Jenna's Daily Check In:

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jld141

Jenna's Daily Check In:

Post by jld141 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Day 1: 3/5: FAILURE
Wow, I failed on my first day! So that kinda sucks. It's hard when your roommates buy oreos....blahhhh feeling bad about myself, but I know the only way to continue is to just pick myself back up. Tomorrow will be a SUCCESS for sure I am determined!!!!!

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:34 am

OMG, Jenna, You absolutely cracked me up! :lol: Failure is just practicing for success. Like rehearsals for a Broadway play; lots of rehearsals before opening night!!

Even though" that kinda sucks", the beautiful thing about No “S†is that tomorrow is always another day, there will always be another three plates, and always more practice to make it work for you!! :wink:

Good luck! Welcome to No “Sâ€!
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks No BS! Your post is exactly what I needed to read right now!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Feeling a lot better today and I think I'm actually going to stick to NO S this time. I reached a turning point last night and I'm ready to stop being crazy in my mind and start living a normal life! So far so good--healthy breakfast of oatmeal and coffee, I feel better already!!!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Way to go! :D

jld141

Post by jld141 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:32 am

Thanks Amy3010! The encouragement from everyone on this board is definitely going to help a ton!!! Thanks so much!

Today was pretty much a perfect day. Gotta brace myself for tougher days ahead, but I worked out for an hour and didn't even feel the need to snack after dinner (which is when I usually am the worst). Here's to my first of *hopefully* many green days!!!

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:39 am

Kudos, Jenna, sounds like you are finding your balance!

And an hour of exercise is a huge bonus for your bod!! I find when I work out it cuts my appetite in half & totally gets rid of the urgency to eat. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat & pile my plate like a laundry basket after holidays!!! I just mean the exercise relaxes me & takes away any epic "frantic for food" feeding frenzies in the kitchen.

I suspect it is the exercise endorphins coursing through a body!! :lol:

jld141

Post by jld141 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Thanks No BS! I agree, working out really helps me to strengthen my focus on my goals! I wish I had more time to do it for that long every day!

Today is going to be another green day, I can feel it. Had a really healthy breakfast and will be busy all day so my mind won't be on food. I am always good in the beginning, but hopefully this time I am in it for the long haul--will be back to post the conclusion of today!

Update!

Another green day! (Unless Margaritas count as a sweet which I am not counting)...I did have to refrain from counting calories today though. I guess that's just another habit I'll have to break! Anyway, one more No S day until the weekend! Feeling good

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:07 am

you can do it! i found the first week was the hardest. it was hard the first monday too but then i got into sort of a habit of doing it a certain way. you'll find your structure and learn what keeps you full.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:02 am

Thanks MJ7910! It helps to know that the first week was hard for you too. I really only have half a week so far (started on Wednesday). It's Friday night and I want to snack or have a sweet SOOOOO bad right now. I just have to make it a few more hours before bed and tomorrow is an S day. It wasn't too bad before today but right now I have the strongest urge! But I do not want to mess up so I'm gonna post here and mark my day as green.

Today's daily check in, I'm going to declare, another success! Although I suspect I ate a lot...I technically did not break any No S rules. I think it's more important to get my habit down before I try to adjust my portions. I also need to break the habit of counting all of my calories. I've been doing that for so long I just always end up doing the mental math in my head since I know how many calories are in nearly everything now a days!

But I had the most delicious pizza for dinner, and I had 3 slices...it all fit on the plate but it was kinda a stretch...that's really the only "funny stuff" that happened this week. Just gotta make it about 3 more hours before I can go to sleep. But hopefully this craving will pass before then!!!

I'm not even hungry I don't know why I feel the need to eat so badly right now!!

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:33 am

Congratulations, Jenna, holding steady through a green Friday and making it to the "S" Day weekend!! Really good job! :D

When I first started I never worried at all about how much food was piled on my plate. I just wanted to reinforce the 3-plate good habit and make sure I didn't get so hungry between meals that I got discouraged or snacked.

Good luck to you!! Enjoy your weekend! :wink:

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks No BS! It was rough to make it to the weekend, but I felt so much better and my urge to snack went away within an hour!

Sat March 9: S Day

WITH A CAPITAL S! Man, I ate sooo much food today it was ridiculous. I think it's because I couldn't really plan an "S" that I really wanted, so I went hog wild and ate anything I could possibly find in my house. It's kind of ridiculous my mind set--I really hope my S days settle down. (I know tomorrow I will definitely settle down!!!)

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Sunday March 10th: S day

Definitely more tame than yesterday, although I did have snacks, sweets and seconds...

I do feel a lot better when I'm No-Sing. I felt sick all day today because of my major S day yesterday.

jld141

Post by jld141 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 am

Monday March 11th:
[color=green] SUCCESS![/color]

Feels good to get back to No-Sing after feeling so bloated all weekend. Although I am really tempted to snack right now--so I put in my retainer to help haha

I'm a little bit hungry but I can last another 2 hours before bed. I really hope this can be a permanent life style change for me! I think the hardest part will be when everyone else is snacking and eating sweets on a No-S day...but hopefully my habits will be well-established enough that I'll be able to resist.

Anyway...let's hope for another success tomorrow!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:09 am

Tuesday March 12th:

FAILURE

Well I guess it was just a matter of time! I ate a ton today and had kind of a WTH effect at the end, and I didn't exercise. Now I feel bad about myself. I should remember this feeling so the temptation to fail/WTH lessens in intensity.

