A Taste of Home

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
wosnes

A Taste of Home

Post by wosnes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Examples of what troops from various countries are eating while on duty in Afghanistan.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Interesting!

When my son was in A'stan, they got burned out on the MREs and the next-step-up-from-the-MREs pretty quickly. Since he was there in summer and fall, he and his platoon started to go to the market and buy fresh veggies - mainly tomatoes, onions and green pepper - oil, and rice. Since they only had one pot, they had to saute the veggies then cook the rice on top of them. On a few occasions, they had chicken, butchered by one of the Afghan National Army guys.

As a Marine, he was stationed in a village in the Helmand province, right next door to the bazaar. He was some distance from a big base like Camp Leatherneck. I'm not sure his outpost even qualified technically as a "patrol base" so I don't know how typical his experience was.

bobmorton

Post by bobmorton » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:43 am

Very interesting one. You can determine the troop based on the content of their packages. All of them are complete to make you feel that you are at home.
Bob Morton
master number book reader