Childoftheking daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:45 pm

thank you oolala53. I like watching you and what you are doing. The fact that you have been at this for several years and it has worked for you is inspiring to me. :D

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 am

Spent some time catching up on your here. You are doing just awesome! Huge encouragement for me! Thanks for your encouragement on my thread!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Last week was mostly green. I had a slip on Friday when I was making cookies. Oh well, I've been green since march so no big deal u less it becomes a habit.
The only real issue I'm having is my plates must still b too large because I'm not really losing any weight. I haven't weighed since the beginning of may & I don't really plan to. I can just tell that my clothing isn't very loose.
I'm still very happy w/ no s as I'm not making myself crazy. :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Many NO S users don't like admitting that it is possible to follow it and not lose, but I gently say that it can't trick your body into losing weight without a deficit. And it can be discouraging just how little the body needs. I know one program that I very much trust the truth of but which I would never purposely follow recommended that a woman of my height limit herself to an average of 1300 calories a day until she got to her goal weight. That was one of the nails in the coffin of dieting for me, though I'm pretty sure on No S I have had a moderate number of days that low. But I would never condemn myself to them. They just have to occur.

Sorry if I'm repeating something I've said here before but it takes a deficit of 100 calories a day for 3 YEARS to SUSTAIN a loss of ten pounds. It's possible muscle gain could help offset that, but that involves some serious consistent heavy lifting, and that starts getting into the realm of too complicated for real life.

That is another detail that helps me stick with No S. I don't want to live my life a slave to the practices such facts imply. So far, this has got to be good enough.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:22 am

Thanks for the reminder oolala53.
I am still able to stay greed on N days but my S days are still pretty wild. I have learned to be careful what I bake on the weekends. For example last weekend I made an apple pie. That way there were only a few pieces so I didn't go so far overboard as I would if I made cookies. Also it was a fruit based pie and I canned the pie filling myself last summer so I know how much sugar is in it and no preservatives.
I also have several food sensitivities that I am trying to avoid right now. They don't cause a issue right away so sometimes it is hard for me to give them up. Sometimes I think if I felt terrible right after I ate one of the foods, it would be easer to just not eat it. But when it is delayed it is harder to put the two together. For example I had a beer (its the yeast that's a problem) tonight and right now I feel fine, but tomorrow I will probably hurt but sometimes not unless I drink another one tomorrow. Oh well, live and learn. Right? :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:21 pm

I, too, have wished for symptoms more obvious. Why wouldn't chocolate give me flu symptoms or high blood pressure or something so that I definitively had to give it up? But it's not a big issue now.

I do secretly wonder about the joint issue that paleo people and anti-wheat people talk about. I do have some discomfort in my shoulder joints and milder knee problems, plus some other chronic situations that are usually explained by other means. Could they really be eliminated by such extremes? Am I in denial for not being willing to try it out? Am I nuts for being willing to put up with those problems so that I can eat grains, legumes, and dairy/ Are those foods actually toxic for me? Am I just Such a change looks much more painful to me than No S did, so I'm reluctant to try. I don't think a few days of compliance would show anything significant, and longer than that...

Aack! Not going to think about it more on July 4.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Oolala53, I understand completely what you are saying. It's the guessing game that really gets us.
One thing I know for sure is that each of us is different. Each of our bodies react differently to foods. I have a doctor in Wichita that is a MD and a holistic doctor too. His clinic believes in treating the body as a unit not just systems in one area. One test they do is to actually test your blood with different foods to see how your body reacts. That way you are not guessing and/or following the latest fad. This is I think called a cytotoxic test.
So my test for example showed that I have a sensitivity to things you would never think to eliminate such as chicken, carrots, celery and fluorine, just to name a few.
If as you are going along you think your pain is sufficient to do something about, you could have one of those tests to see what you should eliminate and then you aren't just guessing.
Happy Independence Day! :D

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Mostly green this last week. But I did have a little slip last night. I have not been feeling well the last few days and that will sometimes wear me out. At least it was a small slip and I went for some watermelon instead of a sweet, but I did have a couple of extra meatballs from supper too. Oh well, I'll start again today.
:oops:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Keep up with us!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23