Muffins

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
wosnes

Muffins

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:21 pm

I found this recipe for muffins a couple of weeks ago. As muffins go, they're rather low in sugar and fat content. They aren't very sweet and I think make a good breakfast muffin.

Cinnamon Sugar Mini Muffins (that taste like cupcakes!)

Ingredients:

Muffins:

3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup milk

Topping:

1 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

1) In a mixing bowl, beat together egg and sugar until fluffy. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; beat just until combined (the mixture will be crumbly).

2)In a measuring cup, combine milk, oil and vanilla; add to flour mixture and mix well.

3) Pour into muffin cups or mini muffin cups lined with papers or sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

4) Cool for 10 minutes. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Melt butter in a second small bowl. When muffins are cool enough to handle, remove from muffin pans and dip muffin tops in melted butter, then in cinnamon sugar mixture.

OR, for regular muffins:

Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with 1/2-cup capacity with vegetable cooking spray, or use paper liners. Divide batter evenly among the cups. A spring-action regular or mini ice cream scoop works well. The muffin cups will be full.

Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 25 minutes.

Makes 12 regular muffins.

I'm going to make a batch with orange zest in the batter and and orange juice/brown sugar glaze. I think these would make a good blueberry muffin, too, maybe with some lemon zest in the batter as well.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

sunnytoh

Post by sunnytoh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 pm

wow what a recipe, yesterday i tried this one and it comes out to be delicious.
Thanks for sharing...

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:22 pm

The orange juice/brown sugar version was okay, but not great. They are so simple and so good.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."