cvmom's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:00 pm

Hey, I think you just overtook me in the box unpacking stakes! I've still got about 10% of it to do as well. I'm down to the really stubborn ones that are filled with things that don't really belong anywhere though.

Take care
C.
CaroleJo

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:49 pm

Hi CJ.

Yes, I have decluttered most of my possessions due to a home organization website that I subscribe to. (www.flylady.net) I do not have a lot of "stuff".

On the other hand, you should see the boxes of junk that my 12 year old son has accumulated!! And it is all special and all must be kept. So, there is some serious culling that needs to be done there. I have decluttered most of their toys but there are things like rocks and darts and small star wars figures that just need to be put into some containers.

BTW, I am sticking to the No S religiously. Also, I have been exercising every day so my energy is very high. It's so funny: Saturday morning starts off on such a high. Wow, I can eat sugar, hooray. But by Sunday night I am really done and I just can't wait to get back to my routine.

I am very thankful to have discovered this site because it has (are you ready for this....) transformed my life!!!!! I am a happier person since I've been doing No S. I am much more positive about my life and my health and just everything. If anyone is reading this post and wondering if No S is for them all I can say is that it works. And the longer you stick with it the easier it gets.

Dru

P.S. I have shaved off another 1/2" on my waist and hips...

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:08 pm

Hello from a fellow Fly Baby.

FlyLady and her program have been a God sent blessing to my home, my family and me.

Much as No S and Reinhard have been a God sent blessing to my health.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:19 pm

flylady looks really useful. I shall investigate - just as soon as I can pull together an extra 15 minutes in my day to have a good read (after I get home - there's too much going on at work right now, I shouldn't even be HERE!)

C.
CaroleJo

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:22 pm

Hi Dru!
Sounds like you have been busy, busy, but good for you for sticking to No S! I know what you mean by eating sugar on weekends, then by the time the weekend is over you are looking forward to Monday, with No S's. I have to admit that when I first started this it had the opposite effect. After having a weekend with some good S's I dreaded Monday. Now that I have been doing it awhile I look forward to Monday's. That is a good sign. This does get easier the longer I do it. Can't say that about any other diet or eating changes I have tried in the past.

Hugs & Love!
CarrieAnn :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:34 pm

P.S. I have shaved off another 1/2" on my waist and hips...
Most excellent ps!!!!!
Yay Drusky!!!
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:38 am

okay...I have no idea how I screwed that one up..For some reason I ended up posting a new subject...oops.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:54 am

Ha ha!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:36 pm

Hello Guys.

Is this my check in???

I wanted to let everyone know that after doing No S perfectly for 5 months I broke a rule last night. I had a plate full of ceasar salad and a slice of pizza and while I should have stopped I grabbed another slice of pizza. I don't want you all to tell me that it is no big deal and that I didn't blow it because I knew in my heart that I was breaking my own rule. So, I'm just airing my dirty laundry here as to be accountable to myself. My No S habits are pretty ingrained so I don't anticipate a major backslide.

I have a problem with perfection anyway, so this is a good opportunity for me to recognize that life happens and that I don't have to always do everything perfectly. Upon reflection this morning I realize that the need for a second piece of pizza was probably triggered by the fact that someone made me very angry yesterday. Today I plan to deal with this person in a rational, calm manner and I will not allow them to disturb my eating.

Having said that...yipee it is Friday!!!! I have to go to one of those "home shows" tonight so I intend to eat a late lunch and have a cup of soup before I go to the party. Then, I can enjoy a few appetizers and do some virtual plating.

Dru

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:46 pm

Go Dru.

PERFECT FOR 5 MONTHS!!!! Wow. At the moment I'm having trouble with 'perfect for 5 days'! :lol:

Hopefully once I get a bit more settled, it will be easier.

Given what you wrote, I'm certainly not going to tell you it doesn't matter - but it really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things all the same.

All of us fail - it's that pesky 'Human' thing again. Just some of us more than others :twisted:

Have a good day today.
C.
CaroleJo

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:42 pm

Hello Gang of No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds.

This is CV Mom here checking in. All is well. After my little fall off the wagon I watched my carb intake the next day. (Aren't you proud of me Shameless???) and got back on track.

I saw a photo of myself that was taken in April and I look so much better now. Thanks again Reinhard. You are an amazing guy and I don't know where I would be mentally or physically if I had not found your site. I would probably be gorging on Halloween candy and telling myself that I can diet after the New Year. Thankfully, I don't have to do that sorry dance anymore!!!

The other perk of No S is that I have been excercising more. Yesterday I went on a 2 hour hike. It was tough, but getting to the top of the ridge was worth it. I am going to try to do that every Monday with another mom as long as weather permits.

