!
No one is strong enough to fight it! LOL...

Dru! Your passing up of the cookie is wonderful progress!!!!
You just felt satisfied with less. I bet you didn't even *try* to resist it...
The less we consume of sweets, it's really true, that the less we need of them to satisfy...
Nice news babe!
Berry berry nice!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:20 pm

Quick S Day update:

Last night we went to a housewarming. It was a catered affair and guess what they had: a chocolate fondue fountain!!!!! Perfect for an S day. You could dip strawberries, apricots, marshmallows or pretzels!!!!

And, the chocolate was good.

Had it not been an S day it would have been hard to resist. I think the S Gods blessed me for putting down the cookie. :lol:

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:29 pm

Yes they did!!!!
Good for you Dru! Enjoy, enjoy!
So glad you didn't have to resist... That sounded like a real treat!

Richard confessed that he had four ice cream bars over the course of the day yesterday! LOL.... He was at the park for about 7 hours, as all the soccer teams are playing on Saturdays... He played at 1:30 and was really good! Looks so healthy and slim out there now...
Originally he said he would get an ice cream and maybe some candy and a gatorade as his S's... The end of the day, he confesses to me...
"Mom, I ate, like, four ice creams today :) " To which I said "Oh my God" LOL... But he is being good during the week, so I'm letting him do what he wants... If he is experiencing a ice cream jones stage, I will just hope it cools off on it's own... He did run around like a complete idiot all day long though and probably burned off many of those calories...

Kids! :lol:

My S today was syrup on my french toast, and a little chocolate soymilk in the morning coffee.. I want to be like Jan!
I mean, not that I want to be 104 lbs, but she's slim for a reason.. It's not just good genes!
Jammin Jan! You are having an influence on me today!
I'm going out tonight, but if I have an S, it will probably just be a drink or a Cappucino... The taste of slimness is way more delicious...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:50 am

I did 45 minutes on the elliptical machine this morning. I have been dragging my feet all day. Very tired.

Ah well. I just have to get to bed at a decent hour tonight.

Deb, I am glad that Richard was truthful and owned up about the ice cream bars. I have caught my littlest one sneaking food into his room occassionally and I'm always like, "Hey, you don't have to hide it, just tell me. Or just ask". I don't want him to get into the nasty habit of hoarding food. (Like I used to do when I was a kid) I have had enough weirdness around food and I just hope that none of it has gotten passsed down. As I mentioned before he is a very picky eater. Oh well.

Good night all. D.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:00 pm

Hey Guys

50 minutes on the lifecycle. Very bad slice of quiche. (I'm getting picky about my food!!! :lol: )

Still haven't had dinner but I should be fine.

Hope everyone is well.

Dru

peetie

Post by peetie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:06 pm

Hi Dru - I know what you mean about not wanting to pass down the "sins of the mothers" to our kids. I knew I was too obsessed with weight and starving to be skinny when my daughter, at three years old, was eating some jello and said, "When I get done with this, I'm going on a diet." Gee.....I wonder where THAT came from!

Happily, she is now an adult and a much more normal eater than I ever was at her age. So, just a little effort to not pass on our obsessions can definitely pay off!

Peetie

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:06 am

Thanks for the encouragement Sweetie Peetie.

I'm sure he will be okay.

But, as you know, we mothers worry about all sorts of things. :oops:

For Cryin Out Loud this job description changes about every 6 months!!!!

D.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:30 am

Hi Dru! Wait till adolescence! LOL...
Hey Peetie! That was a very cute and funny story! LOL..
Hugs and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:45 pm

I remember as a kid 'sneaking' into the kitchen and 'stealing' a large piece of cake that was supposed to be for tea. Needless to say, when teatime came round and most of the cake was missing, I started to get quite worried.

"hey! Where did that cake go?" asked my mother
"um. Well..."
"did you eat it all?!"
"Will I get into trouble if I admit to stealing it...?" (right cheeky little sod, I was!)
"You might if you'd stolen it" my mother replied "but it's not possible to steal something that partly belongs to you anyway. You were just 'Guaranteeing your share', not stealing."

She then went on to explain that whilst this wasn't technically 'stealing', it was very greedy and unfair on the rest of my family. By the time she finished I felt heaps worse about it than I ever would have done if she hadn't been reasonable and calm about it!

