Keep Calm and No S on

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:20 am

Great job!!!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Thank you lpearlmom :D

Still working out of town.
30 min workout on the hotel stairs.
Takeout dinner...lamb burger with no bun with a side of kale salad.

No sugar spring is going strong.
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Another day...another hotel room.

One thing stays the same...no sugar for me!

I'm almost to the point where sugar-filled (fill in the blank), aren't tempting me. The same thing happened when I quit grains. For a week or so it was torture, then the cravings minimized. Now I can stare at loaves of bread and not want a bite.

I'll keep on truckin'...

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:49 am

You're doing great! :D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi Cgal....you're doing great too!

Time to get back to the No S rules. For a couple weeks I focused on getting the sugar monkey off my back (or at least tamed). I wasn't 100% No S, especially the No Snacks rule. When a sugar craving hit, I would have a piece of cheese.

Now that I'm pretty stable, I'll implement No S next week.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:26 pm

Great job WL, I bet you'll find no-s much more manageable now. Hope you have a great weekend.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Hope you're having a terrific weekend Gingerpie!

Sugar was always the reason for my red days. I'm looking forward to doing another 21 day Vanilla S challenge. This time around it will be a success.

Time to head out to a Sunday morning kettlebell class. Back later.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:44 am

Good job with taming the sugar monkey! He's a tough one! I'm sure it will make following No S a lot easier.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks for the support Cgal :D

Hap Hap Happy Easter to all my No S buddies!

No chocolate bunnies and marshmallow peeps for me. Since it's an S day, I gave myself permission to have some sugar but, I really didn't want anything. Say what???? This is a huge milestone.

So what the heck, let's try a Vanilla S challenge. Easter is a perfect day to begin...

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:51 pm

Easter is a perfect day to begin. :wink: good luck

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Good for you! Yes, Easter is a good day for new beginnings. Keep up the good work! :D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:09 pm

Another night in a hotel room.
Lot of travel this month. Some for work and some for fun.
Tonight is a work trip. The good new is that I didn't spend any of my food allowance on sugar or snacks.
A SUCCESSful day!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun May 31, 2015 4:59 pm

Hey everybody!

I know it's been awhile since a post when I find my journal on the second page!

All is well in my NoS land. My sweet tooth has been contained to S days. Most N days I don't even think of breaking the rules which is a No S miracle!

I'm on week 5 of a 12 week strength challenge at my kettlebell gym. In an effort to reach my goals, I'm working on losing a few pounds. I don't want to focus on weight but doing a pullup would be a heck of alot easier if I lost a couple lbs.

Still doing half marathons about once a month. Last weekend my hubby and I did a killer trail half marathon in the mountains of northern New Mexico. It was super duper tough but we finished it. And there were 7 people behind us!

Hap Hap Happy Sunday (it's an S day!) to my No S friends :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:59 pm

Nice to hear that S's are contained and the "rules" feel natural.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 am

Glad to see you still around and that things are going well for you. I bet it's really nice to not have to think about it much. Good luck with those pull-ups.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:28 am

Hello to all my No S buddies!

:D

For the past couple months I was doing a "kicked up" version of No S. I entered a 12 week Body Transformation Contest at my kettle bell gym. I thought the "forced accountability" might finally kick these last lbs to the curb.

The contest ended last week. I have a pretty good chance of winning.

I'd post my before and after photos but I'm not sure how to do it. I had no idea how puffy I looked 12 weeks ago!

Losing the extra lbs helped me move up in kettle bell rank. I still am working on pull ups, I'll get there!

I need to figure out what to do with my blog. Maybe I'll do a Vanilla S challenge. I miss you guys, I just need to think of something to write about on a regular basis.

Keep on No S'ing!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:53 am

Glad to see you doing so well. Good luck with the contest, I
bet your massively proud of yourself - as you should be :)

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:57 am

Great to be able to follow your NoS journey for all this time! I'm right at the beginning - and it's so helpful to find out how other people have fared over a longer period of time.

:D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:42 am

Good luck with the contest! If you figure out how to post the pictures, it would be interesting to see. Great job on moving up in the kettle bell rankings, and I'll be interested to see your challenge.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks for the kudos guys!

I won the contest! First place in the women's division!

25 lbs in 12 weeks. That was my goal, 2 lbs a week. The crazy thing was that I lost 13 inches! No wonder my underwear is baggy!

It feels so great to reach a goal. People have been asking me how I lost the weight. I tell them that I cut out snacking and decreased my sugar intake. And portion control.

In other words, the No S Diet. I tweaked the diet to give me a weight loss boost. Instead of eating a piece of cake on S days, I only took 1 bite. Kind of like radical portion control. It wasn't as hard as I anticipated. As long as I could have 1 bite, I was fine. If I cut out sugar completely, I would have been dreaming about brownies.

I also ate 2 meals a day, at 11 and 6. I've been doing different forms of intermittent fasting for a long time. Two meals a day was easy.

I'm pretty much at my goal weight. Wow, I haven't written that in well...forever. So now what?

Vanilla S. Time to re-load my HabitCal and get a streak going!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:10 am

My gosh, I know someone who won! Congrats!

How much could YOU have been overeating before to lose 25 lbs. in 12 weeks? I thought you were already basically NO S-ing. I can't imagine how much more I would have to cut down to do that. I doubt it would be a way I could live forever. Although if my schedule allowed it, it's possible I could manage just fine on two meals. I just like to be able to sit and savor. My work schedule wouldn't allow that now, and I just don't like working every day eating nothing until 12:40 am. If nothing else, I loves me cafe au lait!

So, do you have any idea what your bodyfat is? What's your BMI now? Did you lift weights separately from kettlebells? How much time per week were you putting in on exercise? Were you running, too?

Just like the girls around the lunch table...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi oolala!

I'm shocked at how I changed my body in 12 weeks. I was the oldest woman too, I'm 58 years old. I've got to figure out how to post my before and after photos.

The funny thing is that until I saw my before photo, I thought I looked fine. I was shocked t see how puffy I was, especially in my face and stomach. Now, in the right light and in certain angles, I can see half an ab!

I was eating lots of carbs, on N and S days. Bread, pasta, even one plate adds up to lots of carbs! Some folks do fine on a carb heavy diet, I'm not one of them. It's a vicious cycle for me. Eating a sandwich for lunch triggers my cravings for dessert. Eventually I would give in and eat dessert before the weekend, ruining my Vanilla S streak. Over and over again.

Carbs hold water in my body, the initial weight loss was that. Reducing the puffiness was a great motivator to keep going. Soon my pants were loose. Then people started commenting on how good I looked. These were the key elements that kept me on track.

I did lots of low impact hiking sprinkled in with days of run/walks. Kettle bell classes about 4 times a week, unless I was out of town for work. When I was in hotels, I did shorter workouts using high intensity interval training.

I'm shifting my focus to strength training. In October there is a national contest held in gyms across the country. My gym is one of the facilities. You can see how you compare to people in your age group using 3 movements. Pullups, snatching a kettle bell and barbell deadlift. I want to compete in this! But I have to get stronger.

Yipes, that's alot of talking about me, I better end this post! I'll stop over to your blog and say hi!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Traveling for work until Thursday.

In the"olden" days (before No S), I would spend a good portion of my Per Diem on dessert type stuff. Now I spent it on turkey slices, cheese and hard boiled eggs.

I also ensure that the hotels I stay in have mini fridges and a gym.

Change is good!