I am probably 8 pounds from fitting into my skinnest jeans. Frankly, I don't mind if I never get there but I have a feeling that I will.
D.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:45 pm

Rock on Sister Drusky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep it up gir!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:20 pm

Hey Dru, I grew up in LA, too, and graduated from L.A. High School, class of '69.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:31 am

Yes, I am glad I don't live in the sprawling metropolis anymore!!! LOL

I was just down there a few weeks ago and the traffic is atrocious.

Regarding eating things have been going very well. Tonight I had a rather full plate of dinner and I feel uncomfortable. My need for more more food seems to fluctuate during certain times of the month. (Sorry guys, plug your ears.) The funny thing is that my rather "full plate" is skimpy by the old standards.

I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner which makes me nervous since my mom and my stepdad are both chefs. I get intimidated, but I've got to learn to cook more holiday meals. (We have been very spoiled in the past). I am going to attempt to brine and roast a turkey... The next day is Friday and I am stating here and now that I will keep it as an N-Day. I'm sure there will be plenty of sweets left over on Saturday and Sunday!!!!

Although the number on the scale hasn't changed for the past month or so, (135) I know that I am shrinking. The muscle mass must be shifting around. No worries. I am about 1/2 way towards my goal and I have learned patience with No S. I think we have to respect our bodies and not expect them to "obey" our command to shrink on demand. Besides, the process is fun.

Alright...goodnight all. Dru

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:10 am

Hi Dru!

Sounds like you're doing great -- 135 -- wow. I remember when I was 135, I thought I was fat! Now at 165, I'll be happy when I hit 159! Funny what a little perspective will do for you. You're going to be down to your goal weight in no time. 130 is my ultimate goal. Thanks to this group, I know I'll get there. It'll be great to celebrate with all the No S ers. Maybe we should have a special section for those who have completed this part of the journey? Maybe even with before and afters?

Best to ya!
Lane

peetie

Post by peetie » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:10 pm

Dru - Your parents are chefs and you don't weigh 500 lbs. That alone is a huge feat!

Jan - I grew up in the San Fernando Valley (which is scary now to drive through) and graduated in '67.

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:24 pm

Hi Dru!!!
You are skinny!!!! LOL..
Hey Peetie...
While you were graduating College and wearing tie dyes, I was being born in Brookdale hospital...
LOL...
Ah, 1967...
The year of Sgt Pepper!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:21 am

Deb,
I was smoking prunes with my hippie friends. Now I AM a hippy friend!
Love,
Peetie

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:03 pm

Peetie:

You are hilarious.

Deb, thanks for the compliments Miss Srgt. Pepper.

Nothing new to report, just plugging along with No S. Well, this is kind of funny: my family is catching on. My son handed me a piece of chocolate on Saturday and said, "Here, it's an S Day". And I got a call on the cell phone when I was at the supermarket on Sunday that reminded me to "Bring Ice Cream, it's an S day".

Lane, one of my best friends just moved to Boise. I am going to go visit her in February and do some skiing.

Best to all,
Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:02 pm

I was smoking prunes with my hippie friends. Now I AM a hippy friend!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I somehow missed this over the weekend prunella! LOL...

Have a great day and don't eat the brown prune acid!
ps.. Hi Drusky!
Love,
Deb
xo!

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:35 pm

Hey Dru!

What's the name of your friend? How long has she lived in Boise? Where will you be skiing? I would recommend Tamarack, just because it's new and closer than Sun Valley. But I've never been there during the winter. I hear it's really great. Brundage gets great snow and Sun Valley is awesome. Every once in a while we'll run into celebs there like Mariel Hemmingway or Adam West (Batman). Bruce Willis has a restaurant/bar nearby in Hailey. Bogus is closeby, but probably not the best skiing compared to the others. My 5 year old will be up there taking lessons come January.

(And now for the scary, stalker-type question) Wanna meet up? I've never met an on-line pal in person before. We could meet for an S-day coffee. Talk to your buddy and let me know!

:lol:

choxie

Post by choxie » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:15 pm

cvmom wrote:Hi CJ.

Yes, I have decluttered most of my possessions due to a home organization website that I subscribe to. (www.flylady.net) I do not have a lot of "stuff".

What someone on the web can teach me how to declutter my house.

Just point me in the direction and I am going to do it.

I so need the help.

And congrats on the shaving the waist. That has to feel good.

choxie

Post by choxie » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:18 pm

cvmom wrote:Hello Guys.

doing No S perfectly for 5 months

Wow, you RAWK!!!!! OUT LOUD!!!!!!

5 months? Great going.