....And of course I was a lot more careful after that about what I 'guaranteed my share' of, that's for sure!! :lol:
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:04 pm

Ah! Mother inflicted guilt!
Works like a charm??? :shock:

Stop talking about cake... It's not Saturday yet!
You are making me hungry!
LOL..
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:42 pm

My virtual plating skills were put to the test when I went to a Chili Cookoff last night.

But guys, I did well. I asked for small tastes and drank water. I had only ONE piece of cornbread.

And I ignored the table under the gazebo of (you guessed it!) cookies :!:

Still, my stomach feels queasy this morning. Probably all the combination of spices and meats.

I feel like that old guy in the Alka Seltzer commercial...

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:27 pm

Plop plop fizz fizz!!!
LOL..
Ooh I love chili!!!
But really good chili sure tests your mettle!!!
Have a nice day Drusky!!!
Love,
8) Deb

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:49 pm

Great job Dru, you are an inspiration to me! :D I guess you could call me a cake monster, any kind of cake. In fact I will have to show some true willpower tonight , as my husband made an upside down pineapple chesse cake. He was so sweet and asked if he could make it now, because he knows about what I'm doing with the No S thing. I told him go ahead, I'm sure I will be in all kinds of situations in my life time where I will have to resist some kind of temptation until an S day. Besides that piece of cake will taste even better come Saturday.

Keep up the great job, Dru!

CarrieAnn

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:51 pm

If you like cake you need to talk to Peetie. She is the cake girl!!! :lol:

I just read your message about your son and the guys in LA. I too will keep them in my prayers.

I did no exercise today. There is a lot going on with our home buying, selling, inspections yada yada. But I intend to go work out first thing tommorrow.

Hope everyone has a good night.

Dru

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:22 pm

Thank you Dru, you are a true Sweetie!
Have a great S weekend!

Hugs,
CarrieAnn :D

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:57 pm

Yes, CarrieAnn, as Dru duly noted, I am a cake afficionado. But guess what? Since doing NoS I can have one piece and be perfectly satisfied. It definitely helps to have it as dessert when I am already almost full. It's a lot harder to do this if my hunger meter is on 0 when I have my piece of heaven.

Right now I have a full 1/4 of my freezer full with individually wrapped slices of Costco birthday cake. And on the week end I take one out to have with a meal. And it's enough. It's just amazing!!!

Peetie

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:56 pm

Well, I had a big S weekend. I ate way too much food. Yuck. :oops:

Peetie, we did this Fiesta at my son's school and they had an entire booth of cake slices. Every kind of cake you could imagine. I thought of you. :wink:

Because of all the food I was extremely tired all weekend. I just kept feeling like I needed to nap. Too much food equals no energy.

But, hey, today is Happy Monday and I'm delighted to report that I spent 45 minutes on the elliptical machine.

Worth noting is that in the past this S day would have been a normal day. How did I ever eat so much?

Three Cheers for Reinhard. Hip, Hip Hooray :!: :!:

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:07 pm

Hello to anyone who is interested.

This morning I did 45 minutes of treadmill on the "Alpine Trail" setting while listening to the Violent Femmes on the IPod. (Teen angst is very effective even if it is 20 years old).

Today, tommorrow and Friday I have luncheon dates. A good place to hone the No S skills that I preached to Aza about...

D.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:47 am

Dru
I hope your lunch dates went well and that you are still doing so marvellously well with your exercise.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:49 pm

Dru,

Sounds like the "sweat" S is going very well.

It's such a wonderful, surprising thing to catch yourself in new, good behaviors: no more cookie monster -- even in desire, being picky about not eating crap.

Congratulations!

Reinhard

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:23 pm

Thanks Guys.

I appreciate all the encouragement :!: :!: :!: :!:

Going to the final lunch today.

Life is just so much better when the food is under control.

I hope everyone enjoys their S days tommorrow.

Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:01 pm

Progress:

(The cool thing about this No S way of life is that I always learn!)

Sunday evenings have traditionally ended with my boys having a Drumstick for dessert. The Drumsticks come 4 to a pack and that works out well since there are four in our family.

