Carolyn Z's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

carolynz

Carolyn Z's Check In

Post by carolynz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Good morning,
Lovely Monday to you. I was thinking of lurking for a few months while I get this down, but clearly need a little extra help. I started the No-S diet two Fridays ago. The wheels started wobbling last Friday night and I just waded through two very S filled S days.

Dusting myself off, and picking myself up again. Planning on Doing Vanilla No-S for three straight months before adding or subtracting anything. I've got my HabitCal set up and have been obsessively listening to Reinhard's Podcasts, which are wonderful (and highly entertaining). have also been combing through the forums, which are very encouraging. I am very excited to be here!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Welcome aboard Carolynz. It is an exciting journey. You are among friends and we are all finding our way together. The podcasts are great - I keep going back to them. The book is also really helpful and in amongst all of these posts you will find amazing and valuable insights. Well done for making it so far, I am near the beginning too and my S days have been very challenging for me. But you cannot fail on an S day. Just get better at experiencing them the way you want to. Vanilla noS is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Good luck :)
Tessy

carolynz

Post by carolynz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Tessytwinkle, thank you so much! I've read the book as well and love it. Great, glad to have a fellow comrade on the same path. Appreciate the kind words!

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Carolynz,
Welcome.
Be patient and stick with us!
Kat
:wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Welcome Carolyn! So glad that you decided not to lurk! Please reach out anytime you need to. Everyone on this board is so helpful & supportive!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

carolynz

thank you!

Post by carolynz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:33 pm

You are already lovely, I appreciate it!

carolynz

Daily check in Tuesday

Post by carolynz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:56 am

I think this checking in is such a great idea and I am seeing the simpleness of the HabitCal is also effective. A side bar I am hoping to get out of this, as I have seem mentioned frequently on the forums is getting back to eating normally. The Diets We Have Tried thread is familiar territory.

On a sad note I have only one more of Reinhard's podcasts left, lots of great ideas. Off to check the HabitCal!

Carolyn

jw

Post by jw » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:16 pm

Welcome, Carolyn! It's also more in my nature to lurk, but these are the best diet boards I have ever seen: positive, kind, and sane! Glad you are here!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

carolynz

Post by carolynz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Oh boy, now I see why this Daily Check-in thread is handy! I need to tell someone, I just passed up the office abundance of extra sandwiches, cookies and cheese (yada yada yada) that were just offered up. I had already eaten my lunch. Put some sandwiches on a plate for dinner tonight and left the vicinity. That was a close call but five minutes later I am relieved. Wheew.

Thank you too JW for the kind words yesterday! Sane is quite nice.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Hooray, well done. Sooooo hard to pass up stuff especially when everyone else is eating it round you. Social pressure very hard to stay strong against. Great stuff and a little something in the fridge for later. A win/ win I would say
:)
Tessy

carolynz

Post by carolynz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:55 am

Today I marked as a fail, mostly as a Fence around the Law situation.

I think I should come here on a daily basis. I got through Friday night and then had a snacking, too many sweets weekend which I suppose was expected but kind of meh. Also drank too much wine.

So today I was happy to have my Monday clean slate back. However an hour before lunch I realized I had with out thinking put a spoon of mascarpone cheese in my mouth while visiting our kitchen at work. Argh! I know the feed aspect of it is no big deal (one spoon) but just shoving stuff in my mouth is what we are trying to break here. So any way.

It was kind of a bummer to see that red square in my habitcal tonight but gives me something to think about for next month.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:21 am

Oh dear. I know how you feel. I did that too. As you say it's not the food amount it's the change we're trying to make that comes under threat. But it will take time for our new habits to kick in and it is that mindless eating that will respond to a changed way of being. I am just starting to realise just how much nibbling and snacking i did to get through the day. Things can only get better :)
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:05 am

I find Mondays are really hard because I'm back in my habit of grabbing things here & there without thinking. It's kind of gross I know, but when I catch myself doing that I actually spit the food out so I don't have to call it a fail!

I'm sure the rest of the week will be great!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Isn't it interesting how you learn about yourself with this plan? I also was amazed at how often I used to just grab a handful or mouthful of this or that. Mindless eating. And never really having an appetite because of never really being empty. I was like some kind of drone!
:shock:
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

carolynz

Post by carolynz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:15 pm

It is always so nice to know I am not the only one! Today is already a better day. I love this plan, it has me percolating on other parts of my life that need this help!

Linda, I love that you actually catch yourself and spit things out. Note to self!!!!