That in and of itself deserves all of the applause and not your slip.

Like you said, it's ingrained and backsliding aint gonna happen.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:33 pm

Gosh, I felt like I'd better write or my daily log would reach the 2nd page!!! LOL

Lane, I don't know where we will ski, but my friend's parents live in McCall which is about 2 hours away. She lives in Boise in some fancy development and has a beach in her backyard!!! LOL As time gets closer I'll let you know if we decide to go up there.

I hope you all survived Thanksgiving. My turkey came out perfectly!! I reccommend brining the turkey, it is worth it.

I did take Friday as an N day, but I also went to the spa and had a massage so I was distracted. No worries, I still ate the rest of the chocolate pecan pie over the weekend!!!

I'm still plodding away at my current weight. I'd love to lose another 10 pounds and I still think it can happen. No S is just one of those ways of eating that is slow but very powerful. Longevity is the key to this. Maybe I need to work on portion control like Jan does. I still eat some very full plates. (But no vertical stacking!!!!)

Alright, hope you all are well.

Dru

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:05 pm

Hey Dru!

Brundage Ski Resort is in McCall and Tamarack in on the way to McCall in a town called Cascade. So you could stay at your friends in McCall and ski at either resort. Both choices are good -- and we're getting a lot of snow this year already. If you decide to go, you're going to have a blast!

Take care & I'll check in with you later. :D
Lane

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:40 pm

Just a quick update: last night was my wedding anniversary. Although my husband and I had an amazing meal we skipped dessert on his suggestion. He said, "We have so many holiday dinners and parties, let's just wait to eat dessert on Saturday". I was shocked. I mean I think he is becoming a No-eser by osmosis!!! LOL

Tonight we go out for some Christmas business dinner and I don't expect to eat dessert. When we usually go out on an N night then I have a cappucino for dessert (with no sugar).

Alright, hope y'all are well.

Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:42 pm

PS. I forgot to mention the 50 boxes of See's candy in my hall closet. 50 Boxes!!!!! Did I say, 50???? :shock: :shock: It's true.

They are being given to clients and practically anyone that walks through our door!!!!

D.

peetie

Post by peetie » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:43 pm

Dru, I want to walk thru your door!!!! See's is my favorite. Isn't it amazing all that stuff can be there and you can pass it by? I still amaze myself that there is Costco cake in my freezer from months ago that I don't feel the need to inhale in one sitting. This moderation thing is cool. Who woulda thunk it?

And congrats on your anniversary. And a hubby who gets the NoS philosophy thru osmosis.

peetie

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:00 am

It is Saturday night and I have decided that I don't like See's candy anymore. We gave away all the milk chocolates and all the nuts and chews. The only boxes left are soft centers and they are just gross. You never know what you are biting into with soft centers. Why doesn't See's put a menu on their candy with a description of what is inside? I have bitten into some very weird praline, coconut, coffee, cherry thingys all day. Blah.

On the upside, I stopped eating them after I realized that they weren't what I wanted.

We went out for dinner at an Italian and I had a salad and a meatball.

Delirious with fatigue....Dru

PS. Saw Narnia with the family today. What a good film.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:42 pm

Good for you Dru!!!!
I wouldn't ever waste any S's on stuff that is "Sub S Par", these days!
It's good to be a discriminating Nosser!

There's this great chocolaterie here in Great Neck which has been open for more than 25 years or something, called Lazar's Chocolate.... hand dipped chocolates of all types! Almond bark, chocolate dipped apricots, truffles, chocolate turtles... Whoah!!!
Of course it's usually about 18 dollars a pound... I guarantee that it beats the pants off any packaged candy box, Sees, Whitmans... etc.....

I'd be more than happy to send you a little gift box, but you need to specify what you *don't* like! LOL...

I won't include any cherry creme or coffee cream soft ones..Yeechhh.....
LOL...

Oooh... Their white chocolate is pretty good too!

Let me know! :lol:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

They actually have a website it seems... LOL... But you need to fill in some stuff to register, so sorry......
Go to: www.lazarschocolate.com
And drool away!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:03 pm

Thanks Deb.

Yes, I will check out their website. I'm definitley more of a Nuts n' Chews girl....

BTW, I really like the photos that CJ posted for you. They are great. You and Richard both have such great smiles.

