Make Room for Mushrooms

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
wosnes

Make Room for Mushrooms

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Again Recipe for Health from the Well blog: Make Room for Mushrooms

And maybe not as healthy, but very good, Pioneer Woman's Beef Stew with Mushrooms. I doubled the mushrooms in this. When I reheated the leftovers, it needed a little liquid and I added a dab of sour cream. Then it reminded me of Beef Stroganoff.

And, a favorite that I've not made for some time:

Mushroom Velvet Soup

1/4 cup butter
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced* (button or crimini)
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups stock (I use vegetable or beef)
1 cup sour cream

Melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, parsley and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until all liquid has evaporated, abut 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for about a minute. Gradually blend in stock and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Blend mushroom soup in blender or food processor until smooth, adding sour cream a portion at a time. Return to pan and heat until steaming. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

*I use a pound of mushrooms and saute them all together and blend half as directed then add the remaining half to the pan after the soup has been blended.

I also sometimes add a splash (1-2 tablespoons) of sherry and/or soy sauce. Either (or both) really "deepen" the flavor.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:36 am

I tried the recipe for beef stew with mushrooms and it was scrumptious!!!
Thanks for posting it.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.