Last night my husband asked if I would like my drumstick. I told him that I really only wanted the chocolate on the outside of the drumstick. So I had that and then gave it to him to finish. That mere fact that I can pass over the drumstick is progress. What's more, there is an extra drumstick in our freezer which will most likely be eaten by the boys tonight.

I guess the point is that just because it is an S day I don't have over eat my quota of sweets. (I'd already had a packet of M and M's earlier in the day).

So, while the learning curve has been slow, at least it is there.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:31 pm

We learn something new every day Dru, at least we hope to!
Good for you!
Slow and persistent is a really good combo.. It's hard to lose momentum when you are just going along at a comfy rate... You enjoy it, so the, danger of "burning out" and losing interest is much much less...
Nos is like one of those great big diesel locomotives... Very hard to stop and just keeps on a going...
It's also slow enough that your brain can process these "learning moments" when we make, or would have made a mistake, instead of losing that valuable lesson...
Well,
See you in NYC real soon!!!
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:32 pm

Deb,

Lovely to talk to you on the phone. You are just as fun and have a great voice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will see you in the City one of these days, but just not this week. :cry:

Hugs,
Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:34 pm

Hugs Drusky!!!
We will meet one day!!!
LOL..
I think it would be awesome to come out to your place!
Now that's gorgeous territory!

Keep up the good work packing CV Babe! :lol:
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:36 am

Thanks Deb. You know you are always invited!!!

When are we gonna have our S Conference, Reinhard?? Perhaps during the launching of your book.

Just a sidebar: today I went to a clothing store and tried on a blouse. I grabbed a Large and when I walked out the saleslady said, "Why do you have that on, let me get you a Small". I'm thinking to myself...well, maybe a Medium but I won't fit into a small. Guess what size I ended up buying: A Small.

I love No S and I love the world right now :!: :!: :!: :!:

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:06 am

Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we love you!!!!

That's a big side note!
Yay Dru!!!!!!!!

Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:16 pm

I don't know if any of you feel the same way I do about exercise but I've noticed that if it's not one of the first things I get done in the day I have to drag myself to it.

I got on the Lifecycle begrudingly and went for 40 minutes. That was at 9:30 am. I think I would have done better had I gone at 8:30...oh well, at least I accomplished it. :D

The scattered energy of my impending move has made me sleepy. The only thing that is holding my sanity in check is doing my No S food plan and working out. (Hey, I only yelled at my family once this weekend!!!) Then I raced to the market and when I came home the house was miraculously tidier...

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi Dru!
Impending move, where to? I am the same way about exercise. My rule of thumb is no breakfast until I do my excercises, a great motivator for me. Most days I do enjoy excercising, but there are those days that it is a chore.
I use video tapes, mostly Leslie Sansone Walk videos. They seem to give me a good workout, expecially if I do the 3 or 4 mile tapes.

Keep up the good work!
CarrieAnn :D

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:35 pm

Thanks CarrieAnn!!

I have heard that those WATP vids are really good. Maybe I'll have to give one of them a try. I take my boys to school early in the am and I drive right by our club on the way back so there is no excuse not to stop in. :)

Let's all keep sweating!!!!

Dru

PS. I am moving only 3 miles from our current home but we still have to pack up and have movers so it is very crazy.
:roll:

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:19 pm

Realization #2: (After a rather full plate of comida mexicana)

When I eat too much I get a stomach ache. :oops:

You'd think I've have figuered that out by now, but I'm just realizing it.

Crazy, huh?

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:36 pm

It is Saturday morning and I had yet another dream about eating S food on No S days! :lol: :lol:

Last night at a family birthday party I declined the carrot cake. Usually I decline and take something home but as gorgeous as the cake looked it wasn't appealing enough to bring home. Progress.

I have done little exercise this week due to all the running around with our move and then the relatives from out-of-town. I know, excuses. I'm going to try to get in there today as I find that I've been getting sleepy again in the afternoons.

Alright, hope everyone has a great day.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:40 pm

Dru,
I wonder what Freud would have to say about your latent carrot cake desires????
LOL.... :lol:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:08 pm

Hey, Dru, give yourself a break. Moving IS exercise. In days before all our modern conveniences, exercise wasn't something people had to "get", it was built into their daily lives. And that's what you're doing now. So, don't say you aren't getting exercise....you ARE, but it's coming to you instead of you going to get it!