I managed to get my packages out to the UK yesterday. The Christmas cards are all but sent. Now I can relax and focus on enjoying the holiday season. The No S God have been kind to me this year since most of my big days (Birthdays and now Christmas) have fallen on S days!!! I wonder if Reinhard planned it this way. LOL

Anyway....that's about all for now. I'm in my 7th month of No S and I feel so good for this time of year. Normally, I am ill because I am stuffing my face with anything that contains sugar. In fact, we currently have the following desserts in my house: carrot cake, cheesecake, chocolate and cookies. But I'm not even tempted since my No S habits are so ingrained. We don't normally have all this junk in the house but my mom had her Xmas party on Sunday and sent me home with all kinds of food. (Probably so she wouldn't be tempted!! LOL)

Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:41 am

Hello Guys and Gals (Wasn't that a musical??? No, Guys and Dolls...)

Anyway, I lost another 1.5 pounds.

We had a Boxing Day party at our home on, well, Boxing Day and a friend who I hadn't seen since May told me that I look like I've lost weight.

I remember Navin, along time ago, said that he was losing about a pound per month. It seemed like so little back then but now I see that seems pretty accurate. I don't think we are going to be losing 10 pounds in 10 days here in the No S mindset, but I'd rather lose the 10 pounds over 10 months and know that I won't have to pop a chip in my mouth and gain 3 pounds in a day.

The days of starving and then binging are over!!! Yippee. There is a great freedom here.

The past 3 days have been kind of weird because I had a bad cold so I had to take a S day for Sickness which included some ginger ale. But, it helped the bad stomach.

I don't know if any of you have thought of the New Year with resolutions in mind. I guess they are statistically made to be broken. But because of our genius Reinhard I don't have to make my usual "lose weight" resolution.

Wishing all of you a Happy New Year filled with moderation, self-control and lots of S-day pleasures.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:16 am

That's great Drusky!!! :D

Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:01 pm

Quote:

That's great Drusky!!! Very Happy
Especially considering what time of year it is. Way to go!
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:45 pm

Awww Shucks You guys!!!

You are sooooo sweet.

Thanks for caring. :D :D :D

We are all in this together, n'est pas?

D.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:42 pm

Dru,
I don't know about this nest pas guy, but you are so sweet too!!!! LOL...

Wishing you the best for 2006 and beyond!!
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:48 am

Today I wore a pair of 501's that I haven't been able to wear in public for 3 and 1/2 years. :!: :!: :!: They actually fit. I'm not squeezed into them. Truly.

This would not have been possible had I not found this site. Thanks again Reinhard.

I probably would be on Day Whatever of Diet Whatever to ring in the New Year. How depressing is that?

For those of you that are new to this board please just stick with this way of eating. You WILL lose your cravings and you WILL change your habits.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:37 am

Today I wore a pair of 501's that I haven't been able to wear in public for 3 and 1/2 years. They actually fit. I'm not squeezed into them. Truly.
That is soooooooo fantastic Dru!!!!
Boy, I can't wait to wear my Daisy Dukes in another year or so!!!
LOL...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:06 am

Wow Dru!
:D

That is such a great feeling, isn't it?
Very well done. That's excellent news. 8)

C.

PS: If in future you've got a bad stomach but don't want the sugar in Ginger ale, try making a ginger tea. Get some fresh root ginger, chop some up very finely (about a dessertspoon's worth). Put it in a large cup, pour over boiling water and leave till it's cool enough to drink. You can add a little honey or maple syrup if you want a sweeter taste, but we usually sip it as is.
CaroleJo

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:18 am

Thanks for the tip Carole Jo. One of my many goals is to learn how to steep herbs and such properly. I don't know why, but it somehow intimidates me...

Things are A-Okay on the No S front. My 8 year old just lamented the fact that he can't play his Game Cube. It's not allowed during the school week. I told him that I sympathize with him since I don't have sweets during the week. Applying the No S principles for other things in life can be useful and teach moderation.

I Hope everyone is doing well. I wore my size small Prana hiking pants today while I was, well, hiking. I'm glad I didn't get rid of them. I've had them since '02. This is a very happy thing for me and I know people here will understand that it is not trivial. That is why I mention it.

Dru (Don't No S faithfully since June of '05)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:49 am

This is really not a daily check in anymore, but I wanted to let everyone know that I'm still out there and still doing the No S thing.

It has been 9 months that I've been faithfully eating this way and my eating is pretty much under control. There are a few days per month when I feel the need to grab an extra piece of bread on my plate but I think this has to do with hormones. (Darn that PMS)

I feel like I'm at a natural weight for my frame (Somewhere between 130 and 135). I am medium boned and 5'3". So, while it is not "thin" it is "normal". And all I really ever wanted was to be "normal". Not on some crazy fast or some crazy macro/vegan/southbeach/pointcounting diet.

I am so grateful to Reinhard for creating this site and for teaching me the subtle art of self-control. Not only have I lost my weight, but I think I'm a better person because of doing No S. My confidence is much higher and I'm just happier.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:30 am

Hi Dru!
I'm five three and 205 so you sound mighty skinny to me!!!!!