Oh well tomorrow is another day! Going for Green!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:17 am

I imagine you listened to Reinhard' s message about WTH effect. Tomorrow is another day. I have such a short attention span that sometimes I forget I'm on No S until I have eaten so much I feel like crappola as well.

You are doing a good job, keep it up.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

jld141

Post by jld141 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks Over 43! I'm the same way with the short attention span...

Thanks for the encouragement!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Wednesday March 13th: SUCCESS!

Good success after my failure on Tuesday. Although it wasn't easy. I am home on spring break, and still had to fight the urge to go back to my old habit and raid all of the cabinets when I got home.

Hopefully over time this urge will go away and it will become easier and easier!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Thursday March 14th: FAILURE

I knew I wanted to keep my green streak alive, but the temptation to eat some chocolate took over and I had a piece. Luckily, I didn't succumb to the WTH effect this time...but it was a close call.

Ughhh I'm so close to the weekend too :(

Oh well, time to move on to tomorrow! (If I can make it through tonight without another S!!!)

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 am

Ughhh March 15th: FAILURE

ANOTHER failure, this week has not been good! Stressed with lots of stuff going on so hopefully next week will be better. I'll be more focused and back into my routine.

Just gotta move on and know that it will take effort but I FEEL better when I am compliant!

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:48 am

Hi Jenna:

I always look at my failings as practice for my eventual success!!

Enjoy your weekend and know next week is a fresh start with three fresh plates a day, every day! :lol:

Life really is an embarrassment of riches!! :wink:

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks for the encouragement No BS! That's a good way to look at it. I'm blaming my recent streak of failures on "that time of the month"

Today is an S day and I snacked a lot, but I realized that it made me feel sick and drowsy. The reason I chose No S is that it makes me feel good, and I need to remember that this was MY CHOICE, I chose to do this, so if I don't follow my own choice then that's my own fault!

Next week I'm determined to give 100% green! It will happen!!!!

After my snacking calmed down this morning I went out for a delicious dinner with my sister and felt a lot better. I don't know if I will weigh myself when I get back to school on Monday, but even with the string of failures I just had I feel lighter than when I started!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Sunday March 17th: S Day

Much more tame of an S day than yesterday, and ready to get back into my routine after spring break with a solid week of No S

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:31 am

it takes time. and i always tell everyone i have had weeks of bad failure and then somehow it changes on it's own. failures happen to us all. many of us (myself included) have had more than 3 solid weeks of "perfection" and then "messed up"... and we just get back up and keep going.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

jld141

Post by jld141 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:55 am

That's really encouraging to hear MJ7910...Today I just feel really fat and gross and wish I could just start over all of the times I binged and stuffed myself. I wish I could take them all back. Obviously, I can't, and I think the only way to succeed is to accept the fact that weight loss will be slow, but I want to find a way of eating in which I don't have to worry anymore. I think No S is the answer, I just have to get my S days under control, be patient, and try to get to the point when compliance is the default--not a struggle anymore

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 am

Jenna, I suspect none of us would be here if we didn't at times feel fat and gross from stuffing ourselves & binging, so on the plus side you have definitely come to the right place!! :wink:

Fresh day, fresh plates, fresh perspective, fresh groceries!! As an ex-alcohol binging friend of mine says: One day at a time!! :roll:

Hang in there. :)

jld141

Post by jld141 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 am

Ughh thanks No BS! Your encouragement means a lot! I have been on a hiatus from the daily check in but have still been using habitcal. Ever since spring break I haven't been doing so well, and have already had 4 red days this month (2 this week, 2 last week). I thought getting back into my routine after spring break would help, but for some reason I just disregard the rules sometimes...does that mean I just don't want it bad enough? I mean, I need to realize that it isn't going to just come naturally, and it does take some effort.

Also, I'm kind of struggling with the what the hell effect. I listened to the podcast about this so maybe I should start reporting here on my huge failure days...for instance, today was a red day. I had normal meals but I waited too long to eat dinner and was shaky (although this could have been due to my coffee), but I blamed it on lack of food, so I ate a HUGE dinner and then continued to snack on sugary granola all night. I almost ate an entire box of granola! Tomorrow is Friday so I have a chance to get one more green in before the S days.

I really want No S to work, I'm just struggling a lot with it for some reason this past couple of weeks! I need to remember how badly I want this life style, and I need to stop with the WTH effect. Also, I think if I just get on a string of successes it'll be easier, but once I fail once, it makes it so easy to fail day after day.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:48 am

Once I recognized I could eat anything in the world I wished for, in all of the quantities I wished (S-days), I also recognized what was important in my life was the quality & control of the food I ingested - rather than how much I could stuff in my mouth continuously without puking.

It's like the guy/lady in your life. You could binge on as many men/women you wished, but what is the point? Doesn't quality & commitment count for anything? How much is too much?

Only you can decide. On food. On men/women. Shoes. Cats. Lipsticks. Jobs. University degrees. Towels. Bras........... It never ends.

And that is the point. It really never ends until we make a choice & a commitment. And choose to put on the brakes in our "all you can eat buffet" driven lifestyles. It's true about all conspicuous consumption.

Enjoy your weekend. :wink:

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:17 pm

That's definitely a good way to look at it!

Unfortunately, I had another failure yesterday :(

Today and tomorrow are S days and I will enjoy them (though not go crazy), and then I'm going to shoot for a perfect green week next week. Gonna try to end March on a good note!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:00 am

Yeah.....so I fell off the wagon, AGAIN

But I'm getting right back on!

(Tomorrow is an S day though haha so I guess I'm getting right back on after Easter!)

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:19 am

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.†– Churchill