Enjoy your new pad.

Love,
Peetie

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:12 pm

Thanks Peetie. You are right. I am trying to cram too much into my day. I need to cut some slack for the next 8 days or so. Still, I did go to the club and do 45 minutes on the elliptical machine. Then, I promptly went into the lounge and had mass quatities of scones and croissants. Really!!!

Deb, I re-read my last post. I guess if you swap the words carrot cake with guy it could be freudian, but after all I am married. :shock:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:59 pm

I did go to the club and do 45 minutes on the elliptical machine. Then, I promptly went into the lounge and had mass quatities of scones and croissants. Really!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deb, I re-read my last post. I guess if you swap the words carrot cake with guy it could be freudian,
Actually, I think *any* dream with carrots in it, automatically qualifies it as a latent Freudian image...
LOL... :P

Sadly, I have had no carrot dreams...
LOL..
Have a great day and stop repressing your S urges Dru!!!

P&L
Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:42 pm

Deb,

I think the croissant and scone binge (let's call it by it's true name) is due to my stress regarding our move. The big truck comes on Friday and there is a lot to do.

Tell Richard that I also ate an entire pint of "Everything" B and J's last night.

There, I've cleared the NoS air. I don't feel so good today. Thank goodness today is Monday. (I'm not counting Colombus Day as S days. Sorry Christopher!!!)

The cool thing is that even though my S weekend was gluttonous it was still "allowable" and I'm back on track today. I haven't had a weekend like that for awhile....

D.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:26 pm

Hi Dru,

good luck with the big truck - I feel your pain! :lol:

btw shifting boxes around is *definately* exercise.
C.
CaroleJo

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:02 am

Hi Dru!
Are you all settled into your new place? Moving is not a fun thing. When we moved out hear to Oregon from Washington, oh boy, did I learn some new things. We have 2 pickups with a couple flatbed trailers. I had never pulled a trailer in my life. Well I made plenty trips pulling a flatbet trailer following my husband.

Good job passing on the carrot cake, I'm impressed. I don't think I could have done that, I am the cake monster
:lol:

Hugs & Love!
CarrieAnn

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:20 pm

Hi Guys.

Carrie Ann, thanks for the support. I had to drive my husband's box truck over to the new house. That was only 3 miles but it stressed me out. It is 25 feet long :!: We are moving 3 miles away but we still have to leave our current house empty, clean and presentable. (My optimistic husband thinks it will be ready to show next Thursday... I have my doubts.)

Anway, I spent most of yesterday painting one of the new bedrooms. My (nearly 12 year old) son did not fancy moving into a room that was cotton candy pink and mint green :shock: . So, my mom and I painted the room yesterday. Tommorrow the movers come...

What does all of this have to do with NoS? Not much really. I guess the only way it relates is to say that even during something as stressful as a move No S works perfectly. I did No S without a hitch on my holiday in the summer. I am confident that I can get through the holidays without gaining weight.

Alright...I'd better run. I just had to check in a read everyone's posts. Congrats to Rumba for losing 20 pounds. Congrats to Deb for her weight loss. Well done Peetie on spreading the No-S gospel, I hope CaroleJo has fun staring at her hammer. BD, I hope you are enjoying your holiday, keep on running. I know I have missed a lot of you but again, I couldn't stick to this *program* without knowing that all of you are out there doing the same. :D

Dru

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:00 pm

Cheers Dru, Glad it's going OK for you with the moving, painting etc.
Painting is also 'purposeful exercise' in my book.

C.
CaroleJo

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:20 pm

Hi Guys.

Wow, I've been gone for a week or so and there are so many new people. Welcome to all of you.

Everything is going well. I have unpacked 90% of our stuff.

I won't be checking in as much since our computer is not in the kitchen anymore but in the downstairs den of the new house. This is probably a good thing for me since I was on here a little too much. :oops:

Anyway, yesterday we took 23 kids to a movie for my son's birthday party. We didn't lose anyone so I consider it a success.

Happy MoNday to all of you. Keep Nosing....
Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:50 pm

Wow Dru!!!! You sound like you are almost all done with your move!!!
Awesome :)

Hugs and Love,
8) Deb