Hugs out to Caramel Valley!
Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:28 pm

Deb:

Thank you for responding to my post. You are so funny. It's Carmel Valley, not Caramel Valley. Just reading that made me think of candy :!:

Willy Wonka, Chocolate river, cookies growing on trees...yikes it is only Tuesday. :shock:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:53 pm

Dru,

Thanks for checking in again! I understand that checking in daily can get to be a drag (I don't do it), but it's great to see evidence that people are sticking with it not just for days, but months and years. I'm happy it's working so well for you, and look forward to more checkins, at whatever frequency works best for you.

Best,

Reinhard

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon May 22, 2006 7:05 pm

Hello Gang.

Long time, no post!!!

I wanted to check in and record a few day's worth of N's. Even though I have been doing this for nearly a year (hard to believe!), because I haven't been on the boards lately I have been slipping a bit. I am still sticking to the rules but I have been doing too much virtual plating (Plating is a verb, isn't it???) So....Breakfast was: one slice of whole grain bread with smart balance buttery spread and natural peanut butter. Regarding the peanut butter I have switched to natural with no sugar and it just isn't as good. LOL

I still can't believe I have managed to stick with an eating plan this long. It's probably because it is such a simple philosophy. At this stage of life just give me the basics. I have too much going on and I don't need a complicated set of rules. Will post more exciting meals later tonight. I'm sure you are all waiting with bated breath about my lunch...
Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue May 23, 2006 12:48 am

Lunch: cup of homemade tomato/potato soup, 1/2 sandwich of chix and portabello mushrooms

Dinner: breakfast burrito on WW tortilla. Small bowl of fat free popcorn (yikes, I know, that is a snack food, but I couldn't help myself.)

Two hour hike for exercise. Have a great night everyone. Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed May 31, 2006 8:27 pm

Hey Guys...Just checking in. I had a great week and stuck to the rules, even enjoying my husband's birthday weekend. (The No S Gods have been so kind to me this year as practically every birthday in our family has been on a Saturday or Sunday!)

We went to the beach on Monday and my 12 year old son brought a shovel. He shove-gloved his way into a hold probably 5 feet deep. :lol: That night he had blisters on his hands and he was really sore. I did not join him, sorry to say, Reinhard, as I was too busy sitting in a chair and being social.

I bought a jump rope and I decided I was going to start jumping. I figured that I could jump for maybe 30 minutes every few days...well, I barely lasted 30 seconds. It is good exercise, I recommend it.

Hope everyone is doing fine. Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed May 31, 2006 9:29 pm

Jumproping is hardcore aerobic and endurance exercise!!!
Good luck!
Great to hear you are having a good NoS run and enjoying Life!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:17 am

You are correct, your lunch was awaited with bated breath!! But well worth the wait. LOL!!
See if you can find a refrigerated brand of peanut butter called Real Peanut Butter. It is natural but good. My husband says I am the peanut princess so I should know. Haha.

Thanks for posting on my thread. I am glad you like What not to wear. I couldn't believe the principles they talked about really worked. I actually like what I bought and it didn't make me look fat. I never would have tried these items or even know they existed because I always went with the one piece knit top things and figured cute blouses were for thin people. Who knew??
Welcome back and best of luck to you Cvmom. We missed ye!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:56 pm

Hi PangelSue:

Yes, I will definitely look for "Real Peanut Butter". I also consider Peanut Butter one of my basic food groups!!!! Currently, I have Laura Scudder's which isn't bad. We just can't keep the Jif in the house anymore though. It has way too much sugar and technically is an S.

All is well here. Went for about an hour walk on the beach with my mom and our dogs. Every little bit of moving counts, I suppose. D.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:25 am

That walk along the beach sounds great. I was locked up in a windowless cube in a windowless part of a building for 12 hours today and when I read your post, I could smell the water and the dogs. Sounds wonderful. Sometimes relaxing while moving works on the body and the mind. Keep up the great job.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:33 pm

I'm glad I brought a smile to your face. :D

Dogs on the beach are so funny to watch. They are completely in the moment. Fortunately our dogs stayed out of the water...[/url]

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi No S people.

I am sad to report that my little puppy died last week. It was a vet's negligence that killed her. (She aspirated upon waking from sedation and got pneumonia). Obviously this was a loss for our entire family. She was only 10 months old and should have lived to be over ten years. I wish I could tell all of you that I have stuck to the No S rules but in dealing with a loss, well you never know how you will react. For the first few days I couldn't eat much of anything but then I was eating. I pretty much stuck to the rules but I found myself having a carb snack in the afternoon. Probably needing the endorphins.

Well, today is my birthday so it is an S day. And really, things are back on track. Each day is a little easier. I just wanted to tell you guys so that you know that if you have to go through something really sad (and losing a dog is terrible, but God forbid something worse), just be gentle on yourselves. I know that the continuity of the No S lifestyle can see me through and that I can always jump right back in anytime.

Hoping you all are well. Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:44 am

It has been 2 weeks now since my dog died and I am getting back on track. I have one kid going back to school this coming Monday and the other one going back on September 5th. I cannot wait to get back into a routine. This summer has been interesting, to say the least.

In my strange weirdness of not sticking to the rules I have learned that I am a pretty disciplined person. And also, I am seriously not that into sweets anymore. Maybe that sounds crazy, but I just want to eat real, healthy food. I don't feel obsessed with any particular food.

No major breakthrough or insight to report. Just a note to say that I'm still here, plugging along...

D.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:32 am

Oh Dru!!!!!!!
I somehow missed your posts!!!
So sorry about your puppy!!!!
(((((HUGS!!!!!!!!)))))))))

That is such a shame.. I am sure it has been a sad time for all of you..
My heart goes out to your family!

On a cheerful note (I know how cheerful could you feel now! but still,,,,)
Happy Birthday!!!!!
We love you girlfriend!!!!!
Sending you a birthday song and a bunch of roses and balloons!
And some special dark chocolate!
Peace and Love,
Deb

cvmom

Starting Fresh

Post by cvmom » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:24 am

Hello No S People.

It has been a loooong time since I posted and it is great to see all the new names and some of the regulars too.

I have decided to do a 21 Day posting to get myself back on track. I made a HUGE mistake and went on a diet (I know, I'm sorry Reinhard!) with a group of cousins because we all wanted to lose a few pounds prior to Thanksgiving. We ended up eating on a low carb plan and I did actually lose about 10 pounds...only to put it back on very quickly the moment I started eating like a normal person again. This put me in diet behavior mode and I found myself getting neurotic and forgetting about the tried and true No S Philosophy. (Weighing myself every day and then lamenting my pants getting tight! Yikes!) And, then I was back into my old eating habits. And though I made a few heartless attempts at getting back on track last week I still found myself eating sweets during the week.
I know this can all be remedied with a few good No S weeks so I'm not worried. But it feels better to post so that I have some accountability.

Sooooooooooooo..Here we go.

Day 1 - Success

Breakfast: steel cut oatmeal with walnuts and raisens, coffee
Lunch: Salad at Chipotle (with their pork and added guac too)
mid afternoon: Short double breve latte
Dinner: Rocket salad topped with mixed curried veggies from Whole Foods, a piece of fresh French bread with smart balance. And a strawberry. This was all on one plate by by gosh!

Exercise: 30 minute run on the treadmill...just under 3 miles.

Dru

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:43 pm

DRU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a coincidence! You and I had similar stats before, and here we are again (my new Day 1 was yesterday). Cycles, eh? I too started getting a little weird, in a different way, but lost the habit.

Good to hear from you! You're gonna do great!
Mandy

PS Way to go on keeping up with running. I'm back in the saddle, as well, just did a half-marathon a few weeks ago, running about 30 miles per week and doing yoga like crazy!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:14 am

Day #2 Success!!!

B- steel cut oatmeal with raisens, milk, walnuts. Coffee
L - vegetarian quesadilla with mixed green salad + cracker with hummus
iced tea (this was a birthday lunch for a friend and I could have used
it as an excuse for dessert but I didn't - yeah for me!)
Afternoon: coffee
Dinner: the rest of my vegetables, two bites of orange chicken and piece of french bread with smart balance

Exercise: 7.5 mile hike (it sounds manic, but it took three hours and the wildflowers are in bloom...gorgeous

Mandy: Thanks for the hello. let's try to get 21 days under our belts together, okay? Glad you are here too. D.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:38 pm

Nice work! We're on a roll...

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:10 am

Days 3 and 4 Success
Well, yesterday was my first (S)ick day that I've ever had to take. I've been here almost two years and I finally got sick enough to not want to eat!!! LOL

I had breakfast and lunch, but by dinner time I had a high fever and only drank Sprite.

Today I had a slice of toast for breakfast, soup and bread for lunch and then a normal dinner (pesto pasta, broccoli, a slice of bread and pineapple)

No exercise because I felt horrible yesterday and still a little on the weak side today.

Glad to be feeling more human. Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:02 pm

Day 5 Success!!!
B: Oatmeal (the the usual stuff)
Lunch: 1/2 a deli sandwich
Later afternoon: the other 1/2 of the sandwich
dinner: slice of mushroom pizza, diet coke
at the movies: nothing but a latte

No exercise since I was still pretty congested

Day 6 (Today!!, and S day - so its a Success no matter what)

B: oatmeal again (am I stuck in a rut?), coffee
L: bowl of soup
S snacks: a lemon square and some cookies, coffee...

Treadmill today for 45 minutes which included 30 minutes of running.
Hope everyone has a nice holiday weekend. D

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:23 pm

Day 7 Success
(Of course, it was an S day so why wouldn't it be?)
Ran on treadmill for 30 minutes

Day 8 Success

B- granola and yogurt
L - tomato, mozzerella, basil sandwich
D- lettuce wraps and chinese chicken salad, slice of bread (I probably could have made the pile on my plate a little less like a mountian - but hey - better then nothing)\

Exercise: treadmill 45 minutes (30 of it in a run)

Insight: I am pleasantly uplifted by my self control.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:36 am

Day 9 Success (I can't believe how fast this is going...)

B: oatmeal, 1/2 an apple and walnuts, coffee
L: roasted veggie panini sandwich (admittedly a little on the large size...but I was at a restaurant,) iced tea
D: about 5 oz. of broiled salmon and cubed, sauteed sweet potatoes (I bought them already cut and bagged at the supermarket...easy to make and very sweet)

Exercise: 45 minute walk on the Treadmill on an Incline positiong while I watched TV.

D.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:23 am

Day 10 Success!!!!!

B: oatmeal, raisens, walnuts and coffee
L: bagel sandwich with tuna, tomato, sprouts, avocado
D: a few bites of salmon, handful of walnuts, a strawberry, some sweet potato and 2 pieces of cheese quesadilla with salsa. I have no idea how I fit all of this on my plate, but I did and I have just eaten and I'm not too full.

Exercise: 30 minutes running on treadmill, plus 10 minutes walking for a grand total of 40 minutes.

Getting back into gear and I can feel it!!!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:51 am

Congrats on 10 days of good habits - you are half way to your first 21 days.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:04 am

Day 11 Failure

Yikes, and Merry Kat, you had just congratulated me!!!

My oops was an extra bag of chips at lunch which escalated in a rather large bag of M&M's in the afternoon. I was so sick. I did not have dinner.

But, I'm not discouraged as this is part of my No S life. I will just soldier on. I had 10 good days and so I will just pick myself up off the ground and start again.

D.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:19 pm

Dru!! I was JUST going to post my failure...so it looks like we're starting over again (again) together. Friday's a good day for that...

Keep on keepin' on...

Mandy

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:36 am

Well...here is another go:

Day 1 - success
Day 2 - success
Day 3 - success
Exercise too!

I have decided to take the same approach as MStevens and just write success and/or failure. I find that listing what I eat is pretty laborious and unless anyone out there is hanging on my descriptions of food intake I will just cease. I still have the need to check in so that I can get back on track. I also find the general discussions interesting.

Mandy, thanks for the encouragement. We can do this together. Dru

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:39 pm

Woo hoo, woman! We're back on a roll!

How's the running going? I was sick all last week with a sinus infection last week, but I'm back on the horse...yoga too!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:12 pm

Day 4 Success!!!!!

Hey Mandy: I am running 3 days per week for 30 minutes (not including warming up and cooling down: about 42 minutes total) I have been doing this for about a month, having built up to it over about 9 weeks, thanks to a podcast. (Couch to 5K) I am not a fast runner. I only run at about 5.4 or 5.5 so I am just under 3 miles. Still, I sweat and I can see a difference in my stomach. It is going away. I have never really enjoyed running. But, I like the after effects and that endorphin high. I am also hiking, walking, doing the eliptical trainer, etc. I try to do something at least 5 days per week.

As far as the No S thing, I am finally back on track after a long hiatus beginning in mid-October. (If you ever want to screw up your No S habits then just go on a low-carb diet!). I floundered around from about mid-January until a few weeks ago. It was like I completely forgot how to No S. But I am back on track now and feeling much more in control. I wish I could say that my pants fit better. I went from a size 8 to a loose size 8 to now a snug size 8. But, I think I can get back to my comfortable size 8 soon. That's where I am now....Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:22 am

Day 5 Success!!!

Exercise: running on the tm

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:34 pm

Good on ya, Dru. You are one day ahead of me, so I'll use that as inspiration...

:D :D :D

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:18 pm

Day 6 Success!!!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:28 am

Day 7 Success!!!! :D :D

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:13 pm

Days 8 and 9: Success

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:50 am

Day 10 - Success!!!!

Ran too.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:47 pm

You rock.
8)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:14 pm

Day 11 Success - and an 8 mile hike

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:23 pm

PS. Thanks for the encouragement Miss Mandy :D

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:17 am

Day 12 Success + 90 minutes of yoga

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:12 pm

Day 13 Success + walk/run treadmill for 45 minutes

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Day 14 - Success + mile run...

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue May 01, 2007 3:43 am

Day 15, 16, 17 Success

Also...ran 3 miles today. :D

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue May 01, 2007 2:48 pm

All your exercise has been inspiring me to exercise more --- thanks!!!

Julie

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed May 02, 2007 12:42 am

Day 18 Success!

And, 40 minutes on eliptical trainer...at a high level, no passing the time, but actual sweating.

(Julie, thanks for writing. I try to do something at least 5 days per week. Its nice to be noticed for that. D.)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:33 am

Back after hiatus....

Day 1 Success!!!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:33 am

Day 2 Success!!!!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Day Two Success

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:02 pm

Day three success

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Days 4,5 success

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:53 pm

Days 6,7 Success

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:47 pm

8, 9, 10, 11, 12, all success

But last night I had a failure.

What was the failure: a second slice of California Pizza Kitchen Margarita Pizza. It is wafer thin...and technically really not much....but if I am trying to change habits then I have to be completely honest with myself and own up to the "Seconds" aspect of what I'm trying to do. I did have plenty of other food on my plate so it wasn't like I was not eating enough. In fact, I didn't even notice that I ate it, until I felt overly full. So, I am admitting here that I had a failure.

But, I have had two good weeks and I feel much lighter. I don't know if the scale reflects it yet, but hey...

My intention for this weekend is to enjoy a couple slices of pie. I like what R. said on the general discussion board, that the ideal S day is a normal day with One Treat thrown in. So, my plan is to have a slice of pie on Sat. night and one on Sunday.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:05 pm

Day..whatever, I don't know. I think day 15. S day.

Last night I watched my husband eat a slice of pie. And, it really didn't bother me at all.

So, I got through my Friday, which, for some reason, has always been my most challenging day.

Took one kid to a movie yesterday and had a movie Hot Dog and popcorn for lunch. I know it was pure junk, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Wrong. Just counted...today is Saturday (Sday) and it is day 16. Woo Hoo.

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:06 pm

I like your journal.
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:46 am

Tip Toeing....very quietly back in to say I have been DIETING!!! Sorry, sorry, sorry....(saying this to myself).

I know better. But, I got so thin when I gave up sugar and white stuff...

Then, I was craving sugar...then I gave in.....the the "I'll start tomorrow" mentality.

Well, here I am, tail between my legs - grateful that I'm smart enough to know that dieting doesn't work. Restriction doesn't work. Moderation is the truth.

Okay - so I think I'm back on the No S wagon.....

D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:50 am

Hi Drusky!!
Mwah!
I just recommitted this year as well but not because I was dieting.
I was doing the exact opposite!
LOL :)
Hugs to you and yours!
Hope alls well :wink:
Love,
8) Debs x

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:43 pm

GLAD TO HAVE YOU BACK. I am guilty as well.
Watched Dr Oz & Roisen last night. Starting the No S including their advice for the next 14 days (supplements, some psychology stuff...). Good luck to you...and the rest of us!
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:11 pm

Hi Deb! Hi Cristi!

Thanks for missin me, girls. I sincerely appreciate it!

I have been doing really well this week. Lots of Greeny Green on that calendar :D :D !

I also have two new puppies!!! They have been keeping me very busy. They are little Havanese dogs...adorable. If I ever can figure out this avatar thing I will post a photo....

The excercise has been mainly a routine called Ttapp. (www.ttapp.com) I love this workout because I can do it in the privacy of my home. Of course, I also walk, but the running was really aggrivating my knee. And, being in my early 40's I just thought it was time to respect my body and not try to force it into compromising situations!

Cristi - I have Tivo'd the Dr. Oz. episode but I have yet to watch it. That's on the agenda today.

Have a great day.
Let's celebrate lot of GREEN!!

Dru

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:31 am

I have been gone for a long time. And yet, somehow, I always end up back here. :D

I'm feeling a little over-indulgent lately, and trying to give up the offenders seems so daunting.

Hence, I am back for a 21 day "cleanse" of the mind and jumpstart of the habits.

My No S diet is tweaked in the sense that I eat every three to four hours. This translates into 4 meals per day. (7am, 10:30, 2:30 and between 5 and 6pm.) I have found this to be a benefit to my metabolism.

So, I think I'm gonna post here for awhile again, so that I can get the extra padding gone.